Southampton D
West Ham D
Palace L
Spurs L
Chelsea D
Arsenal L

3 points from a possible 18. Pathetic.

Nick7

We’ve set up to defend two weeks in a row, at home. Cowardly.

Also, everyone and their mother knew Arsenal would press us early in the game today but it seems no one told the 11 players that were sent out onto the pitch.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Home form in the league after game vs. Arsenal.

We will get reactionary threads about relegation and they will be absurd because they are some truly dismal teams in the league this year.

But teams with that kind of home form do not finish in the top half. I see a 12th-14th place finish this season.

PoTMS

We've only scored 2 fecking goals at home this season as well and one was a penalty.

passing-wind

Said it Solskjaer is a pragmatic manager the moment it's required for us to be on the front foot we faulted because outside of a counter Ole has nothing to offer as a manager. This doesn't make him a useless coach he's just not suited towards the level needed to succeed at this club.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
Today was worse than the 6-1 for me.

If we don't beat bloody West Brom at home then I totally give up.
I know Pogba was shite, but we played with 11 men for 90 minutes, not for 30 minutes like against Tottenham.

Crashoutcassius

We will get reactionary threads about relegation and they will be absurd because they are some truly dismal teams in the league this year.

But teams with that kind of home form do not finish in the top half. I see a 12th-14th place finish this season.
Bet money. Make a killing. Send me a consultancy fee

croadyman

Said it Solskjaer is a pragmatic manager the moment it's required for us to be on the front foot we faulted because outside of a counter Ole has nothing to offer as a manager. This doesn't make him a useless coach he's just not suited towards the level needed to succeed at this club.
Absolutely spot on and fair play pal for having the guts to say it,know we don't care about England but it's just like Southgate with them

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We just don't use the width well enough.

Our style of play is a very counter attacking style, fast breaks which can be used against teams that are trying to beat us.

Anybody who comes to stifle the match and leave us no space, we struggle massively.

The reason for this mainly is all our play goes through the middle of the pitch. Our wide man aren't patient enough and don't keep wide, they're told to come inside and get into the middle of the goal, but that makes them super easy to mark.

Instead we leave AWB out wide who bless him tries his best, but clearly is no major threat going forward. Shaw is sometimes in the right position, but he rarely actually runs at anybody, he will instead either try to play it back into the middle for a 1-2 or hit a cross from deep which is easier to defend.

What i'm getting at is our style suits away matches, but not home. We need to use a different way of playing in home games to be effective.

Liverpool can manage this way because of their fullbacks being world class at crossing and attacking.

Look at Bayern Munich, we should follow a similar style to them. They play a 4-2-3-1 but their wide men stay wide way more often, then they hold the ball until the fullback overlaps and then they make the pass into the middle or play it on the outside. They don't even use inside forwards most of the time, Gnabry right and Sane left is their first 11.

How often is Greenwood/Mata/James/Rashford wide and holding the ball for AWB/Shaw to overlap? it just rarely ever happens. Rashford/Shaw are better at this and it usually works when they do finally do it.

TLDR;

Forwards are moving inside too early and blocking up the space for Bruno, not utilising the wide areas and stretching defences allowing them to block the middle of the pitch too easily. If they were more patient and kept the width until the fullback backs them up, we'd have a lot more success breaking teams down.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
We're not very good when we have to take the imitative it seems.

croadyman

We've been this way even in the late days of Fergie truth be told. The slow zombie passing. Looking clueless. I can't believe it's 2020 and we're still seeing it, we are simply so easy to play against.
Yeah a real soft touch when teams don't allow us the space to counter attack and that is a shambles

RUCK4444

Wait, are we seriously even worse than the worst-est teams?
I don’t read much into this at all, doesn’t matter if you lose/draw those games home or away it still has the same net effect.

Our toughest games have been at home as well and it’s still early on in the season, plus zero fans in stadiums, all things that skew that stat at this stage of the season imo.

Last edited:

DRM

We just don't use the width well enough.

Our style of play is a very counter attacking style, fast breaks which can be used against teams that are trying to beat us.

Anybody who comes to stifle the match and leave us no space, we struggle massively.

The reason for this mainly is all our play goes through the middle of the pitch. Our wide man aren't patient enough and don't keep wide, they're told to come inside and get into the middle of the goal, but that makes them super easy to mark.

Instead we leave AWB out wide who bless him tries his best, but clearly is no major threat going forward. Shaw is sometimes in the right position, but he rarely actually runs at anybody, he will instead either try to play it back into the middle for a 1-2 or hit a cross from deep which is easier to defend.

What i'm getting at is our style suits away matches, but not home. We need to use a different way of playing in home games to be effective.

Liverpool can manage this way because of their fullbacks being world class at crossing and attacking.

Look at Bayern Munich, we should follow a similar style to them. They play a 4-2-3-1 but their wide men stay wide way more often, then they hold the ball until the fullback overlaps and then they make the pass into the middle or play it on the outside. They don't even use inside forwards most of the time, Gnabry right and Sane left is their first 11.

How often is Greenwood/Mata/James/Rashford wide and holding the ball for AWB/Shaw to overlap? it just rarely ever happens. Rashford/Shaw are better at this and it usually works when they do finally do it.

TLDR;

Forwards are moving inside too early and blocking up the space for Bruno, not utilising the wide areas and stretching defences allowing them to block the middle of the pitch too easily. If they were more patient and kept the width until the fullback backs them up, we'd have a lot more success breaking teams down.

Good post, just a comment on Bayern though. Their wide men are actually wingers where as we don't have any (except for Dan James). Both Rashford and Greenwood are inside forwards. It's quite shocking that a club like man utd do not have an out and out winger in their team!

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Not sure home and away really holds a massive significance without fans inside the stadium.

Our home form is terrible, but our away form is outstanding. Both of those represent an unusual sequence of results for any club, and I bet both would be different if fans were in attendance.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Good post, just a comment on Bayern though. Their wide men are actually wingers where as we don't have any (except for Dan James). Both Rashford and Greenwood are inside forwards. It's quite shocking that a club like man utd do not have an out and out winger in their team!
While that's true they do sometimes use Coman from the left and Sane from the right - their style of play still works the same way.

It's more about the timing of our runs and moment that I have the issue with. Our wide man come inside far too early before the ball is even close to being put in the box, so our build up play between the half way line / their box gets stagnated badly.

Whichever side the ball is on the forward/winger should be staying wider, helping work with the fullback to get the ball into the box. Let the opposite side wideman get into the box with the striker and the CAM/midfielder to join in also.

So often I watch us and we just pile everybody in the centre of the box and leave AWB/Shaw 1v1 and hope they can beat their man and get a decent cross in - that's just amateur.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
7 points from 24.
Its the polar opposite from our record in the big games last season as Palace and West Brom aside all our home games have been against the traditional top 6

Unlike last season though we're beating the lesser sides away from home so swings and roundabouts

cyberman

To be fair we are playing most of the name teams. It should even out when the so called easier homes games come from now on and we have tougher away fixtures

PoTMS

1 win in our last 8 home league games.

Southampton D
West Ham D
Palace L
Spurs L
Chelsea D
Arsenal L
West Brom W
Man City D

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Not good, but our away form has been electric.

Of our next 10 at home in the league, none are against big six sides. Hopefully we can build on the two clean sheets and go on a bit of a run, especially as we could have fans back in the ground next Sunday.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Occurred to me this evening that six home league games into the season, we’ve scored three goals: Bruno’s tucked away two penalties and you have to go all the way back to the opening day of the season for when Donny scored against Palace for our only non-penalty goal.

Given our free scoring away from home and our goals at home in the Champions League, I’m not too worried about it continuing, but it has been rough so far.