Our Defence

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
More than happy to let Ole buy a defender in Jan. If he's basing everything off Fergie as he seems to be doing, I have every faith. That man knew what was needed at the back.

JohnnyKills

3 goals in 3 games isnt bad at all. Our attack and defence was shit pre-OGS. Both have actually improved since he came in.

GF pre-OGS - 29 in 17
GA pre-OGS - 29 in 17

GF during OGS - 12 in 3
GA during OGS - 3 in 3
Conceding a goal a game isn't good enough for a top side. And we've hardly been playing the big boys have we?

We desperately need two new CBS - I agree with JM on that at least!!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
As far as transfers go, I really think that we could ignore midfield and attack and just concentrate on defence.

Darmian - ____ - Rojo - ____
Valencia - Jones - Bailly - Young
Dalot - Smalling - Lindelof - Shaw

That’s what I’d be looking to clear out in January/Summer. I’d then be looking to sign a top quality centre back, a top quality fullback and bring Taunzebe back into the fold.

AaronRedDevil

All we need is just one rock solid defender and everything will fall into place. I've no idea who though.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Like someone else said, what is encouraging is that goals against us are coming from mistakes and set pieces. If our new style was constantly getting countered on it would be a worry.
The new style has not yet been tested to a great degree.

The tweak against better teams will be Herrera and Matic play a more defensive role and the full-backs will be asked to hold defensive positions.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
As far as transfers go, I really think that we could ignore midfield and attack and just concentrate on defence.

Darmian - ____ - Rojo - ____
Valencia - Jones - Bailly - Young
Dalot - Smalling - Lindelof - Shaw

That’s what I’d be looking to clear out in January/Summer. I’d then be looking to sign a top quality centre back, a top quality fullback and bring Taunzebe back into the fold.
How’s Taunzebe doing at Villa?

Think we might need to look at a quality, mobile DM as well.

An Irish Red

Maguire is gettable in January. I reckon 55m will do it.
He is young, commanding, great in the air, good on the ball. Has premier league experience. He lacks a little pace, but playing a Bailey next to him will work.
Then I think we should go for another CB in the summer and get rid of a couple.

As Liverpool proved, one class defender is all it needs.
They have Robertson (and to a lesser extent Alexander-Arnold and Alisson) as well though; van Dijk is a brilliant player but he isn't doing it all himself.

We have De Gea and that's about it; the rest of our defence has question marks surrounding them. We need to sign elite quality at fullback as well as centre back in my opinion.

Mr PG

They have Robertson (and to a lesser extent Alexander-Arnold and Alisson) as well though; van Dijk is a brilliant player but he isn't doing it all himself.

We have De Gea and that's about it; the rest of our defence has question marks surrounding them. We need to sign elite quality at fullback as well as centre back in my opinion.
I agree. Shaw, young, Valencia not good enough as well as Smalling, Jones, lindeloef if I’m being honest.

Mr PG

Gana from Everton would be an upgrade on Matic/ Herrera as he’s mobile.

Kidders

We need a complete overhaul, Dalot looks promising at RB, but neither Valencia, Young or Darmian should be considered as serious competion, Shaw has'nt won me over yet but is good enough to compete for LB, CB is the main area for concern, IMO we need two new ones, keep hold of Bailly & Linderlöf, and hope Axel proves his worth, so FOUR new top class signings at RB, CBx2 & LB.

The question is realistically who ?

What about Thomas Meunière, Toby Alderweireld, Khalidou Koulibaly & Lucas Hernädez.
With Diogo Dalot, Eric Bailly, Victor Linderlöf, Axel Tuanzebe & Luke Shaw as back up ?

We would sell/release Valencia, Young, Darmian, Smalling, Jones, Rojo & TFM

Steerpike

I agree with that. If we're going to continue to ask our full backs to play so far up the pitch, having a DM with the pace to deal with counter attacks will be essential.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Keep - Shaw, Lindelof, Smalling, Young, Dalot

Sell - Everyone else

Buy - left back, right back, 2 centre backs
An argument could be made for the inclusion of Bailly to our squad - a hugely talented centre-back who, through no fault of his own, was cruelly denied the gift of a functioning brain - but overall that list seems fair.

The question is who to bring in?

DeGea

Get Koulibally and Maguire in January. Levy wont sell Toby in January (bastard!) but we should bid anyway now to unsettle him for the summer..

As for the first two, throw the kitchen sink to both of those clubs whom I think will cave and sell. I suspect 200 million will sort us out for all three which is nothing really in today’s market. We can make that money back easily. Sell off any deadwood too.

Stepney73

Jones,rojo,Valencia and darmian need shipping out this month even if only one defender is added to the squad.

This will free up space in he squad for proper scouting and recruiting in the summer.

MUfreak

@Mr PG I don't think Gana can replace Herrera or Matic as he has lesser skill set to play in this team yes he can run and all that but no thanks

reds_fan_aus

Supports
Napoli
I have to be careful for what I wish for. As a Man Utd supporter I would love Koulibaly to come to Old Trafford only for his sake. His ability deserves that he plays at a top Club like Utd and wins some medals. But as a Napoli supporter it would saddened me if he moved before winning the Scudetto. Having said that what a defence we would have in Dalot, Lindelof, Koulibaly and Shaw. WOW!

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Gana from Everton would be an upgrade on Matic/ Herrera as he’s mobile.
You can't be possibly think a mid table level midfielder will be an upgrade on Matic or even Herrera. Matic & Herrera are way above Gana, if you want mobile then get Kante, if it's not possible to sign him then don't waste the money on average ones and just stick with what we already have right now, Herrera is mobile enough.

@Mr PG

Also, most holding midfielder aren't supposed to be mobile especially with the way how we play right now. The reason is because our full back are going to overlap most of the time and if we let our no 6 being mobile means he's likely to be out of position and that will leave 2 of our centre backs alone when defending counter attack. The best upgrade will be someone who is similar to Carrick or Busquest or Alonso. A DM who can pass the ball and can act like a 3rd centre back.

AgentP

We need to sign a top CB in January to give Solskjaer a real chance to get top 4 this season. A player like Koulibaly or De Ligt could give a huge boost to the squad. The last 3 games would have made our board realise that top 4 is still not out of the question. A strong run can get us there.

AgentP

Get Koulibally and Maguire in January. Levy wont sell Toby in January (bastard!) but we should bid anyway now to unsettle him for the summer..

As for the first two, throw the kitchen sink to both of those clubs whom I think will cave and sell. I suspect 200 million will sort us out for all three which is nothing really in today’s market. We can make that money back easily. Sell off any deadwood too.
We don't need three. Even one would do for now.

Champagne Football

If the board doesn't want to spend money bringing in an experienced CD in January then offloading Darmian and Rojo would all but pay for the Kostas Monolas release clause

ship50

Keep - Shaw, Lindelof, Smalling, Young, Dalot

Sell - Everyone else

Buy - left back, right back, 2 centre backs
Agree with this. Set pieces need to be looked at as we struggle there. Also, it would be interesting to see how we deal with teams who use swift counter-attacks.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Very good once he was finally moved into the centre (he was playing at rightback before that). Villa fans love him since that move. Unfortunately he got injured a couple of weeks ago and I'm not sure when he'll be back.

He's also quite weak in the air unfortunately, so is another one who will need to be partnered with someone who is aerially dominant.

Lentwood

Defenders are cheaper to purchase than attackers. We under-spent against our budget last summer for whatever reason and should have i.r.o £150m again to spend next summer. Add £50m for player sales and we could realistically have a budget of £250m for one summer window

That should be enough to sign 4/5 top quality defenders, even in this market. Let's hope it happens because for me, that's "par" given where we are, the size of our club and the resources we have. I absolutely do not want to see another year of 'make-do' defenders and/or players out of position it should be out of the question for a top club

Cathy Ferguson

If the board doesn't want to spend money bringing in an experienced CD in January then offloading Darmian and Rojo would all but pay for the Kostas Monolas release clause
The problem is probably that Rojo and Darmian are on high wages compared to what they offer on the pitch.

AndyJ1985

Our defence is in the same state that our midfield was in before Ferguson left. Loads of deadwood and mediocrity accumulated over years, and players who for some inexplicable reason have been allowed to remain at the club long after their sell by date. It needs a serious clear out and significant investment, just like our midfield did.

ErranMorad

Like the OP said, it needs a lot of work.

Two of Bailly, Rojo & Jones need to go.
Damian should be sold in this window.
One of Valencia or Young needs to leave.

Need to buy a LB to compete with Shaw
A RB to compete with Dalot.
A commanding CB to play on the left.
A young versatile defender who can play as a CB or a FB.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
I'd love it if we could stop settling for mediocrity and bet on proven players. Look at Bayern for comparison:

Alaba - Boateng/Hummels - Süle - Kimmich

They're going after Lucas Hernandez and Pavard now. Such a smart strategy going for 2 players that can both play fullback and centreback. Not even 2 players/position which means they can have so many great players in these positions. I'd assume they'd give chances to youngsters if they'd have to (Lars Lukas Mai? etc).

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I wonder if Solskjær would have had much use for Blind? Limited as he was in certain obvious ways, he was an organizer back there and his ability on the ball may have been appreciated.

The United

I personally would ship out Bailly and Rojo and get a CB. Should be enough with 4 CBs and some additional from youth teams.

We will need a LB and first choice RB while keeping both Young and Valencia for next season. The reason I say to keep them is for covers and in case whoever we sign for RB does not work out which is often the case with our signings lately.

reddevil80

I would suggest Maguire or Koulibaly in but only as long as we say goodbye to Darmian, Valencia and Young. I hope the talk of a spanish side coming in for Bailly are unfounded. I believe he is one of the players who needs an arm around him and support of the manager and the fans as he is a solid, pacey, hard hitting, no nonsense defender and I think having Maguire alongside him would provide a solid backline in front of DdG.

cyril C

I'm keen on us keeping on playing Dalot through this season. For me, playing Young and Valencia does nothing for us because we know what they're all about and it's not good enough (going into next season). Dalot might be, and giving him the next 6 months might pay off.
Young remained our best crosser of the ball apart from Herrera. While Dalot is enthusiastic, his crossing is perfect on strength but delivered to the wrong place. He is more energetic than Valencia but too (physically) weak as defender. He should start in FA but nowhere near regular status.