Our best XI (without Pogba)

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
A Pogbaless Manchester United looks like it may be a reality both in the short term and the long so how should we line up without him and how good would that line up be?

I feel a switch back to Mourinho's 4-2-3-1 would be a cert so i hope something like this is what we'd see

---------------De Gea---------------
Valencia--Smalling--Lindelof--Shaw
-------Herrera-------Matic-------
Lingard-------Sanchez-------Martial
---------------Lukaku---------------

I did think Mata back on the right and Lingard as the number 10 but then we'd still be stuck with Sanchez on the left

R10Football

We should make a thread for our Best XI without Mourinho since we are doing a thread for each.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
A Pogbaless Manchester United looks like it may be a reality both in the short term and the long so how should we line up without him and how good would that line up be?

I feel a switch back to Mourinho's 4-2-3-1 would be a cert so i hope something like this is what we'd see

---------------De Gea---------------
Valencia--Smalling--Lindelof--Shaw
-------Herrera-------Matic-------
Lingard-------Sanchez-------Martial
---------------Lukaku---------------

I did think Mata back on the right and Lingard as the number 10 but then we'd still be stuck with Sanchez on the left
That team will get us nowhere.

Canagel

Seriously? Pogba transforms it that much?
Not so much the players but their positioning as well. Lingard on the right and Sanchez are number 10 is a big no. Valencia is finished. It's missing Fred, Fellaini and Bailey as well.
Maybe this is better:

DDG
Dalot Smalling Bailly Shaw
Periera Fred
Mata Fellaini Martial
Sanchez

Fellaini has to be in the team until someone better arrives. The only time we look like we have a plan is with Fellaini on the pitch so if he starts my thinking is we don't need Lukaku as much and it opens up a space for Sanchez to play uptop like he did for Arsenal.

Last edited:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
De Gea
Dalot - Bailly - Smalling - Shaw
Matic
Fred - Herrera
Sanchez - Lukaku - Martial
Would be my choice.
Although I think Valencia is currently better than Dalot I think Dalot delivers a better cross (from the little I've seen), something we will sorely need with any of our players on the right. Could also change the front 3 to Lukaku - Rashford - Martial. Lukaku is our best crosser from the right, and Rashford is a horrible dribbler but has pace to get behind a defense.

kidbob

As expected it's slightly more depressing than a best 11 with Pogba in it.

Raw

Midfield isn't creative enough, Lindelof needs improving and an actual RW needs to be brought in. If those changes were made and Dalot secures the RB spot to replace Valencia, it's not too bad on paper.

starman

De Gea
Young Smalling Rojo Shaw
Fred Matic
Mata
Rashford Sanchez Martial

Also switch to 4-4-2

De Gea
Young Smalling Rojo Shaw
Fred Matic
Mata Sanchez
Rashford Martial

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
DDG
Young/Valencia - Smalling - Whoever - Shaw
Fred Matic
Pereira Sanchez Rashford
Martial

Pereira to stay more in midfield position and provides support for midfield with Rashford & Martial keep switching role to shuffle the opposition defense.

I'm not a fans of Lukaku, so I'll take him out.

CA_vampire

De Gea
Matic
Fred - Herrera
Sanchez - Lukaku - Martial
Would be my choice.
Although I think Valencia is currently better than Dalot I think Dalot delivers a better cross (from the little I've seen), something we will sorely need with any of our players on the right. Could also change the front 3 to Lukaku - Rashford - Martial. Lukaku is our best crosser from the right, and Rashford is a horrible dribbler but has pace to get behind a defense.
Another possibility:
De Gea
Matic - Fellaini
Fred
Lingard - Lukaku - Sanchez
With Dalot and Shaw contributing to attack, and Fellaini dropping back as 3rd central defender when needed.

We have options. Things are not as terrible as people make them to be.

el3mel

DDG
Dalot - Smalling - Lindelof - Shaw
Matic
Fred - Pereira
Lingard
Lukaku - Sanchez​

Pereira is our only other attacking midfielder so he will need to play. Rest are the same.

the_irish123

To play a midfield 3 without Pogba is extremely stupid. Name me a top team that only attacks with 3 players. Barcelona only do it because they have Messi.

Herrera, Fred, Pereira would be good short term - would be a good technical, press resistant midfield

MrBest

Pereira can play as a right wing, surely better than mata and lingard there.

De Gea
Dalot Bailey Lindeloff Shaw
Pereira Fred Matic Martial
Sanchez Lukaku

442 without pogba is where we should go.

Mcking

To play a midfield 3 without Pogba is extremely stupid. Name me a top team that only attacks with 3 players. Barcelona only do it because they have Messi.
Barcelona do attack with Four. I will name Madrid, Liverpool, Chelsea and Juve to an extent.

Mcking

De gea​
Valencia Smalling Lindelof Shaw​
Matic​
Fellaini Herrera​
Lingard Lukaku Sanchez​
People have to remember that Jose is still the manager and the boss.

Bruno Marques

Supports
Vitória de Setúbal
-----------------DDG--------------------

-------Bailly - Smalling - Lindelof------

-Dalot-----------------------------Shaw

-----------------Matic--------------------

--------Fred-------------Sanchez--------

-----------Lukaku---Rashford-------------

I would like to see something like this

wolvored

Not so much the players but their positioning as well. Lingard on the right and Sanchez are number 10 is a big no. Valencia is finished. It's missing Fred, Fellaini and Bailey as well.
Maybe this is better:

DDG
Dalot Smalling Bailly Shaw
Periera Fred
Mata Fellaini Martial
Sanchez

Fellaini has to be in the team until someone better arrives. The only time we look like we have a plan is with Fellaini on the pitch so if he starts my thinking is we don't need Lukaku as much and it opens up a space for Sanchez to play uptop like he did for Arsenal.
I think Fellaini does better as a sub. He doesnt have the same impact when playing the full game imo

wolvored

How about 4-1-4-1. Make Sanchez play from the right
De Gea
Dalot Smalling Lindelof Shaw
Matic
Sanchez Fred Periera Martial
Rashford

el3mel

-----------------DDG--------------------

-------Bailly - Smalling - Lindelof------

-Dalot-----------------------------Shaw

-----------------Matic--------------------

--------Fred-------------Sanchez--------

-----------Lukaku---Rashford-------------

I would like to see something like this
Put Sanchez and Martial as strikers and Pereira beside Fred and I will love this.

Canagel

I think Fellaini does better as a sub. He doesnt have the same impact when playing the full game imo
True but we never play direct to him when he starts. We try to make him play as this controlling midfielder and he's always too slow for this. Just play to our strengths from the start and think of another plan B. Hoofing to Fellaini as much as we hate it is our biggest strength.

Canagel

De gea
Valencia Smalling Lindelof Shaw
Matic
Fellaini Herrera
Lingard Lukaku Sanchez​
People have to remember that Jose is still the manager and the boss.
I got a better one:
DDG
Valencia -- Smalling -- Jones -- Young
Matic
Fellaini -- McTominay
Herrera
Lingard -- Lukaku

Jose's dream team.​

Last edited:

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
De Gea
Dalot Smalling Lindelof Shaw
Fred Matic
Lingard Sanchez Martial
Lukaku

Fred played in a double pivot at points for Shaktar I believe, and Matic has played one with Kante, so neither would need much time at all to be comfortable in the Role.
As for Sanchez and Lukaku, neither are really doing it for us at the minute, so I would make sure to let them though if they don't up their performance then
Rashford, Pereira, Mata, Martial etc are all comfortable playing in their positions.
Fred will be pretty pivotal, as he is great at breaking the lines which will make us more creative hopefully.
In the next transfer window we still really need that talisman attacker, someone Cantona/Ronaldo/Rooney level.
Players like these mask deficiencies in the squad, whereas some of our forwards at the moment seem to highlight them.

Devil may care

Right now given Sanchez has been awful and Matic is moving like an oil tanker, I'd probably say this is the best, you could interchange Fred for Pereira but I think the latter is a better passer and we'd need that without Pogba in the 11. Truth is though any 11 without Pogba is a mid table team, with him we barely look like a top 4 side at the moment.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Pogba isnt going to play at all? We are going to sell Pogba and not get a replacement?

I would like to think that the board are not so inept to sell Pogba and not get a top midfielder in since he'll fetch a pretty penny.

Mcking

I got a better one:
DDG
Valencia -- Smalling -- Jones -- Young
Matic
Fellaini -- McTominay
Herrera
Lingard -- Lukaku

Jose's dream team.​
An intelligent 442 diamond with tactical discipline and tactical awareness they say.