Our Defence - Has it actually been fixed?

cyril C

So Shaw's blameless then?
if you believe a full back should absolutely stop anyone from making a cross, then he is at fault. But the opposition wasn't given too much space nor time, and what about Henderson? Should he save the cross as well? compared with Pogba, Lindelof, AWB, IMO no his fault, whoever it was, was too minor.

UpWithRivers

I just re watched that Brighton goal. The cross from Maupay was bang on. An inch closer to Shaw and it would have been blocked. An inch lower and Lindelof would have got it. An inch higher and it would have given WB a chance to get it. It fell bang on Welbeck. Ok maybe not an inch but point is sometimes you have to give credit for the attacking play. Could we have done better? Sure. All of them - Pogba, Shaw, Lindelof and WB. But its not glaring mistakes. Its mistakes that happen even with the best defense in the world.

Water Melon

Our defense would have been in a much better shape, if Jones and Bailly were not sick notes. If the two lads could play at least half the games in a season., we would have been much closer to the noisy neighbours.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
if you believe a full back should absolutely stop anyone from making a cross, then he is at fault. But the opposition wasn't given too much space nor time, and what about Henderson? Should he save the cross as well? compared with Pogba, Lindelof, AWB, IMO no his fault, whoever it was, was too minor.
The opposition clearly was given too much time and space because they got the cross in

I get it Shaw's flavour of the month and exempt from criticism

cyril C

The opposition clearly was given too much time and space because they got the cross in

I get it Shaw's flavour of the month and exempt from criticism
No, the entire team, Bruno included, should get the stick in 1st half. Only Maguire made a tackle that saved us the 2nd goal, but doesn't mean he was good during 1st half.

In second half, we were much better as a team.

I exclude Shaw from that particular criticism, ONLY because of his involvement of that goal. It was a beautiful curve ball right into the centre of the box, if you believe every fullback should block every cross then he was at fault FOR that goal. Otherwise his contribution during 1st half was below average, like the rest of the squad.

Longshanks

I just re watched that Brighton goal. The cross from Maupay was bang on. An inch closer to Shaw and it would have been blocked. An inch lower and Lindelof would have got it. An inch higher and it would have given WB a chance to get it. It fell bang on Welbeck. Ok maybe not an inch but point is sometimes you have to give credit for the attacking play. Could we have done better? Sure. All of them - Pogba, Shaw, Lindelof and WB. But its not glaring mistakes. Its mistakes that happen even with the best defense in the world.
Pogbas was a glaring mistake, giving the ball straight to the opposition 30 yards from your own goal under no pressure is definitely a glaring error and it's a common one from mr pogba. It's his mistake that means maupauy has the space to measure a great cross in, without his mistake the attack never happens.

arthurka

We have shut up shop by not attacking. That in it self is a fix but not a great one.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't know why people want to tag every goal to some defender mistake. If we go with that, we won't have even a single good defender or attacker too.

It was inch perfect cross and well timed run from Welbeck with bit of luck that rebound came directly to him.

slored1

Our defence is allright but not elite. One more centre back, some competition for AWB and we'll be fine.

Ranchero

Those who dont rate McT should know he has scored more goals for us in the Prem this season than Pogba 4-3. Freddddddd..who needs a fancy name

Ekeke

Liverpool, City and Chelsea maybe - decent record but they just lost 2 matches in a row. But none of them would if Lindelof was starting for them.

Spurs have the best record but I give a lot of credit to Hojberg in front of them and a lesser extent Sissoko, not sure Tobi and Dier is it without that help.

I quite like Soyuncu and Fofana at Leicester but I dont think they're ready this season to be a title winning defence so maybe in 2 years if they progress.
Not the premier league, but FA cup in the bag

Ranchero

To the original author, NO. We were supposed to get rid of the dead wood. But the truth is we have kept them and put them on even longer contracts. Bailly has agreed terms that will run until June 2024, with the option of a further year. Yup. And Under Ole Phil Jones was offered an extended contract deal on Feb, 2019 which runs till 2023 – with a seemingly laughable option to extend to 2024.
Where is he? Nowhere. Money for old crud.

A-man

Not the premier league, but FA cup in the bag
I have never believed in the talk like “that team can’t win titles with that defence”. Ok if it is super poor. But that’s not how it works. I think City would have had a chance to win with our defence. I’m not so sure we would have won with their defence.

Ekeke

I have never believed in the talk like “that team can’t win titles with that defence”. Ok if it is super poor. But that’s not how it works. I think City would have had a chance to win with our defence. I’m not so sure we would have won with their defence.
I think City could have won with Maguire starting. And we'd have been better with Stones or Dias next to Maguire no doubt about it. Not sure it would be enough to win the title based on that alone.

Silverman

I do think we need to sign a CB but in my opinion, a defensive midfielder who can get about the park and is comfortable on the ball is the biggest necessity.
Bailly & Lindelof wouldn't have been as exposed had we got someone in midfield that could protect them properly.
I do rate McTominay and Fred as squad options but neither should be starting for us.

Fabinho is the prime example. Klopp plays him at CB and Liverpool struggle game after game as there is nobody in front to protect them.
They swap him back to midfield and bring in a less talented CB and somehow they look sturdier.

All due to Fabinho in defence midfield.

A-man

I think City could have won with Maguire starting. And we'd have been better with Stones or Dias next to Maguire no doubt about it. Not sure it would be enough to win the title based on that alone.
I don’t say that a player here there couldn’t improve, but the talk about can’t win titles is what I’m not buying. The Leicester title now was one good example but cups are of course very different from a league. I think our first back 4 have a good record defensively and when they have played we have a point per game average similar to City’s. (2.2 points per game)

I think City had won if they had our defence even though some claim Harry would never fit in a Pep team.

Dante

Average bang
Set pieces are the problem. Goals conceded:

RTeamOpen PlayCounter AttackSet PiecePenaltyOwn Goal
1Manchester City141581
2Manchester United2111442
3Chelsea222621
4Wolverhampton Wanderers2331263
5Brighton2311062
6Leicester2461031
7Tottenham240782
8Arsenal253424
9Leeds2621582
10Aston Villa262751
11Liverpool2611040
12Everton283731
13West Ham312634
14Fulham351761
15Crystal Palace3951230
16Burnley391731
17Sheffield United4051133
18Newcastle United416843
19Southampton444681
20West Bromwich Albion482963

We're not doing too badly in open play. So talk of a DM fixing everything is missing the point. It's centreback where we need to focus.

The main issue United have is in defending set pieces. Henderson has already made us visibly better in that regard. But a better CB partner for Maguire would go a long way to fixing the issue.

I guess a replacement for Fred to help defend freekicks might also help. But McTominay is already a strong presence in our own box, so he's doing his part. It would be a mistake to replace the latter without fixing CB first - especially if we're going to persist with AWB at RB who has his own shortcomings in that area. The team needs more help in the air, not less.

Last edited:

Ekeke

I don’t say that a player here there couldn’t improve, but the talk about can’t win titles is what I’m not buying. The Leicester title now was one good example but cups are of course very different from a league. I think our first back 4 have a good record defensively and when they have played we have a point per game average similar to City’s. (2.2 points per game)

I think City had won if they had our defence even though some claim Harry would never fit in a Pep team.
Our team is based around the options we have at CB. We have 2 DMs because our defence isnt trusted without them. So City wouldnt be playing the same lineup with our CBs

Irwin99

Our defence has conceded more than Liverpool's :eek: and we've mostly had a really good season with keeping players fit.

jesperjaap

Our team is based around the options we have at CB. We have 2 DMs because our defence isnt trusted without them. So City wouldnt be playing the same lineup with our CBs
Isnt it a bit of both. That is a valid reason but what really are our options in central midfield. Its those two or Pogba that has its frailties, its VDB who isnt playing or performing when he does or Matic who is getting on now......even forgetting or defence, forget the names, for a club our size and a side that is to challenge for the title, they really arent great options, though of course outside of Maguire, neither are our centre backs. I think that is telling for what we need this summer as personally I think a centre back and TWO central midfielders hold a bigger priority than attacking players

Colin Clarke

We only have one top defender in our back four, AWB. It definitely hasn't been fixed.
What about Shaw, he has been the most consistent left back in the premier League this season. It's our Centre back pairing that's the problem made worse by the lack of a quality Defensive midfielder.

Ekeke

Minus trippier and it'll be a huge dissappointment if we dont have a very good defensive record next season

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
:lol:

I remember so many people on here arguing that we had a good defense because we conceded the second least goals the season before and said I was nitpicking when I pointed out a good defense doesn't average nearly a goal conceded a game.

On paper we look like we're fixed, but let's see if we finally make changes to how we defend set pieces. If we continuously leave the biggest aerial threat alone, adding Varane won't help us there.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
If this defence will not be top then all coaches and manager should be sacked. This is top of the pops defence now

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
You mean least goals conceded?
I mean that this defence should work great without having two dmc to cover it and without us playing defensive football.
This is, imo, best defence in PL. Dave is still very good gk, Shaw is top lb, Varane is world class defender and Harry is best English defender. I am not a fan of AWB (because of his complete lack of technique) but he is reliable right back.

I expect great stuff from this defence.

Utd77

Adding Trippier would be the final piece of the defensive jigsaw.

In fact the back four with Trippier and Varane suddenly looks quite formidable.

justsomebloke

There's "quality of defence" as in how good the team is at not conceding goals. That's not just about the back four. And there's "quality of defence" as in what the players in the back four contribute to the team. That's not just about how many goals you concede. Important to be clear about which of the two we're talking about.

All things considered, I think it's fair to say according to the latter of those of definitions that we now have a back four that is of comparable quality to City and Liverpool. All 3 teams have world class quality in 3 of those 4 slots, and a bit less in the 4th. And they are all back fours capable of contributing quite a lot in transition and attack. Liverpool's more than the others, but then that comes out with a correspondingly greater defensive onus on the central midfield that contributes less to the attack than ours and City's does.

Tough comparison with Chelsea, as they play a back 3 (or 5). No one else should be close. It's really looking quite markedly like a clear top 4 this year, much more so than a year ago.

By the former definition, that'll depend a lot on selections, posture and performance in other positions too (especially in goal and in the midfield), and on how we do on defensive set-pieces (which again involves a lot more players than just the back 4).

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I mean that this defence should work great without having two dmc to cover it and without us playing defensive football.
This is, imo, best defence in PL. Dave is still very good gk, Shaw is top lb, Varane is world class defender and Harry is best English defender. I am not a fan of AWB (because of his complete lack of technique) but he is reliable right back.

I expect great stuff from this defence.
Yeah we have very good defense. Wouldn't say best in PL but nothing much between ours, pool and City's defense. Chelsea is hard to rate as they play 3 CB system, as a team they are very good defensively too.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Looking at the stats above, and looking at the number of times we conceded from corners and free kicks (man that last minute Everton goal still gets on my nerves), its clear that our defense is fine if we can defend set pieces better.

The next step would be to see if we can manage most games with one covering midfielder, and allow Pogba and Bruno and the like to dominate the ball and break teams down.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Well, Maguire was our best centre back by a mile prior to signing Varane. I think that says more about how incredibly poor our squad options are. Maguire on his day is top quality, but when he's not performing at a high level his flaws are a lot more exposed, and they limit the team tactically.

I think Varane has already shown that he's our best defender. Took him 5 minutes.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Our defence is fixed. We are 1 and a a half DMs short of being really good.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
With out hard working players modern day defending will never be fulfilled. United under Fergie always resembled balance. Many hard working players in those teams.

One or two maximum for attack alone but all others were technically sound hard working players.From Rooney to Valencia to young Keane park ji sung scholes Evra neville. You name it. Can't make too many defensively passengers in solid team.

Dominos

Ball retention being so poor throughout the whole team means teams get to hit us on the counter/transition for fun. Our pressing being so poor means teams cut right through us all day and have a free run at the defence.

People said now we've signed Varane the defence won't need as much protection... all defences need protection. You can't keep losing the ball needlessly and fail to win it back or fail to make the tactical fouls to break up the attacks.

We still look far from solid, Wolves our only clean sheet this season and in that game we should have conceded about 4.

largelyworried

I’m a bit worried about the defence still, but Maguires individual performances have been below his usual standard, so there’s that to consider. He’ll get back to his level at some point. But still, four goals conceded is a concern when our rivals have each conceded just one (albeit only at half time in the Chelsea game) despite us not having played a big team yet.