Our POTY 2019/20

United's POTY this season?

• Total voters

Withnail

Its more a question of how much you need to play to be included - if Bruno has played enough, he will win it.

If not - it should be between AWB, Martial and Rashford

Bruno's in the poll and a good bit behind Martial so far.

I didn't vote for him as he hasn't played enough for me.

Keefy18

Crazy the amount of people voting Bruno!

14 league games doesn't make a POTY!

spe88

Abysmal is very strong, he hasn't been that bad.

Lacking a bit of match fitness and sharpness as you say but after a pretty bad back injury, were lucky he managed to finis the season!

Still he provided us with 3 goals and 3 assists post lock down and more than done his part over that period.
OK abysmal may have been a bit strong, but when you see him do those silly flicks against West Ham, or the chance he had against Sheff Utd. He always makes things more complicated then they need to be.

When you compare his pass completion with Greenwood for the last 6 games - Rashford had 76% where as Greenwood had 86.7%. I counted Rashford giving the ball away 3 times in the first 7 minutes against Leicester.

He was great before January but after that, not so much. Let's hope he can get back to his best in time for the new season :)

OleBoiii

Its more a question of how much you need to play to be included - if Bruno has played enough, he will win it.
That seems to be the main problem. It's a no-brainer for the vast majority if half a season is enough.

I personally think it's enough time, but at the same time I'm gonna be stricter when judging the player who's played the least. If Bruno was only marginally better than Martial or Rashford, then I wouldn't have voted for him. This is not the case, though. Therefore, it's a very easy decision for me.

amsoUG

Will not be surprised if Bruno wins this.
It's just regular mind control from broadcasters - there has to be a scripted protagonist and/or antagonists to subconsciously drive audience affinity. The issue is when players and managers (Mourinho) start performing for the broadcasters who in return amplify their PR. Good coaches will curb this from afar - Pep and Dinho, Fergie and Becks.

Keefy18

No. But transforming the team does.
Not sure he did.

He played apart, don't get me wrong.

I see it as us being more the sum of the parts than anything.

He's played poor now for a few games recently and we've still managed to win games.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I agree that Martial n Rashford are certainly in contention for it but I have gone for Bruno. Despite him only signing in January no other player has had his level of impact and without him we'd have probably finished 6th or 7th at best. In fact I think it's certain we'd have struggled for CL.

spiriticon

The difference pre-Bruno and post-Bruno is just too great for me not to give him my vote, even if I think 14 games is really not a lot.

kopviolator

Not sure he did.

He's played poor now for a few games recently and we've still managed to win games.
He's been knackered - as the rest of the first team. But if you have not seen the transformation of the team since him arriving then you're watching with your blinders on.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Feel like the players will vote for Rashford. Been among our top 3 performers over the whole season, joint highest scorer and believe his charity work (whether you think should come into it or not) will definitely play on the minds of the players voting. You couldn't grumble really if Martial, Rashford or Bruno gets it.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Not sure he did.

The bolded is very true. Bruno been poor for a while now and we've still managed to get results out of those games mainly thanks to our attackers. Saying Bruno has been far away the best players since he's joined us is crazy given he's had plenty of poor games. It's also important to see contribution beyond goals and assists given that gives Bruno an advantage over other players because he takes all set pieces and we win a lot of penalties.

Bruno was poor in our last 5 games(Southampton, Palace, Chelsea, West Ham and Leicester) for people to claim that he was our best player during that period. Yet he still managed to record assists and goals on the back of the attackers brilliants performances(converted simple square passes to assists for him and win him penalties).

Martial has easily been more consistent than Bruno post lock down and been crucial for us during our poor run in these last game. He's literally contributed in all our games this months where the team was knackered from Aston Villa to the last game against Leicester. (Goal/penalty vs Bournemouth, assist vs Villa, goal/assist against Southampton, goal vs Palace, penalty vs Chelsea, assist vs West Ham, penalty vs Leicester). This is mostly a run of game were the team was off and players just not performing as good as when we just go back from lock down.

Martial has just been way too consistent(the most consistent player in our run in), especially during this difficult run(tired team) to not deserve it for me.

He's been knackered - as the rest of the first team. But if you have not seen the transformation of the team since him arriving then you're watching with your blinders on.
Hence why I think the player who managed to stay consistent despite the fatigue deserves it more. Martial consistently performed and showed up throughout all our knackered games while everyone else had bad games in between.

van Persie

True, but I can't take that vote seriously myself.
How? He came and completely changed our season? I understand why some would vote for Martial and Rashford, but Fernandes had a massive impact on our team.

iHicksy

True, but I can't take that vote seriously myself.
Well look at it this way. If Bruno doesn't join us, we don't get top 4. Hence, he's the player of the year. He transformed our season. Doesn't matter that he played half the games, he made those games the ones that counted and he made everyone around him better instantly.

van Persie

Will not be surprised if Bruno wins this.
It's just regular mind control from broadcasters - there has to be a scripted protagonist and/or antagonists to subconsciously drive audience affinity. The issue is when players and managers (Mourinho) start performing for the broadcasters who in return amplify their PR. Good coaches will curb this from afar - Pep and Dinho, Fergie and Becks.
Mind control? How was our season looking before Bruno joined and where we would have been without signing him?

Keefy18

Absolutely, the whole team limped across the line, but his performance dropped but someone like Martial was still technically very good in his hold up play, passing and overall work rate / involvement.

How? He came and completely changed our season? I understand why some would vote for Martial and Rashford, but Fernandes had a massive impact on our team.
Well look at it this way. If Bruno doesn't join us, we don't get top 4. Hence, he's the player of the year. He transformed our season. Doesn't matter that he played half the games, he made those games the ones that counted and he made everyone around him better instantly.
I don't doubt he had a huge impact in terms of morale and giving everyone a bit of a lift. Technically he was very good for a period but anything after the Norwich game it was very minor glimpses here and there and as others have pointed out he was absolutely burned out.

I just think if a player is getting an award with the name Sir Matt Busby attached to it, needs to be here a little bit longer than 14 league games.

Martial done well from the get go pretty much, was unlucky with his injury but hit the ground running fairly quickly again after it and adapted well to the demands asked of him at CF.

Saddy

I'm with you mate - Martial was still a bit inconsistent but Bruno has made Martial even better and transformed our season as 3rd/4th place was not possible without him which is why he wins it for me.

Rashford could have easily won the award if not for his back injury and has been quite poor in the last month - next season he will be back on form with some rest.

Special mention for Maguire playing so many matches and settling the back 4 down.

keithsingleton

On paper should really be a two horse race between Rashford & Martial. If Bruno had been here at he beginning of the season I'd have a closed book on him (( ex bookie )) and would be a land slide victory such the impact he's had on our team.

I just give Martial the edge. Our very own Mr Cool-calm-collective

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I voted for Bruno, simply because without him we would probably have finished behind Sheffield United. Martial and Rashford have performed superbly and come on leaps and bounds. But when our midfield couldn't get them the ball we were still being beaten by Bournemouth and Watford. Bruno transformed a team that relegation candidates could win against into a side they started to fear. I just can't look past that. The fact we haven't lost a league game he's played in, and we only started to look vulnerable while he and our first XI were run into the ground through overuse, speaks volumes.

Dr Foo

I think a pre-Fernandes Fred would have been my vote. Post lockdown he's not had too many chances, but he was doing a splendid job in my mind.
Agree with this. I think our great upturn in the second half with Fernandes (transmitting to the front 3) overshadows the great work and improvement in Fred this season. In a volatile team, he was one of our driving forces keeping us going first half of season. Him and Mctominay were doing really well up til the lockdown (remember that people were saying Pogba shouldn't be starting once he returns). If there is a minor criticism of Ole for the past few weeks is his lack of utilisation/or effective utilisation of our stellar performers pre lockdown - whether this is down to a lack of trust in their abilities or a calculated strategy to get the best 11 in as much as possible to rack points up I don't know. But if so, we need real depth for the manager to have no qualms about rotating

van Persie

Absolutely, the whole team limped across the line, but his performance dropped but someone like Martial was still technically very good in his hold up play, passing and overall work rate / involvement.

I don't doubt he had a huge impact in terms of morale and giving everyone a bit of a lift. Technically he was very good for a period but anything after the Norwich game it was very minor glimpses here and there and as others have pointed out he was absolutely burned out.

I just think if a player is getting an award with the name Sir Matt Busby attached to it, needs to be here a little bit longer than 14 league games.

Martial done well from the get go pretty much, was unlucky with his injury but hit the ground running fairly quickly again after it and adapted well to the demands asked of him at CF.
Bruno scored 8 goals and 7 assist in 14 league games. Martial 17 and 6 assist in 31. This while Bruno being the playmaker of our team and a midfielder and Martial a striker. I personally don't see how it is comparable knowing how we looked like before Fernandes joined. He completely changed our team. He played a part in Martial having the success he did afterwards, too. Actually he changed the whole outlook of our team.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Martial for me purely because he's done it all year and scored some big goals.

Bruno deserves special praise but let's be real he only played 1/2 the season.

van Persie

Martial for me purely because he's done it all year and scored some big goals.

Bruno deserves special praise but let's be real he only played 1/2 the season.
And he was the reason we turned it around.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
And he was the reason we turned it around.
He added quality sure, but does that mean we discount the first 6 months?

I think you can happily say Bruno deserves it also but I think even he himself would say it's a bit unfair to the others playing before he even got here.

Keefy18

Bruno scored 8 goals and 7 assist in 14 league games. Martial 17 and 6 assist in 31. This while Bruno being the playmaker of our team and a midfielder and Martial a striker. I personally don't see how it is comparable knowing how we looked like before Fernandes joined. He completely changed our team. He played a part in Martial having the success he did afterwards, too. Actually he changed the whole outlook of our team.
Yeah, it doesn't work like that mate :lol:

It isn't that straight forward to just say whoever has the most goal involvements wins.

Martial has adapted from a LW to a CF. When you play LW you play facing the goal and run at defenders, he is now being asked to play with his back to goal and negate his natural abilities of running / dribbling at defenders.

He has adapted to a very good #9 showing great hold up play, showing far more physicality, his link up play is superb and he has improved on his previous personal best for goals scored and overall goal involvements on top of all that.

Put it this way, Bruno has had only 14 games as I pointed out and then been poor in quite a few of the recent games as well. So its not like he's had 14 great to world class games, he has in reality had some very good games to some poor ones lately.

KennyBurner

Not if you put things into context.
The context is we are now playing with 10 outfield players instead of 9. There is no reason why a club like ours should have lingard/pereira playing as the main creative outlet. You could replace Bruno with any other top attacking player and we will still get the same result. It’s why Ole is willing to bleed our first team dry because he has come to the realization that we lack depth.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
According to the player ratings that we have here, it would go to Bruno with an average rating of 7.1. If we are saying that Bruno hasn't had enough appearances to be considered, then it is a tie between AWB and Martial with an average rating of 6.1. Interestingly enough, Romero has an average rating of 6.4 but only has 15 appearances while DeGea has an average rating of 5.8

https://www.redcafe.net/match-day/#season-stats

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Rashford and Fred looked like they were keeping the team afloat at various points during the season, but Martial and Bruno showed up during the business end of the season while we climbed up the table.

So I guess Martial gets the nod for being more valuable in the home stretch than Rashford and being here longer than Bruno.

Keefy18

He has also score 6 penalties. It should be rashford or martial.
Exactly, if he was here a bit longer then definitely consider him. But 14 league games, far too small a sample size to be deserving of it.

I think folks are making him into some kind of demigod.

always_hoping

For me.

1. Martial
2. Bruno
3. Wan Bissaka

The latter was very good/consistent before the lock down