Film Once Upon a Time In Hollywood (2019)

Chairman Steve

I reckon the Sharon Tate character will survive her ordeal and get revenge on the Manson family - a bit of alternate universe kind of stuff (like Hitler getting shot up in the theatre in IB)
You know what, I can totally see Tarantino pulling something like that off with this.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Yeah, pity for you a man didn't have his career completely destroyed just because you don't like his movies. Unlucky.
That's what you're reading into my post? Honestly?
The man fired a woman who complained to him about being sexually harassed. Don't you think this is a very valid reason to seriously dislike someone?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This doesn't look great so far - I'm worrying it's going to be like Hail Cesar (showing us a nostalgic vision of Hollywood with very little happening)

But it's only a teaser after all.

I reckon the Sharon Tate character will survive her ordeal and get revenge on the Manson family - a bit of alternate universe kind of stuff (like Hitler getting shot up in the theatre in IB)
Funny, I was just thinking I hope it's like Tarantino's version of Hail Caesar, a film about Hollywood in which Manson is just one part. Or, a film that takes place in the context of Manson rather than being strictly about him, sort of like Summer of Sam was.

The three things I definitely don't want from Tarantino are a) a film that in any way glorifies Manson b) a film that revels in Tate's murder or c) a stupid revenge flick a la Django and IB.

It would also be nice if he managed to end a film in something other than a bloodbath but that's probably asking for too much from someone who is (in his own way) an extremely conservative director.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Funny, I was just thinking I hope it's like Tarantino's version of Hail Caesar, a film about Hollywood in which Manson is just one part. Or, a film that takes place in the context of Manson rather than being strictly about him, sort of like Summer of Sam
Such a great film!

Fingeredmouse

That's what you're reading into my post? Honestly?
The man fired a woman who complained to him about being sexually harassed. Don't you think this is a very valid reason to seriously dislike someone?
Did he? I didn't know about this. I had read about the Thurman stuff which is pretty bad in of itself and certainly seems abusive, but was unaware of further incidents. I'll look it up.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Did he? I didn't know about this. I had read about the Thurman stuff which is pretty bad in of itself and certainly seems abusive, but was unaware of further incidents. I'll look it up.
It was Daryl Hannah. When she complained to him about Weinstein, Tarantino fired her from the promo tour to Kill Bill.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Is Mark Wahlberg a terrible actor, or is this opinion the result of my lack of movie knowledge?

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
It's basically my standard response to anything Tarantino related. Can't stand the guy, his movies are overrated as feck and its an absolute shame, that he came out of the Weinstein scandal without any negative consequences.
That quote probably says more about you as a person than any of Tarantinos films ever did about him.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Mockney has a thing about it. I believe he made a long post about how shit it is compared to Infernal Affairs a few years back.
It was a great rant:

The Departed 6.5 / Infernal Affairs 9

OK, I'm gonna go on a rant here. I had an argument about this last night and saw IA mentioned in another thread so anyone who doesn't want to be spoiled stop reading

SPOILERS AHEAD

Right, I'm often accused by my mates of hating The Departed. This isn't true, I think it's a very good film, highly enjoyable and well acted. I can gladly sit through it 3 or 4 times. Problem is, everything good about it is ripped straight from Infernal Affairs and everything bad about it is added in. And the adds in make it far far worse than it's original counterpart. How Scorsese and WIllian Monahan in particular walked away with Oscars for this is something that annoys me greatly....It's not that it was bad, but that they managed to remake a film, with more money, great actors, a great director and all the freedom in the world, and they made it worse!!...How is that an achievement!

First off, Marky Mark. Now Mark is actually a good edition character wise. His character doesn't exist in the original and in terms of dialogue and on screen presence he's great. Problem is, his character is completely pointless and in 2 crucial instances, ruins the film for me. In The Departed when Martin Sheen's character is thrown from the roof (played out exactly as it did in IA) it's not the pivotal moment is should be because Marky Mark exists. In IA, he is the only person who knows the Di Caprio/Tony Leung Character is undercover so his death is a shocking and significant event. Thats it for Leo/Leung as far as we know. In TD, Marky Mark knows, so the whole importance is removed.

Then he comes into play again at the end by shooting the Matt Damon/Andy Lau character. There are several things here that annoy me. Firstly Damon is given no profound characterization in the film. He's the bad guy and we hate him. In IA, Lau is given a (forgive the word) journey in which he gradually comes to realize he's the bad guy and tries to atone for his ways. The shooting of his boss is the first step in this, not born out of self preservation as in The Departed, but down as much to guilt & atonement as it is to betrayal & saving his own skin.

Lau is actually the more interesting of the 2 in IA and crucially is the one who re-instates Di Caprio/Leung's status as a policeman after his death, even going so far as to bury him next to the captain. Something he does out of choice, not desperation.

The whole point of Infernal Affairs is the duality and jealously between the two. Both wished to have lived the other life. Di Caprio/Leung wanted the life of a respectable police man and Damon/Lau wanted the love and appreciation of The Gangster. In the end Lau is extremely jealous of Leung for doing the right thing. This is demonstrated beautifully in the last line of the film, one completely cut from The Departed.

At the begining, when both are in the Acadamy and Di Caprio/Leung is faux thrown out, they do it publically in IA, with the officer throwing him out telling the other cadets (including the Lau/Damon character) "Who wants to be like this man?" as a threat for those who don't take it seriously....At the funeral Lau thinks back to this incident and then says to himself - "I do". Brilliant!...Except in The Departed we end on Marky Mark shooting Damon/Lau because he's the bad guy, and then a rat scuttles past in some pathetic attempt at a visual metaphor that presumably seems cool to Monahan/Scorsese (yeah he's a rat, geddit? don't be a rat!!..feck yeah!!)

Then we have the stupid love triangle were Di Caprio (being the hero) sleeps with Damon's (being the villian) girl. In the end we find out Damon in impotent and shit in bed and the baby is probably Di Caprio's...What? Utter wanky bollocks....no such hokey macho one-up-manship hollywood tripe happens in Infernal Affairs and I'm glad it didn't...

Even the title is better!...Infernal Affiars (the original Hong Kong title referenced the lowest circle of Hell, so 'Infernal' play on 'Internal Affairs' is a brilliant bit of word play) Whereas 'The Departed is just some suedo intellectual guff Jack spouts about the dead.

In summary if you've seen The Departed, watch Infernal Affairs, If you've seen neither, watch Infernal Affairs FIRST!

Mega rant over..

HTG

Supports
Bayern
That quote probably says more about you as a person than any of Tarantinos films ever did about him.
Yeah, I’m an asshole for wanting consequences for people who knowingly enable a sexual predator. Not only did he enable Weinstein, he actively supported his actions, by pressuring at least one person, who wanted to something about it. That’s why Daryl Hannah got fired, after all.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Funny, I was just thinking I hope it's like Tarantino's version of Hail Caesar, a film about Hollywood in which Manson is just one part. Or, a film that takes place in the context of Manson rather than being strictly about him, sort of like Summer of Sam was.

The three things I definitely don't want from Tarantino are a) a film that in any way glorifies Manson b) a film that revels in Tate's murder or c) a stupid revenge flick a la Django and IB.

It would also be nice if he managed to end a film in something other than a bloodbath but that's probably asking for too much from someone who is (in his own way) an extremely conservative director.
I mean, you definitely won’t get a) or b), either would be ludicrous. Hopefully not c), we’ll see.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I mean, you definitely won’t get a) or b), either would be ludicrous. Hopefully not c), we’ll see.
In fairness it wouldn't be the first film to exploit the Manson murders for schlocky entertainment. That piece of trash film Wolves at the Door from a couple of years ago jumps to mind.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I can't believe that it's only his 9th movie!

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Looks good. Lacks a bit of the usual Tarantino violence based on the trailer but

(Not sure if I have to spoiler this but rather be safe than sorry)

based on Sharon Tate and “Charlie” at the end, I guess that’s some of the Manson murders?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Looks pretty bland, and I didn't enjoy his last 2 films so might wait for some reviews on this myself before flocking to the cinema.

Fully Fledged

So, to be clear, you think the best films Tarantino has been involved in are Machete, Desperado, Grindhouse/Planet Terror/Deathproof, Four Rooms, From Dusk till Dawn, Sin City and Kill Bill Vol II (or the shit Kill Bill as it is better known)?
These are better than, say, Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction?
Loved True Romance as well.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
In before the hate from people who watch superhero movies(those who don't enjoy are free to criticise).

stepic

Can’t wait for this. Getting some decent reviews too from what I can see so far.