Our POTY 2019/20

United's POTY this season?

• Total voters

Decomposing In Paris

I’m seeing discussion about this in the Martial thread. I’m so proud of our team atm, but I don’t think there’s many who have performed consistently for the whole season.

Fernandes has been brilliant since he arrived, but Matic’s impact since the turn of the year has been phenomenal too. That time period is only between January & the end of the season, but Fred for instance was brilliant in the run up to lockdown, but wasn’t to my memory in spectacular form at the beginning, Matic wasn’t even in the team.

My contenders:

Martial
Rashford
Wan Bissaka

My personal belief is that Martial deserves it, but the other two have been fantastic. What do you think?

Mark Armstrong

I think a pre-Fernandes Fred would have been my vote. Post lockdown he's not had too many chances, but he was doing a splendid job in my mind.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Rashy at the moment because of his big game clutch performances. But there's still time for Tony to do something about that.

SlyFiz

Rashford for me. Carried the team at times pre Bruno, till he got injured. And has been in fine form since the restart as well. Not to mention his off field performance!

Strelok

Rashford for me. Carried the team at times pre Bruno, till he got injured. And has been in fine form since the restart as well. Not to mention his off field performance!
Agreed.

Paul_Scholes18

It is between Rashford and Martial. I think personally it should go to Rashford. Although Martial has scored the same amount of goals and played well near the end.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
We’ve had a strange season, almost split into thirds really. I’d go with the following for each of those splits:

Aug - Nov: Rashford
Dec - Feb: Fred
Mar - Jul: Fernandes and Martial

Overall: Martial

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Seems a bit early to be doing this with potentially 9 games left and scenarios ranging from 5th and no trophies to 3rd and two major pieces of silverware.

So far I would say Rashford. He carried us through the most difficult time after a period where he was getting a lot of flack. That's special for a young player. Martial, Matic, AWB and Maguire have had good seasons too so far.

Bruno could well contend too if he has a big impact in us winning silverware. It cannot be understated what an impact he has had. It's a big shout, but is he the greatest January signing by any club since the transfer windows were introduced?

It's worth pointing out that this forum has Rashford with a 5.8 average rating this season. That's what he's been up against. Still massively underrated.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
With the exception of Fernandes I'm basing this on at least 20 starts.

For me it's Rashford or Martial - they've been incredible in terms of setting new standards and winning a lot of points on their own, Fernandes not miles behind, irrespective of how many games he plays.

De Gea - Er no, not this year mate.

AWB - not for me. Solid 1st season, but hasn't done enough to be considered the standout player.

Maguire - has steadied the ship slightly, the fee isn't his fault, but he's been 6.5/10 compared to Jones/Smalling at 4/10. Improved us, but could be improved on eventually.

Lindelof - I think generally he is underrated, but similar to Maguire he could be improved on.

Shaw - similar to AWB, solid, but hasn't enhanced his attacking game (although very unlucky not to be around 5 assists).

McTominay - Not this year - played his part until his injury, showed great passion and attitude in big games - but hasn't been great in his cameos post-lockdown.

Fred - Great player this season. Unlucky to be playing like this and not get the recognition deserved, but he doesn't play a role that will ever overshadow Rashford, Martial or Fernandes.

James - Of course not, although I think he would have benefitted from a proper break and pre-season more than anyone. Showed positive signs in big games in 2019. Fallen off a cliff since.

Web of Bissaka

I remember pre-Bruno, the popular candidates were Rashford, Fred, McTominay and also AWB?

In my opinion,
Pre-Bruno -- 1. McTominay, 2. Rashford, 3. AWB​
Post-Bruno - 1. Bruno only.​
Restart - 1. Martial, 2. Matic, 3. Bruno, 4. Rashford​
Still more games left. Enough to decide and turn things around.

Either Bruno or Rashford should get it.

Bruno for me, but I can see Rashford would be the popular choice because of obvious reasons.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Just to add, I don't really get the love for Fred. I think his shortcomings are massive part of why have been so poor against average and poor teams in the league. He's a non-holding midfielder that neither has a great passing range and carries no threat around the box. I think he has a role to play, but unless he can be trusted to player a deeper role behind Pogba and Bruno, he'll be benched for most of this and next season. I like him against big teams, but if you're on top in a game and you need a goal there's no way he should be on the field ahead of virtually any other midfielder we have.

Strelok

Seems a bit early to be doing this with potentially 9 games left and scenarios ranging from 5th and no trophies to 3rd and two major pieces of silverware.

So far I would say Rashford. He carried us through the most difficult time after a period where he was getting a lot of flack. That's special for a young player. Martial, Matic, AWB and Maguire have had good seasons too so far.

Bruno could well contend too if he has a big impact in us winning silverware. It cannot be understated what an impact he has had. It's a big shout, but is he the greatest January signing by any club since the transfer windows were introduced?

It's worth pointing out that this forum has Rashford with a 5.8 average rating this season. That's what he's been up against. Still massively underrated.
This is something tbh I can't understand with the caf. Not his rating but there are so many here seem to really hate him. Why ???

I can't even think of a single reason to hate the lad. While so many reasons to love him.

Web of Bissaka

We’ve had a strange season, almost split into thirds really. I’d go with the following for each of those splits:

Aug - Nov: Rashford
Dec - Feb: Fred
Mar - Jul: Fernandes and Martial

Overall: Martial
Indeed, it's an odd season.
Not to mention the injuries to Rashford and McT (the two early PoTY contenders).

Fred is our best player for only two months, Bruno takeover Feb onward.

slored1

Tony Martial for me. Apart from one bad month in January, he has been incredible for the whole season.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Top tier: Martial, Rashford, Fernandes either of those winning is fine by me.
Second tier: Fred, AWB, Greenwood.
Third tier: Shaw, McTominay, Maguire.

All has had good seasons.

Redlyn

Bruno has saved our season. Him by a distance for me.
9 games and he wins POTY by some distance? I mean did he earn POTY after 5 games and after 9 its now by some distance? There are like 50 games in the season.
Right now, not a chance that the club will give it to him. There is still time though to make it more debatable.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Rashford, Martial and Bruno for me the standouts. Hopefully one will make it there own before the end of the season. Can only be good for us

NinjaFletch

9 games and he wins POTY by some distance? I mean did he earn POTY after like 5 games and after 9 its now by some distance? There are like 50 games in the season.
Right now, not a chance that the club will give it to him. There is still time though to make it more debatable.
Yep, that's how good he's been and how much of a difference he's made. We're a completely different side with him in it and it's reflected by him winning both player of the month trophies whilst he has been here.

Rashford and Martial have both been good, but neither have had the insane impact Fernandes has had on our season.

MiracleInMadrid

Rashford for me. Martial is doing his best at the moment to push him for it though. But over the course of the season, Rashford has been instrumental especially in some defining moments. Big, big applause for them both though.

And by the way. How nice is it, that for once it is mainly the offensive players we are talking about? Says a lot of the season we have had.

Sylar

Bruno. End of the season he will have 20+ appearances.

But I think the impact he made, the turnaround weve made since hes come into the team has been immense.
Martial and Rashford have been really good too. But I think these two esp Martial have upped their game since Brunos introduction.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Giving it to Bruno is unfair, you might want to give it to Fred instead if we are only counting half season. Rashford/Martial instead, will go Martial since no penalty & free kick but Rashford did secured us some points without Bruno & Pogba when Martial was injured.

Blood Mage

Although he's been shite in the last couple of games, Wan Bissaka has been our most consistent performer this season overall.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Has to be Rashford, yeah.

Martial has been great, and Bruno has been fantastic since joining, but Rashford was carrying the attack alone at the early stages of the season when Martial and Pogba were out.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I know people don't like giving these things to someone who was only here for half a year, but Fernandes is as deserving as anyone. We were inconsistent as feck for half a year and the season was drifting on with some encouraging signs but not a chance at CL football. Then he comes, and we all know the impact he's had. Everyone has improved, but make no mistake, he's been the heart of it. Hes had the biggest impact on us IMO, and he's been incredibly productive in just 17 games that he's played. 8 goals and 9 assists already.

On the other hand, Maguire IMO has been very good all year and a huge improvement over our defence last year. Wan Bissaka very good throughout. Shaw as well. But the standout outfield players who have been here since day 1 are Martial and Rashford, without a doubt. Hard to separate them. Rashford was top in the first half, Martial in the 2nd.

If I had to pick, I would go:
  1. Bruno Fernandes
  2. Marcus Rashford
  3. Anthony Martial
Then a massive gap to Maguire/Wan Bissaka/Shaw, and Fred and McTominay rounding out the group who deserve recognition over the whole season.
Oh and Greenwood, but probably didn't have enough impact in the league over the season for YPOTY. Next season for him.