Our second goal vs Newcastle

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
A great example of when everyone is on the same wave length, one of our best team goals in recent years. The third goal is another example of that but this was more of a penetrative build up.

southwellweb

I completely agree, the quality of the goals we scored and some of our build up play was fantastic. We’re extremely well coached on fast build up play despite many in here thinking our coaching staff are useless. I really believe it’s a confidence issue sometimes. To play one touch fast football is tough when the pressure is on but once we get some form going again I have no doubt that we’ll see some great performances. Really nice goals and they got me excited again to see what we’re capable of

Reactions: golden_blunder

DMacgraw

This was just an innovative counter-attack. We are good at those. What we are poor at is making similar innovative passes and movements to break down parked buses.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I wholeheartedly agree this deserves its own thread. Build up was so purposeful and everyone involved did their job to perfection. The finish though is on another level.

The fourth goal was interesting - at 3-1 we looked like we'd slow things down and go easy on them, with Rashford dallying on the ball on the left wing, they won the ball back and break on us, McTominay rushes back and snuffs out danger with an interception and a strong challenge on (I think) Wilson who is legitimately smashed. Ball given to Bruno and Rashford on his bike. Punished.

Anyhow, that Bruno finish is IMV the best goal I've seen from us in ages.

Grande

Wonderful all the way from Maguire. Van de Beek driven, Bruno elegantly effective, Van de Beek swift and alert, Mata aware and precise, Rashford taking responsibility for the approach, the dynamic, the timing and the set up, and Bruno finishing a smart and intense run with cheeky and audacious finish.
We disn’t score that many goals like that a season under Fergie, but we did so fairly regularily. I can count them on one hand under our previous three managers put together.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Honestly that's probably the most cohesive team goal I've seen in a long, long time from us.
Everyone on the same wavelength and all knowing their roles.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
let’s be honest - it was fecking beautiful

el3mel

Fantastic goal from start to finish. Was a joy to watch really. That's how a counter should be done.

Honestly a proper Manchester United goal.

AshRK

This was a beauty, liked it more than the brighton goal we scored last season.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
A great example of when everyone is on the same wave length, one of our best team goals in recent years. The third goal is another example of that but this was more of a penetrative build up.

Bruno commented this was a drill and pattern they had been practicing in training.

Great coaching from Ole and his team. Especially the dummy run inside before he moves into the overlap.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Honestly that's probably the most cohesive team goal I've seen in a long, long time from us.
Everyone on the same wavelength and all knowing their roles.
We scored a number of cohesive team goals since lockdown alone. We’re just not that shit in reality, and the goal against Newcastle wasn’t that shocking.

We scored a better version of the same goal away at Brighton at the back end of last season, and then went and scored another great counter attacking goal against Villa around the same time. Other than that there were goals from great interplay against Palace away, Bournemouth at home and others with smaller patterns of play to break teams down.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Isnt this a counter attack?

FCAES_7

It was a joy to watch, not sure if someone mentioned it but it reminds me a lot of Delpiero's goal vs Germany in 2006 semifinals..we are not as bad as people suggest it's just a lot of negativity around everything the club does.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Fantastic goal from start to finish. Was a joy to watch really. That's how a counter should be done.

Honestly a proper Manchester United goal.
We’ve scored quite a few of these types of goals since Ole took charge.

It’s a key capability that he added to the squad as we had lost this ability during LVG and Mourinho years.

PitTon

Unfortunately, it never happened when James is involved
Sadly that was exactly what I thought after the goal. 100% sure he was to pass back to Shaw ( and he is a winger!!!), not that 1-2 with Bruno.

Having players doing the right things with attacking purpose show huge difference in terms of chance creating.

About that third goal, congrats to AWB. But if you look at it closely, he is clearly not used to "attacking". There was a hesitation and slow down from him after he passed to Rashford. He supposed to keep running and receiving the ball back to perform a 1-2 with Rashford, not to mention he got all the space in front of him.

SinNombre

We are very well drilled and coached on counter attacks.

We are not very well coached on how to penetrate a low block.

Both of these can and are true.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
We are very well drilled and coached on counter attacks.
We are not very well coached on how to penetrate a low block.
Both of these can and are true.
Didn’t the team demonstrate that many times since Bruno arrived and especially in the undefeated post lockdown phase?

We can’t have only lost 4 games in last 34 for that to be true?

I’m really enjoying the very intricate interplay in and around opposition box which has led to many goals.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Our third goal build up play was good too, Van de beek played good role to keep the move going.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion

Absolutely great goal and one to savour! But I think Fernandes' goal against Brighton last season was equally as good with Matic's sweeping pass to Greenwood and Greenwood's peach of an assist. You lot can play some beautiful football when you want to!

Jules_T

4 things stick out to meet me. The 1-2 between VdB and Bruno shows 2 people on the same wavelength.
Then the sumptuous pass by VdB forward. It shows amazing vision and technique and only Pogba (on form) can match that combination.
The last thing I noticed, and this is more subtle was Bruno's running. He looks like he is going to run inside for the first 10 metres of his run. That gives 2 defenders the impression that they have him covered. He then accelerates further and goes outside Rashford creating his own space. And then of course the world class finish.
Beautiful football all round.

MiracleInMadrid

Still can't believe the run Bruno does. At that point in the game he had looked knackered for some time, which affected his actions a lot by the looks of it. And then he does this run. From one end to the other. And it's not like he just jogs up field. He actively seeks the ball to create a chance or to distract the opponents.

He most certainly has the mentality to play here. What a winner.

norm87cro

Many "we can't break buses" comments I see and while I agree with that some fans should just embrace when we have something positive to talk about. The goal had a very good build up and it really reminded me of some Rooney Ronaldo counters over the years.

Last edited:

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
This was just an innovative counter-attack. We are good at those. What we are poor at is making similar innovative passes and movements to break down parked buses.
Many teams struggle against parked buses, its a reason teams use them since the trade off is that you completely concede the initiative to the other team

I agree that we need to get better at breaking them down, but it got a lot better after we got Bruno. I said it in another thread, but vs teams that defend low we should try and fit Bruno, Mata and VdB in to the first XI as all of them are good at clever movement and interplay which is what you need when breaking down low blocks

Jules_T

Many teams struggle against parked buses, its a reason teams use them since the trade off is that you completely concede the initiative to the other team

I agree that we need to get better at breaking them down, but it got a lot better after we got Bruno. I said it in another thread, but vs teams that defend low we should try and fit Bruno, Mata and VdB in to the first XI as all of them are good at clever movement and interplay which is what you need when breaking down low blocks
I totally agree. Those three have the best chance of getting past the bus.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Most teams struggle to break down parked buses, it's not exclusively United, but it's true that BB (before Bruno) we did struggle to do that, but with players like Bruno, Mata and VDB we have the creativity we've been after for some time (appreciate that Mata has been here some years, but now he has players alongside him on the same wavelength). Rashford and Martial are always trying little bits of close interplay in and around the opponents penalty area, so we are starting to get little patterns between these players, the trick is to integrate these 'flair' players with the hard working more defensive players whose job it is to stop opponents playing, and win the ball back so the 'flair' players can do their thing.

cyril C

Sadly that was exactly what I thought after the goal. 100% sure he was to pass back to Shaw ( and he is a winger!!!), not that 1-2 with Bruno.

Having players doing the right things with attacking purpose show huge difference in terms of chance creating.

About that third goal, congrats to AWB. But if you look at it closely, he is clearly not used to "attacking". There was a hesitation and slow down from him after he passed to Rashford. He supposed to keep running and receiving the ball back to perform a 1-2 with Rashford, not to mention he got all the space in front of him.
No, James would have taken on 3 defenders and still try to shoot, regardless of % of chance.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
I think it just about eclipses Bruno's counter attack goal away at Brighton - mind you I'm a sucker for the ball going in off the post!

Cannot underestimate how good that first touch is from Bruno when taking the ball whilst sprinting. Especially after the 2nd half hadn't really been going his way

romufc

No patterns of play... Yet we keep scoring these kind of goals?

James Peril

Top bins is always top bins, but this goal says everything about Newcastle’s defending. Once Shelvey approaches VdB, everyone thinks the ball is under control. Not a single Newcastle-player makes a sprint during the whole sequence - it’s quite damning for Steve Bruce and we all know what video they are watching today during training. Look at the guy half-heartedly checking VdB close to the byline, watch his moves after the ball is carried ahead. He doesn’t even make it to the box until we have scored.

It’s the slowest counter-attack in history, on the whole pitch only one player makes a sprint (Rashford) - not a single Newcastle-player bothers to even try. We can only thank them for this free goal and three points, seems all of them were happy with a draw.

Gasolin

Watch the 3rd goal. 22 passes over 50s before AWB scores. 16 of those 22 passes were two touches or less. If that's not a build up play, nothing else is!!!

Gasolin

Bruno commented this was a drill and pattern they had been practicing in training.

Great coaching from Ole and his team. Especially the dummy run inside before he moves into the overlap.
It's appel contre appel in French, and I always wonder how to say that in English but that was fantastic indeed because it forced their defense to focus on the middle instead of looking for the wide positions.

Gasolin

Top bins is always top bins, but this goal says everything about Newcastle’s defending. Once Shelvey approaches VdB, everyone thinks the ball is under control. Not a single Newcastle-player makes a sprint during the whole sequence - it’s quite damning for Steve Bruce and we all know what video they are watching today during training. Look at the guy half-heartedly checking VdB close to the byline, watch his moves after the ball is carried ahead. He doesn’t even make it to the box until we have scored.

It’s the slowest counter-attack in history, on the whole pitch only one player makes a sprint (Rashford) - not a single Newcastle-player bothers to even try. We can only thank them for this free goal and three points, seems all of them were happy with a draw.
You keep calling it counter attack but I am not sure it's the definition of counter attack. We play direct, that's all.

redflash

Best part of this goal is Rashfords burst as the play is developing. Completely changes the dynamiv of the attack and demands he receives the ball.

We need to see more of this from our front three going forward.