Our bogey teams over the years

Skills

Snitch
Teams that have proved annoyingly difficult to beat over long patches, even though on paper we should be be beating them :

Blackburn Rovers in the 00s. They were always a pain to play against and always turned up against us for some reason - even before and after Mark Hughes.

06/07 was the first season of the 00s that we actually beat them home and away in the league. They almost gave us a scare in 07/08 run-in if it wasn't for Tevez's last minute equaliser. That wasn't enough for the feckers, as they then went onto cost us the 09/10 title with another draw in the run in. Putting 7 past them the following season was quite sweet and thankfully due to the Venky's we haven't had to see much of them, apart from an annoyingly difficult FA cup tie.

Web of Bissaka

Was it Bolton under Sam Allardyce? Always a tough physical game especially nervy in defending set piece and their organize low block. Having Vidic sort of finally solved this issue :lol: I remember the wrestling moment he had with Kevin Davies(?).

Also if I remember correctly, Moyes' Everton and MCity (before David Silva and the rest joined) were annoying to play against.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Wolves slap us about a bit. Moutinho masterclasses and Neves long shots like every game.

Didn’t we struggle against Koeman sides for a while?

lysglimt

Scout
Norwich in the late 80s without a doubt - from 1988 to 1990, the Canaries beat us 5 times in a row. To my knowledge, the only team to beat Ferguson 5 times in a row.

And to make matters worse - if we look at november 1985 to february 1991 - the stats are 2-3-7

Can7onA

Chelsea I remember back before the Russian millions, Gavin Peacock I think it was, scored every single time we played them it seemed like.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Those first few PL seasons, I remember us having a torrid time away at Wimbledon a few seasons in a row.

Ipswich away was always a bad fixture too around the same time, even the season we twatted them 9-0 they still beat us at Portman Road.

Over the course of the Premier League, I believe Chelsea have the best record against us. Even pre-Abramovich, it seemed like we either stuck 4 or 5 past them, or they shithoused a win.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Derby in the Malcolm Christie days
Middlesbrough under Steve McClaren
Wolves have always been a problem not just recently

Of the big sides Chelsea away obviously

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Bolton Wanderers.
I read once (back in the 90s) that they were the only club with a better win record against us.
The only other side I ever felt was a bogey side for us was Chelsea.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Blackburn 2001-2005. I'm still having therapy for some of the saves Friedel pulled out against us. City, Sunderland and Fulham as well, felt like we never beat them.

Middlesbrough stick out though. Those bastards beat us 3-1 and 4-1 in consecutive seasons, didn't they?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We havent beaten Burnley at Old Trafford since 2015....
Wouldnt say we have one right now other than that though.

PoTMS

Brad Friedel, Mark Schwarzer, Shay Given, Jussi Jaskeleinen. All of the cnuts put in blinders against us. These days, it's fecking Martin Dubravka and Tom Heaton.

Hansa

Chelsea I remember back before the Russian millions, Gavin Peacock I think it was, scored every single time we played them it seemed like.
Yes, we really struggled at home against them. 1965(!), 1987, 1993; those were the last three home league wins of the 20th century vs Chelsea, if I'm not wrong.

West Ham away was a similar story in those days, no wins between 1967 and 1988.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Brad Friedel, Mark Schwarzer, Shay Given, Jussi Jaskeleinen. All of the cnuts put in blinders against us. These days, it's fecking Martin Dubravka and Tom Heaton.
Jurgen Macho as well.

Stacks

I think Chelsea statistically have the most league wins over us. amazingly we are Liverpool's bogey team and no team has beaten Liverpool more than United (I remember seeing this a few years ago so may have changed)

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Fulham in the few years they had Dembele. Used to give us a right tough match at Craven Cottage especially.

Chelsea/Everton have always been the trickiest it feels like.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Can't remember the last time we beat Burnley at OT

freeurmind

weak willed
Friedel was always so good against us I used to think it was worth it signing him to be 2nd choice just so we didnt have to play him.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

This! Friedel & Jussi in their Blackburn & Bolton days in particular. Didn’t help that they always seemed to drop clangers against our rivals.

Was it Tom Heaton a few years ago who gave the performance of his life to get a 0-0 draw with us, then gifted Liverpool a win the week after...

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
West Ham away was a regular dream-shatterer in the early-to-mid 90s. It's not got much better in recent years to be fair.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Watford away has become a shocker for us hasn’t it. 3 losses in 4 I think. That cnut Deeney seems to love scoring against us.

Maticmaker

Spot on, ever since the days of Stan Cullis at Wolves, they have haunted us, thankfully for most of the time between then an now they were not in the top flight, but they are back now seeking the return to glory days as with Cullis.

Ole does appear now to be getting some measure of them, thank goodness!

Bestietom

Robson brought in a few good players for Middlesborough. Juninho, Emerson, Ravenelli.
I remember Juninho who was only 5' 5" scoring 2 goals in Old Trafford to beat us 3-2 in 2004. He was a lovely little player.

lysglimt

Scout
We also had some horrible results against WBA in the late 70s and early 80s - but in fairness they had a really good side back then, whereas - we didn't

But once we got hold of Robson and Atkinson - it changed

pacifictheme

Gavin fecking peacock.

We can have the last laugh though as he has lost his mind.

cyril C

Did we fail to beat City away, even before they splashed new cash?