Our POTY 2019/20

United's POTY this season?

• Total voters

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He is definitely behind the other 3. But I don't think his contribution should be underestimated. Its nothing sexy but he has been a model of consistency.
Only in terms of match-fitness. In terms of performances, it was anything but – he's had periods when he had looked world-class and then he'd make mistake after mistake game in game out (and then turn to being good again).

Silas

Martial for me. Rashford 2nd choice, but I'd say Martial's been more integral to our play. And he's scored 1 pen to Rashford's 7.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Yes. Fred was outstanding every game all season. With Bruno, it is a combination of many things IMO, but he only needs to breathe and everyone starts eulogising to me. I don’t think, purely as a footballer, passing, shooting/scoring, dribbling etc - he has been our best player by a long stretch. It’s mostly all these ‘lifted the team’ intangibles. I’m aware he has impressive numbers, but I don’t think he’s necessarily been an objectively outstanding footballer. Very hit and miss, but coupled with the upturn in our results and the wave of positivity, I think he’s perhaps been a little overpraised, and I expect that to slowly dissipate over time.

Even since he has been here, he hasn’t shown nearly the consistent actual quality that Martial has shown, for me. He’s a weird one to judge because he seems to have ‘impacted’ the team, and as the consensus goes ‘making others play better’. But those ‘others’ are better players I think. I think he’s a level below the likes of Martial and Rashford as players frankly, and Greenwood in terms of talent too.
I’m struggling with the phrase “objectively outstanding footballer” to damn Bruno and praise Fred. This is a non-holding midfielder who makes players like Gibson, Cleverly, Anderson etc. look like De Bruyne in the final third in comparison. He’s utterly horrendous, a complete liability with the ball in the final third. Poor decision making, coupled with worse execution. He’s been saved from ignominy of most shots in the PL without scoring by being rightly sidelined. Zero assists too.

“Objectively outstanding footballer” is some phrase.

SER19

Incredible how tough this is compared to previous years, it's a credit to solskjaer

SAFMUTD

Bruno's impact has been massive but it feels odd to give POTY to a player that wont even play half the matches.

So out of the bunch must be Rashford.

The Red Thinker

Marcus Rashford.

He carried this team during the toughest moments of our season. Was pivotal in the big games and became the focus of our attack without Pogba.

His leadership of the team in attack was amazing to watch. Now, post lock down , he's been instrumental in that left side with a number of great assists and a couple of goals to boot.

Rashford for me.

Bruno is disqualified as he's played like 10 games.

Web of Bissaka

Incredible how tough this is compared to previous years, it's a credit to solskjaer
18/19 and definitely 16/17 are way tougher.

This one is easily Bruno vs Rashford. Rashford gained more favor for not missing one-half of this season.

Martial is recency bias, almost no one is saying he's poty last year nor last jan/feb this year.
Then there's some who is just amazed by Fred for whatever bizarre reasons that doesn't make sense, backing supposedly by his performances claimed to be he's carrying the whole team.

Web of Bissaka

Bruno is disqualified as he's played like 10 games.
17 games and increasing.

What threshold number of games would qualify him?

Rashford missed 13 games and counting when he's injured.

If the season continued (no C19 break), then Rashford would miss about 8 games,
39 - 8 = 31 games
Doubt he's returning, it was a bad injury (still recovering end of April updates).

If we add the 4 games left to play, then Bruno would be 21 games + potentially 6 more games = 27 games.

When that happened, will Rashford name still considered since he basically miss out roughly one-half of the season?
I'm sure people would still include him. I would.
So I don't get this Bruno is lacking in terms of games.

The break definitely helped giving Rashford more than enough times to recover and play.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’m struggling with the phrase “objectively outstanding footballer” to damn Bruno and praise Fred. This is a non-holding midfielder who makes players like Gibson, Cleverly, Anderson etc. look like De Bruyne in the final third in comparison. He’s utterly horrendous, a complete liability with the ball in the final third. Poor decision making, coupled with worse execution. He’s been saved from ignominy of most shots in the PL without scoring by being rightly sidelined. Zero assists too.

“Objectively outstanding footballer” is some phrase.
He’s not a final third player though is he. We play with an actual 10, and it isn’t him. His ability on the ball in deeper areas is fine, much more than scrapping.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Lots of calls for Rashford but interesting that he's not even in your top 10 highest rated players with an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 here...

https://www.redcafe.net/match-day/#season-stats

From an outsiders point of view, it's Bruno by a mile.
Have you seen the thread where we competed to see who could give Rashford the most stick? Some have maintained those opinions of him this season. I think there's also a strong element of Rashford vs Martial fan rivalry that influences the appraisals of both players.

Rashford was our most important player for the first half of the season, Bruno for the second half. Would go for either of them, with Martial a close third for his post-lockdown performances and general semi-consistency.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
1. AWB
2. Martial
3. Rashford

Fernandes is a shout but he’s only been here half a season.

He'sRaldo

Have you seen the thread where we competed to see who could give Rashford the most stick? Some have maintained those opinions of him this season. I think there's also a strong element of Rashford vs Martial fan rivalry that influences the appraisals of both players.

Rashford was our most important player for the first half of the season, Bruno for the second half. Would go for either of them, with Martial a close third for his post-lockdown performances and general semi-consistency.
It doesn't make sense that Martial has the best non set piece stats, and it's still "semi-consistency". It seems like the other players' quiet games aren't really called out with the regularity that Martial's are, hence the illusion that Martial is inconsistent despite having the best stats at the club this season.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
It doesn't make sense that Martial has the best non set piece stats, and it's still "semi-consistency". It seems like the other players' quiet games aren't really called out with the regularity that Martial's are, hence the illusion that Martial is inconsistent despite having the best stats at the club this season.
I think "semi-consistency" is fair. None of our players have been truly consistent throughout the season. Rashford and Martial have similar stats. Both have had good and poor games over the season. Martial's poor games maybe don't stick out as much because he tends to be invisible rather than make glaring mistakes. Bruno has been a consistent difference-maker since he arrived, but he has only been here half a season.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Anthony Martial

The arrival of Bruno gave him a lot of help as he doesn't drop so deep anymore and is concentrated playing in the final 3rd/attacking the goal. On the other hand, even when our midfield had an off day and he was a bit isolated he managed to get things happen just by pure individual brilliance.

He had a good season before Bruno got here. After that, went up a level and overall was our best and most consistent player imo.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Great to have such a competition for POTY. Standout performance from the whole team. Goals spread among several players, 3 defenders being in discussion. Fred deserves a special mention for his role during the injury crisis and his progress.

Martial is my POTY. Consistency, determination, work ethics. The guy with a proper attitude. Just Wow. I couldn’t imagine I’d use Martial and those adjectives in the same paragraph.

Hoboman

Shaw, AWB and Martial were the most consistent players throughout the season (both pre and post season break), but Bruno has totally transformed this team's mentality, while contributing crazy amount of goals and assists.

Last edited:

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I'd feel a bit stupid saying it should be Fernandes even though he completely changed the season around after his arrival.

In which case, Martial.

Adamsk7

A few weeks ago I was thinking Rashford but now I’m leaning towards Martial. I mean I want to give it to Bruno but the other two have been doing the business all year

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Defender: Shaw
Midfield: Bruno, Matic a really strong 2nd
Attack: Martial
POTY: Bruno

RedStarUnited

I might be alone but I cant believe the amount of calls for Rashford. Has he really been better than Martial?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Anyone knows whether there will be end of season awards that we have every year?

Paul_Scholes18

I have already voted for Rashford, but I want to change towards Lingard.
That goal vs Leicester was so big that it deserves to give him player of the year.