Our midfield: do we have the right balance and if not what type of player(s) should we be looking for?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
We need one player who can play both single pivot in 4-3-3 or one of two man midfield in 4-2-3-1. So defensive minded box to box player with good long range passing, strong enough to hold his ground.

So basically a better version of McTominay, or we can invest in Scott and see how it works works out.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I think a Matic/Carrick replacement is basically what we need for our midfield. Preferably someone who has got a bit of pace, muscle and defensive ability to go with playmaking capabilities from deep. That type of player could partner up with Fred at times, VDB at times, and maybe even unleash the best of McTominay in certain games too. A good playmaker from deep could give our attack more freedom and contribute to more consistency by having more of a steady shape due to that players abilities. Also our defence would have someone to screen in front successfully when we defend deep. The right signing in this position would be great for the balance of our team.

mancave bear

We need a world class CDM. Than we can play with one CDM instead of two DM, and we can field one more offensive minded player. This will make us a much better attacking side. It allso would help a lot with a fast world class left centerback. I think this is the two singel most importen positions to upgrade.

Champagne Football

Kalvin Phillips would fit like a glove but I doubt Leeds would ever sell to us. But if we could get 50 million for Pogba, then replacing him with Phillips would take our midfield to another level, with a midfield 3 of Bruno, Phillips and Van de Beek in most games but Fred and McT to come in when we play very tough away games.

Buffalo Bills

Kalvin Phillips would fit like a glove but I doubt Leeds would ever sell to us. But if we could get 50 million for Pogba, then replacing him with Phillips would take our midfield to another level, with a midfield 3 of Bruno, Phillips and Van de Beek in most games but Fred and McT to come in when we play very tough away games.
Totally agree. Phillips looks excellent. Great energy and good use of the ball

Walters_19_MuFc

Good shout. I like him.