Our Defence - Has it actually been fixed?

cyril C

So Shaw's blameless then?
if you believe a full back should absolutely stop anyone from making a cross, then he is at fault. But the opposition wasn't given too much space nor time, and what about Henderson? Should he save the cross as well? compared with Pogba, Lindelof, AWB, IMO no his fault, whoever it was, was too minor.

UpWithRivers

I just re watched that Brighton goal. The cross from Maupay was bang on. An inch closer to Shaw and it would have been blocked. An inch lower and Lindelof would have got it. An inch higher and it would have given WB a chance to get it. It fell bang on Welbeck. Ok maybe not an inch but point is sometimes you have to give credit for the attacking play. Could we have done better? Sure. All of them - Pogba, Shaw, Lindelof and WB. But its not glaring mistakes. Its mistakes that happen even with the best defense in the world.

Water Melon

before it dries out, eh
Our defense would have been in a much better shape, if Jones and Bailly were not sick notes. If the two lads could play at least half the games in a season., we would have been much closer to the noisy neighbours.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
if you believe a full back should absolutely stop anyone from making a cross, then he is at fault. But the opposition wasn't given too much space nor time, and what about Henderson? Should he save the cross as well? compared with Pogba, Lindelof, AWB, IMO no his fault, whoever it was, was too minor.
The opposition clearly was given too much time and space because they got the cross in

I get it Shaw's flavour of the month and exempt from criticism

cyril C

The opposition clearly was given too much time and space because they got the cross in

I get it Shaw's flavour of the month and exempt from criticism
No, the entire team, Bruno included, should get the stick in 1st half. Only Maguire made a tackle that saved us the 2nd goal, but doesn't mean he was good during 1st half.

In second half, we were much better as a team.

I exclude Shaw from that particular criticism, ONLY because of his involvement of that goal. It was a beautiful curve ball right into the centre of the box, if you believe every fullback should block every cross then he was at fault FOR that goal. Otherwise his contribution during 1st half was below average, like the rest of the squad.

Longshanks

I just re watched that Brighton goal. The cross from Maupay was bang on. An inch closer to Shaw and it would have been blocked. An inch lower and Lindelof would have got it. An inch higher and it would have given WB a chance to get it. It fell bang on Welbeck. Ok maybe not an inch but point is sometimes you have to give credit for the attacking play. Could we have done better? Sure. All of them - Pogba, Shaw, Lindelof and WB. But its not glaring mistakes. Its mistakes that happen even with the best defense in the world.
Pogbas was a glaring mistake, giving the ball straight to the opposition 30 yards from your own goal under no pressure is definitely a glaring error and it's a common one from mr pogba. It's his mistake that means maupauy has the space to measure a great cross in, without his mistake the attack never happens.

arthurka

We have shut up shop by not attacking. That in it self is a fix but not a great one.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't know why people want to tag every goal to some defender mistake. If we go with that, we won't have even a single good defender or attacker too.

It was inch perfect cross and well timed run from Welbeck with bit of luck that rebound came directly to him.

slored1

Our defence is allright but not elite. One more centre back, some competition for AWB and we'll be fine.

Ranchero

Those who dont rate McT should know he has scored more goals for us in the Prem this season than Pogba 4-3. Freddddddd..who needs a fancy name