Our next 8 (league) games

Spark

Beyond the fixture pile up (which is extra nuts this year), our fixtures are just downright weird. Palace again, followed by Leeds back to back four days apart in the Prem is unheard of.

Mad to think that next year will be the first year since 2018/2019 that'll be relatively normal.

Havak

Pokemon master
Well, at the moment I feel like we are probably going to end up with something like 14/24 from the OP list. Particularly due to the amount of cup games in and around the league fixtures.

Dominos

The whole point of the thread was to point out how hard the run was
I'm not really sure it's an abnormally hard run.

With Newcastle now in the mix there's now effectively a "big 7" which means 12 games against your rivals across the season, in an evenly distributed fixture list you play one of your rivals around every 3rd game.

Playing 3 of your rivals in the space of 8 games is slightly congested but nothing abnormal considering you never get a perfectly distributed fixture list.

The rest are mainly lower half teams, the fact we were too shit to keep the ball in the 2nd half against Palace is our own problem, we make hard work of nearly every game no matter the level of the opposition because we're just not that good.

cyberman

We really should have a good run in after this. With the way our fixture list ended up we are playing Liverpool in 5 league games time. That’s 8 out of 10 games against last seasons top 5 already played in not much more than the first half of the season.

Ole'sattheWheel

City (H): W
Palace (A): D
Arsenal (A): L
Palace (H): W
Leeds (H): D
Leeds (A): W
Leicester (H): W

14/21 so far.

Brentford got postponed and we squeezed in that leeds game instead.

If we draw at anfield that's 15 points in a horrendous run considering the other comps.
ten hag is at the wheel

eire-red

Yeah true just little annoying we had so much time in Leeds home game to find winner but couldn't
Leeds at home and Palace away feel like such big lost points now. We'd be on 53 and sandwiched in between City and Arsenal. Still within striking distance, but it seems unlikely we can keep this form going and fight on all fronts in the cups too.

croadyman

Leeds at home and Palace away feel like such big lost points now. We'd be on 53 and sandwiched in between City and Arsenal. Still within striking distance, but it seems unlikely we can keep this form going and fight on all fronts in the cups too.
Yeah don't know which was more annoying out of the two,actually will give us a bye for Palace as wonder free-kick and clearly Casa booking affected us. Leeds was at home and had been looking so solid too.

Just gotta hope we haven't got an absolute mountain to climb points wise when we return to league action at Anfield in two weeks time

Last edited:

Teja

Seems like another one of these coming up in the league:

Pool (A)
Southampton (H)
Brighton (A)
Newcastle (A)

Everton (H)
Forest (A)
Chelsea (H)
Spurs (A)

Pool are hitting form again. Brighton are always a giant PITA. Newcastle are pretty good.

On the flip side, reasonable end to the season afterwards.

croadyman

Pool (A)
Southampton (H)
Brighton (A)
Newcastle (A)

Everton (H)
Forest (A)
Chelsea (H)
Spurs (A)

Pool are hitting form again. Brighton are always a giant PITA. Newcastle are pretty good.

Outside of Southampton and Everton at home that is very tough. Forest showed against City what happens if you don't put game to bed. Spurs will be tricky because can be solid like City game there but also opened at will like Arsenal did.

ti vu

Pool (A)
Southampton (H)
Brighton (A)
Newcastle (A)

Everton (H)
Forest (A)
Chelsea (H)
Spurs (A)

With our flawed squad, I don't think there are really easy games in PL with suspension, injuries. Some teams are easier to face, but ultimately it's game by game business. Right now I would have wished to play Chelsea, than Brighton for example. But you never know. Chelsea may raise their games because they have quality in their team.

December_16

I’m with ETH on his view - gotta take one game at a time. We can just easily drop silly points (Leeds H, Palace A) as we can put in-form teams to the sword easily (Leicester H today).

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Newcastle, Liverpool, Brighton and spurs will be our toughest games. Think we’ll take 7-9pts from them games.

croadyman

I’m with ETH on his view - gotta take one game at a time. We can just easily drop silly points (Leeds H, Palace A) as we can put in-form teams to the sword easily (Leicester H today).
Damn win both of those and we are point behind Arsenal,jeez that is proper gutting isn't it

December_16

Damn win both of those and we are point behind Arsenal,jeez that is proper gutting isn't it
Nah we’re not going to win every game, no one really is. No point looking back and feel gutted, much more fun enjoying the present and looking forward to the wins ahead.

croadyman

Nah we’re not going to win every game, no one really is. No point looking back and feel gutted, much more fun enjoying the present and looking forward to the wins ahead.
How far do you think we will be behind Arsenal when kicking off at Anfield

wolvored

Pool (A)
Southampton (H)
Brighton (A)
Newcastle (A)

Everton (H)
Forest (A)
Chelsea (H)
Spurs (A)

After witnessing the progress now, I would fancy us winning the lot, provided we get no key injuries, or red cards. We probably wont, but Im not thinking that games a loss anymore, like I would have done over the last 10 years.

Dan_F

With our flawed squad, I don't think there are really easy games in PL with suspension, injuries. Some teams are easier to face, but ultimately it's game by game business. Right now I would have wished to play Chelsea, than Brighton for example. But you never know. Chelsea may raise their games because they have quality in their team.
Yeah it’s really at a point where there’s very few games that you can class as easy. Still need to be beating the mid table dross like Liverpool to have a chance at the title.

Josh 76

Liverpool’s cancelled fixture against Wolves has been rearranged for the Wednesday, before they play us. It’s the same day Utd play West Ham in the Cup. That should even things out.

I think ETH can make some changes against West Ham and still win the tie.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.

Pool (A)
Southampton (H)
Brighton (A)
Newcastle (A)

Everton (H)
Forest (A)
Chelsea (H)
Spurs (A)

Jesus that’s a tough run of games.

BorisManUtd

Pool (A)
Southampton (H)
Brighton (A)
Newcastle (A)

Everton (H)
Forest (A)
Chelsea (H)
Spurs (A)

Tough set of fixtures combined with playing more Europa if we beat Barca. It's why I'm being cautious about us as much as I'm happy with our current position. There's so much football yet to be played over next 3 months.

croadyman

Liverpool’s cancelled fixture against Wolves has been rearranged for the Wednesday, before they play us. It’s the same day Utd play West Ham in the Cup. That should even things out.

I think ETH can make some changes against West Ham and still win the tie.
Same night Arsenal play their other game in hand

RonaldoVII

At the moment we're full of confidence and getting plaudits from everyone, however our next 8 league games occur over the span of 7 weeks, amongst an FA cup tie, a league cup tie, and Barcelona H&A in the EL - an extra 4 games.

The league games are:

City (H): Little needs to be said about this game.
Palace (A): Bogey team, beat them once in our last 4 meetings and Selhurst park has never been an easy game for us
Arsenal (A): They have our number at the emirates of late and are flying league leaders.
Palace (H): Again, bogey team
Leeds (A): We tend to smash these since their return to PL, but they have all the ingredients to be game raisers v us, especially at bellend road. I'd be surprised if this was a walk in the park
Leicester (H): On paper the easiest team on this list however, we've only beat them once in our last 4 meetings & is sandwiched between Barca games
Brentford (H): This season's giant slayers. Leathered us 4-0 at their ground earlier in the season
Liverpool (A): Liverpool at Anfield

What are our expectations for this run of games? If we get 15 points, I would say that's a fantastic return. 11-13 would be acceptable. 10 or lower would be disappointing
Swap Brentford (H), which has been rearranged, for Leeds (H) and we gained 14 out of 24 which I don't think is too bad given the size of them. Throw in cup wins against Forest x2, Reading, Barcelona, Newcastle and West Ham and it shows how well we're doing. In that time we've progressed in every cup competition and look a good shout for 3rd.

A similar run of results in our next 8 should tighten the grip on the top 4 and put us in with a shout of more silverware.