Oppo fan's view on Ole Gunnar Solskjær's appointment?

Skills

Snitch
It’s an interesting one

But I find it strange

Why not just leave Carrick in charge? Or does the Club need to be seen to be doing something, anything

To please the fans? I doubt Solskjær would have been a fan favourite before hand with the fans for the main seat

Either way I doubt he can make things any worse, it could end up really good in the form of achieving 5th, or even outstanding buy achieving 4th (highly unlikely or course)

If Solskjær does that then he’ll rightlyfully be heavily applauded

As for steadying the ship until the summer, Carrick could have done that no?
Because they probably don't think he's ready to be left in charge for half a season. Solskjaers been managing for 10 years now.

Secondly they probably do think Carrick's got a future at the club, and I'm guessing no matter how he does his position would have become a bit awkward. Solskjaer will just go back to Molde at the end of the season.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Reading through this thread, there are way too many Scouse fans crawling on this forum.

Hope they disappear like they did at the end of 13/14 season.

El-Manos

It makes sense if you do bring in someone like Pochettino in the summer, otherwise if you're going to get someone like Zidane/Conte i'd have just brought them in immediately as the likelihood is whoever is managing you, you won't get into the CL. It does make me believe that the board has shortlisted targets that aren't willing to move during this season but can be coerced in the summer i.e Poch.

It helps that he actually has a connection to the club unlike Mourinho/Van Gaal/Moyes and doesn't appear to have the same complex that they do either. Bringing in Phelan to help says to me that this is going to be more of a cohesively built team than just one egotistical shit-show.
Yup, great post. Those are my views as well. I just hope we set up the foundations for the next manager (hopefully Poch) and bring in a DOF.

El-Manos

It’s an interesting one

But I find it strange

Why not just leave Carrick in charge? Or does the Club need to be seen to be doing something, anything

To please the fans? I doubt Solskjær would have been a fan favourite before hand with the fans for the main seat

Either way I doubt he can make things any worse, it could end up really good in the form of achieving 5th, or even outstanding buy achieving 4th (highly unlikely or course)

As for steadying the ship until the summer, Carrick could have done that no? Or is it better a club legend does that?
Carrick has no managerial experience, would have been an even bigger risk appointing him.

In regards to Ole - Why do we fall Bruce..... ? Solskjær failed desperately with Cardiff and probably learned important lessons, he’s been managing for 10 yrs big difference with Carrick who has been a coach now for 7-8 months.

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
The only real effect Solskjaer could have at this point in terms of on the field performances could be winning the FA Cup. Top 4 is gone (they'd need about 59 points out of 63 remaining, at this point, considering how Chelsea and Spurs and Arsenal are going). Winning the Champions League would be less a result of managerial acumen than a massive fluke ala Chelsea and Di Matteo.

Solskjaer is more about giving the club a bit of a lift until the summer. Much like that short spell under Giggs I'd be surprised if anything absolutely radical happens this season, and I'm not really sure that hiring Solskjaer is any different to hiring Carrick, Giggs, Scholes etc, it's more a symbolic move than anything when there's such a little chance of actually achieving anything from here on in. Unless you're hiring Zidane or Jardim or something this is just a morale boosting move.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Friends view...
Terrible appointment, was probably worst manager Cardiff ever had. We'll do well to avoid relegation and they are thankful to our board for such a shite choice...!

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
It’s an interesting one

But I find it strange

As for steadying the ship until the summer, Carrick could have done that no? Or is it better a club legend does that?
Did Carrick not do enough to be a legend? I mean he was no Ole, but he did a lot for us

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Otherwise known as the Di Matteo approach. He might do ok but he's got no experience managing a top club so it could just as easily get worse for United. He knows he's not under any serious pressure though so maybe he'll take a relaxed approach to it. There are some very good players in that squad who're more than capable of playing attacking football.

I don't think United will manage to get top four from here regardless of who the manager is so I don't think there's anything drastically wrong with Solskjaer coming in until the end of the season. His biggest challenges will be motivating Pogba and solidifying the defense, but I think United fans would appreciate watching some coherent attacking football between now and the end of the season more than anything else.

If you end up 6th or 7th having played some nice football between now and May, I think you'll all be a bit happier than you were under any of the previous managers. Then you can go into next season with a new face and a fresh start.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I'd have called it a stupid idea, but hey it worked for us with Robbie! Who knows what will happen, but at least having a fan favourite should give you lads a nice buzz around the club for a bit. The atmosphere has all seemed a bit depressing lately.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
It’s an interesting one

But I find it strange

Not sure Carrick had the badges required yet

Mihai

I think it's fair to say that a lot of Spurs fans will want him to succeed. Bite?

SteveW

Doubt if opposition fans will fear this appointment much. Not that I give a feck

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
He'll probably unify the different factions in the short term until the new boss is brought in.
His brief will probably be to keep a happy atmosphere as best he can and maybe sneak a Cup if the players can play with the gloom lifted.

Mihai

I don't understand the point of bringing him in until the end of the season.

The board are no doubt going to want Pochettino (spelling) or Zidane so why not try and get them in now? The season is a write off anyway but If you bring them in now, it gives them the rest of the season to analyse the squad properly and identify the problems that need solving in the summer. Players can go and new ones can come in. The ones that stay will have had half a season of learning the new playing strategy and everyone goes into pre-season knowing what is required.

Bringing an interim manager in now means that the players don't feel like they're playing for the place in the squad next year, no recruitment can happen in January because there's no point bringing in a player now if the new permanent manager doesn't want him and the club doesn't move forward until the summer at least.

As an opposition fan, I'm glad you've got an interim manager in and especially someone who hasn't got any experience of managing an elite level club.
I was worried that you'd appoint Poch or Zidane now and the foundations for next season would start to be laid.
You're going to have to pay a hell of a lot for Poch anyway, just pay the extra and get him in now, it's not like you can't afford it.
The new permanent candidate may be willing to wait and see who our DOF will be.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Pobga played under Allegri, Conte, Deschamps without problem and you think he is weak attitude? Man Jose really has a magic wand.

Same with Sanchez, he played for Barca, one of the highest pressure environment.
Pogba and Deschamps didn't get on too well at the previous tournament, only difference at the world cup was that he's matured a bit and next to Mourinho Deschamps actually seemed like a soft touch.

And Sanchez didn't exactly have a great time at Barca, didn't get on with Messi by all accounts and never fitted their possession style.

So in summary I disagree with the sentiment of your post.

aman92

Supports
Liverpool
He'll be an upgrade over Mourinho, that's all.... don't think much can be salvaged of Utd's season anyway

padr81

Supports
Man City
It's a brave decision and I admire the balls on Woodward to make it. He's done very, very well in Norway but was terrible in his stint with Cardiff but I think its a win-win situation for everyone involved. He's under no pressure as the season is written off. He can't fail (outside of coming 15th or something) and he has brought a feel good factor back to United supporters which is nice. He'll have the fans onside and unless he gets you relegated I don't think anyone will turn on him. If it doesn't work out he can be off in the summer and you can go for someone else, if it does workout it will be great for the club, Ole and the supporters.

Honestly it feels like its the first thing you've got right at the club in awhile even if you did feck up the announcement. I have to say I look forward to it, to seeing how he'll play and how he'll do with such a big job.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Pogba and Deschamps didn't get on too well at the previous tournament, only difference at the world cup was that he's matured a bit and next to Mourinho Deschamps actually seemed like a soft touch.

And Sanchez didn't exactly have a great time at Barca, didn't get on with Messi by all accounts and never fitted their possession style.

Somehow that rules out his time with Conte and Allegri.

Btw I disagree completely with your post too.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
My Liverpool supporting mates seemed to revel in his Cardiff appointment, in typical fashion ignoring the context. They're probably just being the cocky gobshites that they are at the moment because they've played alright football for a season though.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I don’t see much evidence that he’s a good manager and I doubt he’ll lead United on a big Matteo like run to silverware. His Cardiff tenure was nothing short of disastrous and otherwise its really just Molde. His appeal has everything to do with his club legend status and nothing to do with his managerial track record.

But I think he’ll get on well with the players and help lift the gloom around the club, making the next man’s job easier. That’s ultimately the most important job of a caretaker
Basically this

Van Gaal was allowed to see out the season even though everyone and his dog knew we were replacing him at season end. Jose would have been kept too but he simply was too toxic.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Deschamps and Pogba have always had a good relationship.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
But I think he’ll get on well with the players and help lift the gloom around the club, making the next man’s job easier. That’s ultimately the most important job of a caretaker.
Yeah, this is the main thing. He's passionate about us, likeable and I imagine will be respected considering his time with us as a player and since.

So long as he does ok it should refresh things a bit before the new manager. Ole Gunnar Sorbet

Dante

Average bang
If you're a glory-hunter, you may not get it. If you love the romance of the game, it makes a bit more sense.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
I think it’s amazing to think 5 years ago you were walking the league with SAF and now hundreds of millions of pounds later you have made the most random appointment ever and are miles away from winning the league. Complete mess of a club I would say this appointment was shocking but there the way things are done post SAF the definition of shocking has been moved back a few notches.

I have no idea how he is as a coach apart from being relegated and sacked with Cardiff. I would think he’s fully capable of getting you relegated or winning the CL or both.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I think it’s amazing to think 5 years ago you were walking the league with SAF and now hundreds of millions of pounds later you have made the most random appointment ever and are miles away from winning the league. Complete mess of a club I would say this appointment was shocking but there the way things are done post SAF the definition of shocking has been moved back a few notches.

I have no idea how he is as a coach
apart from being relegated and sacked with Cardiff. I would think he’s fully capable of getting you relegated or winning the CL or both.
Surely this just renders the rest of your post redundant.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I think it's a clever appointment. He's the right profile you should be looking for, rather than look around for whoever has the most trophies. Now you've got six months to assess whether he is up for the task or not.

The main issue really is Woodward's inability to make such an assessment.
Nice try mate.

He isn't being reviewed for the United job - it isn't going to happen. That 6 months is simply waiting to employ our next proper manager - probably Pochettino.

A skim read of any oppo forums will show any Utd fan that pretty much every oppo fan thinks Ole's appointment is utterly hilarious, bizarre and a bad move.

They are also very keen for him to do just well enough for our overly sentimental fanbase to then insist on him being given him a fulltime contract - just as B20 here is trying to suggest we do.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
It's too late to save your season and 99% chance he won't be here thereafter so it doesn't really matter anyway, does it? I do however think it's funny how a lot of people seem convinced that you'll bring in Pochettino without too much problems next summer.

Other than that, it was obviously the right thing to ditch Mourinho and your play can't get any worse, so appointing a fan favourite makes sense.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Surely this just renders the rest of your post redundant.
Surely not.

What are oppo fans supposed to know about his managerial abilities apart from what we googled today and his relegation record in the PL?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I don’t really care about all that “knows the club” stuff, though. A good manager is a good manager, and which good manager are you going to get that “knows” United? I mean, if you get Allegri, God forbid, he probably knows next to nothing about United.
Yeah, it's chest-beating nonsense.

I'd be underwhelmed frankly. While I understand it is only a temporary appointment, it's the classic yo-yo recruitment strategy that characterises many major football institutions who should know better. England did it for years alternating between native and foreign in appointing the opposite of whatever proceeded it. It's reactive and image driven, and another episode in the strategic clusterfeck that Woodward has presided over.

Van Aanholt's Express

Supports
Wigan
I've no idea how he'll get on but he always struck me as a nice bloke.

Will he have the gravitas necessary to command the dressing room?

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Doubt if opposition fans will fear this appointment much. Not that I give a feck
You're right. In the short term, it's not really an appointment to be fearful of - I'm suddenly not expecting United to charge up the league or win the CL. However, if things go how United are seemingly planning, with a DOF, squad investment, & a high profile managerial appointment next summer, then it'll likely be looked back on as a really good appointment to fill the gap while the club sorts its issues out.

20/21 is when I reckon you'll be truly challenging again. If Poch/whoever comes in next summer and has to challenging in their first year, then hey, huge credit to all involved, but year 2 after investment & a bedded in DOF/behind the scenes staff is the most likely scenario.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
People forget there is some considerable talent in this team. He's not taking over a pub side.
Sanchez, Pogba, Lukaku, Martial, Rashford, De Gea etc all happy, motivated and working hard will not finish lower than 6th.
That's his job. Get unity back and get them motivated.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
People forget there is some considerable talent in this team. He's not taking over a pub side.
Sanchez, Pogba, Lukaku, Martial, Rashford, De Gea etc all happy, motivated and working hard will not finish lower than 6th.
That's his job. Get unity back and get them motivated.
This is what I don't understand, isn't this the main reason why everyone wanted Mourinho gone? i.e. he's not extracting maximum from the talent available at his disposal?

Yet the moment he's dismissed, there are talks of 3-4 year rebuild and how we are a million miles away from likes of Chelsea, Arse and Spurs. It's laughable.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
This is what I don't understand, isn't this the main reason why everyone wanted Mourinho gone? i.e. he's not extracting maximum from the talent available at his disposal?

Yet the moment he's dismissed, there are talks of 3-4 year rebuild and how we are a million miles away from likes of Chelsea, Arse and Spurs. It's laughable.
Who is talking about rebuild or Arsenal etc?
Mourinho was sacked not only because he was underperforming, he was also asked because the club was a cesspit of toxicity.
What part of the concept of a caretaker don't you understand?