Osimhen v Kane

Well...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

croadyman

Unsure how to create a poll,however thought it was worth setting up new thread to see which of these two people think we should sign this summer.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Osimhen for me. Kane's became visibly slower already and I don't trust his ankles one bit even though on paper he's only 29. And while he compensates for it with his brilliant playmaking, he's also not much of a use in a high-pressing system and I don't really want for ten Hag to compromise his system for a star player's convenience.

Osimhen, on the other hand, is younger, works quite hard off the ball, is rapidly quick, very strong and fantastic in the air. The only thing that Kane really has over him, experience aside, is his playmaking - but Osimhen is actually quite decent in the build up himself.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Tbf I don't think we could complain if we landed either.

Even just in terms of squad profile though, I'd prefer Osimhen. Kane will be 30 at the start of next season, which in itself isn't an issue. But in addition to that Casemiro, Varane, Eriksen and De Gea will all be between 30-32 and Bruno will be just turning 29. That's a lot of key players hitting their 30s at around the same time, in addition to squad options like Fred, Maguire and Lindelof who are around the same age.

Osimhen at still just 24 years old would be a more attractive long-term option from that POV.

croadyman

Tbf I don't think we could complain if we landed either.

Even just in terms of squad profile though, I'd prefer Osimhen. Kane will be 30 at the start of next season, which in itself isn't an issue. But in addition to that Casemiro, Varane, Eriksen and De Gea will all be between 30-32 and Bruno will be just turning 29. That's a lot of key players hitting their 30s at around the same time, in addition to squad options like Fred, Maguire and Lindelof who are around the same age.

Osimhen at still just 24 years old would be a more attractive long-term option from that POV.
Yeah he looks a longer term signing,much as I think Kane looks great in Utd shirt I am intrigued to see what Erik could do with Osimhen. Would say even with rich owners the valuation of player will be important too

Mainoldo

Osimhen makes the long term sense… but Kane is clearly the better player. Get Kane even if it’s for 3 years, they’ll be another Victor Osimhen in that time, believe me.

youmeletsfly

Kane is not a long term answer, is slow, and sorry, I do not want a player that stayed 10 year at that average club to come for the retirement check.

Big Ray

Osimhen for me. Kane's became visibly slower already and I don't trust his ankles one bit even though on paper he's only 29. And while he compensates for it with his brilliant playmaking, he's also not much of a use in a high-pressing system and I don't really want for ten Hag to compromise his system for a star player's convenience.

Osimhen, on the other hand, is younger, works quite hard off the ball, is rapidly quick, very strong and fantastic in the air. The only thing that Kane really has over him, experience aside, is his playmaking - but Osimhen is actually quite decent in the build up himself.
Agree with this. Kane is definitely slowing already. He’s not one for a pressing side, and would probably be way over priced. Like the look of Osimhen.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Go for Kane then replace him with the next big striker.

Osimhen is good but I don’t see him being within the next top 10 strikers of the next 10 years.

There will be a better version of Osimhen coming up in the next 3 years.

Jev

Kane. Yes, he's older but he's miles better. He's as close as you can get to a guaranteed transformative signing whereas there's no guarantee Osimhen won't join the long list of players who struggled to replicate their overseas form in the Premier League.

Doracle

Kane obviously. He’s probably the most complete number 9 in the world and has had 9 seasons in a row where he has scored more league goals than Osimhen’s current best season in his career of 14, despite playing in a far tougher league and for a relatively weaker team.

If we lose out on Kane for some reason though, I’d happily go for Osimhen. There’s a lot more risk when he’s currently having his first genuinely top class season and he will be over-priced but he’s definitely got a lot of qualities that will work for us.

Bebestation

Kane obviously. He’s probably the most complete number 9 in the world and has had 9 seasons in a row where he has scored more league goals than Osimhen’s current best season in his career of 14, despite playing in a far tougher league and for a relatively weaker team.

If we lose out on Kane for some reason though, I’d happily go for Osimhen. There’s a lot more risk when he’s currently having his first genuinely top class season and he will be over-priced but he’s definitely got a lot of qualities that will work for us.
This.

Eriksen, Casemiro, De Gea and Bruno can’t wait for Osimhen to grow up and adapt to a new league.

Go for Kane and win the PL in both next two years (Kane would make us strong in the CL as well IMO ); and then we have the next 3-4 years to replace Casemiro, Kane and Bruno with the next best players in those positions ( Eriksen & De Gea will be replaced this summer with a CM & Sweeper Keeper anyway).

But if Ten Hag wanted Osimhen then that would be a different story.

I just don’t see how he would go for such experienced players and top them off with some inexperienced ones; especially when someone like Kane would arguably be cheaper than Osimhen.

Redlyn

I don't know about the other lad but please lets find a young up and coming striker and build for the future. Kane's boat has sailed. He'll be 30 before he kicks a ball for us. We already have enough 30+ players in our spine.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Go for Kane then replace him with the next big striker.

Osimhen is good but I don’t see him being within the next top 10 strikers of the next 10 years.

There will be a better version of Osimhen coming up in the next 3 years.
We’ve been saying this for years with a succession of stop gap strikers. Isn’t it about time we just got that “next big striker”?

Bebestation

We’ve been saying this for years with a succession of stop gap strikers. Isn’t it about time we just got that “next big striker”?
Seems like we are going for the next big striker when the list is extremely low. Osimhen seems like the only player above average.

I just want to go for the next big striker when the options are better.

Dare to Zlatan

Supports
Zlatan
Kane, as others have said there will be another group of new kids on the block in 2-3 years time who will be better then oshimen, whilst Kane will offer goal scoring numbers immediately

I don't want kane, I want a striker who plays off the last man. If we're breaking the bank, let's go for someone who does exactly what we need a striker to do in our system - that's have pace and occupy 2 cbs, have a good touch and hold the team shape. That isn't kane nowadays.

Kane is obviously brilliant, but he would be the biggest transfer in British history in terms of money spent and expectation - i don't think that would be good for us. We've just got rid of our really high-profile players and we look far better for it.

Osimhen looks a better profile for me, for his age and hunger. But obvs we keep looking.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Surprised by the responses. The answer is Kane by a massive margin! But @balaks (I think it was you?) was right when he said Kane has spent his entire career being either a one-season wonder or declared as finished. The likelihood is that he will still be playing at the absolute top level in five years' time anyway. I think Redcafe has always underrated Kane so I guess I shouldn't be that surprised people don't fancy him now either. For me, it's incredibly simple. If we can somehow get Kane, we have to do everything in our power to make it happen because he's by far the best and most transformative striker signing on the market.

StiffTackle

Both are quality strikers.

Kanes injuries and pace are a worry but he is currently the better player and is less of a risk in terms of his premier league experience.

However, even though he will only have a year left in the summer I cannot envision a world where Levy sells him for a realistic price. Anything above £80m for Kane is ridiculous and given Osimhens age, pace, physicality and work rate - he’s a better fit for our team and a much better investment than Kane at the same price.

Bebestation

I personally see Kane available at 65 million +~ 5 million depending on how frustrated Kane is with Spurs and Conte on his final year in contract (I think he is frustrated and done at Spurs because Conte is an insanely frustrating manager for most players).

Osimhen would cost above/near 120 million and Napoli is the non negotiating team of Italy.

Hulme91

In no world is this a contest, Kane is an elite top 5 striker and Osimhen is just a talent

Kane will likely go for anywhere between 60 - 80 million and Osimhen will be 120 million minimum considering how stubborn Napoli are... Go for the cheaper, less injury prone and vastly superior option

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Kane is better than Osimhen will ever be. BUT Osimhen is much smarter buy because of age. So Osimhen

Laurencio

Kane wins us the title IMO. He fits the system well and is a proven goalscorer in the division. He will have to be replaced within 3-4 years, but I think he'd get us a title win in that time.

As for Osimhen, I think he is a very good goal scorer. He lacks refinement in build up play though, which is a concern. I'm also concerned about how his talent translates to the premier league. Serie A is slower, he gets more space and we've not exactly seen ability in that division translate all that well over to the Premiership consistently. He is strong and fast, but his first touch is a bit heavy. I don't think he would get room to run as much as he does in Serie A.

For what Ten Hag wants his team to do, I think Kane is a much better fit at the moment. Also, there is a Georgian at Napoli who might be a better fit :nervous:

Abraxas

Personally I have no idea how good Osimhen truly is. I couldn't confidently state that he justifies 100mill plus without watching plenty of Napoli games. He's a bit of a flavour of the month but I wonder how much he has actually been watched by many on here or whether it's just fashion to be so confident about him.

But I definitely don't think Kane is a good idea. He's played in tumescent football sides both domestically and internationally for many years now. Whether that's because of the teams, the managers or whether he contributes I don't know and it is hard to identify which of those factors are the most important, but at some point you have an association with it. So there's that.

Then there's age, I think Casemiro should be the exception not the rule when it comes to 30 year olds. Yes players are going on and on but it's really hard to say which will fall off a cliff so there is inherent risk. He's certainly not improving.

Then there's the fact Harry Kane has had multiple opportunities to get his hands on silverware for club and country and usually plays poorly in those situations. Why should our key man be a guy that does not get over the line? That's why you would sign a superstar, surely. To get the job done. I don't see a leader or winner in him. If you pay Levy a king's ransom for a player with limited time on his contract, colossal wages and offer him a secure contract that takes him into his mid 30s he must be the icing on the cake that delivers silverware and he doesn't inspire confidence in me. If he scores 35 goals and we win sweet feck all it's failure.

daba

If I see one more person bring up Kane’s “injuries” as an issue. He had two seasons between 2018-20 where he played 28 and 29 prem games, which isn’t even THAT bad.

In the other seasons in the last 5 years he’s been hitting 37, 35, 37 game and this year has played every game.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I don’t know, I just don’t see it with Osimhen and Kane’s biscuit ankles at 30 is a massive red flag at the money it would take to get him.
Fair enough it's natural to have doubts about either but itself such a hard position to find decent players in and no one else comes to mind really.

Laurencio

Who? City got Haaland, PSG has Mbappe, Liverpool got Núñez. Moukoko has potential, Kvaratskhelia has potential and Adeyemi has potential, but none of them are ready.

The best of the rest Vlahovic, David and Osimhen have weaknesses that cause them to be outside that top bracket with Kane, Haaland and Mbappe.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
In terms of who suits the team more, it depends on what qualities you think ETH would prioritise in his CF.

Greater box presence, aerial threat, physicality and pressing vs ability on the ball, creating for others and being more involved in general play.

I would suggest the former is more likely given the profile of CF ETH has favoured for most of his career (Haller, Huntelaar, Dolberg, Lassina, Brobbey) and has been linked with here (Nunez, Sesko, Arnautovic, Weghorst).

And it seems to me what we most need in our current team is actual threat in the box (which we've lacked all season) and someone for our other players to create for, rather than someone who will be more inclined to drop deep and create for others which has been a lot of Kane's game in recent seasons.

But in truth either are likely workable. And would instantly improve us massively.

Baneofthegame

Depends on the price, if it's both the same I probably take Osimheim due to age and resale value.

JohnnyLaw

I think Osimhen would be more synergize more with the rest of our attackers tilting more toward playmaking than striking.

Rashford is really our only wide forward. Antony Amad and Sancho are better at playmaking so I’d rather have a pure striker like Osimhen than a deep-lying creative one in Kane.

Drizzle

Osimhen makes the long term sense… but Kane is clearly the better player. Get Kane even if it’s for 3 years, they’ll be another Victor Osimhen in that time, believe me.
Thats exactly where I am. Kane is obviously better, more reliable, more experienced, more rounded. He is much less of a risky buy. Its Osimhen's injury record that is more concerning actually.

In 2 - 3 years, after a trophy or three, we can pick up the next hot young prospect.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Long-term trumps short term and we've had enough short-term forwards for my liking.

Primex

Osimhen seems to be incredibly overlooked and underrated here.
Apart from Haaland name a better young CF, osimhen has proved himself where ever he went adapting won't be an issue