Only Fools and Horses Draft QF - Himann vs Indnyc

With all players at their peak, which team do you think would win this game? Edit

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

vs

Team Himann

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tactics: 4-2-3-1 with midfield pressing expecting balanced possession.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Defensive operation of the system:
  • In the defensive phase, this team employs a medium defensive block and shifts to a 4-5-1.
  • Zico drops into midfield, but also presses higher up the pitch and partners Eusebio.
  • In this system, the two centre-backs must be able to defend in a 1-vs-1 situation and understand both zonal and man-to-man marking. With Kohler and Godin, I feel this is a key strength of theirs and this tactic will naturally fit them.
  • The wingers drop deeper to help out their fullback, always looking to join the attack when possession is won.
  • The midfield duo is tasked to use their energy and protect the space in front of the defence.
Defensive goals:
  • The first aspect to mention regarding this tactic is to restrict the opposition in the midfield with 5 players patrolling that area - this is done to ensure that whoever is playing closest to the box drops deeper to collect the ball. We want to ensure that Henrik Larson's absence is felt and reduce any presence in the box.
  • The second goal is to ensure that when the ball is won, the counter is always on and a key tactic is to get the ball to Eusebio and let him burn teams with his pace, strength, and striking.
The following video shows some great footage of Eusebio's searing pace, fantastic shooting, and immense physical strength. This is what we want to unleash on the counter.

Attacking operation of the system:
  • Works like a typical 3-2-5 that you see in modern days - except that Azpilicueta is slightly more defensive-minded than Alves on the other flank.
  • One CM (Bonhof in this case) drops in-between the CBs and acts as the last line. This CM works on distribution and getting the ball to more creative attackers.
  • The other CM (McT) situated on the right to offer support but also protection for Alves's attacking forays.
  • Zico, Jinky, and Heynckes are the more creative forces here (essentially the 3 in the 4-2-3-1).
  • Zico in particular has the freedom to attack where he pleases and create chances as well as score them.

Attacking goals:
  • Unlock the defense and give Zico the freedom to move where he wants and options to play off.
  • Get one-on-one with those CBs.
This video features Zico vs Liverpool when they were one of the best teams in Europe. You can see him getting involved in the midfield battle, and dismantling them when he gets on the ball.

Team Indy

Tactics - 4-4-2 with pressing from the front with Mane, Blokhin, Keegan, and Matthews leading the press

Brehme is a bit more adventurous as a full back

Šjor Bepo

while we waiting on indy....
love a good pressing side and that front 3(other then Matthews who i have no clue if he fits or not) is lovely but what kills the game is Hoddle in a midfield 2, even without a pressing side that stands out so i can see Zico having a field day.
Himann has this in the bag but something is off in that team, too many ball dominant players for my liking.

Indnyc

love a good pressing side and that front 3(other then Matthews who i have no clue if he fits or not) is lovely but what kills the game is Hoddle in a midfield 2, even without a pressing side that stands out so i can see Zico having a field day.
Himann has this in the bag but something is off in that team, too many ball dominant players for my liking.
I quiet like Hoddle in a 2 especially with Keegan dropping in to add numbers.. Everyone is quite hard working..

On Matthews, I think he should be fine in this set up and could create a lot of chances..

On @Himannv team I am not sure Zico + Eusebio is the optimal usage of both of them.. I feel they like to be in the same areas and may get in each other’s way.. Though I’ll let people who’ve watched more of them decide

Himannv

If you're talking about the front 4 only, then yes, I agree there is an element of too much ball dominance there. As I see it, there are two main routes to goal for this team -

1. Win the ball off them and hit them on the counter.
2. When in possession and in the attacking phase, rely on that front 4 (probably Zico is the most likely route) to unlock their defence.

In the case of 1, I think Eusebio will be really hard to stop on the counter. I spent a bit of time watching him and I have to wonder why he isn't rated more on here and elsewhere (I include myself here). I think his pace and strength and ability to run at defences and take them on almost single-handedly at times is astounding. Racial undertones aside, I think Black Panther is quite an apt name for him. He really is a beast and a real handful for any defence to deal with. I don't feel that CB pairing will enjoy him bearing down on them.

Moving on to 2, I don't think off-the-ball running is the only way to break a team down. When this team has the ball they'll probe, explore an attack down the right flank with Alves overlapping or underlapping, Heynckes will try taking it into the final 3rd on the other flank, Eusebio might try to run at them or get on the end of a pass from Zico. I don't know for sure, but that's how I think they'll play it. Zico for me is the key to it though. He'll operate between the lines and create chances for others and for himself and I don't know if there's any stopping him here.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Zico looks an issue, although to be fair to Hoddle he spent much of his career in a midfield 2 and particularly played his best club football at Monaco with that system under Wenger.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It looks like 2 completely different teams randomly meshed together. Mane, Blokhin, Keegan... Matthews? I struggle to think of a player less suited for this front line. And then Hoddle behind them with only Saul to cover...

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Himannv On ball dominance, surely it's only Johnstone, Zico and Eusebio. Heynckes wasn't dominant from memory

Šjor Bepo

Zico looks an issue, although to be fair to Hoddle he spent much of his career in a midfield 2 and particularly played his best club football at Monaco with that system under Wenger.
Whenever i watched him his workrate was borderline pathetic and tbf that was was confirmed by multiple teammates.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I thought you need to have different formation on this round?

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Don't think we'll get peak Eusebio as CF. [Yeah, same old argument :D]
Why do you think so? Haven't been around long enough for the same old argument.

(Of course there are very different CF roles, so it naturally depends to the setup.)

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Why do you think so? Haven't been around long enough for the same old argument.

(Of course there are very different CF roles, so it naturally depends to the setup.)
For me his best position is Inside Right and secondary position would be Inside Left. His best ability is his ability to beat defenders with pace and bring the ball up from the deep. Being stuck as CF upfront doesn't utilize his attributes at all.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
For me his best position is Inside Right and secondary position would be Inside Left. His best ability is his ability to beat defenders with pace and bring the ball up from the deep. Being stuck as CF upfront doesn't utilize his attributes at all.
Yeah, getting stuck up front as a target man wouldn't be good at all. But as I said, that's not necessarily what a CF does, depending on the setup. So for me the question is more about role than position. What I certainly agree with, whatever the position/role, is that he should have freedom to make runs from deep, take on defenders, etc.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
@Himannv the team has great reinforcements potential with Eusebio and Zico in the bag. Definitely needs some sorting.