Our options are limited, who next?

simplyared

Just shows how far we've come: Started a thread last season about the possibility of Eddie Howe one day becoming our manager. I got crucified for brain farting etc before it got binned. A different response now!

Kaarel

I really don't understand how people think Pochettino is realistic. I mean seriously? He just signed a 5 year extension, got Spurs playing decent football, stadium will eventually be completed (I guess), he should be happy to be part of it. Why would he throw it all away and come to us? I don't think getting him is much more realistic than Klopp or Pep.
Because he can't really take them any further. How can he possibly compete for the league with the money other top clubs are spending? Getting no new signings must be frustrating and I am sure his ambitions are higher than being at Spurs. Plus I assume we would pay him more.

djembatheking

We need someone who is a top coach with an attacking style of play that can handle big egos on big money and have the players wanting to run through walls for them . They also need to be able to handle the intense pressure of managing a team as big as United being scrutinised in fine detail by a media expectation that we are going to return to the high levels we were at when Fergie was in charge .
With the owners/Woodward seeming more concerned with making money than playing good football/winning trophies I can`t see it happen and we could find ourselves in no mans land for quite some time .

Over the years we`ve laughed at Liverpool , Spurs and Arsenal about winning feck all and consoled ourselves that Chelsea and City only win cos of money .
Like City and Chelsea we also have plenty of money the difference being their owners aren`t bothered so much about making more , they are after the prestige of being champions and winning trophies .

It is a sad realism setting in that we will not dominate ever again like we did in the Fergie era and even sadder is the fact that I have no confidence in the people in charge of such decisions making the club that I have supported since the seventies enjoyable to watch again .

cnuts , the lot of them .

CM

I honestly wouldn't mind Blanc on an interim basis. He's been out of management for a couple of years but he can make the best of what he has (won the league with Bordeaux), has form of taking over in difficult circumstances with France and plays an attacking style of football.

I can't imagine Zidane would want to take over mid-season (if he's even interested at all) so I'm struggling to think of a better short-term solution.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Look how Mourinho took over after VG. No one knew it was going to happen. Even crerand argued with a reporter the day of the FA cup final, that VG would still be the manager and he was gone the next day. Utd have probably got the next manager lined up, and if I was putting money on it, I would bet on Zidane, which I think will be another mistake. I dont think we will sack him until the end of the season, as the penny counters wont want to part with £12 million, the reported amount he will get with an early sacking.
Everyone knew Mourinho would come in after the season was over.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Whilst I don't disagree in principle, Martinez has just never struck me as a really good coach. Attacking yes, but a coach can be attacking and still meh. He doesn't seem to make his sides play greater than the sum of their parts imo, which is what we ought to look for in our next coach. He'd probably get absolutely trounced by better attacking coaches like Klopp, Sarri, Pep etc. Would that be good enough for us?

I don't think there's a problem with "big names" either, just like there isn't some mysterious curse that causes "big name" players to fail for us. We just end up choosing the wrong ones, or bring them into situations that they cannot thrive in.

But. Yes, I don't know who would be an ideal choice. Would have said Tuchel but he's been snapped up, and he did manage to lose to Klopp again :mad:
there surely must be some nice young attacking coach in Germany or Jardim from Monaco who are being quite terrible but no wonder selling all their best players, on the other hand we could easily get him, give him a contract till the end of the season - something like: show what you got in the next 40 games and at the end of the season we can reassess. That could apply to any "young" coach, if that coach would be willing to take the job till the end of the season. In fact I think it could be quite tempting, you cannot do more wrong here, in case of failure, we were always in a bad shape and was hard to fix. not too bad for your CV. The problem is when you give long term contract to whoever right now after 7 games

AlwaysRed66

I said Eddie Howe. At this point in time he would be my number one choice. What a job he’s done and I would love to see if he could make us into a likeable and entertaining club full of happy players again.

I only put Shaun Dyche as a point of discussion as I think there are some great attributes he could bring. I also don’t think the football he plays is 100% negative.
I agree with you about Eddie Howe, as I also think he could do a good role as the new manager.

Regarding Dyche, I wasn't singling you out, but was making a general observation from a number of areas, using your post.

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
Serious underrating of Zidane going on here. Lad won the league and 3 CLs in a row what else do people want! Real have had the best squads in world football for decades and no one else has manged to win 2 consecutive CLs let alone 3. Reminds me when people claimed Pep was a fraud and he won't be able to handle a windy day at Stoke. Its not his fault he had a stellar squad, and its not easy to manage so many egos and pressure when working
He would not have United play attacking football either. People need to stop, not aimed at you, wanting Mourinho out yet name Simeone, Conte etc as replacements.
I want him to stay. I’m convinced that he’s the right man.

rotherham_red

I've been pro Howe for a while.
Plays good football, no matter the opposition
Since being in the league, has been very consistent with his points totals
Had a limited budget to work with, yet never really looked like being relegated

Financially, would't be expensive to get, and if it didn't work out, wouldn't cost much to sack I'd say
Almost all of which was said about Moyes at Preston and Everton

Aloysius's Back 3

I'm okay with Eddie howe - but he is also an ex player of Bournemouth - something jIthink that gives managers an advantage in the modern game.

We could hope that Eddie howe improves Manchester United or we could possibly just hire an ex player that wants to Manage United.

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He would not have United play attacking football either. People need to stop, not aimed at you, wanting Mourinho out yet name Simeone, Conte etc as replacements.
Totally agree with this. We want exciting football damn it! It's not as if Mourinho's results have been that awful (last 5 games notwithstanding), it's just we're so painfully dull to watch.

Aloysius's Back 3

I know he is off to RB Leipzig but lord look at these tactics:

Absolutely exactly what needs to be done with United playing 3 at the back - from the false CB to the dribbling ability of our strikers that like to come short & lay the ball off for others.

I look at those tactics & there is a player for every position for that type of game plan.

ToToMarshall

There isn’t a perfect candidate that’s easily attainable, that’s the problem.

Mourinho was the obvious choice after LVG, he was without a job, had all the credentials on his CV (bar any evidence he was capable of staying a job long-term or developing youth), and by all accounts was desperate for the job. The general consensus around football at the time was, it may all end in tears, but before then he pretty much guarantees a league title and a decent run in the Champions League. We’ve got neither out of him. If the most decorated manager in football today, with all his experience and know how couldn’t do it, nobody we go for after him can possibly guarantee any success.

This may be seen as a negative, as it brings uncertainty, and casts doubt over whether we’ll win a title again for anouther 5 years, 10 years or even longer. However, I believe there is a way to spin it as a positive. If we were to bring in a manager with a CV worse than Mourinho’s, but with a clear 3-5 year plan, who from the get go was to play attractive, attacking football to get us on side, and even if it does take 2/3 seasons, shows a clear plan for progression, I think we’d be okay with that.

Pochettino may be unrealistic given his recent contract extension, but he’d be my number 1 choice. He gets the best out of his players, he’s an excellent coach, and ‘plays the game in the right way’. Given the limited budget he’s had to work with at Spurs, most of his transfers have been successes, and he’d have more resources to work with at United. It’d be impossible to get him mid-season, but say Spurs don’t make top-four, or are set for another summer of minimal funding for Levy, I think he could be tempted by a big fat paycheque and the promise of £200+m to spend in the summer.

AlwaysRed66

I would pay what it takes to get Pochettino, even if it is something like 50 million to buy his contract out. Quite cheap considering many on here including the manager were looking to buy the likes of Alderweireld & Willian for between 60-70 million.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I am quite surprised that after my admittedly short membership here but long enough to hear it suggested so often that the give it to Giggsy brigade seem very quiet at the moment.

If they are looking for someone to take care of it until the end of the season then appointing him whilst leaving him in charge of Wales is now the only time that it would even make a remote bit of sense.

Hell after what I've watched so far this season I don't think even I would be against it.

Would prefer a long term signing though instead if we can get the right one.

minoo-utd

The thing is, I don't know are the players even good enough? to work under a new system a new manager? I have reached to a stage that I don't know anything right now! no plan nothing.

AlwaysRed66

Deschamps.

Sir Alex till end of the season.
Even if SAF could win the league for us, I wouldn't want him lumbered with the role, with his ill health. Imagine if he had another heart attack or worse. Let him have his deserved retirement.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
When did Moyes have Everton playing a good brand of football? I don't remember anyone ever saying that.
They were quite entertaining towards the end of his reign with Baines and Pienaar on the left. Wasn't exactly tiki taka mind.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
I think we have the best chance of getting Jardim, out of all available. Not saying it would be easy, but I think we could pull it off. We know he can rebuild a team, and his teams are exciting.

Vadim

Big Sam's available :drool:

lol
His football isn't too disimiliar to Jose's to be honest.

We need an attacking manager, it's as simple as that. All of the big sides at the top (Chelsea, City, Liverpool) play modern, pressing, attacking football.

No Conte's, no Simeone's - we'll be back to square one.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Take our time, identify the right candidate and hire them. Don't go behind the names but look at a long term plan.

Also, no more signings just because manager wants it. Appoint a DOF and have him do the homework to get the signings in. Something like a chelsea model and I really like it.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
His football isn't too disimiliar to Jose's to be honest.

We need an attacking manager, it's as simple as that. All of the big sides at the top (Chelsea, City, Liverpool) play modern, pressing, attacking football.

No Conte's, no Simeone's - we'll be back to square one.
Modern football is not just high pressing and high pressing doesn't necessarily mean attacking football though!

I would be happy if we learn to beat the press and use our midfield to dictate the play.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Take our time, identify the right candidate and hire them. Don't go behind the names but look at a long term plan.

Also, no more signings just because manager wants it. Appoint a DOF and have him do the homework to get the signings in. Something like a chelsea model and I really like it.
Agreed.
As anyone who has been involved in recruitment you don't start with a name. That is the outcome of the process.

You might already have a succession plan in place and start with a profile with all the key attributes and characteristics.

I am sure that United as a major organisation have this already defined.

It is vital that should they want to replace Jose they take the time to do the right thing.

However, knowing that we have tried 3 times to succeed SAF, be careful when you wish for....

Woziak

Some interresting options on this thread but players like Pogba, Martial, Lingard, Rashford, Sanchez have massive egos, if they won't play for Jose what makes anyone think they will play for E Howe, Big Sam or Jardim. We probably would all agree that our next manager should be the following;
  • Decent Human Being with good morales and an excellent man motivator that stays away from unecessary media attention
  • Has played the game to a high level
  • Has Managed the game to a high level including Champions league or National experience
  • Has excellent communication skills with his player
  • Can speak multi languages, English, Spanish, Italian, French
  • Invests in Youth and gives them a chance
  • Is Tactically Flexible and can make the hard calls within the game
  • Improves players by excellent Training methods
  • Believes in his own conviction
  • Plays Attacking Football and knows his best formation and best team
  • Has a blueprint for success short term and long term
  • Has won domestic Titles and European Titles
  • Has Brand awareness and can assist the Club in this Field.
  • Is a relative Young Man in Management arena preferably under 50 to allow us to buid a 10 year dynasty
As you can see the wish list is almost impossible to fill but why shouldn't United as one of the biggest clubs in World Football demand the best option!

Pep is quite rightly considered the best Manager in World football right now but the last time I checked he had won 1 less Champions League trophy than Zidane plus Pep has not won that trophy for 8 years! So bar the Speaking English which Zidane is keen to learn he ticks all the above boxes and more importantly will cost the club no compensation Fee. Enough of the Whose Next conversation, there is clearly only 1 candidate currently available and suitable for our Great Club!

ZZ may not be perfect but he will conduct himself in the right way and take the spotlight off of the players instantly!

Last edited:

eire-red

Not too keen on the idea of Wenger as manager, but wouldn't be against him as DoF? He's obviously got the experience, but he's renound for being intelligent, meticulous and would definitley have a strategy for where we need to go. What do you guys think?

In terms of a manager, I really don't know at this point. It's more of a case of who's feasibly attainable at this stage, as opposed to who's the perfect fit

C3Pique

Jardim. Plays attacking football, develops youth. Out of contract next year apparently.

He'd excel in a team that doesn't sell it's best players every year.