Our Midfield

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think in terms of Fellaini, we just replace him with the squad. McTominay gets a bigger role, Pereira gets a bigger role and that's that. McTominay should essentially get Matic's role, with Matic having a backup role, and Garner 3rd for that spot behind them. Pogba 1st next to them, fred his back up, Pereira 3rd backup. The same for #10. Lingard 1st, Mata 2nd, Gomes 3rd.

I understand what the thinking is, and I'm not too worried in terms of numbers, it's just that the likes of Matic, Mata and Pereira are nowhere near good enough while there's question marks over some of the others.
McTominay’s shown promise but that’s still a lot of pressure on him to expect him to step up and cover for the absence of Hererra and Fellaini. Never mind Matic’s waning abilities.

Pereira just isn’t good enough. He has never once looked like a competent CM, so why will this suddenly change now?

There’s just no way of spinning our CM options that makes us look anything other than screwed in the season ahead. It’s all very odd.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Why do people include Pereira as a midfield option? He's shown he's absolutely woeful as a centre mid. He can play as a #10 but he's an absolute liability in midfield.

We have Pogba, Matic, McTominay and Fred. This midfield is supposed to last 50-60 games, two games a week. The feck...

MUFC OK

We're going to be overrun and dominated in the middle of the field every week. It's a good thing we have strengthened the defence, because it is going to have to withstand a lot of pressure.
Its going to be embarrassing. Theres nothing more frustrating than being dominated in midfield, especially when chasing a game.

PL teams with a stronger midfield than us:

City
Liverpool
Tottenham
Chelsea
Arsenal (just)
Leicester
Wolves
Everton

Take Pogba out (possible in event of injury) and you can add:
West Ham
Watford

This is where we are. It's unacceptable.

Name Changed

weso26
Our midfield is a disgrace. To be fair if Solskjaer isn't absolutely demanding reinforcements immediately then he should and will be sacked before Xmas. We will get totally overrun.

Pogba can be great if he's bothered but isn't most of the time. Matic is waning, so much so that I wouldn't start him against anyone decent. Fred can't pass the ball ten yards. McTominay is improving but he has a long way to go. Pereira should be backup at most.

We should have bought two midfielders. We shouldn't be hoping that we might buy one.

Name Changed

weso26
Its going to be embarrassing. Theres nothing more frustrating than being dominated in midfield, especially when chasing a game.

City
Liverpool
Tottenham
Chelsea
Arsenal (just)
Leicester
Wolves
Everton
I would say that barring Arsenal, those teams have far stronger midfields than we do. Wolves & Everton proved it last season and we have gotten significantly weaker.

Reiver

I'm usually quite optimistic but I am worried about the midfield. We're not good at keeping possession and lose the midfield battle more often than not. I understand prioritising the defence but we needed one player in minimum. If there were young players knocking on the door of the first team, like in attack, I'd be fine with that but are there any?
We're that short on numbers, if we get hit with injuries/suspensions, I can see the likes of Jones or Rojo having to step in. I hope not. There's a day to go, I'm still hopeful Ed can pull something out of the bag.

Ace of Spades

I am more worried about the 10. position than our two CMs who will be at the base of our midfield (apart from Matic). I think the players we have are decent enough as a base for our attackers, but the AM will have a lot more responsibility to create and none of Mata and Lingard are good enough to do that regularly.

MUFC OK

I would say that barring Arsenal, those teams have far stronger midfields than we do. Wolves & Everton proved it last season and we have gotten significantly weaker.
It really is unbelievable levels of negligence to go into what could be a 60 game season (EL) with our current midfield selection. We are so behind the curve, and are addressing last summer's issues with the defence this summer.

I'm so desperate for us to sign a technically proficient midfielder, with mobility and the ability to keep the ball under pressure. Having watched him last season Bentancur is the absolute ideal player for out current needs, yet he wasn't even mentioned in discussions with Juve.

It's next summers issue now, what a joke.

Nialinho

McTominay’s shown promise but that’s still a lot of pressure on him to expect him to step up and cover for the absence of Hererra and Fellaini. Never mind Matic’s waning abilities.

Pereira just isn’t good enough. He has never once looked like a competent CM, so why will this suddenly change now?

There’s just no way of spinning our CM options that makes us look anything other than screwed in the season ahead. It’s all very odd.
I don't think you can write off Pereira just yet, he looked like a massive talent in our youth sides and has shown glimpses of class on his loan spells. He had a shocker last year against Brighton (I think) after a decent game on the opening day and was dropped for what seemed like forever. He's not really been given a proper opportunity to prove himself, he's definitely a more talented footballer than McTominay (not saying he'll turn out better). Considering he's just re-signed our coaches must still rate him.

Why do people include Pereira as a midfield option? He's shown he's absolutely woeful as a centre mid. He can play as a #10 but he's an absolute liability in midfield.

We have Pogba, Matic, McTominay and Fred. This midfield is supposed to last 50-60 games, two games a week. The feck...
Probably because there's so little options :lol:

To be fair he's got a decent engine on him, can pass and doesn't shy away from a challenge but postionally struggles so will likely be used in the three behind the striker like he has on preseason.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I think the club have high hopes for Gomes, Garner, possibly Levitt, so bringing in a midfield player would seriously hinder their progress. The only player I can see that would fit in with our needs, and would only be around for two or three seasons would be Matuidi. Also is left footed, and could slot straight in. I know he is around 33, and doesn't conform to the buy young and develop philosophy, but he still looks fit, and would not break the bank.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don't think you can write off Pereira just yet, he looked like a massive talent in our youth sides and has shown glimpses of class on his loan spells. He had a shocker last year against Brighton (I think) after a decent game on the opening day and was dropped for what seemed like forever. He's not really been given a proper opportunity to prove himself, he's definitely a more talented footballer than McTominay (not saying he'll turn out better). Considering he's just re-signed our coaches must still rate him.

Probably because there's so little options :lol:

To be fair he's got a decent engine on him, can pass and doesn't shy away from a challenge but postionally struggles so will likely be used in the three behind the striker like he has on preseason.
A player who struggles positionally is a liability in midfield. He’s aggressive but he can’t challenge without fouling. And he’s not strong in holding off challenges. It’s a no-go really.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think the club have high hopes for Gomes, Garner, possibly Levitt, so bringing in a midfield player would seriously hinder their progress. The only player I can see that would fit in with our needs, and would only be around for two or three seasons would be Matuidi. Also is left footed, and could slot straight in. I know he is around 33, and doesn't conform to the buy young and develop philosophy, but he still looks fit, and would not break the bank.
He's finished.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

We've got Garner, Hannibal, Levitt, and some other random kid.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
We've got Garner, Hannibal, Levitt, and some other random kid.
And I’ve asked many times about Garner on here and people say he’s not ready. Got all of 15-20mins in pre-season.

Dolf

I think options 1, 2 and 7 are probably best.

----- Gomes -----
Pogba ----- Mctom

Pogba ----- Mctom
------- Matic -------

Pogba ----- Fred
------ Mctom ------

Pogba ----- Fred
------- Matic -----

Pogba -- Mctom -- Lingard -- Mata

Pogba - Mctom - Fred - Lingard

Pogba ---- Mctom
------ Fred -------

Stacks

Et tu, Pogue? The optimist? this when you know it's bad

City
Liverpool
Tottenham
Chelsea
Arsenal (just)
Leicester
Wolves
Everton

Take Pogba out (possible in event of injury) and you can add:
West Ham
Watford

This is where we are. It's unacceptable.
Makes me livid when getting dominated by mid table teams in midfield. Not befitting of a supposed "top club". I remember the Wolves game late on and when they equalised we were done. Then got dominated at home by the Hammers, Watford, Everton, bascially everyone we faced. It's proper embarrassing.

Our midfield is a disgrace. To be fair if Solskjaer isn't absolutely demanding reinforcements immediately then he should and will be sacked before Xmas. We will get totally overrun.

Pogba can be great if he's bothered but isn't most of the time. Matic is waning, so much so that I wouldn't start him against anyone decent. Fred can't pass the ball ten yards. McTominay is improving but he has a long way to go. Pereira should be backup at most.

We should have bought two midfielders. We shouldn't be hoping that we might buy one.
I cannot see any other option than us being overrun.

I'm usually quite optimistic but I am worried about the midfield. We're not good at keeping possession and lose the midfield battle more often than not. I understand prioritising the defence but we needed one player in minimum. If there were young players knocking on the door of the first team, like in attack, I'd be fine with that but are there any?
We're that short on numbers, if we get hit with injuries/suspensions, I can see the likes of Jones or Rojo having to step in. I hope not. There's a day to go, I'm still hopeful Ed can pull something out of the bag.
The crazy thing is we added defenders and haven't moved on ANY of the deadwood in defence or midfield to raise any funds. just have new contracts. It's all well and good getting fitter and pressing but you need basic quality to play certain ways.

Yes, putting all our hopes on unproven academy players "The United Way" apparently. Let's not sign quality players just in case......United first team is not a youth development centre. The young players need to be eased in to prove themselves. cannot simply be relying on them.

Fıstıkçı Şahap

Hold on....

Those complaining about our midfield are REALLY missing the point of an awful lot of what Ole Gunnar is doing here at Manchester United.

Yes, we've lost Felliani and Herrera in recent months - which looks as if (if you play the game on paper) that we just lost two central midfielders...but those complaining mustn't be watching games. If you watched the games you will have noticed that we have also lost one midfield position in our set up.

Listen;

For anybody who studied Ole's approach last season and in pre-season (which is a slightly tweaked version of last season) you will have noticed that Ole plays with only TWO central midfield players. Not three, like Jose did, or LvG did or even Moyes did. TWO.

We line up like this now:

..................GK...........................
...........RCB......LCB....................
RB.....................................LB.
............CM6.................................
..........................CM8...................
.................AM10.........................
RF...................................LF
..................CF...........................

So... Ole has relinquished one midfield position so he can implement a no.10.

And although y'all complaining that we lost Felliani and we lost Herrera; what you are failing to realise is that we have now gained a position in which numerous players that we have been playing out of position can now play in.. so we are gaining options in that attacking midfield area.

See that AM10 position?

Well.. within that, these players can feature there: Sanchez (its where he has always played his best football - not wide left where we have been trying to fit him in.), Mata (it's where he has always played his best football - not wide right where we have been trying to fit him in), Lingard (it's where he has always played his best football - not wide right where we have been trying to fit him in. Pereira (his best position), Gomes (his best position).

Think of that.. we have ONE AM10 position to fill - and we have these options to play there:
Alexis Sanchez (player of the year at Arsenal in that position - proven in the Prem League)
Juan Mata (player of the year at Chelsea twice in that position - proven in the Prem League)
Jesse Lingard (excellent in this position for England and always effective when played here coming through the ranks)
Andreas Pereira (played here coming up through the ranks, largely thought of in this position, has played for BRAZIL in this position)
Angel Gomes (along with Paul Pogba, the best young talent I have ever seen coming through United's academy)

That's a bloody insane amount of options for one attacking midfield position.. no other club in world football can boast that kinda depth. And what's GREAT about it is, we will get to see Alexis Sanchez and Juan Mata operate in their favoured position.. where they shine. Now, I'm no fortune teller and I can't guarantee that Sanchez will rewind the clock and become a world great again.. but Jesus... he has to be given a chance in this role, where conceivably he could shine. We are finally gonna put two of the best talents we have bought post Fergie into a position they play their best ball in. Folk who are complaining that we lost Felliani and Herrera have failed to have realised that.

Because we have now adopted this two midfielders and one number 10 position - it enables us to bring many players into a central position who we have been playing out wide.

As a result, our midfield options grow. They haven't decreased. They have grown.

It does mean, of course, that the two midfield positions (CM6 and CM8) will be filled by two of Pogba (arguably best No.8 in the world), McTominay (our best player under Ole from Dec-May; our best player in pre-season and my tip to be our player of the year this season), Fred (GREAT cover for No.8 if Pogba needs resting or gets injured (still needs to improve but this position is his best), Matic (I believe his peak is gone but I like the fact that he will give McT rest during Europa/League Cup and can captain that young side and will do a very decent job for this season as cover for McT), Pereira (can and has played 6, 8, 10 - while I feel 10 is his best position, he can operate really well as a 6 and has done - so is decent cover as 6 and 8), Garner (a future great IMO; this season may have come a bit early for him, though I hope he features in 10-12 games).

So our options for those two positions are sound, though I do think in an ideal world Ole would have likened to have bought one of these two players: Declan Rice or Sean Longstaff. But West Ham or Newcastle weren't willing to sell unless for crazy money and it wasn't a massive priority given that we have lots of options for these positions. If McT doesn't step up and become the great holding midfielder I think he can be; then maybe we will see Longstaff or Rice as a value £60m buy next summer. Or maybe we will buy one of them anyway because Matic will have proven to be at the end (I think this is hugely likely).

Either way; this is a rebuild and will take time.

But stop playing the game on paper. Just because we lost two midfielders who used to operate in our midfield three doesn't mean we are down on numbers for that position, especially when our manager has reduced the number of midfield options within the XI.

Instead of playing the game on paper, WATCH the bloody game. If you did, you will have noticed the change in formation and will have twigged that we can now bring in a number of players who have been playing wide for us for years into a more central position that suits them.

If you include CM6, CM8 and AM10 as three positions - then we have NINE options for those three positions. And those nine options are perfectly balanced in terms of positioning AND in terns of experience v youth. We are WELL BALANCED in midfield.
What a way to delude yourself. Yeah, we have Mata as a No. 10 so our midfield will be full of bite, pace and physicality when he presses the opponent like a mad dog :rolleyes:

Let's also pretend that decreasing the number of midfielders in our formation doesn't weaken the team in that area. You should count our 10s as a part of the attack not midfield. We needed reinforcements for midfield even when we had Fellaini & Herrera. The reality is we lost 2 midfielders and haven't replaced them. No amount of revisionism is gonna change that.

Nialinho

With us looking at Longstaff and Lemina, a CM must have been on the agenda this summer. Perhaps Ed will cough up for Longstaff now we've got Maguire as it seemed like he was a top target and Sky Sports reported we hadn't given up on him not so long ago.

MUFC OK

Makes me livid when getting dominated by mid table teams in midfield. Not befitting of a supposed "top club". I remember the Wolves game late on and when they equalised we were done. Then got dominated at home by the Hammers, Watford, Everton, bascially everyone we faced. It's proper embarrassing.
Agree mate. The amount of times last season where we desperately needed a goal and couldn't even get our foot on the ball was awful to see. This is why matches simply drift away from us, think the games where we are chasing and barely muster up a chance.

The united of old would at least be piling on the pressure in the final stages. Expect more and more "Ole's" in the dying minutes of matches this season while we fail to create anything. As you say, acceptable against Barca/Juve, not so much against Wolves.

LeftyBlaster

With us looking at Longstaff and Lemina, a CM must have been on the agenda this summer. Perhaps Ed will cough up for Longstaff now we've got Maguire as it seemed like he was a top target and Sky Sports reported we hadn't given up on him not so long ago.
Does anyone really know anything about Longstaff? We need proven quality now, not a hopeful youngster.

MUFC OK

Does anyone really know anything about Longstaff? We need proven quality now, not a hopeful youngster.
It's part of Ole's fantasy. He has some similar traits to Carrick and that's basically where our reasons for chasing him start and end.

The class of 19 are the class of 92, Maguire is Ferdinand, James is Giggs etc. This is literally our thought process and transfer strategy I believe.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It's part of Ole's fantasy. He has some similar traits to Carrick and that's basically where our reasons for chasing him start and end.

The class of 19 are the class of 92, Maguire is Ferdinand, James is Giggs etc. This is literally our thought process and transfer strategy I believe.
They're both Geordie's?

Roboc7

Gomes, Garner and Levitt will hardly get a game so it’s being very generous to try and excuse what is going on at the club. Not signing players is a lack of ambition or incompetence simple as that, if wanted space for youngsters then Mata and Perreira should have been released to make way for new signings.

Our midfield looks weaker than season so we’ll be regularly outplayed by teams home and away.

Nialinho

Newcastle fans rave about him, he looked very impressive when he got into their side and was a boss in their win against City. He's obviously not got tonnes of PL experience but he's caught our eye and we've apparently had glowing reports about him. We probably saw him as a similar, big potential sort of signing to James until Mike Ashley gave him a ridiculous price tag. From what I've seen he'd an upgrade on Matic immediately, I'd definitely take him over no one.

Bit harsh, he's looking to the future and making a conscious effort to get the right sort of characters for the club after the sh*tshow of transfers we've made in recent years. I think having a core of quality British talent who will give everything for the club isn't a bad thing. The reality is that we aren't as attractive as we used to be and can't convince the best players to join in our current state without showering them with money.

SteveW

It's a huge concern. Pogba and Scott are the only ones out of that 4 who should be anywhere near a United midfield. There's not even any youngsters knocking on the door to play there this season. It's just a gaping hole.

They are linked to every number 10 going but no sign of them signing an actual CM. What the hell are they thinking? We don't even need a 10 with Gomes coming through.

If McTomminay or Pogba get injuries we might as well just pack it in.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Was just thinking the same, was waiting for @Pogue Mahone to go all contrarian and tell us we’re all over-reacting in here.
In the interest of balance it’s worth pointing out that most of the caf seems to be simultaneously belly-aching about a lack of resources in central midfield and a lack of opportunities for Gomes. Which doesn’t really compute.

SteveW

In the interest of balance it’s worth pointing out that most of the caf seems to be simultaneously belly-aching about a lack of resources in central midfield and a lack of opportunities for Gomes. Which doesn’t really compute.
To be fair it's more defensive midfielders we are lacking. Gomes is fine as an 8 or 10 but he won't fill the gap if Scott or Pogba get injured for the deeper positions.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'd love to see Gomes own the left wing (in a 4231) with Martial and Rashford rotating up top.

@SteveW
Yes, but with Eriksen, I thought we could play him and Pogba in a 433 by shoehorning McTominay into DM when Matic is not playing. At least that way, you have two extremely capable outlets in midfield and all the onus isn't just on Pogba. But yes, I would love an actual midfielder who can carry the ball, technically good under pressure and a good passer. That should have been our main aim alongside a ball playing centre back this summer.

Zeno

2019/20 midfield is much stronger than last year’s version.

Effectively we have 4 options for 2 (or sometimes 3) places:
- McTom is signifcantly better than this time last year - like a new signing.
- Last summer Pogba was in a difficult position with the manager and there was uncertainty about his future. He now has clarity about an exit.
- Fred is like a new 50m midfield signing. He did not get a chance to settle in the team last year.
- In reserve we have Matic, clearly limited, but no longer taking the pressure of automatic starter.

In addition we have a better defense that will have the energy and ability to support the midfield.

Fellaini, with respect, is not a loss to this position. Herrera is a terrific player but we know his limitations and he was never going to bring us to the next level. I would sooner give the opportunity to McTominay.

The problem area remains the link between midfield and attack - we cannot rely on Pogba alone. Currently we have Lingard, Mata and Pereira. Lingard needs his best season ever.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Pereira isnt good enough but as an actual center mid I'd say there's not much difference between what him and Fellaini can provide. Trouble if either had to start that far deep basically. A change of system is part of it, but it does very much seem like McTominay is just going to be the one to step up and become our starting defensive mid next to Pogba. Far from ideal, not trying to spin it otherwise, but not the end of the world and I definitely don't think we need 2 mids. Ideally we would let Matic go, get a proper holding mid in to start, have McTominay as the first mid off the bench then I'd be comfortable with the midfielders. As it is, definite concerns, but could work out.

SteveW

I'd love to see Gomes own the left wing (in a 4231) with Martial and Rashford rotating up top.

@SteveW
Yes, but with Eriksen, I thought we could play him and Pogba in a 433 by shoehorning McTominay into DM when Matic is not playing. At least that way, you have two extremely capable outlets in midfield and all the onus isn't just on Pogba. But yes, I would love an actual midfielder who can carry the ball, technically good under pressure and a good passer. That should have been our main aim alongside a ball playing centre back this summer.
That would be a great midfield.

The issue people have been missing all summer is squad depth though. We can just about field a good midfield right now. A couple of injuries and we're depending on Fred and Matic.

AneRu

Utterly ridiculous to go into the season with McTominay and Pogba as our only serviceable midfield options, Matic shouldn't count as anyone with a bit of football intelligence can see that he is done at this level and Fred has several rungs of improvement to climb before he becomes a genuine option. We are taking a massive gamble which has the potential to hurt us and considering the damage we have endured from last season's failure a repeat episode will confirm us as a joke has been club and accelerate our decline. Sad.

Pearson

This demanding for midfielders reminds me of the time when we were so craving for a defensive midfielder to fill the hole after Kean left United. Fergie was so adamant not to go into market to get one, citing there was no one like Bryan Robson or Roy Keane.
Maybe Ole could solve the issue in his own way.

Beaucoup

Its probably not a bad thing we aren't signing any midfielders, it'll give the next manager the chance to sign the players he wants next summer.

MUFC OK

They're both Geordie's?
longstaff has a good passing range off either foot, is gangly, breaks up play and has composure. There's quite a few similarities. Unfortunately like united teams of old we do not have the ready made proven star quality that you need to be competitive. where are the leaders, the winners etc?