Our options are limited, who next?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Do you reckon the club actually interviews managers for our job? Or does Woody just appoint them?

Actually, would Woody even know how to hold a football based interview!?

Mcking

Not many top managers are out of contract or clubs we could realistically get them from.
I don't mind going for an unknown like Sassuolo''s coach.
Would be nice if we appoint a very good DOF too.

Mcking

Do you reckon the club actually interviews managers for our job? Or does Woody just appoint them?

Actually, would Woody even know how to hold a football based interview!?
Interview is no problem when the CV is there. As in the case Mou and van Gaal.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I realise it's entirely irrelevant at this point but if you go back in time and change recent managerial appointments who would you have gone with instead? Pep? Klopp? Sarri maybe?
Pep needs a particular style of players which we didn't have. He'd enjoy Pogba in midfield and that's it - we don't have players like Robben/Ribery/Sane/Sterling, and Ibra/Lukaku, Fellaini, Smalling, Valencia, Young, don't suit his style at all.
Sarri became a star during/after last season.

Klopp is the one. Martial and Rashford both suit his style, he made the correct choice bringing in Mane when we were interested as well, (so a front 4 of Martial, Rashford, Mane and Mata), Pogba and anyone else as the midfield (mirroring his team with Gundogan and a defensive midfielder) and with modest improvements to the fullbacks I think we would have had an exciting, attacking team.

mckenzie79

Wenger caretaker,pochettino in summer.cant believe I've just said Wenger.i feel dirty

wolvored

Look how Mourinho took over after VG. No one knew it was going to happen. Even crerand argued with a reporter the day of the FA cup final, that VG would still be the manager and he was gone the next day. Utd have probably got the next manager lined up, and if I was putting money on it, I would bet on Zidane, which I think will be another mistake. I dont think we will sack him until the end of the season, as the penny counters wont want to part with £12 million, the reported amount he will get with an early sacking.

Mcking

I dunno... I feel like you should still be finding out their intentions/approach/strategy/aims etc.
Football interview is quite easy for the interviewee. Aims? We all know the aims buddy. Strategy? He's not going to say 'I will play shite defensive football'. Like I said, the CV is there to back up everything he says.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Zidane is too big a risk in terms of building a long term plan and bringing league consistency. He's a big name though and a good man manager. The team needs more than that though - it needs a durable structure and new identity to it if Mourinho were to leave. I'm not sure what Zidane can offer to a club that isn't full of superstars. I'd rather find a safer bet but there isn't really anyone available outside of him and Conte.

Conte is actually a decent shout - he obviously handled Chelsea wrongly in his second season but he seemed to do a good job at Juventus and Italy. Our players certainly wouldn't suit his style though - no ball playing defenders is a massive problem for a manager like him.

I don't know how we will be continuing with Jose this season - obviously no title challenge but top 4 will be touch and go. I think if we suddenly switched managers, top 4 would still be touch and go.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Feel sorry for Jose Mourinho but he has lost everything here, players aren't good enough and also not showing sign wants to play for him. But it's his fault because he's the one who signed them, clearly he signed the wrong players for his management.

We need to sack him now, there is no point for him to continue if he has lost the dressing room. I'll give to Carrick just to be interim manager at least we know our players put more respect on him than Mourinho, in the meantime while Carrick is in charge, we will identify and carefully choose the new manager to make sure the next man is the right man for United's philosophy.

ToToMarshall

For various reasons, I can't see it not being one of these names; Zidane, Allegri, Jardim, Simeone, Conte, Blanc, Pochettino, Löw, Giggs.

Personally Allegri, Zidane, Jardim or Poch would be my preferred picks. Allegri's and Zidane are big characters with a huge amount of recent success behind them, and Jardim and Poch are less proven but play really exciting football.

Eddy_JukeZ

Look how Mourinho took over after VG. No one knew it was going to happen. Even crerand argued with a reporter the day of the FA cup final, that VG would still be the manager and he was gone the next day. Utd have probably got the next manager lined up, and if I was putting money on it, I would bet on Zidane, which I think will be another mistake. I dont think we will sack him until the end of the season, as the penny counters wont want to part with £12 million, the reported amount he will get with an early sacking.
It was the worst kept secret in football.

Everyone knew it'd happen.

cfkane

I know this sounds crazy, but as a caretaker manager, I'd love to see Eric Cantona.

N91

An attacking manager is a must. I’d be extremely happy if we end up with one of them.

Paulo Fonseca
Leonardo Jardim
Eusebio Di Francesco

Frank Grimes

Ok I purposely framed the title as above as I know it would look like a troll otherwise but this thought has been swirling around in my head for the last few years and I'm going to come out and say it.

Brendan Rodgers could be a very canny appointment.

Reasons why?

1. He plays forward thinking football
2. Good experience at big clubs
3. He is still a relatively young manager
4. He nearly won the league with Liverpool
5. Has a winning pedigree (albeit in Scotland)
6. He's British/Irish so would stick around if successful

Reasons why not?

1. He's a bit of a cartoon character
2. He nearly won the league with Liverpool
3. Bad European record
4. Questionable defensively
5. Manchester has a chap stick shortage

Certainly as UK coaches are concerned he'd be top of my list.

He'd be certainly in my list of top 5.

captain666

Carrick/McKenna in the interim, they can’t do any worse than Mourinho, there is no way back for him.

Take some time looking for a replacement, appoint the DOF straight away and rebuild the club.
That would be a good start.Seems pointless to just appoint another manager mid-term and expect them to turn this shitfest around.
The Club needs a radical overhaul and rethink from board level down to junior teams as to our style and identity going forward,just employing another big name to assume the mantle of SAF is not going to work.
Choice is going to be somewhat limited but someone in the Nagelsmann mould would be a progressive move.We need to be rid of the negativity dragging this great Club down.

Needham

Ok I purposely framed the title as above as I know it would look like a troll otherwise but this thought has been swirling around in my head for the last few years and I'm going to come out and say it.

Brendan Rodgers could be a very canny appointment.

Reasons why?

1. He plays forward thinking football
2. Good experience at big clubs
3. He is still a relatively young manager
4. He nearly won the league with Liverpool
5. Has a winning pedigree (albeit in Scotland)
6. He's British/Irish so would stick around if successful

Reasons why not?

1. He's a bit of a cartoon character
2. He nearly won the league with Liverpool
3. Bad European record
4. Questionable defensively
5. Manchester has a chap stick shortage

Certainly as UK coaches are concerned he'd be top of my list.

He'd be certainly in my list of top 5.

Brendan, as a user name Frank Grimes is a really lame effort.

RochaRoja

Odd how hardly anyone has suggested Conte.

Already turned one Mourinho mess into champions and has a history of getting the best out of Pogba.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Sure, why not.

If it goes tits up we can always give it Amadeus till the end of the season.

Fergietime@99

I want someone from within to take control if mourinho is sacked. Maybe after SAF retired we should have allowed Phelan to have a go. Surely wouldn't have been worse than Moyes and LVG

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
My Liverpool-supporting family wanted him out for years and felt that the relative success of the Suarez season was despite him rather than down to him. They also found his football boring. Says a lot really.

Oh and they also believe that he used his team selections to play power games with the Liverpool transfer committee, e.g. deliberately setting Balotelli up to fail and hauling him off when he looked to be having a good game. No idea if it's true but I feel there's very little upside to him.

TsuWave

wouldn't have minded Tuchel but we missed the train on that one (seems a trend)

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
United should be aiming higher. Rodgers is class, but the club should go all in and bring in Kenny Dalglish with Mancini as his assistant.

MuFc_1992

I say Carrick until the end of the season and use the time to restructure the club and put proper infrastructure in place.

kthanksbye

Why are our options limited?

Conte and Zidane don't have a job.
Simeone, Jardim could be approached, these are the ones I'd prefer.
There are other young attacking managers that could come.

Just need to have a 3/4 year plan, during which the board should completely back the man as long as he's reaching short term targets (top 4 every season).