Our most important player this season: Fred?

ReddBalls

Definitely one of the most important players, and there were really encouraging signs of an understanding between Fred and Fernandes against Chelsea.

Adamsk7

Fred is the first name on the team sheet for me currently and would be my player of the season. You could argue Rashford or McT too but Fred has played virtually every game. Guy is a machine.

Hammondo

Hes stepped up so much, I really want to see the midfield 3 of fred, mctominay, and bruno.

Son

Fred is the best player we have alongside Rashford this season. Last time I said that about a defensive midfielder it was probably Carrick nearly 10 years ago!

Can’t be many players around with his energy and drive atm. We didn’t sign Kante but we got the next best thing a few years down the line it seems.

manutddjw

I’d say so. I’d shutter to think where we’d be if Fred was as bad as he was our first season. With McTominay getting injured and Pogba doing whatever it is he’s doing, Fred had to step up and he has. If Rashford doesn’t return this season, he’s our player of the year.

Son

He's stepped up to about a £30 million player, when he can actually learn to strike a football correctly and score afew then he will be worth £60 million we spent on him.

People on here acting like he's become Seedorf or something. This is the least we can expect of him, this is how every £60 million player should be playing as a minimum.

Shows what a joke club we have become that people raving about Fred because he's now started to look like a footballer rather than a competition winner.
I’m not gonna debate Fred is better than Seedorf because he’s obviously not but Fred has turned out to be a good deal for us.

Seedorf > Pogba which would assume he’d have cost £80 million+ on a long contract in today’s market...

Players like that barely move in today’s market. They wouldn’t be available so Fred is what we have and he’s better than most players we’ve had for 7 years essentially.

Dr Foo

Good call by the OP. We are in an era when players are written off quickly, not even allowing for a season of adaptation. Fortunately most of us are not the one making the decisions, and Fred has taken the opportunity to find his rhythm and form

gza the genius

We'd be be completely screwed without him this season. At the time I agreed with the OP under the provision that I didn't think he'd be one of our best players, just that we needed him to step up if we were going to have any kind of decent season. He's well on course to be our player of the season in my opinion so he's improved and impressed on one of the more optimistic views in this thread.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I was saying all along he showed flashes of what he could do last season and he’d be like a new signing this season once he found his feet. He’s been my favourite player this year due to his improvement . Himself and Rashford have been our best players. McT is a serious operator too. I’m hoping he can get back to his pre injury form asap. Maguire will be a much much better player for us next year too.

Champagne Football

He's absolutely all over the middle of the pitch. Never stops running and tackling. If he could start scoring goals then he'd probably remind me of Essien.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Opened this expecting the thread to be dated some point in the last week. Fair fecks to OP.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Good call by the OP. We are in an era when players are written off quickly, not even allowing for a season of adaptation. Fortunately most of us are not the one making the decisions, and Fred has taken the opportunity to find his rhythm and form
This.

We have idiots/joke for fans -- any excuse for slagging of players and the club in general. Happy as larry when things are going fine. When times are bad, they cant wait to slag off the club like they could run the club or manage the team better. Plastic.
RAWK was delusional but in a pleasant, non-malicious way. Here, we have plastic 'fans'.

ROFLUTION

He's stepped up to about a £30 million player, when he can actually learn to strike a football correctly and score afew then he will be worth £60 million we spent on him.

People on here acting like he's become Seedorf or something. This is the least we can expect of him, this is how every £60 million player should be playing as a minimum.

Shows what a joke club we have become that people raving about Fred because he's now started to look like a footballer rather than a competition winner.
Yeah when a player actually performs to the required level of a Manchester United player, let's bash him! Shall we also complain that Rashford is not peak Van Persie? How about just enjoying a Man Utd player that actually performs stable and on a quite high level?

Looks great and player of the year for me. Think he and Bruno has and will develop a nice understanding. He's definitely a competition winner too. He's shown leader mentality both in his feet and head in big games lately.

superdry

touched by a genius

Your entitled to your opinion mate, but he's stopped us sinking without trace on quite a few occasions. We're paying more and getting less from other players for sure.

Bondi77

Rashford is easily our most important player.
Fred has a good engine but I cannot rate a footballer who cannot shoot a ball properly and his technique is so flawed that when he passes a ball it curls so much inward that it either goes behind the target or goes on to far depending which side he passes to.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Wow! There's some humble pie to be had in this thread.

Brightonian

He's our most important surviving player. One by one Pogba, McTominay and Rashford, any of whom might have been our most important player this season if they hadn't got crocked, have gone down to injury.

So yes, but I think if you take injury out of the equation Rashford is our most important player.

Excellent call by the OP rotherham_red

Despite the team having some very average games you can argue Fred has not disappointed. Definitely demonstrates great work rate, being a team player and leadership qualities - he certainly has stepped up. Fred seems good with both feet as well as displaying as the OP suggested he 'can spring counter attacks with his vision and range of passing'.

Rashford to me was heading to be player of the season and a good shout for McTomminey as well; however that should not dismiss the importance of Fred who may may now become player of the season; particularly if his tenacity, workmanship and form continues. A true team player.

I for one am delighted with what Fred brings to the team.

Again fair play to the OP who highlighted Fred could be so important to us as early as August 2019.

I have a feeling Fred and Bruno can form a great partnership.

buckooo1978

until Christmas Rashford has been the one

Since Christmas and the extended injuries to McTominay and Pogba it's been Fred

as the other night showed and I think the rest of the season will prove Bruno will be the difference maker and our most important influence in winning games

AndersB

Has ever a bold, unconventional, totally-against-the-herd prediction on the Caf done as well as this one? Hats off!

Ekeke

All it took were 3 injuries - Pogba, McTominay and Rashford

AWB and Maguire are still more important

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Good thread @rotherham_red .

Not sure if he is the most important, but he is very important player. Good call at that time.

Yakuza_devils

I can't think of any player having so many MOTM performances in a season after SAF reign.

Fred is the player of the season for man utd by far.