One player from the club's past to make a difference this season

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
If you could get Dr Who to go and kidnap a player from a clubs past to improve them the most this season, who would it be for:

Man United -
Man City - Aguero (I'll fill this one in for you, nobody is picking anyone else)
Liverpool -
Chelsea -
Arsenal -
Chelsea -
Spurs -

Feel free to do any of the other, shit teams if you want. (This part is a joke, white text makes it a joke).

For me, i'd have the following:
Keane (Roy)
Aguero
Souness
Drogba
Viera
Gascoigne

Glorio

Keano

Peak Ronaldo, Rooney or Tevez though ... :drool: :drool: :drool:

Spaghetti

Mom's
Roy Keane is who I thought of when I saw the title. Although if he leaves, we could also choose Ronaldo (2007-8 version).

Disagree about Aguero. I think Yaya would make a bigger difference for City. Aguero has been replaced with Haaland.

Liverpool - Mane
Spurs - Modric
Arsenal - Adams
Chelsea - Drogba

Skills

Snitch
Man United - Paul Scholes
Chelsea - Didier Drogba
Liverpool - Steven Gerrard
Arsenal - Thierry Henry
Spurs - Bale
Man City - Yaya Toure

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Man United - Hard to look past Keane/Scholes. Though I think Carrick has a bit of Cruijff-y footy vibes about him that ten Hag would’ve liked.
Man City - D. Silva, probably. Way better than their current wide playmakers and probably slots back in beside KDB like he did before he left. (Yaya for the beef against Pep)
Liverpool - Suarez
Chelsea - Drogba
Arsenal - Henry. You’re not picking anybody else here, surely?
Spurs - Modric

Little bit of a cop-out with just picking the best player(s) in the history of the club for one or two of them, but they’d probably make more of an impact still just by their sheer quality.

Syphon Wallet

Has to be Keane, especially right now... What a difference he would make to this team :rolleyes:

Remember the geese

From our past, I'd be taking Keane or Van Nistelrooy right now.

Arsenal: Henry
Chelsea: Makelele
Liverpool: Suarez :nervous:
City: Aguero
Spurs: Carrick

Basically we need a striker and a deep midfielder.

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think Keane, Suarez, Modric, Vieira, Drogba and Silva.

Skills

Snitch
Oh shit, yeah. Probably. Although Torres was insanely good in his first season or two.
Yeah Torres was brilliant. They've always been lucky with forwards even when they were shit - Fowler, Owen, Torres then Suarez.

Stevie G in Henderson's place is also a terrifying proposition.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah Torres was brilliant. They've always been lucky with forwards even when they were shit - Fowler, Owen, Torres then Suarez.

Stevie G in Henderson's place is also a terrifying proposition.
I was thinking that recently. Obviously Liverpool’s long wait for a title was rough but they had some indisputably terrific players to enjoy during the lean years. We’ve gone a fecking decade with not one player who could hold a candle to any of those players you named (or peak Steven Gerrard).

Remember the geese

If I wanted a forward, I'd take Rooney. He'd be dynamite, so fun to watch.
Yeah, I was just thinking more in terms of what we currently need. Van Nistelrooy would be better suited to being on his own up front. Although Rooney would be the perfect false 9 in the modern game. Either or would do nicely.

Skills

Snitch
I was thinking that recently. Obviously Liverpool’s long wait for a title was rough but they had some indisputably terrific players to enjoy during the lean years. We’ve gone a fecking decade with not one player who could hold a candle to any of those players you named (or peak Steven Gerrard).
I'd say its one of the reasons I've found it so frustrating the amount of money we've repeatedly spunked on CBs on the last 10 years, while relatively neglecting forwards. No football fan tunes into a game to watch a 200m defence.

That mindset has sucked the joy and fun out of the club. Bruno is the only player who's come close to having a talismanic trajectory here, and that's because he's one of the few players we've had who was exciting to watch.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'd say its one of the reasons I've found it so frustrating the amount of money we've repeatedly spunked on CBs on the last 10 years, while relatively neglecting forwards. No football fan tunes into a game to watch a 200m defence.

That mindset has sucked the joy and fun out of the club. Bruno is the only player who's come close to having a talismanic trajectory here, and that's because he's one of the few players we've had who was exciting to watch.
Actually, yeah. We’ll always have Bruno’s first year with us. That was great.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
  • Manchester United: Thought about Law to remedy the center forward issue, Best to scintillate on either flank, or one of Keane or Scholes. But Bobby Charlton would be perfect for ten Hag's first year in charge. Could play in midfield or attack (centrally and even out wide depending on his age), hard-worker who would be a positive role model for others, immense playmaker, fantastic dribbler, two-footed and sure to chip in with goals. Prototypical totaalvoetballer, and Mr. Man United.
  • Manchester City: Either Sergio Agüero to lead the charge, or David Silva (versatile possession-oriented attacker/midfielder, because you can never have too many of 'em under Guardiola).
  • Liverpool: Luis Suárez. Immediate replacement for the current weak links (Núñez and Firmino); willing presser (which will be appreciated by Klopp), prolific scorer, relatively unselfish and perfect tip-of-the-lance for Salah and Díaz.
  • Chelsea: Jimmy Greaves. Because goals, and more goals — the team needs a predator up front, and the guy had 130+ goals as well as a goals-per-game ratio of 0.78 by the age of 21. Goals.
  • Arsenal: Thierry Henry. Vieira could provide leadership and authoritative presence in the center of the pitch, maybe Bergkamp to organize the attack — but Henry would really propel the team from forward positions.
  • Tottenham Hotspur: Gareth Bale, providing he makes some sacrifices. Son—Kane—Bale could be devastating on counters under Conte (who doesn't have a complicated offensive scheme).

bringbackbebe

Man United - Paul Scholes
Chelsea - John Terry
Arsenal - Henry/Pires
Spurs - Berbatov/Keane
Liverpool - El Hadji Diouf
Man City - Joey Barton

SydneyRoughDiamond

United - Robson
liverpool - Ian Rush
Arsenal - Henry
Chelsea - Drogba