Oppo fan's view on Ole Gunnar Solskjær's appointment?

Alabaster Codify7

I'm not arsed either. Just want to see a team play on the front foot. The season is practically done.

Exactly my thoughts. I've eliminated all ideas of us achieving anything, including top 4, so as long as we don't finish any lower than 8th (worst case scenario) and see attacking, enjoyable football and a good vibe around the club, let the chips fall.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Who is talking about rebuild or Arsenal etc?
Mourinho was sacked not only because he was underperforming, he was also asked because the club was a cesspit of toxicity.
What part of the concept of a caretaker don't you understand?
I suggest you read this thread, literally 1 post above you there's a poster who's saying it won't be until 20/21 we are competing.

If anything I'm agreeing with you, don't know why you're being this aggressive. There is a lot of quality in our squad (along with a lot of shite), any decent manager worth his salt could get them playing good football and bring results. Just because it is a caretaker manager, doesn't mean we should completely write this season off. These 6 months are important to lay the foundations for next season, both on the pitch and off the pitch. Players have to step up and take responsibility and put in performances, it would be a complete waste if they are once again hiding behind incompetence of the manager.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
This is what I don't understand, isn't this the main reason why everyone wanted Mourinho gone? i.e. he's not extracting maximum from the talent available at his disposal?

Yet the moment he's dismissed, there are talks of 3-4 year rebuild and how we are a million miles away from likes of Chelsea, Arse and Spurs. It's laughable.
The fact Mourinho spent £400m and people are saying we need a 3-4 year rebuild shows why he had to go.

He was taking the club backwards this season

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
The fact Mourinho spent £400m and people are saying we need a 3-4 year rebuild shows why he had to go.

He was taking the club backwards this season
I'm not arguing for Mourinho.

I just disagree with that notion that there is a huge rebuild required, there is plenty quality in the squad. Despite his shortcomings here, we did finish 2nd last year. Clubs behind us in Spurs added no one, Arsenal brought 1 DM in Torreria, Chelsea signed 1 DM in Jorginho. Has that made the gap insurmountable that we'd need 3-4 years to get on their level? Sorry I don't buy that.

What we need is to be efficient in getting rid of the dross and have 4-5 recruitment over the next two windows. Closing the gap to City will take time but I believe we can be in the mix with other four clubs provided we act sensibly over the next two windows.

SteveW

You're right. In the short term, it's not really an appointment to be fearful of - I'm suddenly not expecting United to charge up the league or win the CL. However, if things go how United are seemingly planning, with a DOF, squad investment, & a high profile managerial appointment next summer, then it'll likely be looked back on as a really good appointment to fill the gap while the club sorts its issues out.

20/21 is when I reckon you'll be truly challenging again. If Poch/whoever comes in next summer and has to challenging in their first year, then hey, huge credit to all involved, but year 2 after investment & a bedded in DOF/behind the scenes staff is the most likely scenario.
Agreed. It takes time. I'm more than happy with Ole until the end of the season. It's a much needed detox from what's come before.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It makes sense if you do bring in someone like Pochettino in the summer, otherwise if you're going to get someone like Zidane/Conte i'd have just brought them in immediately as the likelihood is whoever is managing you, you won't get into the CL. It does make me believe that the board has shortlisted targets that aren't willing to move during this season but can be coerced in the summer i.e Poch.
Agree. Hopefully this is the case.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I suggest you read this thread, literally 1 post above you there's a poster who's saying it won't be until 20/21 we are competing.

If anything I'm agreeing with you, don't know why you're being this aggressive. There is a lot of quality in our squad (along with a lot of shite), any decent manager worth his salt could get them playing good football and bring results. Just because it is a caretaker manager, doesn't mean we should completely write this season off. These 6 months are important to lay the foundations for next season, both on the pitch and off the pitch. Players have to step up and take responsibility and put in performances, it would be a complete waste if they are once again hiding behind incompetence of the manager.
I wasn't being aggressive. Sorry if I came across that way. I don't think anyone expects a dramatic improvement or collapse in results. We are currently sixth and most, I suspect expect us to finish there. I don't think the club have employed Ole and would give him a free ride. He would have to be a monumentally shit manager to perform worse than we have over the course of the season.
When I and others say the season is done, its relative. It is relative to our ambitions at the start of the season. People are already expecting better football. That's already an upgrade on what we have served up. And with these players, I can't see how better football leads to worse results.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Overnight you should see the players playing with more freedom. A cloud of negativity will have lifted. Whether he is tactically up to the job remains to be seen but I do expect a "new manager boost" in terms of effort and with the shackles removed it should be better to watch. Some players who thought they were probably going to leave in Jan or the summer will now have a chance to shine. On the flip side as Gary Neville pointed out it now means players like Pogba have no excuse.

It's low risk in that its only until the end of the season and Utd aren't in danger of going down. I think it would take a titanic effort to squeeze into the top 4 and would require the aid of an implosion from 2 of the current top 5. But IF Utd were to beat PSG and draw Roma or Porto in the quarter finals you may find you're only 3 games away from winning the CL. Unlikely but its been done before.

Looking at the bigger picture the most important thing for Utd now is to start to rebuild your reputation for attractive football. The last 3 managerial appointments have totally decimated what Busby and Ferguson had built. The next permanent manager must be cut from the right cloth and therefore not someone like Simeone/Conte.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Said to my mate before the match (didn't watch it as I fell asleep):

To be fair to OGS.
He's come in and, Jones aside, has fielded what is probably United's first choice XI all in their natural positions.
Might not seem like much, but it's an improvement for United fans hehe.
Not surprised to wake up & see you'd thrashed Cardiff :D Probably a daft question, but how was it to watch? As good as the scoreline reflects?

Fetshu

Not surprised to wake up & see you'd thrashed Cardiff :D Probably a daft question, but how was it to watch? As good as the scoreline reflects?
Even better.

Right from the get-go, You could feel the difference. Everyone was playing with a swagger and intent. We were pressing hard, doing lovely link-up plays, fb's were constantly bombing forward etc.

It was day and night from the performances under Mou and you could see it already by watching this 1 match.

Players had more freedom to do their own thing and weren't glued to positions.
Even Lindelof and Jones were making attacking runs at one point - should say it all.

caid

Pretty bizarre. Was completely unrecognisable to the usual shit. Nice fairytale start.

Nick7

We actually pressed! But yeah far more emphatic than the Fulham game.we

Trikie

Supports
Liverpool
Lets see if this just a new manager honeymoon period or if this is it now. Always new you had the players just wrong set up/tactics. Nice set of 4 games to get going and build confidence (although you didn't lack any tonight) and momentum. could be a really good race for the top four

Snash93

Supports
Liverpool
To be honest, I like Ole and wish him well in his managerial career. Expectations are low and this is the perfect opportunity for him and as long as he can get good performances, that will do him a world of good as other clubs in the PL will look at him if United don't keep him on.

ashfritz

Supports
Liverpool
New manager bounce plus easy fixtures should ensure a good start, not surprised with the result but the performance certainly exceeded my expectations. Martials goal was especially sublime.

Still think there are structural issues within the club, and players who need replacing (Mata, Sanchez, Valencia, Young, Matic spring to mind immediately as past their best and wont offer much from next season).

OGS was one of the few likeable players from your lot for me, so I'm interested to see how he copes and what's his tactical style against big teams in the PL and PSG. Maybe also a chance to make a statement with a FA cup win.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Yes, there might be a new manager bounce to it. But the change in philosophy was obvious.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
As I said in another thread, he’s just so likable. He even smiled and laughed in the presser I saw.

I expect the United manager to be easier to dislike than is the case with Solskjær.

Mourinho was perfect. Particularly since the summer.

#Mmma #MakeMourinhoManagerAgain

St Red

KRAP
Early days, but yesterday's result was pretty much on the cards no matter who took over.
Couldn't believe the short sighted rejoicing from so many Liverpool fans when news broke of Mourinho's sacking.
Any appointment was going to be an improvement.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Bump

Wondering how oppo's feel about Ole now and more specifically about him as our manager next season? Are you still thinking the job's too big for him and he'll be found out? Are you worried about how good we may be with him next season? Could you not give a toss either way?

JosDeVos

Supports
Neutral.
I can finally stand watching United games again, so I'm all in favour.

Then again I'm more a fan of Premier League football than a proper 'oppo fan'. Either way, United games being entertaining to watch again is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Should definitely get the job next season.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Bump

Wondering how oppo's feel about Ole now and more specifically about him as our manager next season? Are you still thinking the job's too big for him and he'll be found out? Are you worried about how good we may be with him next season? Could you not give a toss either way?
He's obviously done a lot better than I thought he would, although I did think he would be able to challenge for 4th.

Overall its very early to say for me. I'd like to see what type of attacking patterns he will coach, and overall philosophy.

Then again I'm more a fan of Premier League football than a proper 'oppo fan'. Either way, United games being entertaining to watch again is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Also pretty much this for me, I enjoy watching football, and although I obviously to some degree enjoyed the Mourinho meltdown drama, the games were very boring to watch.

Handré1990

Hey now, I never said I wanted your results to improve :D I just don't wanna tune into a United game on a whim & lose faith in humanity (or at the very least interest in the sport).
My god this is accurate, looking back:lol: You’re alright, Tommy!

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
He's done really well. Far better than I expected him to do considering this isn't his squad of players and he's had to come in mid season and pick up Mourinho's mess. You were miles away from top four when he came in and now I'd say you're favorites to get there ahead of Arsenal & Chelsea. I genuinely think you would've beaten us if you'd been at full strength on Sunday.

I'd say he's a better option for you then Pochettino. He understands the club and what the fans want. They'll always consider him a legend regardless of what happens so it's not like his reputation is on the line. He's got a good team around him as well. Phelan was a very smart appointment and I think having Carrick around is smart as well. The players clearly enjoy playing for him which is important.

You've had three managers come in since Ferguson retired but none of them really understood United's identity as a club. Solskjaer definitely does and you can see that from what he says in his interviews. From the word go he was talking about focusing on how United were going to play instead of just planning for the opposition. Things like that mean something for a club like United. You know he's always going to try to get you off of your seat which is what you want from your manager as United fans.

The one question mark is how he'll get on in the summer. United haven't been very consistent with making smart/good signings for a while so he'll need to amend that. If he gets it right I genuinely think you'll be pushing for top three next season.

Obviously I hope he relegates you but I think he was a very good appointment.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool

Agreed on all counts. It'd be a joke if he didn't get the job at this point.

I like him.

cvslfc123

Supports
Liverpool
He's done a fantastic job considering the position Utd were in before Christmas. I think they will get Top 4. If he takes points of Man City and that helps us then I will love him.

Reactions: Penna

Makalu

He's done really well. Far better than I expected him to do considering this isn't his squad of players and he's had to come in mid season and pick up Mourinho's mess. You were miles away from top four when he came in and now I'd say you're favorites to get there ahead of Arsenal & Chelsea. I genuinely think you would've beaten us if you'd been at full strength on Sunday.

I'd say he's a better option for you then Pochettino. He understands the club and what the fans want. They'll always consider him a legend regardless of what happens so it's not like his reputation is on the line. He's got a good team around him as well. Phelan was a very smart appointment and I think having Carrick around is smart as well. The players clearly enjoy playing for him which is important.

You've had three managers come in since Ferguson retired but none of them really understood United's identity as a club. Solskjaer definitely does and you can see that from what he says in his interviews. From the word go he was talking about focusing on how United were going to play instead of just planning for the opposition. Things like that mean something for a club like United. You know he's always going to try to get you off of your seat which is what you want from your manager as United fans.

The one question mark is how he'll get on in the summer. United haven't been very consistent with making smart/good signings for a while so he'll need to amend that. If he gets it right I genuinely think you'll be pushing for top three next season.

Obviously I hope he relegates you but I think he was a very good appointment.
Good post. For some weird reason I go on RAWK time to time to see what the opinion is there, and I see a lot of posts saying that they hope we do sign Ole on long term as they're convinced he will screw it up. Do you agree? As in, if you put your Liverpool shirt on, wish that Utd fail and fall into mid-table mediocrity, what do you want us to do then - keep Ole or go for Poch? Or hire Moyes I guess

deafepl

I'm not sure if Opp is serious or joking about happy that we are watchable again and believe Ole should get a job next season.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Good post. For some weird reason I go on RAWK time to time to see what the opinion is there, and I see a lot of posts saying that they hope we do sign Ole on long term as they're convinced he will screw it up. Do you agree? As in, if you put your Liverpool shirt on, wish that Utd fail and fall into mid-table mediocrity, what do you want us to do then - keep Ole or go for Poch? Or hire Moyes I guess
He definitely seems like a good fit, although you could also argue he's still in his honeymoon period and anyone would've been an upgrade on Mourinho.

He should get the job based on what he's done so far, but the jury is still out on him imo. I'm not convinced he can lead United during a title challenge (against this City side), let alone bring you back to domestic domination. That's also not a guarantee with Pochettino or any other manager you'd bring in during the Summer I guess, so it'd be logical to stick with Solskjaer.

I think you'll enjoy your best season (performance wise) since SAF retired, but will not be involved in a title challenge. He's just not a proven manager at the moment and I want to see how he handles adversity or bad spells first. I definitely don't think it'll be a disaster or anything close to it though.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
I don't think he'll screw up but a lot hinges on a)whether he's backed enough in the summer & b) whether he gets his signings right. United's starting XI needs some improvement at RB, CB, a midfielder & probably another attacker somewhere.

I wonder if he'll try and use some of the younger players. There's always talented players in United's youth set up but nowadays it's hard to get them the game time.

I think you'd be worse off if you go for Pochettino. He's a better and more experienced manager but it's another case of someone coming in who doesn't know the club, so it might end in tears again.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
You'd think the club would have learned from some recent mistakes and quickly install a structure to help Ole (or Poch, or whoever) with this. They'll be stupid to just expect him to go this alone, especially with the amount of duds Van Gaal and Mourinho brought in.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He definitely seems like a good fit, although you could also argue he's still in his honeymoon period and anyone would've been an upgrade on Mourinho.

He should get the job based on what he's done so far, but the jury is still out on him imo. I'm not convinced he can lead United during a title challenge (against this City side), let alone bring you back to domestic domination. That's also not a guarantee with Pochettino or any other manager you'd bring in during the Summer I guess, so it'd be logical to stick with Solskjaer.

I think you'll enjoy your best season (performance wise) since SAF retired, but will not be involved in a title challenge. He's just not a proven manager at the moment and I want to see how he handles adversity or bad spells first. I definitely don't think it'll be a disaster or anything close to it though.
On a side note to this I think there's too much money in the PL for any club to dominate it now, it's the best part of a decade since anyone's even retained it let alone do what we did throughout the nineties/noughties

deafepl

Even though it is not ideal to compare between Norway league and EPL but after Ole left us in reverse coaching step up for Modle, Modle won their first league under Ole and two in a row and won the cup final beating the most dominant team in Norway. Modle also enjoyed success in the transfer market where they sold 2 times or the 3-time price they bought, beating Europa champions Sevilla at home whereas they look so matched against Sevilla especially when you consider the quality team between two teams, I'd say that is more impressive. I think he'd be fine with pressure on his shoulder to deliver trophies and capable of leading United during a title challenge if United spend on RW, CB and RB and other depth in midfield and fullback but the jury is still out on him

Ole has taken over United which had the worst EPL season in our history and squad is not his, yet he has more points than anyone in the premier league after first 10 games and only dropped 4 points out of 30 possible points, beating Arsenal, Spurs, and Chelsea away from the home in row in all competitions.

Then again, it is impossible not to give him the job over the likes of Poch

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
He seems to have such a large amount of goodwill from the fans and ex players at United that I think the Glazers and Ed would not dare to bring in another outsider.
Would be interesting to know whether they have already approached another Manager in private and provisionally sounded them out and now will need to backtrack. Don’t suppose we’ll find out anytime soon.
Assuming Ole does indeed get the job I can see the improved team performances and positive attitude among fans continuing with some big incoming and outgoing transfers happening in the next 18 months.
Top 4 will be pretty much assured and maybe some decent silverware too but can’t see consistent PL for a while but maybe a one-off win will occur.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Thought I'd bump this to see what people think now. Yesterday was a fairly well thought out plan to stop us from doing what we do well, but it's two league wins from nine now and United have only scored more than once in one game all season. I read a stat today that they've had the same number of shots on target in October as Danny Ings has, so goal scoring is clearly an issue.

Defensively United seem fairly solid. Maguire & AWB have improved them for sure.

Can Solskjaer turn this around?

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Thought I'd bump this to see what people think now. Yesterday was a fairly well thought out plan to stop us from doing what we do well, but it's two league wins from nine now and United have only scored more than once in one game all season. I read a stat today that they've had the same number of shots on target in October as Danny Ings has, so goal scoring is clearly an issue.

Defensively United seem fairly solid. Maguire & AWB have improved them for sure.

Can Solskjaer turn this around?
They have a good team. Few more investments and they’ll be competing again. Just not sure Ole is the man for this.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
They have a good team. Few more investments and they’ll be competing again. Just not sure Ole is the man for this.
Definitely some good players there. Pogba, DDG, AWB, Shaw, Lindelof, Maguire, Martial, Rashford, & some others are a solid foundation. They need to add goals.

Injuries is another issue I've noticed. When they're reoccurring muscular injuries like this I think it can be down to training as much as it can be down to luck. I used to think the same about Wenger at Arsenal, and it happened to us early on under Klopp when the players were still adjusting to his higher intensity style.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Most of the resident Facebook bin dippers are banging on about the result yesterday saying that hopefully it keeps him in a job.