Our fresh batch of deadwood

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Thisssssssssss

Nobody should leave before this clown.

I’m really starting to become a bit angry with him and his ‘career’ here.

Somebody should total up the amount of money we’ve paid Phil in his time here.

We could have donated that money to the United charity fund and not missed one single moment of this sick notes time here (apart the moment he used his head when on the floor and his facial expressions.)
Or we could've paid a decent scout to find us the next "best player we ever had"...

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Probablem with clearing deadwood is that no one else wants deadwood. If anyone think Jones is going anywhere before his contract expires (unless he is paid off in full) then they're going to be disappointed. De Gea is also a massive issue as no one is giving him £350k+ a week; although I wouldn't really class him as deadwood.

Ole inherited a bloated squad of chumps. He prioritised well who needed to go first and given time he'll get rid of the rest.

But it's not always easy to get rid of players who are under contract or you don't receive offers for.

Yes Phil Jones is in a category on his own. I think Phil must have compromising photos of Ed Woodward and Joel Glazer.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Ole inherited a bloated squad of chumps. He prioritised well who needed to go first and given time he'll get rid of the rest.

But it's not always easy to get rid of players who are under contract or you don't receive offers for.

Yes Phil Jones is in a category on his own. I think Phil must have compromising photos of Ed Woodward and Joel Glazer.
I dunno I just put it down to them copyrighting his facial expressions. They probably make some serious coin out of that.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Romero, Grant, possibly De Gea, Jones, Mata, Matic, Pereira, Lingard, possibly Martial would be the next batch I'd get out the door and get some ready to roll replacements in for.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
We don’t have much deadwood now, especially when you look at the shit we’ve had to put up with in the past. There’s players we could improve on, of course, but they’d all still have a place in the squad. There’s no one besides Jones where you’re thinking why the feck are they still clinging on.

United Hobbit

Jones needs to be paid off to leave. I'm sick of seeing "Jones won't be available" in the pre match press conferences. He's also prone to calamitous errors when he does play. Whoever gave him that new contract is an idiot.

Pereira hopefully his loan club will buy him, or maybe a lower league Spanish or German side? But we can't price them out of him, which we usually do.

Lingard I've said for a while would do better at a smaller PL club, I'm pleased for him that he did well at Westham, hopefully as the loan worked for both parties they look at buying him. Again, we must not price them out of him.

De Gea. Obviously not what I'd call dead wood, but a decision needs to be made about him or Henderson. The trouble with De Gea is again a new contract, and also his wage. He would probably have to take a pay cut to move.

Mata I don't have any problems with, but his lack of pace doesn't help. He could have been useful in a game like last night as Villareal were hardly quick themselves. Think he will go back to Spain though

VDB baffles me, I thought he was a decent player but we've barely seen him. Had Ole used him a bit more, he could have rested Bruno and got VDB going better, and he would have been there as an option to be called upon last night. Don't think I get rid yet, give him half a season to prove himself

Martial. Again not the classic definition of deadwood but blows so hot and cold you can't work him out. Given Cavani is staying, I'd look to sell and use funds elsewhere. Preferably on Sancho...

Matic. Another I dont really have a problem with, but we should be succession planning for him. We won't though, and will wait until hes past it.

Romero I'd happily keep as number 2 gk as he's performed this role with credit before, but I think we've burnt bridges with him. The Lee Grant signing was just odd

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'd qualify everyone who isn't trusted to perform enough to rotate in for a random game as the occasional rest as replaceable deadwood.

galwayfa

I can't understand the term pay him off, does he get full amount without playing if sold, surely players wouldn't like that for a period of time hanging over them professionally, if going to pay them off, keep them and help win u23 league, obviously not all but if its only a player, ala Jones, make him by lowering his level in shaming him to go,

justsomebloke

Managing a squad and maintaining its quality is highly important for any club to be successful. Having been critical of Oles tactics before he's manages the actual squad well.

Lukaku people can debate over as he's still a quality CF but the likes of
Young
Sanchez
Lingard
Smalling
Pereira

We've done well to move on the above lot.

Having said we still have Mata and Jones who don't seem to really have a place in this team. And personally I see the following too who need to be looked at
James (she's shit)
Williams (regressed completely)
And now VDB (Liam Miller 2.0)

Of course I see an argument that players being given time but I also think smart clubs catch these situations and nip them in the bud. Sitting here two years from now wondering what the feck to do with James/Williams/VDB will be a collosal waste time and space in the squad.

Depressing thread but which players would you act on fast to avoid the same cycle repeating itself? For me the three I mentioned are looking like red flag.s
Jones. Dalot.Lingard. Pereira. Mata.

Bailly, Williams, Matic and Martial, only if a better player in the same position is brought in.

I personally would keep James. I don't think he's shite, he's a good squad player. Also think it would be premature to dump DvdB.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I hope we cut hard and free up that money to freshen up. If you aren’t going to back the manager balls to the wall then at least allow him flexibility to build capital through sales.

Mata Jones Pereira Lingard

Williams Garner Laird first team squad loans

I’d actually give Dalot one more season and gamble on him being attacking enough instead of signing trippier for 20 million or whatever. Use the money to go bigger on the midfield or central defence.

StBruno

Dead wood is a disparaging term for anyone let alone a player who has the class ,ability and decency of Juan Mata .

I do understand that there comes a time when certain players ight find a home more suited to their particular talents or where the pace of the PL might be too much . Also it might have to be concluded that certain players aren’t going to “ make the grade “

My view is once a player is in any of these categories it is better for the team and kinder for the individual to be moved on swiftly

Every time Dan James is given “ another chance “ it blocks Amad from precious minutes .

Every time a more mature midfielder is rotated into the team VDB loses another chance to integrate . ( I rate him and feel he has been treated with disdain worthy of JM)

Every time a striker whose head goes down after 10 mins if he hasn’t had 4 chances handed to him on a plate , gets another run out , it stifles the development of a ‘true 9’.

In general, youngsters who ooze class and already have that elusive quality “time on the ball” such as that genius -in -the -making Hannibal , must think that the rungs above them are so crowded they will never climb the ladder.

so I wholly agree that most of the players mentioned here with the exception of vdb ( who I am sure can come good and who hasn’t been here long enough to be judged in this way ) must be firmly and swiftly moved on, despite any losses.

I would include Juan Mata in that list with the heaviest of hearts. I would include Fred without a moment’s hesitation. I realise there is no chance of the latter being politely shown the door. He inexplicably has his feet under the table , it seems.

United Hobbit

Disappointed not to see Jones on the list of players leaving/ being released

Also, why are we in talks with Lee Grant over a new contract, what does he do? Yet we release Romero, who's been a reliable 2nd goalkeeper, with question marks remaining over De Gea and Henderson. Surely one of those 2 will be leaving, so why not keep Romero as 2nd goalkeeper?

crossy1686

career ending

Also, why are we in talks with Lee Grant over a new contract, what does he do? Yet we release Romero, who's been a reliable 2nd goalkeeper, with question marks remaining over De Gea and Henderson. Surely one of those 2 will be leaving, so why not keep Romero as 2nd goalkeeper?
Discussions with Lee Grant suggests Tom Heaton will be second choice instead of 3rd. Meaning De Gea or Henderson is off...

And Romero has been trying to leave for over a season and we won't let him

Josep Dowling

Discussions with Lee Grant suggests Tom Heaton will be second choice instead of 3rd. Meaning De Gea or Henderson is off...

I suspect the club is keeping both as they are ‘nice guys’. Seems to be a common theme over the years rather than judging players on their actual worth on the pitch.

crossy1686

career ending
I suspect the club is keeping both as they are ‘nice guys’. Seems to be a common theme over the years rather than judging players on their actual worth on the pitch.
Well there needs to be some sort of culture within the club that is positive and conducive to the way United want to lead themselves. We've seen how toxic it can get when a manager clears out people who have positive influence on the squad or a group of individuals. It's not like the bit part players are on huge money either, and Fergie always kept a few around who eventually went on to be his assistants.

SAFMUTD

Jones leaving would mean that we paid his contract in full, we wont do that obviously and he's pretty much unsellable so he'll be here until 2023 when his contract expires.

United Hobbit

Jones leaving would mean that we paid his contract in full, we wont do that obviously and he's pretty much unsellable so he'll be here until 2023 when his contract expires.
Would love to know who's decision it was to give him a new contract. Ridiculous decision!

sp_107

Mata/Matic/Perrera/Dalot/Jones has to go

Telles/James/Fred/Lindelof can be upgraded

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

I did ask myself why all the media talk regarding Heaton joining as third choice. But it's likelier he'll be 2nd choice, what with him getting a 2+1 contract and all.

Actually think we've got two "first choice" keepers and neither is good enough. Dave on the decline and Henderson not looking like he's got some seriously high ceiling. Ben Foster all over again.

pascell

Some people on here seem to think we'll get £5m for him :lol:

nickyboy1981

Didn't Romero say he wanted to leave last year and was forced to stay?

Maybe last year Ole was waiting to find a suitable replacement.

Reactions: Cheimoon

hungrywing

I’d bet a weeks worth of Jones’ wages that Woodward still doesn’t realize the extent to which renewing that contract cost way more than it has on paper.

Together

Bobade

I’d bet a weeks worth of Jones’ wages that Woodward still doesn’t realize the extent to which renewing that contract cost way more than it has on paper.

Together
He is an investment banker. I'm sure that concept isn't beyond him.

Nakhon Phanom

Sorry to see Romero go as he has been a decent back up keeper for a number of years and has been badly treated for the last 12 months.... I wish him well.
I can't understand negotiations with 38 year old Lee Grant if 35 year old Tom Heaton is coming. Heaton has been a decent keeper but is getting on a bit now and becoming injury prone... surely 3rd choice keeper??
And the Hendo and Dave conundrum... Dave has declined the last couple of years but is still only 30 and could come good again.
Hendo, good keeper but not yet good enough for a title chasing side... still young and likely to improve.
I think one of these two will leave and bring in Johnstone as number 2,possibly.
Williams (loan) one of Bailly and Tuanzebe to go, maybe out on loan.
Same for James, Matic and Fred only back up players at best... sell at least one if we can.
Martial, for Christ's sake get rid... sulker with a bad attitude.
Phil Jones has been here 11 years but has only played about 3 seasons worth.
Can't wait till he gets into management... 3 year contracts, sacked after 6 months...big payout each time... keep him going for the next 20 years.
Mata... love the guy... yes he,s a fading force but give him a 1 year contract with a coaching role.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Deadwood whom probably nobody wants and has no place at our team at all:
Jones

Payers who we should get rid of, as they no long fit in our plan, but may still have some market interest:
VDB, Dalot, Pereira, Mata, Matic, Romero

Players we may consider to sell if there is a better or more suitable player coming in:
Pogba (for Grealish), Lingard (for Rice), Martial (for Haaland/Kane/Ronaldo etc), James (for Sancho), Bailey/Tuanzebe (for better CB), Telles (for better LB)

Fletchageddon

Williams is leaving at least on a loan, possibly even on permanent deal, he'll never be good enough imo, he's right-footed but for some reason much more comfortable on left side...
Are you 5 years old? One of the club's best ever left backs was right footed. F#@k me. This place gets worse every year.

Dan_F

Mata/Matic/Perrera/Dalot/Jones has to go

Telles/James/Fred/Lindelof can be upgraded
Matic played 35 games this season. Telles has been fine as back up. Dalot is playing in the under 21 Euro final. He can be a part of the squad if we can’t sign someone like Trippier, allowing Williams a loan.

In reality the players we need out are Mata, Jones, Andreas. Anyone else is incoming dependent, as the squad is nowhere near big enough to sell Lindelof or Fred.

justsomebloke

Matic played 35 games this season. Telles has been fine as back up. Dalot is playing in the under 21 Euro final. He can be a part of the squad if we can’t sign someone like Trippier, allowing Williams a loan.

In reality the players we need out are Mata, Jones, Andreas. Anyone else is incoming dependent, as the squad is nowhere near big enough to sell Lindelof or Fred.
And Lingard, surely?

I'm not sure it makes sense to hold on to Dalot if they don't see a longer term future for him at the club.

Dan_F

And Lingard, surely?

I'm not sure it makes sense to hold on to Dalot if they don't see a longer term future for him at the club.
Yeah I’d forgotten about Lingard.

I don’t mind Dalot staying, if it means getting Williams a loan. Trippier would probably be the best option if we can get him.

BorisManUtd

Are you 5 years old? One of the club's best ever left backs was right footed. F#@k me. This place gets worse every year.
Calm down, mate, no need for nervousness :) No, I'm not old enough to remember Denis Irwin but I know he was a great left back. I'm not saying Williams is not good enough because he's right footed but because I believe he's just not good enough. Just said it was unusual to me that he is more comfortable on left back being right footed, it's not like that in many cases.

You either be respectful or don't quote me ever again. Your frustration is not my fault.

sp_107

Yeah I’d forgotten about Lingard.

I don’t mind Dalot staying, if it means getting Williams a loan. Trippier would probably be the best option if we can get him.
Dalot is not a bad backup but i think Ole still see him as a Jose's associate feed in all the info to Jose..That might be the reason he shipped out on loan without proper RB cover.I read this some where in an artcle about Ole's overhaul..Thought it was a silly claim by media but we never know these things

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Calm down, mate, no need for nervousness :) No, I'm not old enough to remember Denis Irwin but I know he was a great left back. I'm not saying Williams is not good enough because he's right footed but because I believe he's just not good enough. Just said it was unusual to me that he is more comfortable on left back being right footed, it's not like that in many cases.

You either be respectful or don't quote me ever again. Your frustration is not my fault.
Irwin was unusual that he could play both equally well but made LB his own as Gary Neville was taking the RB. Irwin funnily enough came to us as a RB from Oldham