OranjeCafe: The Netherlands at the World Cup

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Being a season ticket holder at Feyenoord, it makes me curious why you like Clasie so much. He's alright for the Dutch league, great player for my hometown club, but he's an Vernon Anita (newcastle sub) player at maximum potential, bit more passing skills but nothing special.
I haven't really watched him, that much. I just read scouting reports and views from some of his other watchers.

I'll probably make a good judgement by watching him more regularly, and I hope to do that in the near future. Still, I feel excited about Clasie, but you know better about him than I do.

SATA

Who will be their first choice goalkeeper? Thought it has always been Stekelenburg but i don't see his name being called up?

Hojoon

Their squad looks nothing special really. None of their defenders are tested at the highest level and their midfielders are either past their prime or still a few years before they peak. They'll do well to get out of their group.

Hannibal

And their top players tend to shy away. Robben and van Persie haven't replicated their domestic form for their national team. Sneijder was the only one who would normally turn up, but his best days are gone.
Any player that can ping a pass like this should not worry about his age. The ball does the leg work for Sneijder....

What a pass......

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Van Persie had a poor tournament - He should have scored from that chance by taking it round the goalie & slotting into the empty net.
How very nice of you to say that. Especially since it was Huntelaar missing the chance in that GIF, not van Persie (who with Van der Vaart were the only two players that managed to score a goal for us that tournament and therefore were decent imo, better than the rest at least).

I must also make small correction about Paris Saint Germains Gregory van der Wiel not being selected. Media reports today tell the real story. He is injured, has been playing with a chronic knee injury the whole season using pain killers. So Van Gaal did not choose Augsburg right-back Paul Verhaegh over Van der Wiel, he chose Verhaegh because van der Wiel called off himself.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Hopefully the Dutch do well. I would love to see Van Gaal and RVP coming to United after a great tournament.

The group isn't going to be simple but I think they will just make it out.

SlyFiz

So what kind of a starting line up are we looking at, considering van gaal has come out and said they'll be playing 5-3-2?

Robben-RVP up front?

bucky

If Strootman was fit for them, even if their squad looks not that good on paper, I reckon, they would have done well enough. Without him it's going to be interesting, since it's weakening their midfield considerably.

Cillessen

Janmaat - Veltman - Martins Indi - Blind

de Jong - Clasie

Sneijder

Robben - van Persie - Depay

or

Cillessen

Janmaat - Vlaar - M. Indi - Kongolo

Blind - Clasie

Sneijder

Robben - van Persie - Depay
I have no idea actually.

So what kind of a starting line up are we looking at, considering van gaal has come out and said they'll be playing 5-3-2?

Robben-RVP up front?
Seems unlike him to do that, did he really say that?

lostcauz

I don't want to derail the thread too much but homegrown talent is over 60% in Holland, higher than the top 4 leagues. Why isn't more top talent coming from this?
This is my concern with England, boosting percentages without boosting the quality of players coming through.

Anyway, the World Cup with this squad will be a real test.

Unlikely lad

Think they're being underestimated, Chile are no pushovers, but the Netherlands should make it out of their group quite comfortably.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Will be knocked out in the first round. Should have won it in 2010. I don't think they're going to the final again any time soon.

Stickert

Louis van Gaal is going to try a new tactic this saturday vs Ecuador. Because Strootman is injured he changed the tactic from 4-3-3 to 5-3-2.

The line up is not announced yet but i think it's going to be something like this.

Cillesen
Janmaat - De Vrij - Vlaar - Martins Indi - Kongolo
De Jong - Clasie/Fer/Blind
Sneijder
Robben - Van Persie

voetball777

@bucky I think Krul will get the spot over Cillessen, and I think it's nailed on that Lens will get Depay's spot up front. We've been going with Robben-RvP-Lens for a while now.

AjaxNL

@Stickert I think Veltman deserves the spot of de Vrij. You got Vlaar and Bruno Martins Indi who will mark the strikers and Veltman will be the man to push into midfield in the buildup, much like Vertonghen used to do for Ajax. Furthermore, I do not think that Clasie or Fer will have a spot in midfield, as I do not think that LvG will play with two purely defensive midfielders in front of a five man defense. I personally hope that de Guzman will take that spot, in the Strootman role. the match against Ecuador will be fun to watch, a lot will become clear there in terms of system/intentions/players.

Reactions: Penna

bucky

@bucky I think Krul will get the spot over Cillessen, and I think it's nailed on that Lens will get Depay's spot up front. We've been going with Robben-RvP-Lens for a while now.
Alright, just looked at their last friendly and copied some, I'm not sure about.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/louis-va...l-532-dutch-world-cup-system/471644-5-21.html

Definitely said it. Apparently he consulted RVP and Robben before making the decision.
Cheers!

DanBorja

I'm surprised at how unattractive Holland's squad looks this year.

Chile and Spain to advance.

Annahnomoss

This squad isn't very convincing, one of the biggest step downs since the last WC, just can't see them make it far. Past the group stage and that should be a satisfied result for them this time around. Anything better than that will surprise me positively. Just hope RVP will have a great tournament so he walks in to next season without any possible lack of confidence.

Annahnomoss

Adopting a 5-3-2 all of a sudden, LVG in a nutshell and is the reason I love him as a manager. Just on a different level when it comes to open mindedness and revolutionary tactical decisions.

NoPace

Adopting a 5-3-2 all of a sudden, LVG in a nutshell and is the reason I love him as a manager. Just on a different level when it comes to open mindedness and revolutionary tactical decisions.
Louis van Gaal is going to try a new tactic this saturday vs Ecuador. Because Strootman is injured he changed the tactic from 4-3-3 to 5-3-2.

The line up is not announced yet but i think it's going to be something like this.

Cillesen
Janmaat - De Vrij - Vlaar - Martins Indi - Kongolo
De Jong - Clasie/Fer/Blind
Sneijder
Robben - Van Persie
I missed all this. Haven`t seen Kongolo play, but if he can get forward well it`s not the worst idea. Van Aarnholt was certainly better going forward than defending when he was a youth in England, so maybe he`ll be the LWB?

Maybe Martins Indi could play centrally and Blind could play LCB? He`s versatile enough and could step into midfield well to support the CM`s.

Insanely difficult group against Chile and Spain, or in the R of 16 against Brazil. Their draw is really terrible. Also, of those three teams, only Chile might start with 2 up front, so if Netherlands play 5 at the back, will that lead their midfield to be passed around all game? I guess you can live with that from Chile and even from Brazil as long as Fernandinho doesn`t play, but giving Xabi and Xavi that much time is surely a mistake.

NoPace

Our squad is really bad.. Spain and Chili look much better.
We all love Chile, but only Vidal and Sanchez would walk into the Dutch XI, and maybe Mena and Medel would beat out the Dutch LB and either Strootman`s replacement or a CB in a 3 at the back scenario.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
I have to say this is a poor Dutch squad, but maybe they will surprise us and remember:
Real men wear orange :p

Stadjer

We all love Chile, but only Vidal and Sanchez would walk into the Dutch XI, and maybe Mena and Medel would beat out the Dutch LB and either Strootman`s replacement or a CB in a 3 at the back scenario.
Perhaps.. i just fear our defense isnt good enough. Janmaat is without a doubt the best RB in the Eredivisie but lacks all international experience. Kongolo looks like a talent but only played a few matches in the Eredivisie. Personally i don't like Veltman because he lacks experiences and even in the Eredivisie he makes a mistake every game. Martins Indi and de Vrij aren't that good either and Ron Vlaar is our best defender...

Tiber

I've always had a soft spot for Holland and root for them as NI never qualify.... even more so this year with lvg

Annahnomoss

I missed all this. Haven`t seen Kongolo play, but if he can get forward well it`s not the worst idea. Van Aarnholt was certainly better going forward than defending when he was a youth in England, so maybe he`ll be the LWB?

Maybe Martins Indi could play centrally and Blind could play LCB? He`s versatile enough and could step into midfield well to support the CM`s.

Insanely difficult group against Chile and Spain, or in the R of 16 against Brazil. Their draw is really terrible. Also, of those three teams, only Chile might start with 2 up front, so if Netherlands play 5 at the back, will that lead their midfield to be passed around all game? I guess you can live with that from Chile and even from Brazil as long as Fernandinho doesn`t play, but giving Xabi and Xavi that much time is surely a mistake.
Yeah, I doubt there is a chance they will go far but not many managers has the ability to change formation completely from nowhere. Hopefully it works out well and they get past the group-stage. Would be great for RVP and LVG.