Ona Batlle | is leaving and will join Barcelona

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Great stuff! Eva Navarro to follow?

Can't help but feel she'll be off to Barcelona/Madrid in a year, but looking forward to see how she does here.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
A bit of background on her. She's 21, a fullback and she's already a full international for Spain. She comes very highly rated - with Real Madrid and Barcelona (her birthplace and her youth club) in for her.

Her contract with Levante ended at the end of June, but the club put a 500k Euros "training fee" price tag on her - a figure way beyond anything you ever see as a transfer fee in the women's game. Fortunately for us, those training compensation clauses only apply to to other Spanish clubs. The amounts being set in the compensation clauses are now being contested in the courts in Spain but that could take a while and Ona preferred to move rather than gamble on the outcome/timing of those cases.

She's signed a 2 year (+1) contract, so hopefully we'll have time to convince her that Manchester has more to offer than just rain.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
A bit of background on her. She's 21, a fullback and she's already a full international for Spain. She comes very highly rated - with Real Madrid and Barcelona (her birthplace and her youth club) in for her.

Her contract with Levante ended at the end of June, but the club put a 500k Euros "training fee" price tag on her - a figure way beyond anything you ever see as a transfer fee in the women's game. Fortunately for us, those training compensation clauses only apply to to other Spanish clubs. The amounts being set in the compensation clauses are now being contested in the courts in Spain but that could take a while and Ona preferred to move rather than gamble on the outcome/timing of those cases.

She's signed a 2 year (+1) contract, so hopefully we'll have time to convince her that Manchester has more to offer than just rain.
Great news. Can't wait for the women to start playing again.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Great stuff! Eva Navarro to follow?

Can't help but feel she'll be off to Barcelona/Madrid in a year, but looking forward to see how she does here.
It would be lovely if Eva did come, she's another real talent and I'm sure it would help them both to settle in.

It is true though - assuming her development goes as expected, the temptations for her are going to be massive next year. But next year's a long time away. Meanwhile she should do a really good job for us if she settles in, and from what I've seen of her she will hit the ground running. After that, who knows - maybe she'll get hooked on Manchester and (if the fans are allowed back into the stadium) maybe she'll enjoy the crowds. :D

First interview (in Spanish with subtitles) and first message to the fans in English

Last edited:

TrustInOle

Sounds a prospect indeed! Replacement finally for Greenwood?

Web of Bissaka

This is their 2nd season right? ongoing or done? Highest position is 4th, not bad for a new club-team.

Next season Casey (as usual) is gunning to climb higher it seems. Great.

2 new signings and more incoming I'm sure.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
She's been called up for Spain's team, match is on the 19th September.

I've just taken a look at the guidance covering "Elite Sport" and travel.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-phased-return-of-sport-and-recreation/elite-sport-return-to-cross-border-competition-guidance#:~:text=International elite sportspersons and essential,you travel to the UK.

It looks like Ona will be subject to the standard 14 day quarantine on her return to the UK. Vamos a ver.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
That sucks. Guessing we can't get an exemption like Liverpool managed to get from the FA?
Pernille Harder apparently didn't need to quarantine when she arrived at Chelsea. The Wolfsburg bubble/testing gave her a dispensation despite being in Spain for the WCL.

It's not obvious that they'll be able to claim a similar safe bubble for the Spanish team. That said, I suspect they're still trying to write the rules - it's not going to be easy. I wouldn't be surprised if the government put the responsibility on the FA and the FA end up putting the responsibility on the club, with points deducted for matches that have to be cancelled.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
A new interview with her.

It's quite a long interview in Spanish - but I might do a few excerpts later if people are interested.

One nice answer on the nature of the team, having mentioned that she didn't really know any of their names before planning the move. What she's discovered:
"They aren't a team that was bought, they are from here, or they've grown here, and I love that philosophy."

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Confirmed. What a joke to lose her and Russo like that.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
I really feel for the entire United women team - they are the biggest losers in this Glazer sale saga. If an offer was accepted 6 months ago, maybe we keep Russo and Batlle (Best RB in the world, IMO) and look to strengthen further to be able to seriously challenge Chelsea.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I'll miss her and the team will miss her. She's been one of our most consistent sources of goalscoring opportunities and she's been a sound defender as well.

The pull of Barcelona was always going to be hard for her to resist. I just hope we didn't lose her over contract procrastination (the deal should have been done last season when she was already a top player for us) or not offering competitive money and that in the end it was primarily about going home.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Sad but not unexpected, she was more important to the team than Russo but I wish her good luck as shes going 'home' and to a better team

Club need to get replacements in ASAP though

Glorio

Just feels like our stardust is being wiped away in one window. Let's see who comes in.
We're going into a season where we needed to strengthen the first team and improve depth as well, as things considered.

We seem to be regressing instead