Oppo fan's view on Ole Gunnar Solskjær's appointment?

Member 90887

Definitely some good players there. Pogba, DDG, AWB, Shaw, Lindelof, Maguire, Martial, Rashford, & some others are a solid foundation. They need to add goals.

Injuries is another issue I've noticed. When they're reoccurring muscular injuries like this I think it can be down to training as much as it can be down to luck. I used to think the same about Wenger at Arsenal, and it happened to us early on under Klopp when the players were still adjusting to his higher intensity style.
I agree we need goals, but just look at the list of players you cited as a solid foundation, Half of them didn't play for more than a month, some since august. While i agree that 2 wins out of 9 is unnaceptable, i think the situation looks worse that it is. it's definitly gonna get better with those players back and i think we will be around the top 4 at the end of the season.

The injuries have been happening under Moyes, LVG, Jose and now Ole, i'm not sure it's the training.

mav_9me

They have a good team. Few more investments and they’ll be competing again. Just sure Ole is not the man for this.
Corrected it for you.

Flippant comment aside, I see the injuries but my problem is I don't see a plan or way of playing. Yesterday was for the first time in a while where we had a plan, but note it's easy to plan to be defensive and counter. It's harder to get players playing proper football/ passing football etc. This is where he falls short for me.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
If I'm honest, I'm entirely unconvinced.

While it's true that the Man United squad has some serious deficiencies despite the insane money spent, a good manager will always elevate a team higher than where it would otherwise finish - Ole isn't doing that right now, and while it's true that the problem isn't of his own making, I don't see anything from him that suggests he's the man to fix what's going on on the pitch.

I get that there's a long-term fix for the problems you're currently going through, with the need for a focus on better recruitment, a consistent philosophy between managers so you don't need a squad rebuild every time, etc, but what about the short term? The squad you have is better than what it's currently showing, but there's no hiding your need for midfield/attacking signings, which brings up another point: No player is going to be lured in by the chance to play for Ole. Sure, United as a club have huge pull (& wages) to offer any potential signing, but a good manager on top of that really is a huge boost.

I'd be looking to replace him.

mav_9me

Needs more time a full season and you will be in a position to see whats going on.
Not sure if serious. If serious, any on the pitch signs you see that make you think Ole can improve our attacking play/ or even basic football?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Managers don't get that any more though. What happens if he doesn't get a win against Norwich next weekend?
Ok who's available, that will guarantee an improvement?

Not sure if serious. If serious, any on the pitch signs you see that make you think Ole can improve our attacking play/ or even basic football?
Who you gonna get that will guarantee you improve your on the pitch play? Unless you have someone lined up what's the point, I mean less than 2 month ago you gave the guy a decent wack of cash to spend.

mav_9me

Who you gonna get that will guarantee you improve your on the pitch play? Unless you have someone lined up what's the point, I mean less than 2 month ago you gave the guy a decent wack of cash to spend.
No one right now, but I dont have access to Nagelsmann or Rose or Poch or any of the available people either. So what I would say is if I were Woodward, I would prepare an alternative and let Ole go.

For what its worth you are in same boat as us. Matter of time for both Ole and Poch.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm delighted to see Ole in the job and hope he remains as Utd manager for many years. I and most supporters of all clubs other than Utd feel this way. Make of that what you will.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Improvement from what United have been doing since March? I'm fairly certain anyone half decent. This isn't just a glitch, this is approaching Chelsea 15/16 terroritary.

I've always been a bit baffled with "what shall we do continue sacking managers?" mentality amoung fans of not just United all clubs, the answer is yes that is exactly what you should keep doing until you find the right man and if said right man's reign goes stale you sack him and go again and don't settle till you find the next right man. People think far too romantically when it comes to manager's. People slate Romans itchy trigger finger but he's spot on, if they are shit sack them (AVB, Scolari) and if they were great but the milk went stale (Conte, Ancelotti) sack them and go again, it's worked an absolute treat all in all.

Constantly changing managers isn't ideal but sticking to the wrong one on the off chance because it worked once with Fergie is 1000x more damaging.

I hate saying something like this about Ole because he seems a decent guy and I low-key liked him as a player but he is an absolutely awful manager and I'll be gutted if/when United sack him.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
No one right now, but I dont have access to Nagelsmann or Rose or Poch or any of the available people either. So what I would say is if I were Woodward, I would prepare an alternative and let Ole go.

For what its worth you are in same boat as us. Matter of time for both Ole and Poch.
Yeah I agree with that unless there is a fast turn round .

Improvement from what United have been doing since March? I'm fairly certain anyone half decent. This isn't just a glitch, this is approaching Chelsea 15/16 terroritary.

I've always been a bit baffled with "what shall we do continue sacking managers?" mentality amoung fans of not just United all clubs, the answer is yes that is exactly what you should keep doing until you find the right man and if said right man's reign goes stale you sack him and go again and don't settle till you find the next right man. People think far too romantically when it comes to manager's.

Constantly changing managers isn't ideal but sticking to the wrong one on the off chance because it worked once with Fergie is 1000x more damaging.

I hate saying something like this about Ole because he seems a decent guy and I low-key liked him as a player but he is an absolutely awful manager and I'll be gutted if/when United sack him.
I am not saying its should go on indefinitely, I just do see the logic behind sacking someone unless there is someone lined up, Phelan or Carrick quite possibly wont do anything more than Ole.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah I agree with that unless there is a fast turn round .

I am not saying its should go on indefinitely, I just do see the logic behind sacking someone unless there is someone lined up, Phelan or Carrick quite possibly wont do anything more than Ole.
There's always someone if you look hard enough.

I can't pick out names myself because i don't follow world football as much as I use to but there must be some hungry tactician about that would jump at the chance of going to United, it's usually the Southampton's of this world that find these managers en route to the big clubs (like Pochettino) but given the state United are in they would have nothing to lose cutting out the middle man and getting one of these 'hipster' managers before they do.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Could be, but he is tactically as defensive as Jose, but certainly not as abrasive towards the club.
He's got a pretty good and very recent track record with Juventus. That's got to count for something.

He'd need time but I think he could stabilize them in the top six and then build from there.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
He's got a pretty good and very recent track record with Juventus. That's got to count for something.

He'd need time but I think he could stabilize them in the top six and then build from there.
Not much more than a good track record with PSG. Juventus are by far the biggest fish in that pond, & their constant failure on the European stage reflects poorly on him. Don't get me wrong, he's a good manager, but his style of football is tumescent, and I'd not personally put him among the elite.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Not much more than a good track record with PSG. Juventus are by far the biggest fish in that pond, & their constant failure on the European stage reflects poorly on him. Don't get me wrong, he's a good manager, but his style of football is tumescent, and I'd not personally put him among the elite.
I personally think the fact he maintained their dominance reflects well on him. It's not as easy as people think trying to motivate players to go again for a trophy they have already won a zillion times, In my opinion it's harder than taking over a team there or there abouts that just need one final push, in those scenario's the motivation part of the team talk is done for you.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Ole is probably not the man to lead you forward. But he has been dealt a seriously shite hand by Woodward, luck, and injuries. You are severely lacking in both the quality and quantity of attacking/creative players and it seems like every match Ole is sitting there in the 60th minute with a bunch of attacking players on the field (who aren't good enough to begin with) that are now tiring and yet nobody on the bench to change the game or offer a new way to trouble the defense. It is very telling that United have scored only one second half goal in their last eight league matches.

My biggest reservation about Ole is that, even if you had the right players, I'm not very confident that he could build a side that could truly dominate matches while balancing attack and defense. That is the hardest thing to do and nothing I've seen from him suggests that he is capable of constructing that kind of side.

Last edited:

Supermonkey_Wolf

Supports
Chelsea
Not the standard that United need to get back to the top. I don't think the way United play reflects well on him as a coach specifically because I can't see any noticeable change in the way you play, or just any clear idea of what his approach is.

To give him credit he seemed to have changed the atmosphere and selling Lukaku was the right move. He's added a bit of principle in a time most are gladly losing it.

Plus signing James and AWB were spot on. I think they fit the United way. He should be seen as a stop gap that helped clear the weeds so the environment is good for the next manager, not the man to take you back himself. If I'm honest, I think he's gone in a year anyway.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Constant failure seems harsh; they did make 2 CL finals under him...

caid

I'm not sure anyone could tbh. Our first 11 is good enough for that but the drop off in quality if any of them get injured is pretty sharp. I think a team of Bailly, Jones, Young, Matic, Fred, Mata, Lingard and Greenwood would probably get relegated if they were playing every week. Am I crazy and underestimating how bad others are?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Probably not going to work but I could understand you giving him the job when you did last season.

What I can't understand is why you left yourself so short upfront with the summer dealings (and also in Central midfield). Yes fair enough move Alexis and Lukaku out but not to replace either was mind boggling naive.

Don't understand how he came to that when he was always part of four great strikers under Fergie.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
At the time of the appointment I thought it was a sensible move to bring in somebody to lift the doom and gloom of Mourinho, on a temporary basis. To be honest I think any ex United player could have given the club a lift, but I understood the logic of Solskjaer as he had worked with many of these players before.

The problem was it actually went too well for Ole! United were winning so much it made it difficult, almost impossible not to give him the job on a permanent basis!

The second problem you now have is the expectation of the fans don't match up with the choice of manager you have. What I mean by this is when Liverpool appointed Klopp, the majority of fans were delighted to have him and happy to give him as much time as possible to get things right. When Chelsea appointed Lampard the majority of Chelsea fans accepted that they weren't going to challenge for the major trophies straight away but wanted a manager to play good football and give young players a chance.

I think United have made good signings this summer, albeit overpriced, but this club needs 2 to 3 years to get back to the top at least. I don't think Solskjaer is the right man for you though. The football he plays is basically the same as Roy Hodgson, and not what the majority of fans seem to want and unlikely to get you any higher than 6th or 7th in the league.