Only Liverpool lost fewer games than us in the League this season

Red4Life_#7

The most important thing is we are back in the Champions League!!

Should our coaches, set up and team get more credit as only Pool have lost fewer games than us in the League this season.

gormless

Nope. That’s ridiculous to be honest.
You can cherry pick stats to prove anything. We were awful for the majority of the year, had 3 months of very good football leading up to and just after lockdown, before running out of steam approx 2/3weeks ago.

Mindhunter

If the conclusion you are trying to arrive at is that our defense is better than it looks then I don't buy that. Our defense hasn't been that great. We make far too many errors and have slow CBs. Even today, our clean sheet was more to do with Leicester's profligacy in front of goal that our ground breaking defense.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
If the conclusion you are trying to arrive at is that our defense is better than it looks then I don't buy that. Our defense hasn't been that great. We make far too many errors and have slow CBs. Even today, our clean sheet was more to do with Leicester's profligacy in front of goal that our ground breaking defense.
Not really. Watch the game back in 2 weeks time, without emotion, and they didn't have great chances.

People talk a lot about 'results' being everything. In the moment, that's difficult to see, but the results speak for themselves. We don't concede many goals. Call it luck. Call it whatever you want, but the results speak for themselves

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
How?! This is such a surprising stat.

Shows improvement - maybe not as fast as some would like - but improvement none the less.

Mindhunter

Not really. Watch the game back in 2 weeks time, without emotion, and they didn't have great chances.

People talk a lot about 'results' being everything. In the moment, that's difficult to see, but the results speak for themselves. We don't concede many goals. Call it luck. Call it whatever you want, but the results speak for themselves
I have seen enough. They mishit quite a few shots which were great chances to score. Then there was the shot that scooped up etc. I know that things even out over a period of time but it will be disingenuous to say that we weren't lucky.

el3mel

The amount of draws really hurt us.

But we have looked rock solid the whole second half of the season. Just copy this second half to a full season and we'll have a great one next year hopefully.

EwanI Ted

A modest triumph let’s be honest, but not losing many games is a good thing so there’s no need to be too sniffy about it.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I have seen enough. They mishit quite a few shots which were great chances to score. Then there was the shot that scooped up etc. I know that things even out over a period of time but it will be disingenuous to say that we weren't lucky.
We had similar chances. Id sum this match up as 'a few half chances for each team'

Bojan11

The losses were shit too.

Lost to Newcastle, Watford, Bournemouth and West Ham away.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Amazing how many times that happens exclusively for us. We've just been incredibly lucky for 38 games in the season I suppose.

Mindhunter

Amazing how many times that happens exclusively for us. We've just been incredibly lucky for 38 games in the season I suppose.
Yes we have been and there is nothing wrong with that. Do you genuinely believe we have the second best defense in the league? If no, then there it is. I am not discounting the statistic but just saying that there are nuances.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I had been saying it all season. We were sorely lacking in creativity. Adding more creativity would change so many of those disappointing draws/losses against teams we couldn't break down into wins. Sure enough, Bruno is brought in, then Pogba returns and we finish the season in the type of form only the champions could match.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
You can cherry pick stats to prove anything. We were awful for the majority of the year, had 3 months of very good football leading up to and just after lockdown, before running out of steam approx 2/3weeks ago.
I'll cherrypick some stats that are going to just piss you off then:

3rd least allowed goals
Best team in the Premier League the last 14 matchweeks (36.84% of the season)
Third best team over the last 38 matchweeks (100% of the season)
If awful over the majority of the season means we lump into third spending an actual majority of the season without our best players for longer periods of time, I'll take that.
1st in goals from Penalties - (10)

We achieved what we set out to do this season. Why look for reasons to be a sourpuss on a day of celebration?

gormless

I'll cherrypick some stats that are going to just piss you off then:

3rd least allowed goals
Best team in the Premier League the last 14 matchweeks (36.84% of the season)
Third best team over the last 38 matchweeks (100% of the season)
If awful over the majority of the season means we lump into third spending an actual majority of the season without our best players for longer periods of time, I'll take that.
1st in goals from Penalties - (10)

We achieved what we set out to do this season. Why look for reasons to be a sourpuss on a day of celebration?
I’m happy, it just reminds me of RAWK-style, “Reina won the golden gloves,” when we were winning the league.

always_hoping

And only Liverpool and City conceded less goals. 36 v 35 and 33. For the record United conceded 54 goals last season.

Kostov

It's irrelevant when you actually point out that they only lost 3 games while we lost 8 games. Loosing 8 games is not good enough for Manchester United. And when I think, we lost games to Bournemouth, Crystal Palace at home, Burnley at home, Newcastle and West Ham. Some of them with truly awful performances which would very avoidable.

cyberman

What cherrypicking? All of our stats are like this. Its people downplaying our achievements thats ridiculous

Kag

Our biggest problem this season league is goals.
It’s been our biggest problem since Ferguson retired. Only the thickos have been unable to identify this statistically obvious reality.

We came third this season in spite of our goals scored tally. Thankfully, with the progression of our front three and addition of Bruno we’re on the right track.

But we’re not yet there either. We’re still an injury to Bruno or Pogba away from being forced into playing idiots like Lingard and Pereira. Ole needs the backing.

Skåre Willoch

:devil:

We've been rock solid defensively for large parts of the season, despite the cries about Maguire, Lindelöf, etc. With better goalkeeping, we should've actually done better. De Gea's howlers really cost us.

If we can maintain our record against the other top 6 candidates, turn a couple of the bad/unlucky draws to wins, and turn a few of the bad/unlucky losses to draws, we're right up there for contention. There is no way Liverpool will score the same amount of points next season, and Manchester City have a lot question marks with their squad.

A deep run in the Champions League and a proper title challenge incoming!

WE GO FOR IT!

sparx99

It's irrelevant when you actually point out that they only lost 3 games while we lost 8 games. Loosing 8 games is not good enough for Manchester United. And when I think, we lost games to Bournemouth, Crystal Palace at home, Burnley at home, Newcastle and West Ham. Some of them with truly awful performances which would very avoidable.
The majority of those defeats were with Pogba, Martial and Rashford missing games. Since we’ve had Bruno and those guys fit we’ve not lost those games.

Siorac

The losses were shit too.

Lost to Newcastle, Watford, Bournemouth and West Ham away.
We got 27% (18 out of 66) of our Premier League points against Manchester City, Chelsea, and Leicester. Insane stat.

romufc

The biggest change I want to see us defensively is to stop making individual errors.

We have probably lost 20 points from individual errors.

Ole has to get them to concentrate for the whole game and cut off mistakes if we want to have a good season.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
We also just lost one less than Wolves.. Our season hasn't been amazing, we're lucky than everyone but Liverpool has been bang average this year.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Our record is poor as we go down the table.

Played​
Wins​
Draw​
Loss​
Win %​
Loss %​
Top 10​
18​
9​
6​
3​
50.00%​
16.67%​
Bottom 10​
20​
9​
6​
5​
45.00%​
25.00%​
Bottom 5​
10​
5​
2​
3​
50.00%​
30.00%​

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I didn't take the opening post as being a massive celebration of the fact. More an interesting aside.

No need for people to try and dismiss it. We have much work to do but are on the way up again for sure.

theklr

A point to make is DDG statistic of most errors leading to goals this season.. that makes our defence look even better.