Only Fools and Horses QF - Michael vs P-nut

With all players at their peak, which team do you think would win this game? Edit Edit

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

vs

Team Michael

My team will play a 3-4-3 midfield diamond tactic based on van Gaal's Ajax team in which Litmanen scored 85 goals in 122 games in the 3 seasons selected.

Team P-nut

Klopps 433

Standard back 4 with the width provided by the full backs in TAA and Pearce.
Quick 1v1 defenders in Adams and King. Adams will take on the leadership of the defence.
King gets the nod over De Boer due to his pace and 1v1 defending. Injuries ruined him, but judging on a 3 year peak means his injuries can be discounted and analyse him as a player when on the pitch.

The midfield is made up of 2 way players.

Becks is tucked in from the right in what would likely be his position nowadays, I'd see him playing the position similar to De Bruyne when he plays in a midfield 3.
Pogba takes his position from his late Juve days with freedom to drift out left and get on the ball in more space.
Robson is the leader of the midfield and have an attacking talent that is occasionally missing from that Liverpool side.

Finney on the left is the flying winger on the left.
Bale the inside right with license to roam around the pitch and find space when cutting in.
Prime Rooney is something Firmino wishes he could reach. Combining an actual strikers job of scoring goals whilst still having the work rate to harrassing the opposing centre backs.

Last edited:

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I picked Finney when Michael was eliminated, weird one but it's legit :lol:

@Michaelf7777777 that team is just:drool:
@P-Nut can buy everything but Pogba? Probably the most anti Klopp player ever, just cant see it.
Juve Pogba and leading up to the world Cup was much more disciplined, and worked in a system rather than being the individual we see at United nowadays.

Combine that with his long passing ability, his driving runs and his ability to play quick 1 and 2 touch football when he chooses and he can elevate that Klopp midfield with taking away from what makes it work.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
TAA-Beckham-Bale is a cracking flank for Put with Rooney getting lots of opportunities....and with a back 3 would be hard for Michael to keep them out.
On the flip side, Michael's spine is super strong and plays well with lack of proper DM for PNut. Would prefer Finney and Simonsen swap flanks for Michael.

Hard to vote, but leaning slightly favouring Michael.

Himannv

Hard to vote. I love the front 3 in P-Nut's team but I'm not too sure about that midfield apart from Robson because I can't see the parallels with Klopp's Liverpool. The defense is fine but who plays that VVD role? It's a very important role in terms of moving the ball to the flanks. Pierce is more Milner than Robertson as well I suppose.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Recently seen a CL game with Rooney at CF, and he was excellent. Can play Firmino's role with added goal threat, and I'm sure Klopp would love to have him. Midfield seems a tiny bit makeshift due to reinforcement rules. Robson, Becks and a DM would have been ideal imo, but Matic was sheep-blocked anyway. (Edit: But I still think it works fine.)

Zanetti seems perfect for the RCB/RB role in Michael's side, not yet convinced about Cambiasso's Rijkaard impersonation.

Last edited:

Himannv

Recently seen a CL game with Rooney at CF, and he was excellent. Can play Firmino's role with added goal threat, and I'm sure Klopp would love to have him. Midfield seems a tiny bit makeshift due to reinforcement rules. Robson, Becks and a DM would have been ideal imo, but Matic was sheep-blocked anyway. (Edit: But I still think it works fine.)

Zanetti seems perfect for the RCB/RB role in Michael's side, not yet convinced about Cambiasso's Gullit impersonation.
Gullit played DM in that setup?

P-Nut

Just to answer most questions in one go...

The reason I think the midfield is a good iteration of Klopps is that they usually don't play with a nominated DM, sure Fabinho sometimes plays, but a lot of the time it's players like Keita, Henderson and Wijnaldum that make up that midfield. All are dynamic and attack as well as defend on those rapid counters.

They are all decent passers of the ball, but it is probably Hendersons long distance passes that stand out beyond the pure recycling of possession. Beckham covers that more than adequately and adds a De Bruyne like quality to the midfield of crossing from deep, with TAA offering the overlap.

Pogba is definitely the sore thumb, if the RR or injuries would have been different I'd have targeted a DM or played Ince as the sitter. However, at his peak Pogba was dynamic, carried the ball better than most midfielders on the planet, has insane long passing and was actually tactically disciplined.

VVD is replaced by Adams, he captained Arsenal to 2 title wins and kept clean sheets in almost half the games he played (115 in 255). The main quality VVD brings to that Liverpool back line is his leadership in that he instills confidence in those around him and here I feel Adams can elevate his team mates just as well.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Fair point, but it really shouldn't matter much as opponent lacks #10 and only has Pogba bombing in occasionally.
I think what mainly gives me doubts is that he situationally needs to play CB besides Hierro against Rooney and Bale (and Pogba pushing up too). They may not be the ideal central defense against the physical impact and speed of P-Nut's attackers. But I'm open to hear more pro-arguments about this.

In possession it should be fine, if I remember Cambiasso correctly.

P-Nut

On the subject of Michaelfs team Vardy would hate to be playing against King at his peak. He had stupid quick acceleration and top speed, evidenced by this snippet when he tracked back and caught Robben, who broke through in much similar fashion to what Vardy does on a regular basis.

Himannv

VVD is replaced by Adams, he captained Arsenal to 2 title wins and kept clean sheets in almost half the games he played (115 in 255). The main quality VVD brings to that Liverpool back line is his leadership in that he instills confidence in those around him and here I feel Adams can elevate his team mates just as well.
I think VVDs distribution is also vital and I think it plays quite a big part in how they start up attacks and utilize the flanks. Apart from that, Adams seems a good fit.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Ledley King was quite neat on the ball, or am I misremembering that?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I think Pogba, despite his current reputation, was one of the best possible picks from that pool and he could be used wisely... but no way does he fit in any of Klopp's set up. The rest of this team is great.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Not really sold on Blanchflower (a big miss, I think), Cambiasso & Jesus. Van Gaal asked his wingers to provide width first and foremost, I doubt that he's the perfect man to do so (the same can be said about Simonsen as well).