Other Wingers?

MadMike

First off, half the players listed in here are not real wingers. Most of them play on the opposite side to their good foot and thus rarely race down the touch line to whip in a cross.

Secondly, I'm not even convinced that what we need is an old school winger.

There's a reason not many are coming through and those that could play as such don't any more (see Ronaldo, Bale, Sanchez etc. who all started as classic wingers but now play as inside forwards)

The role of providing width has been passed from wingers to fullbacks/wingbacks. So instead of looking for a unicorn (a top class player both capable and willing to play as traditional winger) we need to get on with the times and purchase a LB/LWB capable of doing that.

If it means changing the system to a 3-4-3/3-5-2 to accommodate two attacking wing backs, so be it. We have like 7 CBs so it's not exactly a problem.

Go get someone like Mendy or Bertrand or such and just give them freedom to roam like with Tony V on the other side.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
First off, half the players listed in here are not real wingers. Most of them play on the opposite side to their good foot and thus rarely race down the touch line to whip in a cross.

Secondly, I'm not even convinced that what we need is an old school winger.

There's a reason not many are coming through and those that could play as such don't any more (see Ronaldo, Bale, Sanchez etc. who all started as classic wingers but now play as inside forwards)

The role of providing width has been passed from wingers to fullbacks/wingbacks. So instead of looking for a unicorn (a top class player both capable and willing to play as traditional winger) we need to get on with the times and purchase a LB/LWB capable of doing that.

If it means changing the system to a 3-4-3/3-5-2 to accommodate two attacking wing backs, so be it. We have like 7 CBs so it's not exactly a problem.

Go get someone like Mendy or Bertrand or such and just give them freedom to roam like with Tony V on the other side.
He was probably going to use Perisic in that wingback role as he can defend, but can attack as well. Darmian is not a wingback, Rojo is not a wingback. Shaw could be, but it is keeping him fit.

MadMike

If it's really a crossing issue, I'd rather we replace Shaw with Mendy than Martial with Perisic.
He was probably going to use Perisic in that wingback role as he can defend, but can attack as well. Darmian is not a wingback, Rojo is not a wingback. Shaw could be, but it is keeping him fit.
The answer is above. Get Mendy.

Also, buying a 28yo that has never played as a wingback for £50m and then trying him out as such is madness. I don't believe Jose is mad. What if he's shit at defending? Running around a lot and having stamina is not being good at defending.

What I believe he was planning to do is play with a natural winger on the left (Perisic) and a defensive fullback behind him, while having an inside forward/ playmaker on the right (Mkhi/Mata) and an attacking wing back overlapping him (Valencia).

Although obviously it's all speculation.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Ditto Lemar is going to become a really special player. Very different to Perisic, but I could see him excelling at United.
He's just excellent and I'd love us to sign him but then I'm not sure if Jose thinks he's to similar to what we already have

VanGaalyTime

Players who created more chances from crosses and completed more dribbles than Perisic last season:

Felipe Anderson, Lucas Moura, Fekir, Vela, Trejo, Neymar, Forsberg, Lemar, Boubedouz, Candreva, Alejandro Gomez.

One of them, perhaps.
Forsberg, Andersen, and Lemar are the standout players here. (Aside from Neymar who is unaffordable) Each one of these is attainable for 60m and would be a FAR FAR FAR FAR better option than Perisic.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
For reasons I can only attribute to gut feeling, I've always thought Oxlade-Chamberlain is a player who would do really well for us.

Unlikely Arsenal would sell him to us mind despite the rumours he's been looking to leave this summer.

OohAahMartial

We should have gone for Mendy and Lemar from the start. As it is we can still go for Tierney and Lemar. Don't think Sanchez or Bale are for sale.

Most of the suggested wingers are right sided and it is for the left side that Perisic is being bought for. Jose already bought Mhki for the right and he won't give up on him yet. But for the right Dembele is clearly the best option. I also think that Traore while extremely raw is also quite menacing and with a good coach could become a good player.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
What you quickly realise from this thread is that Perisic is incredibly unique and there are very few better alternatives for what we need. Still really hope the deal goes through, honestly think he would tear it up for us.

Last edited:

prtk0811

We should have contacted brumas entorage to wait till we sign another winger before making any move.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Get Sandro from Juve and use him as LWB.

If we are offering Martial , I would much rather try doing business with Arsenal for Sanchez than average Perisic

Kag

Well, Salah, Douglas Costa and Rodriguez have all moved in recent weeks. Draxler moved in January. Mane moved last summer. I'm not suggesting we should have bought these players (although I really would have bought Mane), but there have been and clearly still are wide players in the market that may have improved our options.

As it stands, you would look to players like Mahrez, Lemar and - yes - Perisic as players that could genuinely offer something slightly different in a wider role for us.

Really, it's up to Mourinho. If we end up in September with our wings in the same situation as they were last season then ultimately the responsibility lies with him. Ditto defensive midfield. There is more to the market than Matic and Dier. Of course, we may be looking at a whole host of different players than those discussed in the media, so we'll have to wait and see.

prtk0811

The answer is above. Get Mendy.

Also, buying a 28yo that has never played as a wingback for £50m and then trying him out as such is madness. I don't believe Jose is mad. What if he's shit at defending? Running around a lot and having stamina is not being good at defending.

What I believe he was planning to do is play with a natural winger on the left (Perisic) and a defensive fullback behind him, while having an inside forward/ playmaker on the right (Mkhi/Mata) and an attacking wing back overlapping him (Valencia).

Although obviously it's all speculation.
Perisic is a work horse and defensivly too very good.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think it sort of depends on whether we set up in a 4-3-3 or with a second striker/number 10 in the 4-2-3-1. If it's the former, the winger needs to be one who can operate more as a wide forward to contribute directly with goals and assists, in the way somebody like Alexis Sanchez or Pedro/Hazard do. If we are playing with a number 10/second-striker type of player, ideally they would be the one who would be alleviating some of the need for the winger to score/assist as much, and you could get away with more of a traditional kick-and-rush the byline winger like Perisic.

doomy20

Monaco wanted how much from Arsenal for Lemar? 80M? Not an option.
All other mentioned names do not suit the profile of a "Mourinho winger", that´s why Perisic is his first choice.

For me it´s either paying Inter what they want or stick with Martial and actually play him A LOT (all this rotating isn´t helping him, imo he needs a strong run and full backup from Jose to reach his desired level)

MrSingh2002

Bernardeschi would be a good signing. I'm sure we were linked during LVGs time.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Thomas Lemar, but I don't think Mourinho will go for him.

RAVred

Don't think a winger is necessary here as most think a dm and fullback that can cross is #1 priority right now.

Most the players listed in this thread are nothing like perisic, which probably shows why we are so interested to buy him. There's no point getting a young inverted winger since we already have that in martial.

I think a winger was the fourth signing that we may not get and Jose was talking about.

Personally hope we get matic and the deal wrapped up.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Don't think a winger is necessary here as most think a dm and fullback that can cross is #1 priority right now.

Most the players listed in this thread are nothing like perisic, which probably shows why we are so interested to buy him. There's no point getting a young inverted winger since we already have that in martial.

I think a winger was the fourth signing that we may not get and Jose was talking about.

Personally hope we get matic and the deal wrapped up.
Think a FB would work, but it would need to be one who can operate as a WB as well, because I think he will utilise 3-5-2 in certain circumstances. We need a modern fullback.

prtk0811

There are no decent wingers in our league in the mould of Valencia?