Olivier Giroud...

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I thought he had a shot saved early in the comp which Mbappe tapped in.
The goal against Peru, yeah, not sure it counts as a shot on target since it was instantly blocked by the defender.
Anyway, Giroud had a job to do for this team to work and he did it brilliantly.
Could he have gotten 1 or 2 goals along the way ? Of course but he's a world champion and nobody can take this away from him.
It's weird the amount of criticism he gets as if he was a "passenger" and got a "free world cup".
If you wanna talk about passengers look at Sidibé who was average all season, dogshit in preparations games and absolutely awful against Denmark.
Thank God we had Pavard to replace him...
Giroud probably won't be part of Euros 2020 group so we will find out quickly how France is going to adapt.
I don't think Lacazette can replace him. It will probably be Griezmann-Mbappe-Coman rotating with Dembele but there's no guarantee it will work.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Because Griezmann or whoever played better when he was on the same pitch as them (there is very little sample for when he did NOT play anyway) doesn’t mean he himself played well. He did not. Fellaini could have played centre forward for France.
You see, you clearly don't watch France. The sample is fairly big since Giroud plays around one out of two games, during international windows(for friendlies) Deschamps uses the starter during the first game and the other during the second. Not once the player that replaced him actually played well.

Schneckerl

Read what you wrote in brackets. That's why he plays. That's also why they're a better team with him than without him.
I understand that, just no need to defend how bad he was and make out that he somehow wasn't carried to the title. Was easily their weakest starter during the World Cup.

Canagel

It's embarrassing that he didn't score at the world cup. Not even a shot on target. Your the main striker ffs. It doesn't matter if he's helping players like Mbappe and Griezmann. Not even having a shot on goal despite playing every game bar one is not acceptable. It's a credit to the talent of this France team that they could win the world cup whilst a carrying a passenger upfront.

JPRouve

Scout
It's embarrassing that he didn't score at the world cup. Not even a shot on target. Your the main striker ffs. It doesn't matter if he's helping players like Mbappe and Griezmann. Not even having a shot on goal despite playing every game bar one is not acceptable. It's a credit to the talent of this France team that they could win the world cup whilst a carrying a passenger upfront.
He had a shot on goal but Mbappé decided otherwise. Not that it was enough.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You see, you clearly don't watch France. The sample is fairly big since Giroud plays around one out of two games, during international windows(for friendlies) Deschamps uses the starter during the first game and the other during the second. Not once the player that replaced him actually played well.
The sample I’m referring to is this World Cup specifically.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Also, my point is, Giroud hasn’t played well either! At least not in this World Cup. The defence seems to be that his teammates played well, which they did, but he did not.

JPRouve

Scout
The sample I’m referring to is this World Cup specifically.
Well that's stupid then because you don't chop and change during a World Cup particularly when you know by experience that the alternatives will create a lot of problems. If the other players like Lacazette and Martial had the decency to actually fight for their place, you would have an argument but here there is none, the alternatives have been wank. And I'm not a fan of that set up at all, I just accept reality.

JPRouve

Scout
Also, my point is, Giroud hasn’t played well either! At least not in this World Cup. The defence seems to be that his teammates played well, which they did, but he did not.
And my point is that the alternative are worse, we actually saw it. Just accept that France has a weak point that's it.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
We are talking about France here, no one cares about Arsenal.
Club form is generally a better indication of a players true level. I'd say he performed at his level this world cup. That France were able to win the thing with Giroud girouding around speaks a lot of their attacking talent.

JPRouve

Scout
Club form is generally a better indication of a players true level. I'd say he performed at his level this world cup. That France were able to win the thing with Giroud girouding around speaks a lot of their attacking talent.
But for France Giroud's true level is irrelevant, the level that matters is the one that he has with this group of players, it's exactly like Podolski, Giroud has had a very good career for France and he has been one of the most consistent player in the last 4 years. There is zero argument against his selection and his starting spot because the competition has been sub par and because he actually played well, now it happens that during this WC he wasn't good but that's out of the norm for him with France.

Nick7

I understand that, just no need to defend how bad he was and make out that he somehow wasn't carried to the title. Was easily their weakest starter during the World Cup.
Not defending how he individually did, but he worked for France, and that's all that really matters. They could do a lot better, but there just isn't the talent there to improve for what they want him to bring to the team.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
And my point is that the alternative are worse, we actually saw it. Just accept that France has a weak point that's it.
Well France don’t exactly have a weak centre forward area. I accept that they haven’t made it work consistently with the others yet though, but they do have better strikers than Giroud.

In fairness, I understand that you have little complaints as long as the team is delivering!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Also, in fairness to Giroud, he is usually a far bigger threat than he was this WC. He got 4 goals in the Euros if I’m not mistaken.

RyRoc

Because Griezmann or whoever played better when he was on the same pitch as them (there is very little sample for when he did NOT play anyway) doesn’t mean he himself played well. He did not. Fellaini could have played centre forward for France.
He's scored over 30 goals for France, is like their third highest goalscorer ever. Didn't have the best of tournaments but still did a good enough job, and actually was very important in the game against Argentina. He's been a very good player for France, unquestionably IMO and agree with those that say they are worse without him.

RyRoc

Do you really believe this? And embarrassing - do you honestly think he's sitting there with his hands on the World Cup embarrassed? 10 years ago he was an amateur professional footballer. Now he's a world cup winner, and has scored over 100 goals for Arsenal - one of the biggest clubs in the Premier League, whilst also picking up a few cups on the way. Not to mention he was the top goalscorer in the French league when leading a very modest Montepelier side to the French League title. For me the guy has had an incredible career given what he's come from.

JPRouve

Scout
Well France don’t exactly have a weak centre forward area. I accept that they haven’t made it work consistently with the others yet though, but they do have better strikers than Giroud.

In fairness, I understand that you have little complaints as long as the team is delivering!
They actually have a weak one because once again it's a team consideration, the other strikers have very different tools, they don't fit well with Griezmann and they will require a lot of tactical changes. You are looking at things in isolation which is interesting if we are ranking players but is totally misguided if we are talking about a team and its synergy. We all agree that Mbappé or Lacazette are better strikers but first neither bring Giroud's physicality, then they aren't ideal for Griezmann. Now if you choose to move Mbappé and replace him with Dembélé then you defensively weaken your right wing and you add a player that isn't a good fit for your efficiency oriented approach, you also need to remember that Pavard is a young player out of position, you can't consistently leave him on an island.

Honestly my problem here is more that you don't use hindsight, you don't take into account the fact that for example Coman was coming back from injury and missed the WC because of it, he alone would have changed the options, you don't take into account that outside of Mbappé the other options have not been good individually and to be frank they haven't shown any will to displace Giroud. The reality is that an out of form Giroud was a better option than the others but that was only true this summer, it should be different from October since the World champions will most likely be selected in September.

flappyjay

.. or Stephane Guivarch, if you prefer.

Many people have questioned the style of France’s football this World Cup, but for me, their achievement is much better when considering they practically won the World Cup playing with 10 men. Giroud posed absolutely no threat on goal at all, and I didn’t see any great hold up play either. Useless.

Once France upgrade that position, they will be totally unstoppable.
He brings the best of out of that forward line. Griezmann looked lost in their first game so much he got subbed off early. From then on he has been starting and Griezmann , Mbappe benefited from it. He is also a great at linking with the other players, remember Pogba's vs Australia I think

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
https://m.sportskeeda.com/football/world-cup-2018-olivier-giroud-the-unsung-hero

“He is important for our style, we need his supporting play. It's good if he scores but Olivier is always very generous and doesn't complain about working hard"."He might not have the flamboyant style but the team needs him even if he doesn't score." these words by Didier Deschamps sums up how important he has been.

meamth

Poor man's Berbatov. It's fine what he did for France. Pretty much laid the foundation for Griezmann and Mbappe combination, which is vital for the title run.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Poor man's Berbatov. It's fine what he did for France. Pretty much laid the foundation for Griezmann and Mbappe combination, which is vital for the title run.
In what way is he similar to Berbatov? :houllier:

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
.. or Stephane Guivarch, if you prefer.

Many people have questioned the style of France’s football this World Cup, but for me, their achievement is much better when considering they practically won the World Cup playing with 10 men. Giroud posed absolutely no threat on goal at all, and I didn’t see any great hold up play either. Useless.

Once France upgrade that position, they will be totally unstoppable.
I am in shock that you pretend you know more about the french team than Didier Deschamps.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Am I the only one who thought he had a good tournament? He missed a few easy chances but - even at his very best - he misses easy chances. That's kind of his signature move. The anguished expression after missing a presentable chance. Sometimes he makes up for that by scoring an absolute blinder, or coming off the bench to get his head on the end of a cross. But he's never been a striker who you could expect much more from. Overall, though, I thought he gave a good account of himself. Linked up well, constantly put pressure on the opposition central defenders, his movement was good and he worked hard. Maybe lacked any 8 or 9 out of 10 performances but a solid 7 out of 10 overall. I certainly don't think he was noticeably worse than Harry Kane or Mandzukic, for example.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
If Giroud had scored then France wouldn't have won.

They only win World Cups when their main striker doesn't score a goal. Stephane Guivarc'h = Olivier Giroud.

JPRouve

Scout
If Giroud had scored then France wouldn't have won.

They only win World Cups when their main striker doesn't score a goal. Stephane Guivarc'h = Olivier Giroud.
Guivarc'h wasn't the main striker.:p

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Guivarc'h wasn't the main striker.:p
He started more games up front than anyone else though didn't he? Including the quarter, semi and final. So he became the main striker, despite Trezeguet and Dugarry also playing/being there.

JPRouve

Scout
He started more games up front than anyone else though didn't he? Including the quarter, semi and final. So he became the main striker, despite Trezeguet and Dugarry also playing/being there.
That's correct, to be fair iirc he was supposed be the main striker but injured himself.:D

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Giroud was at least better than Guivarch, who was total trash and very fortunate to have a WC winning medal. Although I’m sure I will be told he was crucial to the team.

JPRouve

Scout
Giroud was at least better than Guivarch, who was total trash and very fortunate to have a WC winning medal. Although I’m sure I will be told he was crucial to the team.
So Deschamps wasn't enough, now you attack Jacquet?

I don't remember clearly but apparently he was really bad.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
So Deschamps wasn't enough, now you attack Jacquet?

I don't remember clearly but apparently he was really bad.
I ‘attack’ Giroud and Guivarch, simply because I am a football fan who watched the play football and was left unimpressed. Ffs!

JPRouve

Scout
I ‘attack’ Giroud and Guivarch, simply because I am a football fan who watched the play football and was left unimpressed. Ffs!
You missed it.:D

Luke1995

So, Inter is trying to get him. Good move or do they just want him as backup to Lukaku ?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
So, Inter is trying to get him. Good move or do they just want him as backup to Lukaku ?
Inter need to be investigated, there’s some dodgy laundering going on with PL clubs! They literally offer to take all the left over rubbish that PL teams can’t shift, consistently!

Luke1995

Inter need to be investigated, there’s some dodgy laundering going on with PL clubs! They literally offer to take all the left over rubbish that PL teams can’t shift, consistently!
Aren't they like the second richest club in Italy though ?