Ollie Watkins - Brentford Striker

SadlerMUFC

What about Ollie Watkins from Brentford? He's 23 years old, he's English, he's leading the Championship in scoring, and he has good off the ball movement as proved by how much he scores in and around the 6 yard box. He will also put his body on the line to get to a ball. He basically ticks every box Ole is apparently looking for...

SadlerMUFC

Is this a game now to see who's the 'edgiest' striker we can go for?
It's a hell of a lot better than the rubbish we've been rumoured with. Joshua King? He was sold for a reason. It would be like bringing Chris Eagles back to help out on the right wing. I also don't see what's "edgy" about Watkins. He's young and scoring a ton of goals in the Championship...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It's a hell of a lot better than the rubbish we've been rumoured with. Joshua King? He was sold for a reason. It would be like bringing Chris Eagles back to help out on the right wing. I also don't see what's "edgy" about Watkins. He's young and scoring a ton of goals in the Championship...
Somewhere in between bringing Pogba back and bringing Eagles back in reality. King is an established good PL player.

CM10

He was only converted to being a striker from a left winger this season. He has done well but don't think he's ready for a really big move yet, nor is he the traditional number 9 that I think we're looking for.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Doesn't have a Norwegian agent, so Ole doesn't have contacts himself for him.

A bit of a joke obviously, but I'm under the impression that Ole realize we need another striker/attacker for numbers, but that no decent amount of money is available. Håland, King and Ighalo all have Norwegian contact-points. In Kings case it's Ole's best friend and business-partner Jim Solbakken who is the players agent.

None of the strikers we've been linked with have had any sort of price-tag on them. Not a bad thing of course, but it does make me think money is an issue.

SadlerMUFC

He was only converted to being a striker from a left winger this season. He has done well but don't think he's ready for a really big move yet, nor is he the traditional number 9 that I think we're looking for.
I hate this reasoning of "not ready yet". When is a player ready? After another team makes a go for them and their price skyrockets? I was saying a couple years ago that we should sign Maguire from Hull and heard the same thing. 2 years later and we pay 80m instead of 25-30m...

el diablorojo

He was never leaving this window unless a massive bid came in so you are talking 20-25 million pounds anyway here is what you need to know:

Watkins believe it or not is playing his first season as a centre forward having joined as a wide attacker and having been played as one for the last two seasons. To be honest it started slowly for him this season and lots of fans doubted he had it in him to play that role (CF) despite Dean Smith's, Thomas Frank's and Phil Giles' (one of the DOFs) insistence that he would make the transition to CF at some point. He has been superb in the role though and his all round centre forward play has improved immensely. He can hold the ball, bring others into the game, scare the life out of defenders with his pace and strength and most importantly put the ball in the back of the net.

el diablorojo

He is certainly not the "break his nose to score a goal" player OGS has mentioned although he is getting there, I think it would be criminal in terms of his development to make a move to a club where he'd be on the bench mostly at least initially.

He's also a lovely lad and would be a credit to any club he joined - certainly no big time charlie.

Art Vandelay

Doesn't have a Norwegian agent, so Ole doesn't have contacts himself for him.

A bit of a joke obviously, but I'm under the impression that Ole realize we need another striker/attacker for numbers, but that no decent amount of money is available. Håland, King and Ighalo all have Norwegian contact-points. In Kings case it's Ole's best friend and business-partner Jim Solbakken who is the players agent.

None of the strikers we've been linked with have had any sort of price-tag on them. Not a bad thing of course, but it does make me think money is an issue.
I think the links with the Norwegian contact points today are possibly Ole himself having to get involved at the last minute as it took so long for everyone else to negotiate Fernandes. Basically getting Solbakken to get things moving for him just to get someone in today to help out.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I think the links with the Norwegian contact points today are possibly Ole himself having to get involved at the last minute as it took so long for everyone else to negotiate Fernandes. Basically getting Solbakken to get things moving for him just to get someone in today to help out.
Yeah, I too think it's Ole trying to work something out on a low budget.

Mark Pawelek

Brentford are 5th in the Championship. Why would they throw away an chance to get promoted to premiership by selling him to us. Promotion is worth tens of millions to them.

CM10

I hate this reasoning of "not ready yet". When is a player ready? After another team makes a go for them and their price skyrockets? I was saying a couple years ago that we should sign Maguire from Hull and heard the same thing. 2 years later and we pay 80m instead of 25-30m...
We're talking about a player who has never played at Premier League level and has been playing as a striker for less than a year. You can't expect to throw someone like that in at the deep end and deliver. We have far more talented players in Martial and Rashford who have struggled with that burden when deployed as the main striker this season.

For reference, Maupay posted better numbers for Brentford than Watkins has (though Watkins could still surpass that). Andre Gray and Scott Hogan weren't far behind either, and neither of them have amounted to much since. I'd be very, very surprised if Watkins ended up being anything more than a midtable Premier League player.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
The announcer and referee of Gaz Vs DJS the meet!
That's a sensible outlook...