Our overall strongest eleven

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Forgetting about injuries for a minute, would you agree our strongest eleven is?

de Gea
Wan Bissaka Lindelof Maguire Shaw
McTominay Fred
Pogba
James Martial Rashford
I feel like one of the biggest reasons for our slump the last few years is the lack of having a set starting eleven. Liverpool, Leicester and City all have one, again injuries notwithstanding. We've chopped and changed for years now.

Once we get Pogba back is that eleven the way to go? To be honest I'd probably be more comfortable with Smalling over Lindelof, terrible decision letting him go out on loan.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Yeah on paper that’s easily our best 11. Challenge is keeping them all fit.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Yeah, that but maybe questions at LB.
I agree we need an upgrade, Shaw just isn't the player we'd hoped he would become, plus his fitness/injury issues make thing even worse. I feel like the current alternatives in the squad are downgrades though. We'll see how Williams develops, but he's not good enough to start for us right now. Young is Young, one good game for every five bad games, and Dalot is stealing a living on the treatment table 24/7.

jackal&hyde

We are almost there, just need Pogba back and whatever is wrong with Martial to be sorted. This is a good team, very thin squad unfortunately and that has cost us a lot of points. Disagree on the Smalling bit, Lindelof is much better in his overall game.

Jev

I'm inclined to put Young at LB. Despite all the stick he gets, and I've given quite a bit myself, I feel he's grown into a quite reliable performer with the right attitude.

Also think Smalling might prove to be better than Lindelöf if he were to return.

He'sRaldo

Forgetting about injuries for a minute, would you agree our strongest eleven is?

de Gea
McTominay Fred
Pogba
James Martial Rashford

I feel like one of the biggest reasons for our slump the last few years is the lack of having a set starting eleven. Liverpool, Leicester and City all have one, again injuries notwithstanding. We've chopped and changed for years now.

Once we get Pogba back is that eleven the way to go? To be honest I'd probably be more comfortable with Smalling over Lindelof, terrible decision letting him go out on loan.
Pretty much for me, and not once has that 11 played together this season. Madness.

Gythio

Tuanzebe over Lindelof
Yeah, easily the better player. Stronger, more composed, comfortable with the ball.
Lindelöfs lack of strenght has already cost us a few games this season.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

de Gea
McTominay Fred
Pogba
James Martial Rashford

Without a shred of doubt. The only time in many years we can 100% agree to a strong, balanced first 11

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Agree although Lindelof and Shaw are easily replaceable.

The rest we can't afford an injury in any position, and even then it's not that good. We'd be in a better position if we had this available all season though.

Judas

Open to offers
With the fitness issues with this squad, seems just a bit pointless talking about our best 11. I'd genuinely not be surprised if we only saw it a few times this season.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

de Gea
McTominay Fred
Pogba
James Martial Rashford

Undoubtedly. I disagree on Smalling though, he might be on a hot streak now, but its a reason he never became first pick under any of our past managers.

The real problem, as always is squad depth. There is none. One injury to any of those and the drop in quality is immense and there is still a lot of missing pieces here. Imo, we still need:
1. LB. I dont trust Shaw to stay fit and Williams is too young to be a regular
2. CB. Someone to partner Maguire, preferably someone with a bit of pace and physicality to them
3. Two young, talented CM's who dont mind spending some time on the bench
4. A CF (Haaland) or a wide forward that is comfortable on both LW and RW

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
That's obviously our best eleven. We don't have a strong enough bench for it even to be questionable. The step down is huge. Who knows how many points Pogba's injury has cost us.

Ban

Yup. Scott and Fred partnership is shaping up to be a nice one so hopefully when Pogba comes back he'll play more forward, behind strikers.

Raw

Yep, definitely. A big reason why we've been shit this season is the complete lack of depth.

If just one of our central midfielders gets injured, we're having to rely on Pereira, Matic and Garner. If Pogba is injured, we have Mata, Lingard or Pereira. If our striker gets injured, we're relying on Greenwood and...yeah. Our defence has decent depth but I wouldn't say the backups are that reliable anyway (Dalot seems to still be a huge question mark, Jones/Bailly/Rojo are either shit or always injured, Young is getting not so young and Williams has been good but he's still new).

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Yep, definitely. A big reason why we've been shit this season is the complete lack of depth.

If just one of our central midfielders gets injured, we're having to rely on Pereira, Matic and Garner. If Pogba is injured, we have Mata, Lingard or Pereira. If our striker gets injured, we're relying on Greenwood and...yeah. Our defence has decent depth but I wouldn't say the backups are that reliable anyway (Dalot seems to still be a huge question mark, Jones/Bailly/Rojo are either shit or always injured, Young is getting not so young and Williams has been good but he's still new).
Said it many times; lack of depth is costing us stability.

Add 3 quality players to this squad and we will progress. Need a CM, an attacking left sided/midfield player, and another forward. An injury to these areas currently and we're fecked.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Said it many times; lack of depth is costing us stability.

Add 3 quality players to this squad and we will progress. Need a CM, an attacking left sided/midfield player, and another forward. An injury to these areas currently and we're fecked.
Spot on. Some teams get fecked up after 2-3-4 injuries but our team will struggle with a single injury to our first 11

TRUERED89

Yeah, easily the better player. Stronger, more composed, comfortable with the ball.
Yep Crystal Palace & Southampton still haunts me...

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Lindelhof is a decent squad CB, not a starter for a club like Utd. He does ok but that's it, just ok. It's a shame Tuanzebe got injured as I'd see him starting most games and Lindelhof coming on as sub

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
On what basis?
That basis ...

I'm certain that Ole was planning to do this already but Tuanzebe got injured - I think he'll be phased in over the course of this month

Nickelodeon

That basis ...

I'm certain that Ole was planning to do this already but Tuanzebe got injured - I think he'll be phased in over the course of this month
I agree with it. But it's mostly hypothetical till now. We're yet to see Tuanzebe being properly tested playing as a CB in a two-man system for us. As for mistakes, it seems a bit biased because I remember Tuanzebe making the costly mistake against Arsenal for their equalizer. Lindelof hasn't set the world alight but he's seemed decent and, dare I say, slightly better than Maguire.

He'sRaldo

de Gea
McTominay Fred
Pogba
James Martial Rashford

Also, I'd say Greenwood vs James in some games is arguable as Greenwood is left-footed and that noticeably brings something different to our attack with his passing and dribbling direction.

Of course in terms of who's better, James is ahead of him right now.

norm87cro

In general it has to be.
Ddg
Wan bissaka Maguire Lindelof Shaw
Mctominay Fred
Pogba
Martial Rashford. James

Personally I would like to see new signings in the place of Lindelof (was tempted putting Jones there) and Fred and by summer time probably Pogba too since he is leaving.

Craig Ward

de Gea
McTominay Fred
Pogba
James Martial Rashford

If all are fit, I would agree with this.

Its not perfect as others have pointed out.

I'd probably opt for Tuanzebe over Lindelöf as well. That's about the only change to this 11 without new additions.

I'd say we need:
LB: We need a starting LB. Young is past it, Shaw's a nightmare with injuries
CM: I think while Fred and McTom are doing well, we don't have the depth to not improve this area of the pitch. Both are decent, neither are class.
AM: Pogba just simply will not be here long term, thus needs replacing. Mata/Lingard/Periera are not good enough.
CF/LW/RW: Tricky to nail down which specific position we need to focus on as some players are interchangeable, but we need another forward player. Martial does miss a lot through injury, while we have Greenwood and Rashford who can replace him, and James can play both wings, we could do with some greater depth here.

Say for example, over the January AND summer window we add 3 or 4 players that are better/compliment what we already have our starting 11 and bench starts to look much more assured.

Catania

Supports
Catania
curious on this Tuanzebe over lindelöf thing. is it becouse his english, academy or putting up workout videos on social media?
Becouse it cant be what he shown on the pitch so far.

Red_Orchestra

de Gea
McTominay Fred
Pogba
James Martial Rashford

Right on Point with this line-up.
James is playing better on the right and Rashford has been very good on the Left,
I want to see more of Brandon Williams I think he adds a bit more presence on both ends over Shaw.

Jonno

Some feedback. Pogba never plays in an advanced number 10 for Ole. Ole sees him as a deep lying playmaker so there's no point putting him there.

Also, quite funny to read Tuanzebe being in our current strongest CB partnership, based on a hunch and potential. I think he is very talented and can't wait for him to play every week. But he's not in our strongest line up right now, otherwise Ole would trust to start him. Those saying Tuanzebe is our strongest CB now probably called for Gomes and Chong to start last season.

Alexit

Agree with the OP, I would love to see a decent run of games where we can start that 11, it's easily our best at the moment.

lysglimt

Scout
At this Point in time - not for me. As much as I like Axel, he is not better than VL. And true, the latter has cost us points - but so has Axel (Arsenal) - and he has played a lot less

ReddBalls

Some feedback. Pogba never plays in an advanced number 10 for Ole. Ole sees him as a deep lying playmaker so there's no point putting him there.
He did last year, until Herrerra got injured. Ole has also stated numerous times he wants to build the team around Pogba. You don't build a team around a player in a midfield two. Reason he played there at the start of the season was a lack of alternatives. Now that Fred has stepped up, I believe we will see Pogba as a more attacking player.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Undoubtedly. I disagree on Smalling though, he might be on a hot streak now, but its a reason he never became first pick under any of our past managers.

The real problem, as always is squad depth. There is none. One injury to any of those and the drop in quality is immense and there is still a lot of missing pieces here. Imo, we still need:
1. LB. I dont trust Shaw to stay fit and Williams is too young to be a regular
2. CB. Someone to partner Maguire, preferably someone with a bit of pace and physicality to them
3. Two young, talented CM's who dont mind spending some time on the bench
4. A CF (Haaland) or a wide forward that is comfortable on both LW and RW
Smalling was ‘first pick’ under all of our managers. He and Maguire would have been a solid partnership.

norm87cro

Seriously? You are actually having a laugh. Jones is the worst CB at the club.
Don't know what you want me to say?Lindelof is clearly not cut for this league, Samillings at Roma, Bailly is injury prone and a liability and Rojo is not really a CB or a back (or really good at any position for that matter). I understand people want Lindelof to make it but I just don't see it. It doesn't make Jones great though and it is a grim reflection of our squad depth. We will be signing another CB in the summer.