Osimhen v Kane

Well...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
If we sign Kane, Ten Hag has to win the PL or CL within 2 seasons. No excuses.

You sign players over the age of 30 with a 3 year time frame in mind - and when you make one for the sort of financial commitment Kane would take, you have to win immediately.
Doesn't matter who he signs, no PL in next 2 years he's more than likely looking for a new job anyway

jackal&hyde

I think we need to make the most out of players like Varane and Casemiro for the next 3 or so years and so Kane would be the ideal candidate IMO. Osimhen could be fantastic, but he could also be a big, big risk given the money and the hit and miss nature of strikers from the Serie A.

So get Kane and spend 3 or so years to identify the next forward.

Ollie Derbyshire

I’d take Kane, we need to win a title in the next 2yrs with the squad we are building and to get the monkey off or back. Kane would help with that more than anyone else we can get right now.

Mainoldo

I’d take Kane, we need to win a title in the next 2yrs with the squad we are building and to get the monkey off or back. Kane would help with that more than anyone else we can get right now.
Known this is the type of energy I need.

People want a 24 year old so that we have 6 years to try and win a league. That’s not how it works.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Antony is sufficiently fast he just doesn’t use it which is his problem. He had the young Crystal Palace player going full pelt to stay with him and Antony was dribbling. Dribbling… not kicking and running.

Antony has a real issue with his overall impact and directness. Which I questioned before we got him. What I didn’t realise was how fast he actually is.

As for Kane he’s done well for two years with Son being his pacey outlet. I don’t think it will matter with a player Just on the left offering that to us. Remember who are manager is. He’ll make it work.
Substitute Weghorst with Kane today and our attack has the exact same level of dynamism. Kane, like Weghorst, will come in and ‘have some nice touches’ just like I’ve been reading in Weghorst’s thread - however, it’s simply not enough. This one plan of trying to release Rashford won’t cut it at the top. If we are stuck with a striker with the level of dynamism we saw today all of next season it will be a problem.

Ricardo de la Vega

Kane is a dead cert though as much as any player can be. You know you are going to get at least three years out of him hitting the net on a very regular basis.
Yep agree with that; Osimen is high risk - possible long term reward. Kane is pretty low risk high reward - but over a shorter time frame.

Mainoldo

Substitute Weghorst with Kane today and our attack has the exact same level of dynamism. Kane, like Weghorst, will come in and ‘have some nice touches’ just like I’ve been reading in Weghorst’s thread - however, it’s simply not enough. This one plan of trying to release Rashford won’t cut it at the top. If we are stuck with a striker with the level of dynamism we saw today all of next season it will be a problem.
Bro just look at a Harry Kane goal compilation. There’s levels to this.

We could have had Lewandoski upfront I’d be confident he would have scored today and he isn’t faster than Kane.

The problem is not pace my friend. It’s quality.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Bro just look at a Harry Kane goal compilation. There’s levels to this.

We could have had Lewandoski upfront I’d be confident he would have scored today and he isn’t faster than Kane.

The problem is not pace my friend. It’s quality.
I’ve seen Kane have many games like Wout today.

You can have quality in football, but you need to earn the right to demonstrate that quality. It’s harder to earn the right in tougher games like today. If our opponents lay down and the game is played in their final third, we would see better of Weghorst than we did today. But when the issue needs to be forced, Kane isn’t going to force it. If we establish control over Arsenal, then Kane can be great. But how does he even get himself into a game like today?

Mainoldo

I’ve seen Kane have many games like Wout today.

You can have quality in football, but you need to earn the right to demonstrate that quality. It’s harder to earn the right in tougher games like today. If our opponents lay down and the game is played in their final third, we would see better of Weghorst than we did today. But when the issue needs to be forced, Kane isn’t going to force it. If we establish control over Arsenal, then Kane can be great. But how does he even get himself into a game like today?
You Impose yourself more on the opposition like you say. Is that not the aim though? Get a De Jong and better productivity from RW then it works.

It’s like people think Oshimen is Thierry Henry. His pace does nothing different. They say he’s good in the air. So what chance would Osimhen have created or finished that Kane wouldn’t have in this type of game.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You Impose yourself more on the opposition like you say. Is that not the aim though? Get a De Jong and better productivity from RW then it works.

It’s like people think Oshimen is Thierry Henry. His pace does nothing different. They say he’s good in the air. So what chance would Osimhen have created or finished that Kane wouldn’t have in this type of game.
What sort of a question is that? Are you expecting me to tell you an exact imaginary chance Osimhen would have created? The point is, he would have provided a different type of threat. He wouldn’t have been a striker that required us to have complete territorial possession to bring him into the game. A lose touch from an Arsenal player anywhere within 50 yards of their goal presents an opportunity for him to be put through within two seconds. Even a non perfect pass where you would fancy him to outrun and outmuscle his man. Other random phases of possession where you can play a certain type of pass that is threatening for him, whereas Kane or Weghorst requires us to string a certain amount of passes together to where we can present him with the ball at his feet within the 18 yard box, which is always going to be hard to do against Arsenal.

Osimhen is far from perfect, and I’m not here to advocate for him specifically. But I would like to point out that I don’t see Kane as ‘perfect’ for us this board is making out. For a team like City, that dominates possession and creates him loads of chances - yes. It was said a number of times last year that Kane would probably suit them and Haaland suit us. I would echo that. Haaland isn’t much a footballer. He doesn’t fit into City’s general play, Kane would do. A Haaland is probably more useful to us than a Kane. Personally, I would prefer something in between. I think a Benzema or a Felix for example, at least have some level of mobility. Kane and Weghorst look as if they can barely move and I can see that being a problem here. I mean, I am literally seeing it being a problem here. If Weghorst could finish or play passes like Kane, I’m not sure it would have made us much better. Not unless we had established control.

Sesko looks the perceived profile, only he is unfortunately probably a couple of years away from being ready. But he has size, touch, strength and is also a threat in behind.

Mainoldo

What sort of a question is that? Are you expecting me to tell you an exact imaginary chance Osimhen would have created? The point is, he would have provided a different type of threat. He wouldn’t have been a striker that required us to have complete territorial possession to bring him into the game. A lose touch from an Arsenal player anywhere within 50 yards of their goal presents an opportunity for him to be put through within two seconds. Even a non perfect pass where you would fancy him to outrun and outmuscle his man. Other random phases of possession where you can play a certain type of pass that is threatening for him, whereas Kane or Weghorst requires us to string a certain amount of passes together to where we can present him with the ball at his feet within the 18 yard box, which is always going to be hard to do against Arsenal.

Osimhen is far from perfect, and I’m not here to advocate for him specifically. But I would like to point out that I don’t see Kane as ‘perfect’ for us this board is making out. For a team like City, that dominates possession and creates him loads of chances - yes. It was said a number of times last year that Kane would probably suit them and Haaland suit us. I would echo that. Haaland isn’t much a footballer. He doesn’t fit into City’s general play, Kane would do. A Haaland is probably more useful to us than a Kane. Personally, I would prefer something in between. I think a Benzema or a Felix for example, at least have some level of mobility. Kane and Weghorst look as if they can barely move and I can see that being a problem here. I mean, I am literally seeing it being a problem here. If Weghorst could finish or play passes like Kane, I’m not sure it would have made us much better. Not unless we had established control.

Sesko looks the perceived profile, only he is unfortunately probably a couple of years away from being ready. But he has size, touch, strength and is also a threat in behind.
Bro we had Lukaku for two season and everytime we played Spurs Kane made him look like a baby.

I don’t care about chasing on to lose touches this isn’t Sunday league the big teams don’t give you those moments.

What loose touches did Haaland get on to against us? My original point was we need quality. Harry Kane is top 3 strikers in the world. Osimhen isn’t and he’s not going to be the next Thierry Henry. If we want a guy to run down loose touches let’s just get Watkins from Villa to bring off the bench when we require something different.

But to win the big trophies I want Kane. Not the next internet hype striker.

I don’t get why so much people want standard technically gifted strikers with high work rate for ETH. Where in his Ajax team has he proven he likes this?

Dazzmondo

Never thought I'd see someone suggest that Kane and Weghorst are basically the same striker

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Never thought I'd see someone suggest that Kane and Weghorst are basically the same striker
Well you shouldn’t be surprised to see someone suggest that they have similar levels of dynamism.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Bro we had Lukaku for two season and everytime we played Spurs Kane made him look like a baby.

I don’t care about chasing on to lose touches this isn’t Sunday league the big teams don’t give you those moments.

What loose touches did Haaland get on to against us? My original point was we need quality. Harry Kane is top 3 strikers in the world. Osimhen isn’t and he’s not going to be the next Thierry Henry. If we want a guy to run down loose touches let’s just get Watkins from Villa to bring off the bench when we require something different.

But to win the big trophies I want Kane. Not the next internet hype striker.

I don’t get why so much people want standard technically gifted strikers with high work rate for ETH. Where in his Ajax team has he proven he likes this?
Kane has barely had a good game against us, except when we are terrible. He’s anonymous.

And I’m not talking about Kane getting on to a lose touch, I’m taking about Fred getting on to one and then playing it to Bruno who instantly plays our forward in. That forward won’t be Weghorst, and it won’t be Kane. He’ll just have to turn back (Bruno) and play it sideways so that we can get more men forward to support Kane and build up as a unit. Which is fine if we were particularly good at that, but we aren’t.

And I’ve told you I want mobility. Not ‘I want Osimhen’. I want a striker who can move. Osimhen or other. The whole team has to get up the pitch and play good stuff for Kane to be very good. We will do that at times, and he’ll do well those times. But we won’t at Anfield. And he’ll do feck all at Anfield, as per usual, because Spurs struggle to do that at Anfield.

Mainoldo

Kane has barely had a good game against us, except when we are terrible. He’s anonymous.

And I’m not talking about Kane getting on to a lose touch, I’m taking about Fred getting on to one and then playing it to Bruno who instantly plays our forward in. That forward won’t be Weghorst, and it won’t be Kane. He’ll just have to turn back (Bruno) and play it sideways so that we can get more men forward to support Kane and build up as a unit. Which is fine if we were particularly good at that, but we aren’t.

And I’ve told you I want mobility. Not ‘I want Osimhen’. I want a striker who can move. Osimhen or other. The whole team has to get up the pitch and play good stuff for Kane to be very good. We will do that at times, and he’ll do well those times. But we won’t at Anfield. And he’ll do feck all at Anfield, as per usual, because Spurs struggle to do that at Anfield.
You are talking about counter attacking football so I get you. But like we said above the aim is not to play that way in the future. In the future when Bruno turns he has 4 options around him and maybe if it’s a better player than Bruno we utilise those options better. I heard we have been looking at Dani Olmo.
Arsenal are a good example of the type of profile we should be looking for.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You are talking about counter attacking football so I get you. But like we said above the aim is not to play that way in the future. In the future when Bruno turns he has 4 options around him and maybe if it’s a better player than Bruno we utilise those options better. I heard we have been looking at Dani Olmo.
Arsenal are a good example of the type of profile we should be looking for.
I think we need to do a mixture of counter attacking football and dominant football. As it stands, we can do dominant football against certain teams, and I expect Kane to fill his boots in these games. But we can’t do it against the best, and I think we hurt them with quick transitions. We’d be predictably looking for Rashford only. I don’t think we need a super rapid striker, but I think Kane’s lack of mobility is alarming. And behind the broad numbers, I think there are concerns when I actually watch Kane play. He has too many non-existent games against good sides. For Spurs and England. He’s easy for top teams and defenders to defend against. Before we played Spurs, we were in good form and I said on here that Kane will do nothing all game, which is exactly what happened, and what has happened for years whenever we meet Spurs and we’re in form.

Dazzmondo

I think we need to do a mixture of counter attacking football and dominant football. As it stands, we can do dominant football against certain teams, and I expect Kane to fill his boots in these games. But we can’t do it against the best, and I think we hurt them with quick transitions. We’d be predictably looking for Rashford only. I don’t think we need a super rapid striker, but I think Kane’s lack of mobility is alarming. And behind the broad numbers, I think there are concerns when I actually watch Kane play. He has too many non-existent games against good sides. For Spurs and England. He’s easy for top teams and defenders to defend against. Before we played Spurs, we were in good form and I said on here that Kane will do nothing all game, which is exactly what happened, and what has happened for years whenever we meet Spurs and we’re in form.
He's scored against all of Chelsea, Arsenal, Newcastle and Liverpool this season. You're trying to manufacture an argument based on nothing. Kane's very obviously a world class striker and he's had an excellent season despite being in a very poor Spurs team, scoring against both average and top teams. He's consistently scored against top teams throughout his career. In fact he's scored against every PL team he's ever faced.

BlueHaze

Only here will people argue against the signing of Kane. We would be lucky if we got him. What does this team lack? GOALS! Look at our goal difference!!! People on this forum say newcastle are so high up the table because "they refuse to play football"

They have a far superior GD to us!! What does that make us then? :lol:

BlueHaze

Scored the same exact amount of goals as Brentford. It's not good enough. We are desperate for more goals. Only reliable scorer at the minute is Rashford. I kept saying the whole summer move on Martial and go find a replacement. We signed Antony and he is having a tough time and barely contributing anything in terms of numbers and Jadon been out so long.

Our attack needs more goals in them it's as simple as that. You can never win the league with the type of attack we have these days. Only one guy is doing anything!!

Kane as the Striker with Rashford on the left and Jadon on right could be very exciting attacking lineup.

croadyman

I think we need to make the most out of players like Varane and Casemiro for the next 3 or so years and so Kane would be the ideal candidate IMO. Osimhen could be fantastic, but he could also be a big, big risk given the money and the hit and miss nature of strikers from the Serie A.

So get Kane and spend 3 or so years to identify the next forward.
I totally agree but I'm sure the Osimhen supporters will say don't worry he will hit the ground running so can make the most out of Rapha & Casa anyway

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The officially best player in the planet moves like Maguire had Martinez hanging on each of his foot.

Last edited:

jackal&hyde

I totally agree but I'm sure the Osimhen supporters will say don't worry he will hit the ground running so can make the most out of Rapha & Casa anyway
Yeah I guess you never know. I value Casemiro and Varane so much that I think we should make the most of that.

Ole'sattheWheel

Kane does it week in week out in the PL. Our key players are in their prime years and we need to win the prem asap. Once we're back to winning ways we can sign whoever the feck we want and start taking punts on these more risky players

mctrials23

Signing Kane for massive money due to trying to push for a title doesn't make sense.

Competition at the moment is ridiculous in the PL. Next season we could have City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal & ourselves going for the title, all with fantastic squads and managers. Liverpool lost a league title on 99 points. Nothing is certain.

We could find ourselves in 3 years time having to replace Casemiro, Kane, Varane and Eriksen all at roughly the same time. To replace them with similar quality would cost us £300m+. Its an awful idea. You don't want the spine of your squad ageing out at the same time.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Even if there is 25m difference cost in transfer fees, Osimhen is still cheaper due to my expectation is that Kane will ask minimum 350k p.w salary while I think Osimhen will accept 200k pw or max 250k p.w. Beside, if we want to stick with making players on that 200k p.w wages or something then Osimhen is more realistic to accept the wages offer than Kane.

Honestly, I actually think Osimhen is more exciting signing, which is weird considering that Kane is proven top striker in PL. Probably because I love striker with great movement and aggressive. I haven’t watch Osimhen but based on YouTube, he has similarity with Cavani is he? Technically not that great and looks about equal, has great movement and incredible work rate to press, good in the air and an aggressive striker. Osimhen is like Cavani with Dan James speed

Teja

A front 4 consisting of Kane, Bruno and Antony has nowhere enough dynamism for me. There will be games where we roll teams over, but not enough variety in it for me and somewhat one-paced. Rashford gives us one outlet, which I think is a bit predictable and easier to defend. I don’t think we are even nearly a good enough team in possession to be a team that doesn’t rely on speed in attack. For me, that only works if you can play like Barcelona/Spain, City etc. a team that struggles to pass and move at speed need runners to release.
I think Rashford / Kane will basically be as good as Son / Kane. In fact Kane actually really played well with both Alli and Son. Bruno has the same attributes as Alli where he ghosts into space, scores goals etc.

footballbite

Ademola Lookman is 2nd top scorer in Serie A ffs. And Lautaro Martinez is 3rd top scorer. It's a poor league.

That's what makes me wary of signing Osimhen.

Mcking

Known this is the type of energy I need.

People want a 24 year old so that we have 6 years to try and win a league. That’s not how it works.
And probably plenty of excuses for him along the way too while we all wait. With Kane, we will know exactly when we need to replace him with a new striker.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
And probably plenty of excuses for him along the way too while we all wait. With Kane, we will know exactly when we need to replace him with a new striker.
And we will almost certainly do it at least 18 months after that point.

estel_manutd

I do not think we need to sign a striker anymore. Our money is better spent on a backup for Casemiro.

UpWithRivers

Its all down to money. Kane has 1 year left on his contract, 30 in summer and playing for Tottenham that might not make top 4. So 80/90 mill? Oshimen is 24, looks like they will win the league and Napoli won't sell cheap. So what? 120-150?

I'd rather get Kane and use the 40 plus mill on someone else. Probably get Sabitzer if he does well for the extra. So Kane + Sabitzer or Oshimen?

Amarsdd

Signing Kane for massive money due to trying to push for a title doesn't make sense.

Competition at the moment is ridiculous in the PL. Next season we could have City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal & ourselves going for the title, all with fantastic squads and managers. Liverpool lost a league title on 99 points. Nothing is certain.

We could find ourselves in 3 years time having to replace Casemiro, Kane, Varane and Eriksen all at roughly the same time. To replace them with similar quality would cost us £300m+. Its an awful idea. You don't want the spine of your squad ageing out at the same time.
Next year seems to be the best time to go for it. City not looking the best, Liverpool going through a bit of transition and needling to overhaul the midfield, Chelsea with all the new players and Potter needing time to settle, Newcastle still little too early, not sure what to think about Arsenal. You wanna give them 1-2 more years to fix their issues or get back up there? Why not, when we have Casemiro, Varane, Eriksen etc in their prime to use their prime and add someone like Kane in their prime to challenge before 2-3 of the teams we expect to be up there getting their act together.

Abraxas

Its all down to money. Kane has 1 year left on his contract, 30 in summer and playing for Tottenham that might not make top 4. So 80/90 mill? Oshimen is 24, looks like they will win the league and Napoli won't sell cheap. So what? 120-150?

I'd rather get Kane and use the 40 plus mill on someone else. Probably get Sabitzer if he does well for the extra. So Kane + Sabitzer or Oshimen?
But I think as has been pointed out, we should probably expect that Kane would be one of the top earners in the league and Osimhen possibly not. As a total cost of buying the player it might only be a saving in the short term on Kane. It also depends on how you can structure the deal and which of those clubs might be more forthcoming.

Then there is age and being aware of key players in our squad. Everyone over 30 you do have to be aware of the squad turnover and we would have a spine we would need to be very aware of their level and when they need replacing. It could possibly mean reinvesting in the striker position quicker when we have aging legs in there.

A lot of considerations beyond initial fee in my opinion.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
With Kane we can win the whole f'ing thing next year. We haven't been this close to having a title winning team in years, so we have to strike while the iron is hot; we can't take fro granted that we will have this good of a squad in 4-5 years time. I also think that City and Liverpool will be a bit down from previous heights, arsenal will be about the same and Chelsea will probably still be a mess. Moreover, Cass, Bruno and Varane don't have time to wait.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Osimhen makes the long term sense… but Kane is clearly the better player. Get Kane even if it’s for 3 years, they’ll be another Victor Osimhen in that time, believe me.
THIS. Go get the sure thing in Kane while Cass, Varane and Bruno are still in their prime and find another Osimhen in 3 years.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Next year seems to be the best time to go for it. City not looking the best, Liverpool going through a bit of transition and needling to overhaul the midfield, Chelsea with all the new players and Potter needing time to settle, Newcastle still little too early, not sure what to think about Arsenal. You wanna give them 1-2 more years to fix their issues or get back up there? Why not, when we have Casemiro, Varane, Eriksen etc in their prime to use their prime and add someone like Kane in their prime to challenge before 2-3 of the teams we expect to be up there getting their act together.
The point is that you can't bank on any one year being the year you win the league, because the competition is too intense.

Whether we sign Kane, Osimhen or anyone else, the aim has to be to put us in position to compete for the title over multiple coming seasons, as that's the only way to put yourself in a good position to win it even once. If any signing involves hanging our hat on winning it next year specifically then that's a bad signing.

Liverpool are a case in point. Over five(?) seasons with players at their peak they were really competitive in three of them. And of those three seasons they won the PL just once. That's the reality facing us in terms of how difficult it is to compete in this league and against City particularly. It's simply a nonsense to say "with X player we'll win the league next season", as if signing one particular player makes it some sure thing, or even more likely than not. It wouldn't be at all, regardless of who we sign.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
And we will almost certainly do it at least 18 months after that point.
Hah. That’s part of my issue with a proposed Kane move too. Outside of the tactical issues (most of which I am in agreement with you on — I like the potential attacking dynamic in a front 4 including Kane, Bruno + one of current our right wingers), another big issue I see is the protection he would have in terms of status would be too much.