Our Premier League Squad for 20/21 and why we haven't bought anyone else (yet)

Matriac

This post will explore the reasons for why we haven't confirmed any other signings yet, and why it's complicated to get it all to add up.

The rules for each teams squad for any season in the Premier League states that each team can comprise of a maximum of 25 players, 17 of which can be anyone, the remaining 8 needs to have homegrown status to be allowed in the squad. On top of this you can have an unlimited amount of U-21 players that can be utilized in the squad for games in the Premier League. This squad needs to be confirmed at the end of the transfer window, and if your name is not on the list by then you won't be allowed to play in the Premier League until you can be put on the list at the next transfer window. You can feature in domestic cups, but most senior players wouldn't like to not be eligible for league games.

We currently have 27 Senior Squad members, good thing is 15 of those have Homegrown status, so we have options. However, if we don't sell anyone we will have to leave 2 senior players out of the squad that can play Premier League matches, and that's before buying anyone else. Below I'll list our squad with some relevant info for this and next season.

Senior Squad Members
Keepers:

Name:Homegrown?Contract Ending Summer 2021Option for another year?
David de Gea
Dean HendersonYes
Sergio RomeroYesYes
Lee GrantYesYesNo
Grant is a likely candidate to be left out of the PL squad if need be, unless we move on Romero. I would guess Grant might move into our coaching team at some level once his contract runs out next summer.

Defenders:
Harry MaguireYes
Victor Lindelöf
Chris SmallingYes
Eric Bailly
Marcos RojoYesNo
Axel TuanzebeYes
Phil JonesYes
Luke ShawYes
Aaron Wan-BissakaYes
Timothy Fosu-MensahYesYesNo
As I understand we are hoping to sell Smalling, Rojo, Jones. Though Rojo's contract runs out next summer, so if we want to get rid of all 3 it's more important to sell the two others if we can't sell them all.

Midfielders:
Nemanja Matic
Paul PogbaYesYesYes
Donny van de Beek
Scott McTominayYes
Fred
Bruno Fernandes
Jesse LingardYesYesYes
Andreas PereiraYes
Juan MataYesYes

Attackers:
Marcus RashfordYes
Daniel JamesYes
Anthony Martial
Odion IghaloNo, but Jan 31st 2021

U-21 Regular First Team Squad Members
Name:U-21 for how much longerWill be Homegrown?
Diogo Dalot1 Season (this)Unsure, I think he missed it by 1 year? Unless this season counts.
Brandon Williams2 SeasonsYes
Mason Greenwood3 SeasonsYes
I'm only listing those U-21 that have featured regularly last season and who many consider part of the senior squad, Mengi and others come on top of these.

How to interpret the Squad Bingo:
As mentioned above, unless we sell anyone we will have to leave out 2 Senior players from the Premier League squad. For all we know, some might even have it in their contract that we can't drop them from the PL squad or they are owed x amount of money or something along those lines. If we buy anyone else like Telles we'll have to leave out 3 players.
Another factor in this is our negotiation power with clubs that might want to buy our undesired players. If they know we have to sell them to get down to our squad quota or we can't even use them, then they are more likely to lowball offer to us. Possibly what has happened with Roma and Smalling. We said we bought VdB earlier than planned because we had to as others wanted to close a deal, but before then we had to drop one player, Grant might have been the easy choice then since he will retire anyway, but for now we have to drop two.

Ighalo (likely) leaves in January, opening up one spot, so we have room for a winter addition at least if someone becomes available.

Looking onto next summer, if we sell nobody either now or in January. 7 players have contracts ending, 4 of those have options for another year. We'll guaranteed either extend or sign a new contract with Pogba at least. That means that we can potentially have 21 Senior Squad members next summer (with Ighalo having left earlier if no replacement in Jan, 6 more out of contract and Dalot no longer U-21), with 12/13 (of required 8) having Homegrown status. I don't think we will drop all 6, and we might extend with Lingard and possibly Mata. TFM might be offered a new contract if he does well in the coming months, if not he's free to pre-sign with others from January. Many other things may or may not happen as well. Maybe our squad is 23, or 25 if we buy two more players now/Jan.

If we were to sell/get rid of Smalling, Jones, Pereira, Lingard and not offer TFM a new contract, next summer we would have 9 or 10(unsure about Dalot) Homegrown. Some want us to sell James and Tuanzebe (and Dalot) as well. If so we'll be flying close to the limit of 8 if we are to have the maximum potential squad options of 25 players. This is likely another reason for the criticized "Brexit FC" strategy, why we looked closer at quality long-term additions with Homegrown status, since it seemed likely we would get rid of a lot of our older ones. If we buy Sancho this window he will be Homegrown, but not if we buy next summer (unless I'm mistaken).

This also explains why we can't easily take punts on cheap players like Jens Petter Hauge as many have wanted lately, he would be U-21 for this season, but next summer he would be a senior squad member with no Homegrown status. Which player in the squad's place would he take? Mata has no homegrown, but plays a different role. Pereira is perhaps a good shout, but we will lose out on another Homegrown squad member.

Conclusion:
There are a lot of possibilities to consider with how to make our current squad fit the quota of 25 for this and the next season, plus leaving room for desired additions. As mentioned I have no idea if we are unable to drop some/most players from the PL Squad due to contractual obligations. There are several players we would like to sell now, but the covid climate is probably not making that easier, plus the fact that clubs know that we HAVE to sell players now. Especially if we want to buy anyone else before the window closes. It's a game of chicken, and what losses we might be willing to take when it all comes down to the deadline now.

I think we will sell Smalling in the end of this window, and if we don't sell Romero we will leave Grant out of the PL squad. But if we want to buy any other players we have to sell someone, or leave someone out of the squad. This is another reason why we can't drop our interest in Sancho to instead buy 3 other squad players, cause there's currently no room in the squad.

I'm not sure how much of this is news to most people on here, but it's a thread I've been wanting to write for some days as I see so many wondering why we aren't all over cheap deals or why we haven't signed more players yet. The simple answer is we have to sell, and do what we can to not end up players short of homegrown status in the longer run (good thing our academy really helps with this).

Last edited:
Reactions: Invictus

pacifictheme

Yeah i am not sure it's about raising funds as much as just having an insanely bloated squad that's not sustainable. Especially with everything that's currently happening.

Matriac

Giving this a cheeky bump now postgame since some seem to be whinging for signings in various threads, replacing our entire defense and so on. Maybe after we get rid of our defenders that can't even make the bench.
That said, personal opinion is our defense is decent, and could be real stronk with 1-2 signings from now till end of next summer window, but want us to get rid of 3-4 first.

Bwuk

This post will explore the reasons for why we haven't confirmed any other signings yet, and why it's complicated to get it all to add up.

The rules for each teams squad for any season in the Premier League states that each team can comprise of a maximum of 25 players, 17 of which can be anyone, the remaining 8 needs to have homegrown status to be allowed in the squad. On top of this you can have an unlimited amount of U-21 players that can be utilized in the squad for games in the Premier League. This squad needs to be confirmed at the end of the transfer window, and if your name is not on the list by then you won't be allowed to play in the Premier League until you can be put on the list at the next transfer window. You can feature in domestic cups, but most senior players wouldn't like to not be eligible for league games.

We currently have 27 Senior Squad members, good thing is 15 of those have Homegrown status, so we have options. However, if we don't sell anyone we will have to leave 2 senior players out of the squad that can play Premier League matches, and that's before buying anyone else. Below I'll list our squad with some relevant info for this and next season.

Senior Squad Members
Keepers:

David de Gea
Dean HendersonYes
Sergio RomeroYesYes
Lee GrantYesYesNo
Grant is a likely candidate to be left out of the PL squad if need be, unless we move on Romero. I would guess Grant might move into our coaching team at some level once his contract runs out next summer.

Defenders:
Harry MaguireYes
Victor Lindelöf
Chris SmallingYes
Eric Bailly
Marcos RojoYesNo
Axel TuanzebeYes
Phil JonesYes
Luke ShawYes
Aaron Wan-BissakaYes
As I understand we are hoping to sell Smalling, Rojo, Jones. Though Rojo's contract runs out next summer, so if we want to get rid of all 3 it's more important to sell the two others if we can't sell them all.

Midfielders:
Nemanja Matic
Paul PogbaYesYesYes
Donny van de Beek
Scott McTominayYes
Fred
Bruno Fernandes
Jesse LingardYesYesYes
Andreas PereiraYes
Juan MataYesYes

Attackers:
Marcus RashfordYes
Daniel JamesYes
Anthony Martial

Diogo Dalot1 Season (this)Unsure, I think he missed it by 1 year? Unless this season counts.
I'm only listing those U-21 that have featured regularly last season and who many consider part of the senior squad, Mengi and others come on top of these.

As mentioned above, unless we sell anyone we will have to leave out 2 Senior players from the Premier League squad. For all we know, some might even have it in their contract that we can't drop them from the PL squad or they are owed x amount of money or something along those lines. If we buy anyone else like Sancho we'll have to leave out 3 players. Another factor in this is our negotiation power with clubs that might want to buy our undesired players. If they know we have to sell them to get down to our squad quota or we can't even use them, then they are more likely to lowball offer to us. Possibly what has happened with Roma and Smalling. We said we bought VdB earlier than planned because we had to as others wanted to close a deal, but before then we had to drop one player, Grant might have been the easy choice then since he will retire anyway, but for now we have to drop two.

Ighalo (likely) leaves in January, opening up one spot, so we have room for a winter addition at least if someone becomes available.

Looking onto next summer, if we sell nobody either now or in January. 7 players have contracts ending, 4 of those have options for another year. We'll guaranteed either extend or sign a new contract with Pogba at least. That means that we can potentially have 21 Senior Squad members next summer (with Ighalo having left earlier if no replacement in Jan, 6 more out of contract and Dalot no longer U-21), with 12/13 (of required 8) having Homegrown status. I don't think we will drop all 6, and we might extend with Lingard and possibly Mata. TFM might be offered a new contract if he does well in the coming months, if not he's free to pre-sign with others from January. Many other things may or may not happen as well. Maybe our squad is 23, or 25 if we buy two more players now/Jan.

If we were to sell/get rid of Smalling, Jones, Pereira, Lingard and not offer TFM a new contract, next summer we would have 9 or 10(unsure about Dalot) Homegrown. Some want us to sell James and Tuanzebe (and Dalot) as well. If so we'll be flying close to the limit of 8 and may have to list U21 players like Williams and Greenwood to fit the quota, leaving less room for other senior player additions. This is likely another reason for the criticized "Brexit FC" strategy, why we looked closer at quality long-term additions with Homegrown status, since it seemed likely we would get rid of a lot of our older ones. If we buy Sancho this window he will be Homegrown, but not if we buy next summer (unless I'm mistaken).

This also explains why we can't easily take punts on cheap players like Jens Petter Hauge as many have wanted lately, he would be U-21 for this season, but next summer he would be a senior squad member with no Homegrown status. Which player in the squad's place would he take? Mata has no homegrown, but plays a different role. Pereira is perhaps a good shout, but we will lose out on another Homegrown squad member.

Conclusion:
There are a lot of possibilities to consider with how to make our current squad fit the quota of 25 for this and the next season, plus leaving room for desired additions. As mentioned I have no idea if we are unable to drop some/most players from the PL Squad due to contractual obligations. There are several players we would like to sell now, but the covid climate is probably not making that easier, plus the fact that clubs know that we HAVE to sell players now. Especially if we want to buy anyone else before the window closes. It's a game of chicken, and what losses we might be willing to take when it all comes down to the deadline now.

I think we will sell Smalling in the end of this window, and if we don't sell Romero we will leave Grant out of the PL squad. But if we want to buy any other players we have to sell someone, or leave someone out of the squad. This is another reason why we can't drop our interest in Sancho to instead buy 3 other squad players, cause there's currently no room in the squad.

I'm not sure how much of this is news to most people on here, but it's a thread I've been wanting to write for some days as I see so many wondering why we aren't all over cheap deals or why we haven't signed more players yet. The simple answer is we have to sell, and do what we can to not end up players short of homegrown status in the longer run (good thing our academy really helps with this).
This is a brilliant post.

Matriac

This is a brilliant post.
Cheers for that!

On a re-read I noticed a slight error (that I just fixed) where I said we might need to bring U21 players up to fill the quota, but we can of course instead not have the full 25 squad if we don't have enough Homegrown players.

But yeah, while this is somewhat complicated to navigate for the club, the facts of it should be easy to understand for most people. I'm often tempted to reply with this thread to half the posts in the transfer forum.

But yeah, of course, we should just sell players with a loss as soon as possible so we can make some more record purchases. :)

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Really brilliant post - thanks for writing!

To be honest I hadn’t considered this at all, and many strange issues make a lot of sense now (eg Roma’s bravado in Smalling transfer fee).

‘need to sell before we buy’ is actually about squad registration rather than the fees they will bring in.

also next summer looks like it could be a massive transfer bonanza ... but won’t because we will be skint :lol:

Last edited:

rollingstoned1

good thread and it highlights why we need to tread lightly as far as adding players to the squad willy-nilly goes. I've had a look at the schedule and it may actually be a blessing in disguise if we do not manage to sell quite a few of those whom we/the caf wants to sell because we will need all the bodies this season imo, even if there is a big drop off in quality. It is too late now to offload 5 players and even sign 3 so in that case my hunch is somehow we will sign Sancho and sell Smalling because the arithmetic wouldn't be disturbed and we won't be in a position where we go into an even more gruelling season than the last one with no depth.

CG1010

This is good to know, that's for the OP. In all likelihood we would have threatened the likes of Rojo, Pereira or Jones that we will not even register you for premier league competitions if you do not get a move on. Hopefully that will spur some of them to do so. But either ways I can see why things will go right up to the end of the transfer window in that case.

Also it is striking the sheer number of players we have who play no role on the pitch:

Sergio Romero (after being pushed to #3)
Lee Grant
Marcos Rojo
Axel Tuanzebe
Phil Jones
Jesse Lingard
Andreas Pereira
Juan Mata
Odion Ighalo
Diogo Dalot

Total of 10 players

DeeDee7

Gosh it makes me happy to each and everyone of those contracts expiring at seasons end. Please goodbye Pogba. Would not even bother with an extension.

DevilsOwn

Good post OP. A very valid point.

We literally have de-Ed Wood across the team which needs to be moved before we can do anything positive

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
This is good to know, that's for the OP. In all likelihood we would have threatened the likes of Rojo, Pereira or Jones that we will not even register you for premier league competitions if you do not get a move on. Hopefully that will spur some of them to do so. But either ways I can see why things will go right up to the end of the transfer window in that case.

Also it is striking the sheer number of players we have who play no role on the pitch:

Lee Grant
Marcos Rojo
Axel Tuanzebe
Phil Jones
Jesse Lingard
Andreas Pereira
Juan Mata
Odion Ighalo
Diogo Dalot

Total of 10 players
squad OGS inherited was so unbalanced because it was the summation of 4 different managers adding their little bits.

When Ole and Woody committed to the ‘cultural reset’ they were very serious! Feels like OGS has been allowed to define what makes a ‘Manchester United’ player and all the rest are being removed as quickly as is possible.

Remember Klopp brought in 25+ players and let go of 30 on his 4 years before winning the league.

I think OGS will be involved at the club for quite a while now and also be very influential in who we are allowed to sign. Makes zero sense that we’d allow another manager the freedom to build a squad in his image. So if OGS does move out from manager, I can see he’ll just go upstairs as DoF.

Last edited:

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Great post. I guess the general take away from this is why the feck we have not attempted to move on more players this window.

Its clear that the usual suspects are not trusted nor good enough to play in the league or the CL, so basically we have 5-6 first teamers who are only fit to play in the domestic cups.

Water Melon

Senior Squad Members
Keepers:

David de Gea
Dean HendersonYes
Sergio RomeroYesYes
Lee GrantYesYesNo

Defenders:
Harry MaguireYes
Victor Lindelöf
Chris SmallingYes
Eric Bailly
Marcos RojoYesNo
Axel TuanzebeYes
Phil JonesYes
Luke ShawYes
Aaron Wan-BissakaYes

Midfielders:
Nemanja Matic
Paul PogbaYesYesYes
Donny van de Beek
Scott McTominayYes
Fred
Bruno Fernandes
Jesse LingardYesYesYes
Andreas PereiraYes
Juan MataYesYes

Attackers:
Marcus RashfordYes
Daniel JamesYes
Anthony Martial

As mentioned above, unless we sell anyone we will have to leave out 2 Senior players from the Premier League squad. For all we know, some might even have it in their contract that we can't drop them from the PL squad or they are owed x amount of money or something along those lines. If we buy anyone else like Sancho we'll have to leave out 3 players.
Another factor in this is our negotiation power with clubs that might want to buy our undesired players. If they know we have to sell them to get down to our squad quota or we can't even use them, then they are more likely to lowball offer to us. Possibly what has happened with Roma and Smalling. We said we bought VdB earlier than planned because we had to as others wanted to close a deal, but before then we had to drop one player, Grant might have been the easy choice then since he will retire anyway, but for now we have to drop two.

If we were to sell/get rid of Smalling, Jones, Pereira, Lingard and not offer TFM a new contract, next summer we would have 9 or 10(unsure about Dalot) Homegrown. Some want us to sell James and Tuanzebe (and Dalot) as well. If so we'll be flying close to the limit of 8 if we are to have the maximum potential squad options of 25 players. This is likely another reason for the criticized "Brexit FC" strategy, why we looked closer at quality long-term additions with Homegrown status, since it seemed likely we would get rid of a lot of our older ones. If we buy Sancho this window he will be Homegrown, but not if we buy next summer (unless I'm mistaken).

Conclusion:

Quality post this one is. Learned a lot.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I don't see this as being an issue, we named 23 players in our squad last season, the rest were under 21s.
The only additions added on I believe are Henderson, Smalling and DVDB and Ighalo.
We have also lost Mitchell who was counted as a player, we also had Young as a registered player.
Grant will be left out if no goalkeeper goes, Smalling and Dojo are as good as gone already.
This is a non issue.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I don't see this as being an issue, we named 23 players in our squad last season, the rest were under 21s.
The only additions added on I believe are Henderson, Smalling and DVDB and Ighalo.
We have also lost Mitchell who was counted as a player, we also had Young as a registered player.
Grant will be left out if no goalkeeper goes, Smalling and Dojo are as good as gone already.
This is a non issue.
Ths issue is we cant even sign Sancho unless one current squad member who is on decent wages leaves.

Is one of the key reasons why we have-not been able to sign many players this window.

Hughes35

Lee Grant
Marcos Rojo
Axel Tuanzebe
Phil Jones
Jesse Lingard
Andreas Pereira
Juan Mata
Odion Ighalo
Diogo Dalot

Total of 10 players

Scary really isn't it.

Where do we think a team the team below would finish in the league?

----------------Romero---------------
Jones------Tuanzebe--------Rojo-------Dalot
--------------Mensa-------Another CM----------------------
Mata----------------Pereira----------------Lingard
--------------------------Ighalo-------------------------

I think easily in the bottom half. Maybe battling relegation. It shows how poor the full squad is.

Matriac

Gosh it makes me happy to each and everyone of those contracts expiring at seasons end. Please goodbye Pogba. Would not even bother with an extension.
Well that won't happen, you should know that. We paid £89m for him, and according to Transfermarkt he's still worth at least €80m.

After the window closes and we hopefully have shown some intent with the incoming signings we'll move on to planning for next season and beyond. We'll offer Pogba a new improved long-term deal as a courtesy instead of just extending. But his team will know that if they turn it down then we will just use the extension option before January so that he can't presign with anyone.
We'll have all of spring to try to do couples therapy and get everyone happy after all, but if it turns out that anything other than the divorce is inconceivable we'll likely sell him in the summer for whatever we can get north of €50m.

Personal opinion is I think he's class and I hope he retires here.

Good post OP. A very valid point.

We literally have de-Ed Wood across the team which needs to be moved before we can do anything positive
:lol:
Made me chuckle!

diarm

Ths issue is we cant even sign Sancho unless one current squad member who is on decent wages leaves.

Is one of the key reasons why we have-not been able to sign many players this window.
We can surely still sign Sancho and just not register one of the players we want to sell, even if they don't end up leaving?

In fact, the threat of that might get a couple of them to have a look at themselves in terms of wage demands.

Matriac

We can surely still sign Sancho and just not register one of the players we want to sell, even if they don't end up leaving?

In fact, the threat of that might get a couple of them to have a look at themselves in terms of wage demands.
Yeah, I think we will sign Sancho no matter, but that part of the reason for the delay is trying to sort out the whole cabal.

Why the loan deal now for Pereira, even without obligation to buy, is a good deal for us at this point. Clears one player off the quota for now, we can push for a better deal on Smalling and bring on Jadon without dropping anyone else than Grant from the squad.

Once the dominos start falling we might get some more done as well.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Yeah, I think we will sign Sancho no matter, but that part of the reason for the delay is trying to sort out the whole cabal.

Why the loan deal now for Pereira, even without obligation to buy, is a good deal for us at this point. Clears one player off the quota for now, we can push for a better deal on Smalling and bring on Jadon without dropping anyone else than Grant from the squad.

Once the dominos start falling we might get some more done as well.
what does that mean?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Sure, but its wasted $$$ on the wage bill, which wont be acceptable during pandemic financial fall out?

Matriac

what does that mean?
Just what we talked about above.
In which order to buy or sell, and that we have to get rid of 3 from the squad before the window closes if we buy him.

If Roma tried to play hardball for Smalling it would not help our chances for getting a decent fee for him if we buy Sancho first. Either wait to sell Smalling first or move on someone else, like Pereira on a loan perhaps.

Edit: I probably butchered a Norwegian idiom while quickly replying between Netflix episodes here now. Not a cabal/clique of people, but the card-game solitaire is called Kabal in Norwegian. As in which order to put down all the cards for it to be solved.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
squad OGS inherited was so unbalanced because it was the summation of 4 different managers adding their little bits.

When Ole and Woody committed to the ‘cultural reset’ they were very serious! Feels like OGS has been allowed to define what makes a ‘Manchester United’ player and all the rest are being removed as quickly as is possible.

Remember Klopp brought in 25+ players and let go of 30 on his 4 years before winning the league.

I think OGS will be involved at the club for quite a while now and also be very influential in who we are allowed to sign. Makes zero sense that we’d allow another manager the freedom to build a squad in his image. So if OGS does move in from manager, I can see he’ll just go upstairs as DoF.
Excellent post. I've been thinking pretty much the same thing. Ole has the club at heart, and has done pretty well so far, and like it or not, he has bought well. Maguire and AWB have certainly tightened up the defence (albeit we probably paid over the odds, but getting CL has, in a way, vindicated those signings), Fernandes has been brilliant, even when he's played poorly, he still manages to create, or score, we just need to get the right midfield around him. James has been very up and down, would like to see him play on the left this week against Brighton, he certainly needs to learn quite a bit as a Premiership player. A loan to Leeds may be beneficial (if we get a right sided attacker).
We still need to get a number of players out of the club, either now, or hopefully in the winter break, with several players coming in, hopefully, this week.
If things don't go well this season, then I can certainly see Ole being given a new role as DOF, with a new head coach/manager coming in.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Excellent post. I've been thinking pretty much the same thing. Ole has the club at heart, and has done pretty well so far, and like it or not, he has bought well. Maguire and AWB have certainly tightened up the defence (albeit we probably paid over the odds, but getting CL has, in a way, vindicated those signings), Fernandes has been brilliant, even when he's played poorly, he still manages to create, or score, we just need to get the right midfield around him. James has been very up and down, would like to see him play on the left this week against Brighton, he certainly needs to learn quite a bit as a Premiership player. A loan to Leeds may be beneficial (if we get a right sided attacker).
We still need to get a number of players out of the club, either now, or hopefully in the winter break, with several players coming in, hopefully, this week.
If things don't go well this season, then I can certainly see Ole being given a new role as DOF, with a new head coach/manager coming in.
Thanks.

I think this is what critics of Ole's leadership and coaching dont understand. After such a botched post SAF transition, the club must have a set of core values to build and grow from. We need to understand what our core purpose is. OGS got lucky in getting the job but ensured he took his opportunity to provide stimulus that very few other candidates could provide. This resulted in the 'cultural reset' that has been talked about and the long list of players who no longer have a future at the club.

Ironically, this is exactly what OleOUT fans are also craving: a modern and coherent philosophy of football that wins trophies. Ole has to be at the heart of this, no matter his role, else it wont be Manchester United any more. The only issue is does OGS have the coaching skills to realise his vision. If Ole isn't a hipster enough coach, we make sure he is surrounded by coaches that he can delegate to. But all of this all have to be within his framework of values and culture.

Last edited:

diarm

Sure, but its wasted $$$ on the wage bill, which wont be acceptable during pandemic financial fall out?
Oh 100%.

I'm totally with you on your point about Ole and his cultural reset as well. I've been crying for it since long before he took over and it's the reason he'd still have my full backing if he lost every game between now and Christmas.

The problems at the club are so much bigger than what tactics we use. He's doing a thankless job that no other manager would do, because they'd (rightly) be too worried about protecting themselves and their job.

Let the man finish the job he has started. Once he has a squad full of players who are here for the right reasons, then we can make a call as to whether or not he's the right choice tactically and if not, move him upstairs into the DoF position.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Thanks.

I think this is what critics of Ole's leadership and coaching dont understand. After such a botched transition after SAF, the club must have a set of core values to build and grow from. We need to understand what our core purpose is. OGS got lucky in getting the job but ensured he took his opportunity to provide stimulus that very few other candidates could provide. This resulted in the 'cultural reset' that has been talked about and the long list of players who no longer have a future at the club.

Ironically, this is exactly what OleOUT fans are also craving: a modern and coherent philosophy of football that wins trophies. Ole has to be at the heart of this, no matter his role, else it wont be Manchester United any more. The only issue is does OGS have the coaching skills to realise his vision. If Ole isn't a hipster enough coach, we make sure he is surrounded by coaches that he can delegate to. But all of this all have to be within his framework of values and culture.
Absolutely. Just changing the manager every 2-3 years makes no sense.
I've been pro Ole all the way, but this was as an antidote to all the 'Ole out' brigade, who just want to get a new man in, regardless of the consequences of another change at the top. I do question some of Ole's decisions, both team selection, and playing style, and a his loyalty to some players who are selected even when not performing to their capabilities (Lindelof, Pogba for example), but I seriously want him involved for many years, as a DOF perhaps, but unfortunately for him, he seems like the ideal candidate at the moment.
I feel that the squad are hamstrung to a certain extent, by the very poor transfer activity of Ed and Matt Judge. Surely by now we could have moved two or three of our so called 'deadwood', and possibly brought in an attacking right sided player.
The future of the club is looking stronger, with some good prospects going out on loan, a number in the U23's, and the U18's looking great, so I can see a time when we could have a steady supply of academy players coming into the squad, and pushing the established players to perform, that would make me very happy, but we need to stick with Ole for now, and support him.
I see that, apparently, top 4 is the minimum that the club want, so anything less than that could see the end of Ole, but how can he succeed when every other club in the Prem, has brought in more players than we have, and we've had no pre season as such.

DeeDee7

Well that won't happen, you should know that. We paid £89m for him, and according to Transfermarkt he's still worth at least €80m.

After the window closes and we hopefully have shown some intent with the incoming signings we'll move on to planning for next season and beyond. We'll offer Pogba a new improved long-term deal as a courtesy instead of just extending. But his team will know that if they turn it down then we will just use the extension option before January so that he can't presign with anyone.
We'll have all of spring to try to do couples therapy and get everyone happy after all, but if it turns out that anything other than the divorce is inconceivable we'll likely sell him in the summer for whatever we can get north of €50m.

Personal opinion is I think he's class and I hope he retires here.

:lol:
Made me chuckle!
It does not matter what we paid for him. We paid to use our investment. And we have. We got our value (poor as it may be) and in turn will accrue no profit of any sale . Where have contract extensions gotten us thus far? No where. Players with mega agents these days hold the power, and with the wages big clubs like us pay they are happy nowadays to sacrifice less football in the short term for there pay packet.
Pogba is all talent but no heart. We COULD make it work but we have already gone down the path of Bruno and VDB. Our midfield needs a quality engine room and a fresh face in it. Pogba's exorbitant wages alone for another season hits the clubs finances hard. So what's the point?

Sure if old mate Raiola sat down with us to work out a mutual agreement where we use our year option and sell immediately to Madrid for say 40mill that'd be all roses and unicorns but that aint gonna happen.

Cut our loses and make immediate good moves for the better i say.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Unless, there’s some late moves, we are finally going to find ourselves in a situation where our squad is so bloated that we are literally paying people to sit in the stands:

DDG, Henderson, Romero

Maguire, Lindelöf, Bailly,

Shaw, AWB, Telles, (Williams)

Pogba, Bruno, Matic, DVB, Fred, McT, Lingard, Mata

Martial, Rashford, (Greenwood), Cavani, James, (Pellestri)

That’s 21 players (and 3 under 21s that don’t need to be registered).

That leaves all of Grant, Jones, Rojo, Tuanzebe, TFM and Ighalo all scrapping for the final two spots. Grant I assume will just be a playing coach, unless Romero leaves. I assume Tuanzebe and Jones are being written off because of injuries. Rojo will continue to be ostracised. That leaves TFM and Ighalo to be registered.

What an absolute mess.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Unless, there’s some late moves, we are finally going to find ourselves in a situation where our squad is so bloated that we are literally paying people to sit in the stands:

DDG, Henderson, Romero

That leaves all of Grant, Jones, Rojo, Tuanzebe, TFM and Ighalo all scrapping for the final two spots. Grant I assume will just be a playing coach, unless Romero leaves. I assume Tuanzebe and Jones are being written off because of injuries. Rojo will continue to be ostracised. That leaves TFM and Ighalo to be registered.

What an absolute mess.
I think Ighalo's loan will be terminated.

Josep Dowling

DDG, Henderson, Romero

What an absolute mess.
Its nicer to have too many players than not enough. Even if the transfers haven’t been as hoped. If we bought a RW most would have been happy if it all wasn’t last minute. Many fans didn’t want a CB until yesterday’s result.

onemanarmy

DDG, Henderson, Romero

What an absolute mess.
Ighalo will leave in 2 months. Rojo, Romero, Mata, TFM and Grant contracts expire in June. That's 6 players less at the end of the season.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Awkward for Rojo, not sure how it works when someone is training separately? Is it just awkward nods in the hallway?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I think we’ll pay up 2/3rds of Rojo’s contract and he’ll go back to Argentina. Jones we’ll loan in January when he’s fit again. Ighalo we won’t register. Romero and TFM need to leave in the next 30 minutes. Tuanzebe and Grant registered.

Matriac

DDG, Henderson, Romero

What an absolute mess.
There's 25 senior spots, though. So we leave out Grant, and either Rojo or maybe Jones if he's still injured. Then bring them back in during January when Ighalo (and others?) leave, unless that spot is needed for a new signing.

There's also the miniscule chance we sell/loan one of them to a Championship club over next 10 days, but won't hold my breath.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
There's 25 senior spots, though. So we leave out Grant, and either Rojo or maybe Jones if he's still injured. Then bring them back in during January when Ighalo (and others?) leave, unless that spot is needed for a new signing.

There's also the miniscule chance we sell/loan one of them to a Championship club over next 10 days, but won't hold my breath.
Shit, you’re right.

Matriac

Is Lingard out of contract next summer?
He is, but there is an option for another year, which we might trigger if Ole were to use him over the next months.

There is 7 players out of contract next summer, minus Pogba who we will guaranteed use the option for another year or sign a new deal with. I think we might keep Lingard for another year as backup, since he has Homegrown status and can play a peripheral role in the squad.