Only Fools and Horses Quarterfinal - 영명한 동지 vs. JB²

With all players at their peak, which team do you think would win this game?

• harms

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Joga Bonito & Jim Beam

Votes: 10 47.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
By the way, Cruyff originally wanted to build his Barcelona around Enzo as a false 9 (and then went for Laudrup when he couldn't get Enzo)*. Speaking of his best role – I'd probably go with Cruyff's assessment.

* @antohan probably can tell you more on that

harms

Staff
Your primary playmaker or fulcrum of your team has Xabi and Roy Keane on his back. So, I would say it is kind of a huge issue.
Murdoch is as much of my primary playmaker as Bruno is and I have enough creativity all around the pitch to cover for that. Especially on the wings.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Again, the company is – for them, Walker and Hyypiä first and foremost, as those are the players that they're facing directly. Keane as well though, mind you. And those are the players that I wanted to highlight as well, as in your post there was an equation of 2 decent sheep vs 1 bad sheep, while in reality Bruno (especially) and Rashford are certainly not on a lower peak level than Hyypiä and Walker.
I agree for the most part, and that's why I said it all roughly evens out for me. It started out with giving you a "clear advantage" at CB, which automatically reflects upon Hyypiä/Walker.

I explicitly rejected the notion of players being treated as "sheep" btw, and said that Bruno/Rashford may have a good game. My post wasn't a putdown.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I know I've posted this before but just in case if you didn't manage to give it a watch or for others.
I watched it then, watched it again now, and I think I can see your point more and more.

Also, all deliberations on position aside, great player.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Was just answering Synco since I was tagged, don't mind me :lol: . I'll be off now
All good, I've pretty much spent all my ammunition anyway. :lol:

Also, all deliberations on position aside, great player.
Yeah, he definitely was. I already said he is along with Elkjaer, Schuster and Blokhin my favorite discovered player during these drafts. Late Diego (:() placed him on his "wall" of fiercest rivals or players he admired the most in his era.

@Šjor Bepo look who is there between Laudrup and Romario. :drool:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
All good, I've pretty much spent all my ammunition anyway. :lol:

Yeah, he definitely was. I already said he is along with Elkjaer, Schuster and Blokhin my favorite discovered player during these drafts. Late Diego (:() placed him on his "wall" of fiercest rivals or players he admired the most in his era.

@Šjor Bepo look who is there between Laudrup and Romario. :drool:
Robbo :drool: . Interesting, thought Schuster would have been there for sure.

harms

Staff
Robbo :drool: . Interesting, thought Schuster would have been there for sure.
Yeah, that's very weird. They seemed to get on very well off the pitch as well, there's no question about their in-game connection and Maradona saw first hand what Schuster was capable of.

Well, wouldn't bet against Diego that he just forgot some obvious players.
Could be. It's weird that he forgot not just a generational great like Rijkaard, but someone who he has played alongside with for quite a while and formed a great partnership together. But then it's Diego...

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Finally voted for the JBs in a narrow decision. The penny finally dropping on Francescoli made the difference, thanks for the patience :D

Really good game, my favourite part were the fullback and wingback duos in both teams.

Last edited:

harms

Staff
O-oh, someone changed his vote at the last moment!
Ffs, it's like playing Among Us without a monitor.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Finally voted for the JBs in a narrow decision. The penny finally dropping on Francescoli made the difference, thanks for the patience :D

Really good game, my favourite part were the fullback and wingback duos in both teams.
By the way, Cruyff originally wanted to build his Barcelona around Enzo as a false 9 (and then went for Laudrup when he couldn't get Enzo)*. Speaking of his best role – I'd probably go with Cruyff's assessment.

* @antohan probably can tell you more on that
Will post the PM that I was referring to now that the match is over (hope anto doesn't mind but he doesn't drop by much these days so he's probably not going to reply)

Yeah, it's about El Principe. Needless to say, we think he has the quality to flourish in our Brazilian side and he would be perfect for it.

However, we were just wondering if he could play as a false 9 for the first match. I read somewhere (unreliable source though) that he played as a false 9 for River in his first stint, and in our team where we have Jairzinho who is essentially a inside forward with an approx 1 in 2 goal ratio and Rivelino who is a fine blend of a playmaker and goalscoring forward with an insane left peg, in addition to Didi who has a 1 in 3 record from midfield.

Would it work? It's just temporary till we get a striker in the reinforcement rounds though.
He did, and my favourite version of him was that one actually. It was a shame he was such a hard-working and determined all-rounder so ended up being a free-role #10 Cruyff type running around everywhere on the pitch to exert his influence. Terrific finisher.

The only reason I would get a "proper striker" is for aerial dominance (he wasn't too shabby, mind). You would have a hard time finding someone worth upgrading him for though.
There's a clip I made hanging around somewhere on Youtube. Let me have a look.
Channel aptly named Draft videos :lol:

harms

Staff
O-oh, someone changed his vote at the last moment!
Ffs, it's like playing Among Us without a monitor.
And then he (or someone else) did the same thing backwards! :lol:
I found a better analogy though – it's like learning about the Agüero moment by looking at Phil Jones' face live at Stadium of Light.

harms

Staff
Channel aptly named Draft videos :lol:
Yeah, I remember this one.

Good game @Jim Beam @Joga Bonito. That midfield was perfect and I really like Enzo playing such a crucial role. My slight dislike of your defense was worsened by my scouser's allergy. I actually thought that you'd go for a late-ish Facchetti as a sweeper & Branco on the left – it goes against the draft forum logic (a bit like Moore on my side, but even more radical), but I think that would've worked better.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
That midfield was perfect and I really like Enzo playing such a crucial role.
Cheers. We were kind of hard done by Stielike missing out but it is what it is. Sheva was a huge miss for you too, so no complaints.

Cheers @Šjor Bepo . Was a real roller coaster of a draft. Am usually pretty calm and lucid for most drafts but this one did get me on the edge a fair few times (like the Thiago Silva debacle that only @Jim Beam will know about :lol: )

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Now you have to tell.
Long story short - barely slept for 2 days, was hyper on coffee and in that state, spent quite some time making a case for Thiago Silva's eligibility (played in 5 countries round) before coming to a crushing realization that he was already picked :lol:

harms

Staff
Long story short - barely slept for 2 days, was hyper on coffee and in that state, spent quite some time making a case for Thiago Silva's eligibility (played in 5 countries round) before coming to a crushing realization that he was already picked :lol:
I had a weird moment when I suddenly realised that Figueroa, who I originally disqualified from that criteria, was actually available. He wasn't.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
And now the punchline: Thiago Silva has played in 6 countries!

Edit: Ah, you were probably going to argue that playing for Porto's 2nd team isn't really playing in Portugal :D

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
And now the punchline: Thiago Silva has played in 6 countries!
Oh well here it goes...

Feck me absolute nightmare of a criteria.

Only managed to find Thiago Silva but that too on a caveat that his time in Russia doesn't count since he didn't play a single match and was basically just hospitalized. Hopefully people miss that small detail when researching. But who am I kidding Sjpr is going to shoot that down instantly.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...-news-almost-died-russia-dinamo-moscow-brazil
I'm trying something sly. We'll see how it goes.

I'm expecting Sjor to say player X MUST have played a senior game to qualify for 'plied their trade' to crush our hopes. Meaning it'd make Thiago Silva eligible for us given that he didn't play a single senior game in Russia :lol:

The things they make us do...
Basically pmed Sjor expecting him to shoot it down (as expected)

Could you clarify this please. So say if a player has 5 countries but he was just a youth player in one of them and didn't play a single senior game, it should count right?

We will pay for that later :lol:
Oh for feck sake he didn't play in the first team for Porto, just their reserves. Perfect.... :annoyed:
Buy a player for 2.5 million Euros and don't even give him a run out in the first team for a whole fecking year :mad:.
Wait wait
Another loophole
Porto B play in the Liga Pro which is the Portugese Second Division. So that should count as a senior game right. Just like playing in the Championship should count as a senior game
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_football_league_system

Sorry for spamming but yeah I'm hyper from coffee and a lack of sleep.

So yeah it checks out. The top two sides from Liga Pro get promoted to the Portugese first division (apart from the B sides) and the bottom two get relegated to the third. So it is the Championship essentially. Meaning that it should count as a senior game :drool:
FFS. Thiago Silva's already been picked and I'm this close to insanity :lol: :lol: :lol:
So having a go at it again and only really managed to find Branco from the defenders category

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branco_(footballer)

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
@Joga Bonito
Okay, that's even better :lol:

I tell you, I had plenty of moments there too. Got so many players wrong, then right, then wrong again. Or the amount of times a great candidate had to be scrapped for something like playing two games in India at age 41. That round could drive a man insane (but was fun).

Best thing is the committee got confused as well & waved through at least one ineligible player. Can say that now, as that team is already eliminated.

Jim Beam

Good game @Jim Beam @Joga Bonito. That midfield was perfect and I really like Enzo playing such a crucial role. My slight dislike of your defense was worsened by my scouser's allergy. I actually thought that you'd go for a late-ish Facchetti as a sweeper & Branco on the left – it goes against the draft forum logic (a bit like Moore on my side, but even more radical), but I think that would've worked better.
I love Facchetti suggestion, but am not sure about Hyypia and Walker as side defenders. I just avoid to put any players at LCB/RCB who didn't played it before or don't have experience as a fullback. Will always be a minus in my book. Maybe they played it though and we missed the trick. As for the dislike, I would probably feel the same if am facing that pair on the opposite side.

Anyway, good game and all the best going forward.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
The quality of discussion in this draft continues to be excellent. Another good read after the Edgar/Gio/mufc game.

harms

Staff
I love Facchetti suggestion, but am not sure about Hyypia and Walker as side defenders. I just avoid to put any players at LCB/RCB who didn't played it before or don't have experience as a fullback. Will always be a minus in my book. Maybe they played it though and we missed the trick. As for the dislike, I would probably feel the same if am facing that pair on the opposite side.

Anyway, good game and all the best going forward.
Oh, I meant simply
Branco - Walker - Facchetti - Armfield

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Voted for JB squared because of what I saw as a massive advantage in the midfield.

Jim Beam

Oh, I meant simply
Branco - Walker - Facchetti - Armfield
Now that is much better. It would probably get more love on the basis of originality and moving Hyypia away, so you are most likely right. Oh well, nevermind, we were quite happy even with this version, so all good.

Jogaaaaaaaaa!!!