Only Liverpool lost fewer games than us in the League this season

Jaap

Some interesting facts:

We are the only team in the League that did not lose a game by conceding three goals or more.

We only shipped three goals in the League once (!) against Sheffield United.

Kostov

The majority of those defeats were with Pogba, Martial and Rashford missing games. Since we’ve had Bruno and those guys fit we’ve not lost those games.
Whoever was missing, most of those performances were unacceptable and there is no excuse for a club like ours.

sparx99

Whoever was missing, most of those performances were unacceptable and there is no excuse for a club like ours.
Sure. I'm saying that when at full strength we've been up there with the best this season. Clearly, more depth is required.

Red4Life_#7

So much negativity. Losing the 2nd least amount of games in the PL is showing we are moving in the right direction. We lost none since we signed Bruno!! We need to look at that... that tweak changed our game.

We struggled against teams who would sit back, now with Bruno and Greenwood as well as Pogba and Rashford coming back it's a huge creativity boost. No team gained more points than us in that time (including the champions and former champions).

Adding a few more players to our team, with the likes of Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, McT etc gaining more experience will put us in good stead for next season.

It's a process...

OleTheGreat

I'm one of those football lovers who loves when his team scores. I would go back and watch games again and again to see how we came about constructing the goal. My only wish for the coming season is, we score about 80-85 goals in the league. City actually scored 102 even though they lost around 9 games. I'd like us to decimate teams when they get a chance. The defense will grow in confidence only then.

always_hoping

Our biggest problem this season league is goals.
Lack of creativity was the problem area earlier in the season. Expected I suppose when you play the likes of Pereira, Lingard,Mata in the number 10 role. If Pogba, Bruno play the majority of the 2020/21 season i will expect 80+ goals.

Denis' cuff

What it does show is that due to all those draws, we were only one goal away from an extra 2pts, 12 times. As galling as those defeats were, several against shit teams, we really did chuck points away, more so through sloppiness than anything. Obvs, we’re always going to drop points like anyone else but a dm and a beast of a cb would make a huge difference. Cant see both happening if we sign Sancho but one of those and finally, a rw threat should see an improvement.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's funny how people try and use certain stats to either paint a negative or positive picture.

A Burnley fan who hates United on my facebook was trying to suggest we've spent £150 million or so to basically make a 2 point difference versus where Liverpool are. Which is a really odd comparison when we've moved from 5th to 3rd.
That's surely an unarguable stat of improvement.

red_sun

It's funny how people try and use certain stats to either paint a negative or positive picture.

A Burnley fan who hates United on my facebook was trying to suggest we've spent £150 million or so to basically make a 2 point difference versus where Liverpool are. Which is a really odd comparison when we've moved from 5th to 3rd.
That's surely an unarguable stat of improvement.
While I'm glad that we are in 3rd, but it really speaks to the (lack of) quality throughout the teams that are not Liverpool and City. Perhaps it's an uncharacteristic bad year, but 66 points is bad.

I'm still not sure about our plan beyond pass it to Fernandes, and hope he makes something happen. I know I'm being quite reductive, but with we'll see how the side develops, stagnates or regresses next season.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
While I'm glad that we are in 3rd, but it really speaks to the (lack of) quality throughout the teams that are not Liverpool and City. Perhaps it's an uncharacteristic bad year, but 66 points is bad.

I'm still not sure about our plan beyond pass it to Fernandes, and hope he makes something happen. I know I'm being quite reductive, but with we'll see how the side develops, stagnates or regresses next season.
Bearing in mind the past plans have been give it to martial or Rashford and hope they dribble past 3-4 players and score, then i welcome the Bruno angle.

If we can get Sancho we can actually try and attack on the right for the first time in years

ReddevilTinu

Somehow the mentality to grind the results has lost since Fergie. However from the evidence since the last 4-5 matches where we were tired and out of gas we did win so there is a wining mentality that is getting developed.

All we need is good bench which pushes the guys in the first team thus leading to better squad

Web of Bissaka

Lack of creativity was the problem area earlier in the season. Expected I suppose when you play the likes of Pereira, Lingard,Mata in the number 10 role. If Pogba, Bruno play the majority of the 2020/21 season i will expect 80+ goals.
You're right, that would be the more specific biggest problem.

We definitely have the finishers and goalscorers, more than enough.
The creativity to provide them the necessary services is almost non-existent.

Pogba need Bruno though. The system we're using with him at the base is just limiting his creativity and attacks. I'm not confident at all we're scoring plenty with just Pogba. The long-term injury covered this 'flaw' and made better impression of him.

Before Bruno
4-0 Chelsea - assisted twice
1-1 Wolves
1-2 Crystal
1-1 Southampton
1-1 Arsenal

Minus the first game (caught the new formed Chelsea by surprise), that is a terrible record, all with him playing full 90 mins. We scored more than one goal per game a lot more consistently afterwards once he's out injured.