Our own corners

arnie_ni

How many times are we going to let the opposition counter on us, create a good chance and even score against us, from our own corners?

Of course the corner was shit, Fred was woeful with zero game awareness to know to give a fk and then Shaw vacated his area, but it all happens to regularly to look at anyone else but the coaching staff.

We don't even score enough goals to justify the threat of being countered on!

So what us it, do we not leave enough back? Do we not have the smarts to just give away free kicks? Are we just out of position?

It needs to be fecking fixed anyway! Get on it ole and Co.

Raw

Feel like whenever we get a corner we should just pass it back to defence. Not like we're ever good at them, and it saves us getting countered.

Yeaaat123

Does anyone know our Stats on our own corners.?
i.e. How many goals did we score from corners last season.?
How many goals have we scored from corners this season.?
Seems to me, our % of scoring from corners is very low.?
We never seem mix it up enough, i.e we should try more short corners, or try balls out to the edge of the box for long shots, or just be a bit more clever & inventive with our corners.?
Maybe more coaching in this area would help us get another 5 to 10 golas per season.?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Does anyone know our Stats on our own corners.?
i.e. How many goals did we score from corners last season.?
How many goals have we scored from corners this season.?
Seems to me, our % of scoring from corners is very low.?
We never seem mix it up enough, i.e we should try more short corners, or try balls out to the edge of the box for long shots, or just be a bit more clever & inventive with our corners.?
Maybe more coaching in this area would help us get another 5 to 10 golas per season.?
See post before you

El Zoido

We have a new set piece coach. There did seem to be some innovation around set pieces on Wednesday but our corner's still seem to the the same old same old.
We had a well worked one in the first half where it was played out to Greenwood, who did an inswinger. He seems to have brought some new ideas, and it’s really not his fault that Bruno underhit his cross and then Fred got done despite getting to the ball first.

Withnail

We had a well worked one in the first half where it was played out to Greenwood, who did an inswinger. He seems to have brought some new ideas, and it’s really not his fault that Bruno underhit his cross and then Fred got done despite getting to the ball first.

Oh I don't mean to blame him at all. There were signs of it on Wednesday but it's a bit early to judge. I don't recall the corner you were talking about. Hopefully we do see positives in that area soon.

Flytan

Is Bruno like completely awful at corners or is it just a recent thing? Outside of Villareal I feel like he barely beats the first man. Shaw's corners are far superior.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Always preferred in swingers. Don’t know why our corners are so hilariously bad. Same with our throw ins.

Foxbatt

Because it is always for a first time header. There is no variation. The Villareal one was not a corner but a free kick. Why can't we have a variation with a near post flick? We have extremely good headers in Ronaldo, Maguire, Varane, Pogba and even McTominay.

Fitchett

Because it is always for a first time header. There is no variation. The Villareal one was not a corner but a free kick. Why can't we have a variation with a near post flick? We have extremely good headers in Ronaldo, Maguire, Varane, Pogba and even McTominay.
And Cavani

TheLittleOne

I somewhat disagree. Cavani and Ronaldo are by far our best offensive headers. Maguire is very good at defensive headers, offensivly hes only good at getting into position and handle his defender but hes horrible at directing the ball. Pogba's headers aren't very well placed either. Varane I havent seen enough yet but he looks not bad at it. The new strategy seems to be Ronaldo hides behind McTominay so Scott can hold of the defenders and Ronaldo gets a clean run towards the ball unfortunately no luck so far.

Last edited:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I'd rather we just take a short corner and keep possession, try and work it in that way. Bruno's corners in particular were awful today. Not only that, but our movement in the box is practically non-existent, except Ronaldo.

We also don't really have anyone good in the air bar Ronaldo and Cavani. Pogba had a free header in the middle of the box, he just closed his eyes and swung his head at it, which was amateurish. A man of his size and strength should really be better aerially.

Foxbatt

I'd rather we just take a short corner and keep possession, try and work it in that way. Bruno's corners in particular were awful today. Not only that, but our movement in the box is practically non-existent, except Ronaldo.

We also don't really have anyone good in the air bar Ronaldo and Cavani. Pogba had a free header in the middle of the box, he just closed his eyes and swung his head at it, which was amateurish. A man of his size and strength should really be better aerially.
when he came to United he was very good in the air. Scott is not a bad header too. Maguire needs direction but again if he was flicking at the near post he is bound to flick more than he misses. He does not need to try and score from every attempt which seems to be the case now. That is why I say we need variation. Not everyone good in the air has to try to score.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
when he came to United he was very good in the air. Scott is not a bad header too. Maguire needs direction but again if he was flicking at the near post he is bound to flick more than he misses. He does not need to try and score from every attempt which seems to be the case now. That is why I say we need variation. Not everyone good in the air has to try to score.
I agree about Maguire. He has a lot of success with England, though they are very well set up with set-pieces, to be fair. We don't really seem to have a plan.

Scott has shown himself to be good in the air too, but also rarely seems to be the target, nor seems to attack the delivery. I wonder if that is tactical, or his own reluctance.

TheLittleOne

I agree with the need for more variation. We are very limited in this and if we just add one or two more different takes it would double the amount of ways we could score and the defense needs to be vary of that which makes them more likely to make a mistake. What I really do want to see has more to do with crosses. Normal crosses are almost pointless cause they are so heavily luck based. We need to do more early crosses when defense isnt ready and when was the last time someone beat their man, runned down to the line (granted much more difficult to get there) and passed it back to the penalty spot? If an attacker gets to that ball its almost always a goal.

Foxbatt

This is why I say it's a coaching issue. All top sides used variation in set pieces. The great AC Milan under Sachi was famous for that. So was the Dutch especially under Michels.
Our coaching staff are clowns.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’ve no idea why we insist on outswinging. It means the attacker has to generate all the power himself. If you inswing then any touch could carry the ball in. You are also more likely to force the defender to head it out for another corner.

TeddyBear

'Ole's CL goal was overrated'
To think that we have got a new set pieces coach in recently.

Ironic isn't it.

Seriously I wonder what do they do in training.

All fun and laughter judging from those training pictures ?

When it comes to real matches ? Frustration and ineptness from top to bottom.

hobbers

Outswinging corners by players who are shit corner takers generally. Namely Shaw and Bruno.

Also if you have Ronaldo, Pogba, McTominay and Varane in the box why on god's earth would you also put Lindelof in there? If those 4 dont get to the ball what chance does he have?

The set up we always have is to leave Fred and AWB as the deepest lying players. Two players we know are prone to gaffs, panicking, slow reactions and generally dozing off. So it's no surprise we're more of a danger to ourselves than the opposition from our own corners.

Varun

Staff
Having Fred as a 2 man cover is like starting the corner with a 1 v 1 opportunity for the opposition.

croadyman

I have seen Shaw put in some decent delivery last season but we just can't seem to hit any of Pogba, Edi, Varane, Maguire, Ronny or McTominay which is an absolute joke

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Pogba, Maguire are very bad in the air. They get to the ball because of their height and strength but good luck keeping those headers on target

Robin

Corners at both ends are a problem for United, the corner that led to the disallowed goal for Everton being a prime example, we have 11 players defending, we had 8 players marking 3 of theirs, we know DDG doesn’t like coming out so why crowd the penalty area, we concede from so many. What happened to the days when we had 2 players on the half way line meaning the opposition need 3 back to mark them. We leave them with their back players stood half way between the half way line and penalty area. We should go back to player marking and not this zonal crap.

Foxbatt

Pogba, Maguire are very bad in the air. They get to the ball because of their height and strength but good luck keeping those headers on target
This is the exact point I am making. We are always try to get a first time header for Maguire to score. He is terrible in directing it so he should be at the near post to flick across. He can do this very well.

diarm

Why are all our corners outswingers as well?

Instead of whipping inswingers in towards the penalty spot and making teams worry about defending against us, we seem intent on floating these nothing outswingers which are easier to defend and 9 times out of 10 recently, seem to result in us being cut to shreds on the counter.

It's obviously a tactic from above but I'd love to see what they've seen in the last 900 attempts that makes them think it's of any use.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Having Fred as a 2 man cover is like starting the corner with a 1 v 1 opportunity for the opposition.
Yeah. It's crazy using Shaw to take the corners. And even worse when he needs to jog over to the right hand side for them. Conversely, I agree with those saying we should be leaving 2 players up the half way line or at least primed to attack on the break when we defend them.

tomaldinho1

Didn’t we get a corner coach in a few months ago? I haven’t seen anything new yet
We genuinely seem worse after the set piece coach arrived. We did try one freekick move against Villarreal (not the goal, the FK after) where there was a disguised run to the back stick, think it was Pogba, but that is all I can think of that seems different.

Lynty

I remember a European game last season, perhaps Telles debut - when his corners were menacing.

I haven't seen a good corner kick since then. Andreas Pereira was possibly the next best. Delivery is something our players really need to work on.

galwayfa

Pogba is best header of the ball, pity it wasn't on target most of the times though, he gets up so high
Maguire for England is more accurate than he is for utd with headers,
Actually Ronaldo is best header of ball now, but point stands, we have 3 great headers of the ball, feck all goals

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Pogba is best header of the ball, pity it wasn't on target most of the times though, he gets up so high
Maguire for England is more accurate than he is for utd with headers,
Actually Ronaldo is best header of ball now, but point stands, we have 3 great headers of the ball, feck all goals
This makes no sense, you cannot be best header of the ball if you cannot hit the target once in a while. He has great physical attributes that allow him to get to high balls but the rest is very meh

Bestofthebest

I remember Gordon McQueen being our top scorer at one time and I think they were all headers. He was lethal at corners and free kicks but not seen any centre backs since his time at OT to match him. Anyway, we have been rubbish at corners and throw ins for quite a long time now so this one is not on Ole.

galwayfa

This makes no sense, you cannot be best header of the ball if you cannot hit the target once in a while. He has great physical attributes that allow him to get to high balls but the rest is very meh
Actually one time he got it on target and scored was given against him, he gets up so high but his direction of the ball is terrible

Kag

It’s unforgivable, this. Happens way to often to be anything other than structural issues of the set up.