Our current squad vs Fergie's title winning squads

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I would argue it's fairly better than 2013 and on par with 2011

What do you guys think ?
We haven't got a striker in Van Persie's league, and that makes such a massive difference.

Rilz

Supports
Manchester united
Strikers win championships and we don't have one.

Zen86

This squad has more potential, but Fergie’s last squads were full of experience, which this team obviously lacks.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Not confident Ferguson would have adapted to the need to rack up close to 100 points to win the title?
Well yes but not with the current squad. SAF would have made shrewder signings in the past few seasons to have us at a title winning level already. He would be more equipped to go against Pep's City and Klopp's Liverpool.

Crashoutcassius

a much worse side... ddg arguably worse too? rashford martial greenwood vs rooney rvp and nani... could argue that we have a better midfield if and only if pogba performs, but most games we play fred mctominay and bruno who is tough to argue is the better midfield, maybe on a par. evra rio and vidic were a better defence

SuperiorXI

Well yes but not with the current squad. SAF would have made shrewder signings in the past few seasons to have us at a title winning level already. He would be more equipped to go against Pep's City and Klopp's Liverpool.
It might have taken him a couple years but yes this is exactly what he would have done. SAF shown consistently he could adapt and become better than the opposition and it often led to some amazing teams.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Fergie would win a couple of titles with this lot
Agree. On balance, this is quite a reasonable squad with a number of very good players.
The biggest difference between SAF and other managers is that he had the ability to extract more from each individual and more from the team.
We would have been more organised and more consistent. And most importantly, a stronger winning mentally.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Stronger squad than a few, far weaker first XI than all.

2011 Rooney and 2013 Van Persie would be our best players by a country mile. Bruno is good but hes not a striker and hes not at that level where he can repeatedly win games we shouldn't win all on his own yet. That's the difference.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I see people saying we don't have a striker as good as RVP and that's the difference. Many would argue that Cavani is better than RVP. For me, the difference is that the teams we are competing against are better now than they were then...

Crashoutcassius

I actually dont think i've ever seen such a turn around in fans perceptions of their own players. Amazing that the narrative has gone from years of poor recruitment to stumbling upon the best squad in the league

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Agree. On balance, this is quite a reasonable squad with a number of very good players.
The biggest difference between SAF and other managers is that he had the ability to extract more from each individual and more from the team.
We would have been more organised and more consistent. And most importantly, a stronger winning mentally.
He also made sure he also had a quality striker or two.
first thing he would do here is get a striker in, then he may have won many leagues with these players behind that striker

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I see people saying we don't have a striker as good as RVP and that's the difference. Many would argue that Cavani is better than RVP. For me, the difference is that the teams we are competing against are better now than they were then...
Who would argue that current Cavani is better than 2012/13 van Persie? Name and shame.

paulscholes18

No, world of difference between Rio, Vedic, Evra, Carrick & RVP & Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw, Fred, & Martial

NoneBmStore

Ferguson would have absolutely battered the players for not winning today. He simply would not have allowed it. Hairdryers for every bloody one of them

RUCK4444

Cavani is not better than the RVP we had, we had the absolute peak version of RVP who ripped the league apart when defences were arguably stronger.

We are shockingly wasteful and Cavani won’t be here long, we need a top top striker if we are to kick on from here and really challenge.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Seriously, point them out, I want to see them :lol:
So you don't think that a guy who has scored 262 goals in his career could be rated higher than a guy who scored 204 goals? I know we want to overrate our players. Especially when they played such a huge role in our title winning season. But come on man, it's not that hard to recognize that many outside of United may rate Cavani higher than RVP...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Cavani is not better than the RVP we had, we had the absolute peak version of RVP who ripped the league apart when defences were arguably stronger.

We are shockingly wasteful and Cavani won’t be here long, we need a top top striker if we are to kick on from here and really challenge.
Cavani won't be here long? Unlike RVP who spent how long here???

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Ferguson would have won the treble with our players. Bruno output is at the level of any of United greatest legend. MMM was the deadliest attacking trio in football and our midfield and defense are solid and filled with top talent. If we don't win anything or challenge for the title, Ole will go down as one of our worse managers.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
So you don't think that a guy who has scored 262 goals in his career could be rated higher than a guy who scored 204 goals? I know we want to overrate our players. Especially when they played such a huge role in our title winning season. But come on man, it's not that hard to recognize that many outside of United may rate Cavani higher than RVP...
I'm not sure what their career goal tally has to do with it. We have a 33-years old Cavani in our squad that hasn't even become a proper starter yet (although he has been quite good lately). Van Persie in 12/13 was probably the best player in the league and had one of the highest peaks of any PL strikers ever.

I even specified it before laughing that point out, even though the point of this thread is quite clear.
Who would argue that current Cavani is better than 2012/13 van Persie? Name and shame.
Several people. And if Cavani helps lead us to a title then some of them may actually be United supporters as well

dal

A striker would be beautiful.

Comeon Mason please !!.

RUCK4444

Cavani won't be here long? Unlike RVP who spent how long here???
I’m not drawing comparison to how long each were here, I’m merely pointing out the position needs addressing as Cavani is no spring chicken.

We need a young top level striker. Cavani is a good short term fix.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I'm not sure what their career goal tally has to do with it. We have a 33-years old Cavani in our squad that hasn't even become a proper starter yet (although he has been quite good lately). Van Persie in 12/13 was probably the best player in the league and had one of the highest peaks of any PL strikers ever.

I even specified it before laughing that point out, even though the point of this thread is quite clear.
For the record, I never said that I think he's better...

The No.10!

I think today's match was a testament to why we are not title challengers, or, why I cannot see us winning the title this year. Ability is there for all to see, but any potential title winning team needs to be able to close games such as this. We are poor when it comes to the NEED of defending.

jackal&hyde

Lack of experience (of winning) in the current squad is a massive factor.
This. Also City and Pool have squads that gave them record breaking seasons in terms of points. Last time SAF came across a team that was in a similar league to City and Pool was Chelsea and it took him 3 years to rebuild a team capable of rising to the challenge. It's a massive job trying to catch up to the last 2 champions and we are on the right track imo.

OleBoiii

Just to make one thing clear: it's possible for Fergie to be the best manager of all time while still generally having very good players. With that in mind: fecking hell. No, this team is not as good as any of Fergie's title winning teams.

It's hard to compare player for player, but the following players from the 2012-2013 team would walk straight into the starting XI now:

DDG(2013 version, as that was his first top class season)
Vidic
Evra
Rafael(based on performance, rather than status)
Carrick
Rooney
RVP

Maybe I'm being a bit generous with Rafael, but even if you exclude him it's 6-5 in favor of the current team. Keep in mind that I also excluded Valencia and Kagawa, who were good on paper, but performed worse than Rashford and Martial do now.

It's not all about having better players, though. Balance is just as important. When you have a borderline world class DM in Carrick and world class striker in RVP, then much of the job is done. Ironically, those two are exactly the sort of players this team needs. That, and maybe a smarter CB.