OranjeCafe: The Netherlands at the World Cup

Dutch-Moroccan

It's official. Nigel de Jong is out for this WC.
Such a big miss, i think this could make the differnce between win this WC or not.

Imagine if Strootman and de Jong could play this whole WC....

I think van Gaal should play like this the rest of the matches.
Against Costa Rica 4-3-3:

----------------Cilissen----------------
Janmaat----Vlaar---De Vrij-----Blind
-----------Fer--------De Guzman----
---------------Sneijder----------------
Robben---------RVP------------Depay

If we go through play against Argentine/Switserland/USA/Belgium 5-3-2

-----------------Cilissen-----------------
Janmaat---BMI--Vlaar--de Vrij---Blind
---------De Guzman--Fer--------------
----------------Sneijder-----------------
-----------Robben---RVP----------------

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
It's official. Nigel de Jong is out for this WC.
Such a big miss, i think this could make the differnce between win this WC or not.

Imagine if Strootman and de Jong could play this whole WC....

I think van Gaal should play like this the rest of the matches.
Against Costa Rica 4-3-3:

----------------Cilissen----------------
Janmaat----Vlaar---De Vrij-----Blind
-----------Fer--------De Guzman----
---------------Sneijder----------------
Robben---------RVP------------Depay

If we go through play against Argentine/Switserland/USA/Belgium 5-3-2

-----------------Cilissen-----------------
Janmaat---BMI--Vlaar--de Vrij---Blind
---------De Guzman--Fer--------------
----------------Sneijder-----------------
-----------Robben---RVP----------------
Isn't Fer also injured?

Gorefest

At least for the next match, yes. Will probably be De Guzman and either Wijnaldum or Clasie now. I'd be very interested to see Clasie make an appearance, I think he would be perfect for the Costa Rica match to really infuse a different vibe to the team.

Dutch-Moroccan

At least for the next match, yes. Will probably be De Guzman and either Wijnaldum or Clasie now. I'd be very interested to see Clasie make an appearance, I think he would be perfect for the Costa Rica match to really infuse a different vibe to the team.
O seriously?
Then i think he will play blind next to De Guzman. And put Kuyt on the left back.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
Van der Vaart missing imho ended up being a good thing. In his current form and seemingly even mental state I think he would've had a negative impact on the balance of the team.
I think he would have had a good impact on the fluency of the team. He's often criticized for his form and fitness the last four years, but for the Netherlands he has never been as poor as Sneijder the last few matches. I'm convinced Van Gaal would have preferred him, but he was injured too often to get fit.

NinjaFletch

Anyone else of the opinion that the Dutch have gone from potential group stage exiters to potential champions?

No one else has come close to how impressive they've been imo, struggled against Mexico a touch (who hasn't?) but came through it, and they're in a potentially easy half of the draw.

Firstouch20

I think he would have had a good impact on the fluency of the team. He's often criticized for his form and fitness the last four years, but for the Netherlands he has never been as poor as Sneijder the last few matches. I'm convinced Van Gaal would have preferred him, but he was injured too often to get fit.
van der Vaart is twice the footballer Sneijder ever was. Far more gifted but unfortunately he has the physique of a 50 year old alcoholic chain smoker. If he was more blessed physically we would be talking about him in the same breath as the likes of Iniesta.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
De Jong out of the world cup... confirmed.

It's over.

puppeteer

Anyone else seeing this dutch side as the favourite? I just have a sense they will be very hard to play against for anyone. They are beating Costa Rica and maybe even destroying Argentina. Robben is amazing and RvP will have more great games when they are not palyed in 30 degree heat.

I tip them to go to the finals easily. I'm sticking by that.

Also, they can replace De Jong. A lot of CB's play DMF, why can't bruno Martens Indi. I even see Kuyt playing a role like that. They are a good mix of experience and youth.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
van der Vaart is twice the footballer Sneijder ever was. Far more gifted but unfortunately he has the physique of a 50 year old alcoholic chain smoker. If he was more blessed physically we would be talking about him in the same breath as the likes of Iniesta.
Probably, he's not gifted with endurance like Kuijt for example, and with all his injuries it's difficult to get fit again and again. And in a match he wants to do too much, always explosive little turns and sprints and tackles. With his body he should be a bit more like Pirlo.

Technically, there's not much difference between Sneijder and Van der Vaart, but Van der Vaart has much better vision.

Gorefest

Everything better than Paul Verhaegh haha.
But who you think will play at left back if Blind will replace de Jong?
Martens-Indi. He seems to have recovered, although he still didn't seem his old self when he had to come on for De Jong. With De Jong gone they should just switch back to the tried and tested 4-3-3 against CR. So Martens-Indi, Vlaar, De Vrij, Janmaat; Blind/De Guzman, Wijnaldum, Sneijder; Depay, Van Persie, Robben. Should do the trick against CR.

Reactions: Theon

Gorefest

Anyone else seeing this dutch side as the favourite? I just have a sense they will be very hard to play against for anyone.
With Nigel de Jong out, there's slim to no chance. He kept our midfield up during the group stages. We've lost too many vital players now to make it to the end, I'm afraid.

Gorefest

Don't know about Croatia, but Costa Rica should be okay ;) But that is based on the Costa Rica from the knockout phase, not the Costa Rica from the group stages. Their style of play would really suit us, though, as they drive forward in numbers and seem to be a bit naive in defense.

Unlikely lad

De Jong being out is very frustrating, even though he wasn't pulling up trees (only 8 tackles in 4 games?!), not sure if Blind can be as good.

Unlikely lad

Don't know about Croatia, but Costa Rica should be okay ;) But that is based on the Costa Rica from the knockout phase, not the Costa Rica from the group stages. Their style of play would really suit us, though, as they drive forward in numbers and seem to be a bit naive in defense.
Don't they play 5 at the back too? Could end up being very similar to the Mexico game if van Gaal goes with a 5-3-2 again.

puppeteer

With Nigel de Jong out, there's slim to no chance. He kept our midfield up during the group stages. We've lost too many vital players now to make it to the end, I'm afraid.
you will pleasantly surprised, I think. They can win and will make it to the final.

The Farmer

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Typical dutch attitude that. I have always kept confidence in this team even though media gave them no chance.

We'll beat CR and ARG in the semi-final. De Jong is important, but not game-winning.

So he spends a good time of his day to try and find Robben and yell cheater at him? ehh.

puppeteer

exactly. plus there is a lot of hard men in the sqquad that can replace him, I think.

voetball777

And don't forget we looked dead tired after 30 minutes against Mexico in the middle of the day. Now we have the evening kickoff, so the temperatures and sun should be much better for us as well.

Reactions: Penna

puppeteer

that's what I was trying to explain to my friends. I actually saw the victory against Mexico as a highly impressive one. They started playing right when they had to and finished the job.

Masterful coach(I am a Bayern fan, and let me tell you, this guy and robben are the reasons we mad it to the final of the cl after 10 years), amazing Robben and a very good bench. Depay and KJH are better subs that most of the teams have. Germany has a better bench, i think, but loew doesn't know shit.

Essaux

-------------Cilessen------------
Janmaat--DeVrij--Vlaar--Kuyt-
----------BMI-------Blind-------
-------------Sneijder------------
Robben------RVP-------DePay-

Dirk Kuyt. What a man. Playing LB, RB, Midfield, Forward.

Many question him, yet he is loved by all managers he has played for and his team mates also talk highly about him.

The guy is a fecking legend.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I think we'll see the Netherlands reach the final from here, which is a brilliant achievement.

The Farmer

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
-------------Cilessen------------
Janmaat--DeVrij--Vlaar--Kuyt-
----------BMI-------Blind-------
-------------Sneijder------------
Robben------RVP-------DePay-

Dirk Kuyt. What a man. Playing LB, RB, Midfield, Forward.

Many question him, yet he is loved by all managers he has played for and his team mates also talk highly about him.

The guy is a fecking legend.
I'd swap BMI for Wijnaldum really, why put BMI in midfield?

Essaux

I'd swap BMI for Wijnaldum really, why put BMI in midfield?
Well, I have BMI there as a defensive midfielder, he will provide that extra security lock to Holland's defence.

Wijnaldum is more of an attacking midfielder which I think we don't need against Argentina's defence. Especially since we have Blind, Sneijder, DePay providing crosses and incisive passes.

But hey, whether BMI or Wijnaldum plays, it is up to LvG in the end, we are just guessing here.

Adebesi

Im going with Holland v Argentina and France v Brazil as the semis, and from there it is really hard to call, those will / would be two cracking games that could go either way.

But Im going to say an Argentina v France final.