Our managers actually are being backed.

Murray3007

still cant understand anyone who thinks the managers ain't backed here with maybe the exception of Moyes, No manager in history has ever got all the players he wanted in, you get on with it, ultimalte problem we have with the squad is there from different managers who all play different styles of football and to be honest still not sure what ole is trying to do with this squad, need to pick a style we want to produce and go for managers with that and buy players accordingly,

ash_86

How many good efficient windows did we have under Fergue and multiple owners in the past? People moan about everything nowadays. It's not like it's the first time we didn't get our top priority...
We aren't getting fegie back , so whats the point discussing how it was back then. The man could win the league with 11 blocks of wood.

There is lot of levels between Sancho who's our top priority and Pellistri. Going from one to other is just absurd no offence to Pellistri and doesn't fill us in confidence exactly.

Enigma_87

You know who
We aren't getting fegie back , so whats the point discussing how it was back then. The man could win the league with 11 blocks of wood.

There is lot of levels between Sancho who's our top priority and Pellistri. Going from one to other is just absurd no offence to Pellistri and doesn't fill us in confidence exactly.
That's besides the point. How many times Fergie wanted a player badly and the board didn't deliver? How many Kleberson's, Djemba x2, Miller's and the likes he had to work with as a plan B? It's part of the game and part of the job for every manager.

We had many worse summers than this under Fergie, and we had a lot of moaners back then too. Remember when we replaced Cristiano with Valencia and Owen?

If you can't work around your targets and get a 270m worth of players to perform - out you go and comes another one in who can do better. That's part of the game.

big rons sovereign

How about someone that is spoken of highly for their work on the training ground by their peers? Work that has shown to manifest itself on match days. Now that would be a good start instead of always going for the most obvious choice. Don't you think?
So, who then? I swear if you say Pochetino I'm gonna scream.

Tel074

You really think the same LVG who complained how we missed out on Muller, Neymar etc didn`t want a CL winner in Di Maria when we practically had zero top wingers? Just because Schneiderlin flopped doesn`t mean he`s not who LVG wanted or is there a better DM we were linked with at the time? He wanted him alongside Bastian and he got them. Whatever way you look at it LVG spent 250m in 2 windows and a lot of his "signings" flopped hard managers don`t have a gun pointed to their heads and told "We`re signing this player whether you like it or not" there is ALWAYS dialogue and all these signings are approved by managers including this summer`s transfers.
As for Ole yes he wasn`t fully backed at least a CB should have come in in place of Sancho who was understandably expensive during a pandemic but naive to think VDB wasn`t a priority Ole himself called him and VDB confirmed this and he was gotten beacuse Villa wanted 80m(!!!!) for Grealish I dont see how thats a bad decision. Telles was probably signed in place of a CB cause bar Upamecano the CB market this year is vastly overpriced but he was the best LB in the Portuguese league and Shaw is our ONLY left footed LB no manager would say no to Telles
He quite clearly didn't want Di Maria because he stopped playing him after a short period of time . Like I said yes we have spent money but alot of it has been spent on exactly what we didn't want or need . We keep blaming the managers for the recruitment but for me there is one common thing with each of the managers we have had and that's Ed.

Havak

Pokemon master
The problem is they are backed 'to a point'.

We know that we need a top right winger and CB for this team to be able to challenge.

Don't get them, don't challenge.

That seems pretty simple to me, it is a case of how you are backed, in terms of quality and actual requirements of your team, not necessarily an overall spend.

Our managers tend to get 'backed' for two years, get to a point where you think we can push on, then don't get backed any further at the most crucial turn.

RkkMan

Its Pellistri and Traore BTW and you can`t really blame Utd for not wanting to part with 108m up front on one player during a pandemic TBF and a question if not Sancho who then? The players below Sancho`s tier all have serious question marks around them
Dembele- Injury prone
Sarr- Not good enough
Chiesa- Inconsistent and Italian players rarely do well in the PL
Costa- Injury prone, old and not good enough
Perisic- Old, not quite good enough and a LW not a RW
Best thing to do is go for players a level lower who can be the "Next Sancho" and snap them before they become 100m players. Its a gamble but its the sort of gamble Bayern took with Alphonso Davies, us with Chicharito, City with Jesus, Madrid with Vinicius, BVB with Sancho etc and they all paid dividends. I don`t know much of Pellistri(then again I`m sure Arsenal fans knew little about Martinelli when they signed him but they all love him now) but Traore seems like a genuine talent otherwise he wouldn`t have come with such a huge fee.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Ole's already had a netspend of 200m and he's getting his targets . By Klopp's second full season his net spend was on the negative side.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

We know that we need a top right winger and CB for this team to be able to challenge.

That seems pretty simple to me, it is a case of how you are backed, in terms of quality and actual requirements of your team, not necessarily an overall spend.

Our managers tend to get 'backed' for two years, get to a point where you think we can push on, then don't get backed any further at the most crucial turn.
That's because our managers spend money like drunken sailors during their first two seasons and seem to think that money grows on trees. No club spending big year after year.

L1nk

We spent 80m on Maguire and what was it, like 50m on AWB, our defense, in theory, should be sorted, i can see why they don't want to buy a new CD every season, there comes a point where the manager has to actually improve what he has, if you spent 80m on a defender whether he was worth it or not, only to see the player somehow get worse since you've bought him, i'd be asking serious questions as to how this has happened and why i should continue to keep buying CD when the good ones we do buy seemingly go to absolute shit not long after.

Tel074

still cant understand anyone who thinks the managers ain't backed here with maybe the exception of Moyes, No manager in history has ever got all the players he wanted in, you get on with it, ultimalte problem we have with the squad is there from different managers who all play different styles of football and to be honest still not sure what ole is trying to do with this squad, need to pick a style we want to produce and go for managers with that and buy players accordingly,

Klopp needed a CB and a keeper they broke the transfer record for both . Ole needed a CB a RM and a DM and a striker .
We got an attacking midfielder we got a striker who's been unwanted for 3 months and 2 completely unproven kids . That's not backing your manager

Siorac

He quite clearly didn't want Di Maria because he stopped playing him after a short period of time . Like I said yes we have spent money but alot of it has been spent on exactly what we didn't want or need . We keep blaming the managers for the recruitment but for me there is one common thing with each of the managers we have had and that's Ed.
Di María started 12 league games in a row after he had been signed. Then he got injured so in December he was limited to a few substitute appearances and then started another eight league games in a row from January 11.

Van Gaal gave him every chance to come good but it became clear after a while that Di María didn't want to be here.

Posh Red

I mean he name dropped Di Maria in an interview prior to signing him, describing him as a player he would like to sign.

AFC NimbleThumb

how is it their fault all over again?

When we brought in Maguire/AWB/James/Bruno last season everyone was hailing Ole. Now it's Ed + Matt.
Herein lies the issue.

Check the Sanchez/Lakaku threads & OgS disciples will wax lyrical about how he should be praised for weeding out the characters but when a transfer doesn’t happen it’s those above him that get the blame.

If he gets praise for transfers out he has to hold some responsibility for the poor transfers in.

Siorac

Klopp needed a CB and a keeper they broke the transfer record for both . Ole needed a CB a RM and a DM and a striker .
We got an attacking midfielder we got a striker who's been unwanted for 3 months and 2 completely unproven kids . That's not backing your manager
This kind of conveniently glosses over an important fact: that Klopp and Ole both got a CB for a record fee. It's just that Klopp didn't go back the next year to ask for another CB. Because the one he signed turned out to be a brilliant player while ours is Harry Maguire.

Klopp also wanted Brandt but they didn't break any records for him. Instead they got him Salah and well, that turned out OK.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Di María started 12 league games in a row after he had been signed. Then he got injured so in December he was limited to a few substitute appearances and then started another eight league games in a row from January 11.

Van Gaal gave him every chance to come good but it became clear after a while that Di María doesn't want to be here.
Di Maria lost his place after his ridiculous red card against Spurs which was at the end at the of the season. Before that he was a starter outside of injuries.

Murray3007

ole needed a CB last summer and we broke the record for him, we cant just keep breaking records, ole needs more then that but we were never linked to a DM at anypoint add in his CB we were linked to was Ake, who for me is no better then what we have, the other CB signed a new contract early in the window, cant remember his name and really the Sancho deal during a global pandemic was always going to be difficult, he should have switched targets a lot sooner rather then try to sign Dembele on deadline day,

Greck

We got 2 right wingers and a striker, we just didn't get the ones you liked. Three players you didn't even give a chance before writing off. Also I'm seeing a lot of positions that seem like your opinion, did Ole actually ask for a DM or is this what you think he should want? CB as well, we need a CB so soon because they made the mistake of backing him to the tune of 80m on Maguire

Tel074

This kind of conveniently glosses over an important fact: that Klopp and Ole both got a CB for a record fee. It's just that Klopp didn't go back the next year to ask for another CB. Because the one he signed turned out to be a brilliant player while ours is Harry Maguire.

Klopp also wanted Brandt but they didn't break any records for him. Instead they got him Salah and well, that turned out OK.
Exactly. They got him Salah while we sign Kids . I'm not saying Ole can't have blame for the lack of coaching because he has but the people above him haven't a single clue what they are doing so we are left with another mess of a transfer window

Maticmaker

Manchester United is and has been for sometime now, a multi-Billon£ industry and its run like one, hence the bottom line is always in focus!
Football Managers are appointed and backed with cash, no doubt about it, the figures don't lie...but there are strings attached to that cash that are deftly pulled by the board via the CEO.
Until the fans (most unlikely), and/or the sponsors (again unlikely), or anyone else can influence the 'bottom line' then nothing will changed... except perhaps if someone makes an offer the owners 'cannot refuse'.

Given that our USA based owners are pushing for this 'Big Picture Project' with Liverpool's owners (who are also American based), then it does not look like they are going anywhere soon... unless this big picture thing fails???

RkkMan

Klopp wanted Texeira and Fekir badly got none wanted Werner settled for Jota wanted Gotze and Brandt got Mane and Salah missing out on first choices doesn`t just happen at Utd you know. And Ole broke the world record fee for a CB too as well as making AWB one of the most expensive full backs and got Bruno in January a total outlay of close to 200m excluding James.
And where did you hear Ole wanted a DM? Is that an assumption you made cause its an area of weakness or did you ever hear anyone close to Utd say we want a DM? We were barely linked with any cause it was not a position we looked at now maybe 2021 for this year priority was a CAM and we got VDB in place of a hugely overpriced Grealish at 80m which is clever
A CB yes we should have gotten Upamecano when his clause was active early in the window no excuse there
At RW we literally got Pellistri and Diallo for 50m combined they`re kids yes but if you cant get a superstar like Sancho(and no team during a pandemic will pay 108m up front) best to get the "Next Sancho" than perennial plan Bs like Dembele and Sarr

Betson

There is no doubt that the managers by and large have been backed in terms of spending ,. the issue is how we have wasted much of that investment in the squad and after hundreds of millions of spend we still end up with a very average squad that is very likely to be 30 odd pts off the top again this season and scrambling for top 4.

Tel074

We got 2 right wingers and a striker, we just didn't get the ones you liked. Three players you didn't even give a chance before writing off. Also I'm seeing a lot of positions that seem like your opinion, did Ole actually ask for a DM or is this what you think he should want? CB as well, we need a CB so soon because they made the mistake of backing him to the tune of 80m on Maguire
Sorry I thought that's what we do on here ? I just read we couldn't get Grealish because Villa wanted 80 mil I read Ole wanted a CB over a LB . We don't know and we only can give our opinions on how we see things at the club .
And like I said before Maguire was signed by Ed and co the amount of money is down to them not the manager so I wish people would stop pinning the price tag on the manager .

Tel074

Klopp wanted Texeira and Fekir badly got none wanted Werner settled for Jota wanted Gotze and Brandt got Mane and Salah missing out on first choices doesn`t just happen at Utd you know. And Ole broke the world record fee for a CB too as well as making AWB one of the most expensive full backs and got Bruno in January a total outlay of close to 200m excluding James.
And where did you hear Ole wanted a DM? Is that an assumption you made cause its an area of weakness or did you ever hear anyone close to Utd say we want a DM? We were barely linked with any cause it was not a position we looked at now maybe 2021 for this year priority was a CAM and we got VDB in place of a hugely overpriced Grealish at 80m which is clever
A CB yes we should have gotten Upamecano when his clause was active early in the window no excuse there
At RW we literally got Pellistri and Diallo for 50m combined they`re kids yes but if you cant get a superstar like Sancho(and no team during a pandemic will pay 108m up front) best to get the "Next Sancho" than perennial plan Bs like Dembele and Sarr
Ole broke nothing the club broke the transfer record ffs. Pool got ready made replacements for what you think were the apparent targets we got 2 kids who will both be under unbelievable pressure to perform as soon as they start playing .
Let's hope they are superstars but 50 million for 2 18 year olds with hardly any first team experience is ludicrous

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
We have so many different problems that aren't mutually exclusive.

- The manager is not a good for a club of united's stature.
- The manager has not been backed properly, and the transfer strategy is non-existant
- The board's sense of urgency to get the club back to where it belongs is non-existant

Its all one big snafu i tell you

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
So you think a DOF would make them pay 50m for a 29yr old Alderweireld, 50m on a 28yr old Perisic who`s never hit double figures in goals and assists at the same time, over 100m on Koulibaly who even City felt was overpriced or 70m on Willian/swap with Martial??
No, that's ridiculous. You hire a DOF who understands the style the team wants to play, he helps recruit managers in that vein and identifies players in that mould, he can easily be told to focus younger players still

jamesjimmybyrondean

Exactly. They got him Salah while we sign Kids . I'm not saying Ole can't have blame for the lack of coaching because he has but the people above him haven't a single clue what they are doing so we are left with another mess of a transfer window
The club does not want to spend much money on a right winger as that would mean no more Sancho who is Ole's targets. It's why we went for loan deals but couldn't secure them

Tel074

The club does not want to spend much money on a right winger as that would mean no more Sancho who is Ole's targets. It's why we went for loan deals but couldn't secure them
But we spent around 50 million on 2 kids who can play RW ?

jamesjimmybyrondean

29m. Which would rise if certain targets are met. Which is probably a good thing. Also would you have preferred if the club forgot about Sancho and didn't buy the two kids and just spent 40-60m on another right winger instead

Last edited:

Siorac

We paid €30m for the two of them. The rest are potential add-ons.
Ole broke nothing the club broke the transfer record ffs.
A meaningless distinction. The manager could have said "no, I don't want Maguire, get me a cheaper CB with pace". Also, do you credit Ed with Bruno? If we praise the manager for good signings, he has to take some responsibility for poor signings.

Murray3007

Sorry I thought that's what we do on here ? I just read we couldn't get Grealish because Villa wanted 80 mil I read Ole wanted a CB over a LB . We don't know and we only can give our opinions on how we see things at the club .
And like I said before Maguire was signed by Ed and co the amount of money is down to them not the manager so I wish people would stop pinning the price tag on the manager .
not sure it works exactly like that, surely managers will be told you have so much budget every summer, and will tell the board what type of fee they would be willing to pay for them, if just for instance ole was desperate for Dan James and they wanted 50m theres no way Ole is going to say yes lets get it done, and take away from his other targets

jamesjimmybyrondean

We paid €30m for the two of them. The rest are potential add-ons.

A meaningless distinction. The manager could have said "no, I don't want Maguire, get me a cheaper CB with pace". Also, do you credit Ed with Bruno? If we praise the manager for good signings, he has to take some responsibility for poor signings.
Or he could have said "no I don't want Maguire, he's too expensive and will slash the budget in half so I wouldn't be able to get AM or striker"

Amir

We have been tracking Sancho for best part of 6 months and the entire time his price was constant at 120m Euros. If we could not afford him, then why were we trying for him till the last week of the window and panic sign couple of unknown RW during the deadline day. The club knew Sancho's fee and if it wasn't feasble , they coul've said firm No to the manager when the request was made. I see a trend here of our board promising managers about transfers and then back out at the last moment. LVG said the same about our board.
Who said he was 'promised' we'll get Sancho? I'm sure he was promised we'll try, but as for getting him - no one could promise that. I'm sure we did try, and hope/believed Dortmund would lower their fee. They didn't and we found ourselves without a real option B.

I don't know what happened. If I had to guess, Solskjaer felt Sancho ticked all boxes and was his only target. The late Dembele loan offer hints we wanted someone for that position short term because we are still intent on trying for Sancho in the next windows.