OT EVACUATED | Device signed as having been recovered, could NOT be detected by sniffer dogs

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
That person would know they were fake.
still leaves room for a mix up or a cock up, which is exactly what happened on sunday. there is plenty of scope to call
the club incompetent or shite, not sure sunday was one. airports get evacuated on the reg for suspect packages.

Ixion

That prop is pretty big, how hard is it to count 13 of them FFS. They sound like a bunch of cowboys. They obviously didnt note down anywhere how many they had placed down or where and at the end of the day just tried to go off memory where they put them down and retrieved them. Amatuers.

SammyUnited_83

WE will now, but honestly can you really imagine having a "Fake Bomb Removal Checker" on staff prior to Sunday's game? I bet no such position exists on any stadium staff anyplace in the world.
I'm sure we have stadium security manager, not blaming him / her, but their job should include knowing exactly what was happening that day, what the devices looked like and where they were going - it's basic shit.

If you owned a company wouldn't you want to inform staff / your managers that there are going to be fake bombs planted around? Especially a company that deals with 1000s of the public and the dangers that this could lead to if not dealt with properly.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Really! Well if that's true then it can only have been a real bomb threat. Maybe that's why Sky's commentators were "patted down" as they entered OT. They did say that it had never happened before. Maybe OT got a "warning" of a bomb before the match but they have chosen to pretend otherwise.

(Sorry if all this has been said, I haven't read all the thread).
What?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
'Look, I'll be honest, they didn't need to evacuate the stadium. It was an inanimate device'.

Yes, but who else would know?

Reading the full link, the head of the security outfit admits he counted the devices in, but as he also had a similar one with him, he counted that one as the missing one!
What a genius! Bloody hell!

JustAFan

I'm sure we have stadium security manager, not blaming him / her, but their job should include knowing exactly what was happening that day, what the devices looked like and where they were going - it's basic shit.

If you owned a company wouldn't you want to inform staff / your managers that there are going to be fake bombs planted around? Especially a company that deals with 1000s of the public and the dangers that this could lead to if not dealt with properly.
So now this test took place with nobody at all being told about it? Where did that come from?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Seems obvious doesn't it.
Let key security people, ie the people who I expect any huge call like calling the game off have to be made through, know such a thing has happened, and they can view a pic of the device and say
"don't worry, the idiots doing testing in midweek have missed one"

GloryHunter07

I am sorry but this is bull. If they had a training exercise on the Wednesday and knew of the devices and knew where they were being planted, you would have thought one of the bright minds running OT would have come up with the conclusion it could have been a error?

And from its discovery, right through to the evacuation of the stadium, no one would have thought to call the security firm to confirm?
So you rather the club takes the risk on thousands of lives because it "could" have been a dud.

Perspective needed.

starman

They couldn't take that risk though and rightfully so.

What I don't get is that they knew they were going to hide bombs and didn't think to ask where and double check but I'm sure they will from now on :lol: You can imagine the site manager or whoever joking "don't leave one of those behind eh "

There's plenty of errors that happen because of poor procedures up and down the country to be fair, happens at banks often enough we're just unlucky it's made us look like fecking divs in front of everyone.
What risk? call the security company that was there 4 days earlier planting fake bombs around the stadium :lol:

SammyUnited_83

still leaves room for a mix up or a cock up, which is exactly what happened on sunday. there is plenty of scope to call
the club incompetent or shite, not sure sunday was one. airports get evacuated on the reg for suspect packages.
I can't see how hard it can be to send someone from the club round to check they had taken everything they needed to. It's common sense.

It's not hindsight, it's not because this have never happened before, it's negligence from the club.

JustAFan

Reading the full link, the head of the security outfit admits he counted the devices in, but as he also had a similar one with him, he counted that one as the missing one!
What a genius! Bloody hell!
Yup. a dumb move, to not consider the one you are carrying around as part of the initial inventory thus preventing it being counted as one of the devices being used in testing.

redindian1987

Synchronized couples' skate to Losing My Religion
Cannot believe people are still saying that we're to blame.

I've worked in a manufacturing plant; the sheer size of it meant that it's impossible for everybody to check everything. You just let the security guys do their job. Besides, what's the point of outsourcing something if you're going to monitor every single thing? The club cannot be blamed for assuming that the contractor would be somewhat competent.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
I can't see how hard it can be to send someone from the club round to check they had taken everything they needed to. It's common sense.

It's not hindsight, it's not because this have never happened before, it's negligence from the club.
if i pay a third party to do something for me i sure as feck don't pay another of my own guys to then do half the work for them. do we then pay for a checker checker to check the first check to account for human error?

like i say, beat the club with what stick you like, god knows there are currently shit loads of them, i don't think this is one of them.

NinjaFletch

I've worked in a manufacturing plant; the sheer size of it meant that it's impossible for everybody to check everything. You just let the security guys do their job. Besides, what's the point of outsourcing something if you're going to monitor every single thing? The club cannot be blamed for assuming that the contractor would be somewhat competent.
Because people are morons.

starman

So you rather the club takes the risk on thousands of lives because it "could" have been a dud.

Perspective needed.
I would rather the club, knew the implication of leaving a fake bomb laying about and knew exactly where they are being placed. This does not seem the case, because if it was, the whole thing would have been averted.

SammyUnited_83

So now this test took place with nobody at all being told about it? Where did that come from?
Well obviously no one knew where the devices were placed from the club, otherwise it would have been avoided?

Otherwise your letting a 3rd party company into a major sporting venue, days before a game, planting fake bombs left right and centre and either haven't got the intelligence to ask where there were hidden, taken someone's word that they had been removed or couldn't be arsed to check they had gone.

Rory 7

I don't think people are saying the club are to 'blame'. I think it is fair to say, however, that is hugely embarrassing for a club of our stature.

Ixion

The club is not to blame but our procedures for dealing with external companies like this probably could be better.

I mean, and this is getting quite outlandish and movie scenarioish, but what if someone from this company is a nutjob and actually wanted to plant a bomb in the stadium as part of this training exercise and they get it in and it stays there because we just take their word they've cleared everything up.

GloryHunter07

I would rather the club, knew the implication of leaving a fake bomb laying about and knew exactly where they are being placed. This does not seem the case, because if it was, the whole thing would have been averted.
Thats not what you said though.

SammyUnited_83

if i pay a third party to do something for me i sure as feck don't pay another of my own guys to then do half the work for them. do we then pay for a checker checker to check the first check to account for human error?

like i say, beat the club with what stick you like, god knows there are currently shit loads of them, i don't think this is one of them.
Pay a checker?!

Like a said I'm sure we have a stadium security manager.

It should be pretty obvious that if you have a firm planting bombs in your 'house' you would go round with them to check they have done what they said they have - it's an obvious protocol the club should have in place.

redhoop

Wow - that is bigger than I was imagining. That should have been found - for me (a moron, apparently) I think the club shares a measure of responsibilty in this particular, entirely bizarre, scenario. What a mad season it has been.

SammyUnited_83

The club is not to blame but our procedures for dealing with external companies like this probably could be better.

I mean, and this is getting quite outlandish and movie scenarioish, but what if someone from this company is a nutjob and actually wanted to plant a bomb in the stadium as part of this training exercise and they get it in and it stays there because we just take their word they've cleared everything up.
Nail on head.

In a world where terrorists trained to fly a commercial airliner, it's complete negligence to let a company in planting fake bombs with seemingly no supervision from the club, at very least someone should have known where these were.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
you might think of it as a joke as in 'yea you can use the stadium as long as you don't leaves a bomb behind' but you would never consider it a realistic possibility.
True, I probably wouldn't have thought their mistake would be quite this basic. I would definitely have thought some sort of feck up could happen though. More likely a member of staff or the public stumbling upon a device without knowing what was going on or something.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Pay a checker?!

Like a said I'm sure we have a stadium security manager.

It should be pretty obvious that if you have a firm planting bombs in your 'house' you would go round with them to check they have done what they said they have - it's an obvious protocol the club should have in place.
Ah yes, that obvious protocol with staging bomb disposal operations in one of the worlds biggest football stadiums. How can the club have been so blind, we have a lot more knowledge on this subject.

JustAFan

What risk? call the security company that was there 4 days earlier planting fake bombs around the stadium :lol:
And on the off chance it wasn't what happens if you have done nothing and it happens to be a real bomb? Very easy now to say it should have been treated as a fake all along. The reality is that in our current world situation, you just can't operate that way.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
'Look, I'll be honest, they didn't need to evacuate the stadium. It was an inanimate device'.

Yes, but who else would know?

He looks like he's posing for a Daily Mail photo shoot accompanying a story about a man dissatisfied with his shop bought 'fake bomb'.

Smores

And they say well we counted them all in but it does look like one of ours. You saying the club/police then take the risk? Maybe but I think they'd do a controlled explosion anyway.

We made some mistakes prior obviously but the handling of it after was top notch.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
My local boys Wycombe called a game off 20mins before a game once, as the pitch was frozen, and they hadn't bothered to put the undersoil heating on. It was alright though, as the opposition were only from...Fleetwood, a cheeky 6hours away by coach!!
That was embarrassing.

But this behaviour from the security firm redefines security! I doubt that guy's firm will do much business any time soon, or again!

redindian1987

I don't think people are saying the club are to 'blame'. I think it is fair to say, however, that is hugely embarrassing for a club of our stature.
The embarrassment should be for the person who made the mistake. I think we did the right thing once the device was discovered. It seems like people are projecting their frustrations onto every event concerning the club, that's not fair.

At the end of the day, nobody got hurt. It's good that the incompetence is highlighted during such an event as opposed to a real attack.

Spoony

The People's President
That bloke who sat down on the john must've literally completed crapped himself when he saw the device.

But yeah the club and the fake bomb squad Co...were both at fault.

redindian1987

Nail on head.

In a world where terrorists trained to fly a commercial airliner, it's complete negligence to let a company in planting fake bombs with seemingly no supervision from the club, at very least someone should have known where these were.
Then why would you spend millions on engaging a security "expert"? Any company engages outsiders because they have better resources and expertise. If the club is going to engage a contractor to provide security, and keep monitoring every little aspect of it, they probably should not have outsourced the activity in the first place. They could have done it themselves.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Then why would you spend millions on engaging a security "expert"? Any company engages outsiders because they have better resources and expertise. If the club is going to engage a contractor to provide security, and keep monitoring every little aspect of it, they probably should not have outsourced the activity in the first place. They could have done it themselves.
Exactly. People who are like "the club should have checked" need to realise we literally hired our security out to a team of "experts" who then reported to us that they had recovered everything. We did everything by the book as we were supposed to.

SammyUnited_83

Ah yes, that obvious protocol with staging bomb disposal operations in one of the worlds biggest football stadiums. How can the club have been so blind, we have a lot more knowledge on this subject.
D
I think your missing my point.

Yes I can completely see why you would hire someone for their expertise. But this wasn't a training course in some empty warehouse, they were placing fake bombs around the stadium days before an event. You simply can't rely on a signed bit of paper, the worrying thing for me is, we obviously didn't request key information from this firm. If we can't agree on Utd sending someone round to check, surely you can see my point that at the very least we should have had a plan to where these guys were planting these fecking things.

IF we didn't have that information (and it appear we didn't) then in my opinion we are fecking idiots.

dogrob

Just Watching The Wheels Go Round And Round
Personally I feel that the club does have to take some blame surely after such an exercise there needs to be checks that everything is back to being as it should. On the other hand the evacuation and the actions of the authorities afterwards was top notch plus what will come out of this is that the checks leading up to games will become better as well as the checks taken by the club and contractor after such another exercise.

acrebo

Agreed. I can't understand people's views in this thread - maybe lots of people in here have never dealt with contractors in their own employment.

Protocol will have been followed to ensure that the 'expert' security firm signed in / out the devices. I highly suspect our own security (again, I think we outsource this) would have given them a detailed briefing as to what they could / couldn't do on site and what was expected of them. The 'expert' security firm were clearly lazy / sloppy and messed up their job.

I'm not sure how our employees, in whatever level of expertise they might carry in this sort of thing, could have possibly known to effectively do the 'experts' jobs for them.

Surprised how bitter the MD of the firm sounds, like it wasn't his company's fault!