Our options are limited, who next?

RedMilo

You people should stop these romantics. Take a look at the best teams in the league - and most of the other teams too, non of them have a manager that had ever been associated with the club. The same goes to the top teams outside the EPL.
Fergie had never associated with the club before he was appointed. We need to stop sticking to the past. Neville, Bruce, Giggs, Solskjaer won't do a better job because they 'know the club and understand the standards'. Romantics hardly work in football.
Its not about romanticism, its about knowing what it takes, the current crop clearly don't know what it takes and the manager is just trouble...

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Zidane's real Madrid side in the league were woeful. However, he did win 3 CL in a row. Again, this can be argued that he has the best team in Europe.

I want a manager with an attacking philosohy.
That's inaccurate, during his first half season he had the best record, closed the gap and finished one point behind Barcelona, the second season they won the league and the third season they were inconsistent.

filibuster

Supports
Chelsea FC
I would get Blanc or Ranieri on a 1+1 year deal just to get a smile back on player's faces - they are charismatic positive managers. Although Conte would suit your team better as he likes a big lump up top, knows Pogba best and wanted Sanchez to play as a second striker which is his best position anyway. Shaw could thrive as a left wing back and you have a lot of options in midfield. But his last season with us showed he can be a mad man... though his problem with us was the transfers. And the players he wanted you got them instead.

Mcking

Its not about romanticism, its about knowing what it takes, the current crop clearly don't know what it takes and the manager is just trouble...
Knowing what it takes is not all it takes. We are talking about a coach, a manager, not a motivator.

RedDevil@84

Alittle naive using a newly retired player with zero coaching experience taking over for the rest of season?
Depends on the situation in which Jose is fired. It won't be the first time an assistant manager gets picked to take care a care-taker manager.

Mcking

Not him. Isn't the former Spurs guy their sporting director?
Paul Mitchell is their head of recruitment and development. Ralf Rangnick is the sporting director and is currently serving as head coach too.

RedStarUnited

Please no more defensive managers. I think Conte/Alegri would be good but I just want to see us play on the front foot again.

Sad thing is, we have managed to let all the attacking/high pressing managers join the other top 4 contenders. I dont think theres another out there?

Id get Marcelo Bielsa, the football will be entertaining as hell, doubt we would win anything.

Mcking

I meant the Mitchell guy.
Ok. I don't know much about his record tbh, so I can't comment. I think we can get him if we want to. He's current under Rangnick and is to Leipzig what Mislintat is to Arsenal.

Mcking

Please no more defensive managers. I think Conte/Alegri would be good but I just want to see us play on the front foot again.

Sad thing is, we have managed to let all the attacking/high pressing managers join the other top 4 contenders. I dont think theres another out there?

Id get Marcelo Bielsa, the football will be entertaining as hell, doubt we would win anything.
Bielsa's a difficult personality. Will probably get incredibly toxic if it doesn't really go well from the start.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Bilic. Failed at West Ham but then he was always going to. Might be worth a shot as a dark horse.
Why? This would be an insane move.

It's hard to look beyond the likes of Zidane, Conte or Simeone as of now - the left of field call would be Benitez.

Skills

Snitch
They're not limited. Just get a caretaker in to put a band-aid on this season, and there's plenty of good managers out there who we can hire in the summer.

It's funny, why we seem to hold on to shit managers because the options are 'limited'. Chelsea sack theirs every other season, and they manage to do better than us.

Devil may care

The club won't hire a Nagelsmann or some other coach based purely off the type of football they play, it'll be about the status and resume' and Zidane is by miles the best candidate for this board, I actually think Luis Enrique would have been a great fit here but Spain snapped him up. The only other option I can see is Jardim, he won Ligue 1 against a financial juggernaut with a team that had a number of young players and didn't cost much to put together, and he got to the CL semi as well that season, so he might tempt Ed and the Glazers.

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It's really sad that Jose wasn't appointed to replace Fergie.

Having someone come in to just deliver guaranteed good results for a year or two would have seen us get through the shock of losing the great man. I was absolutely for Jose being appointed ahead of the disaster that was Moyes.

It should also be said that Jose has not actually done too badly overall, results-wise. A couple of trophies and a fairly comfortable 2nd place finish is a damn sight better than Moyes and LVG did.

However....

Since the frankly disastrous pre-season and even worse start to the full season, it's clear Jose is done here. We are feckin awful to watch and have a bunch of (very good) players who have quit.

Let's bring in someone like Fergie; a superb young manager who has the hunger to come in and revolutionise our club. No more 'big names' but someone with something to prove.

Nagelsmann (buy him out), Howe, Espirito Santo for example.

NOT Wenger, Conte, Simeone or Allegri (all with nothing to prove/boring football or both)

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The thing is, we can get Zidane but the current squad is a mess. With the recruitment side of things being so poor he may find it too difficult with our current mob which is significantly weaker than what he had at Real.

What we really need is a proper Director of Football and a manager who can get the best out of what we have and then build from there. Still, Zidane would have a major impact on some of the players I think and is definitely a brilliant mind and manager. He definitely wouldn’t be a certain success though but who would? We can’t clone Fergie unfortunately. I wouldn’t mind seeing Giggs have a go just as he’s United through and through and would want to play the right way, but even then with no experience, a couple of losses and people would question him.

Sadly I feel the two men who would be perfect for us occupy the dugouts at our two biggest rivals.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
If Mourinho goes in the next two months he will 100% be replaced by Zidane. He’s the biggest name currently available and our board will go for that (the marketing value of such move would also be quite big).

We won’t risk it with any of the young British managers (there aren’t many who are in top tier and doing well anyway) and all the big names from abroad already have a club. The Hoffenheim young manager seems to be quite good but he probably won’t leave mid-season and seems intent on going to Bayern when he does leave.

le tard

It has to be Zidane. Surely he can handle Pogba's ego and get the best out of him.

Schmeichel=God

This is the scary thing...who do we go for? Who with a decent reputation at the moment won't think twice about coming to this career wrecking poisoned chalice, the title which used to be reserved for the England job!

Only today I said to my girlfriend (who previously was vaguely amused by the '3 points for everyone' meme and felt sad for Moyes and LvG) that it's that time again; the time when I wake up every morning hoping to read the Sky Sports Breaking banner. It is that bad.

But to be honest for me it has been that bad ever since the Celta & Ajax performances if not before. Regardless of the trophy win, those performances were not the only way that squad could have won. They were indicative of Mourinho's intended approach before and after his desired signings. Today we treated West Ham like they were Barcelona at their peak. Not even Sir Alex treated the Barca games like that.

So, we need an attacking manager. We messed up with Moyes/LvG/Mourinho/Guardiola/Klopp. Zidane is the name on everyone's lips. I don't like it, it doesn't feel right, but we might have to take a punt. We've been caught behind the times with LvG and Mourinho. Maybe it's time to get in at the early stages of someone's career if Zizou wants it.

Deschamps in order to retain Pogba? Blanc? Wenger to procure technique and attacking football for a few years until Giggs? That's three Frenchman to perhaps retain Pogba and stay in with a shot of tempting Griezmann. Pochettino perhaps but midseason? Ludicrous ideas but is there any clearcut candidate?

What is clearcut is that Mourinho is NOT the man for this job. I feel for him, but we're lacking technically, in defence as well as attack, and he is responsible for that. The players might be his, blame might also lie at Woodward's doors. Either way things are very clearly wrong at this club on and off the pitch.

Sole strike force Lukaku is the bane of my existence. Andy Cole was the bane of many people's, but I would swap them in a heartbeat. Get Sanchez as no.9, Pogba as no.10. Lukaku as 11 if you must...and get these misfiring players sorted whilst ensuring defensive security and ball retention behind them.

Finally, the supposed circa £27mil it will take to fire Mourinho should not even be sniffed at. We saved multiples of that figure by not splashing more cash in the summer. Get that done and get a new manager under this roof.

Dominos

Hiring the biggest name that isn't currently employed hasn't really worked out the 2 times we've tried it, Van Gaal and then Mourinho...

If we did get rid of Mourinho mid season, if the right manager isn't available yet then whoever is given the job should be on a temp basis until the end of the season.

In the summer they need to pick someone who can coach progressive and cohesive attacking football rather than picking the biggest name, that may involve paying off another club to take their manager rather than just picking whoever's out of a job at the time.

Wayne's World

If Mourinho goes in the next two months he will 100% be replaced by Zidane. He’s the biggest name currently available and our board will go for that (the marketing value of such move would also be quite big).

We won’t risk it with any of the young British managers (there aren’t many who are in top tier and doing well anyway) and all the big names from abroad already have a club. The Hoffenheim young manager seems to be quite good but he probably won’t leave mid-season and seems intent on going to Bayern when he does leave.
He's joined RB Leipzig from next season. Already confirmed from both parties

Mcking

Because it’s the biggest competition?
What is the point of appointing him if he can't trust himself to take his team to the so biggest competition.
Unless he wants to stay here for just one year. You must not reap what another person sowed.

Mcking

He's going to Leipzig and - in a low voice, soo young. He might struggle to control the ego especially if you consider that most of our players are already walking with wheelchairs.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Why are our options limited ? We seem to have the same options as normal.
Not many top managers are out of contract or clubs we could realistically get them from.
I don't mind going for an unknown like Sassuolo''s coach.