Our set-piece defending

Stacks

I don't disagree that he is passive, soft and also imo a bit of a coward.

But I don't see how he could have done better for this goal. Put Maguire there and it would've been the same result. Lindelof is slow Moreno had a run on him its not like Lindelof didn't try to keep up couldve been a pen if Moreno dived from the shirt pull.
Stop the ball getting to the defender by looking at the ball or being in a better position

GeniusIdiot

Stop the ball getting to the defender by looking at the ball or being in a better position
He is slow there was no way he was going to get there in front of Moreno. Also positionally he was ok just again slow. We play the high line so bad with Shaw playing everyone on after letting Moreno go. No communication from Lindelof telling everyone when to drop/hold as the senior cb.

We have too many Lindelofs in the team where they are good enough IF this or IF that. Too many ifs. But in terms of this singular goal I dont see how he gets there as hes slow like many other slow cbs better than him.

ti vu

New season. Same old problem. During the Wolves game, we may give benefit of doubt for our set piece defending due to Varane being new to the league. After a few more games, I feel like this is fair to say it's still an on going issue despite personnel change. Not just the goal, Aston Villa looks very threatening in almost every time we had to defend set piece.

I didn't believe this is worth a new thread. It's a continuous issue, and previous discussion should be continued.

Last edited:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
First we’ve conceded this season, no? We have actually been better at defending them to be fair. Was a good ball & a good header. Fair play. Helped them that Watkins impeded our keeper, but of course VAR didn’t fancy looking at that.

ti vu

First we’ve conceded this season, no? We have actually been better at defending them to be fair. Was a good ball & a good header. Fair play. Helped them that Watkins impeded our keeper, but of course VAR didn’t fancy looking at that.
The first conceded, but look at the bigger picture, even before this goal, we don't look more convincing defending set piece than before. In this game alone, Aston Villa had another chance toward the end of first half.

We had plenty of extra bodies in the box beside the markers, but for some reasons, these extra bodies have many times become nothing in the sequence of play, when the marker got beaten. And marking assignment seems a bit off too. This is not the time we have our shorter players assigned to mark opponent's big guys. Athleticism is one thing, size does matter. Why don't we use the athletic guys for zone defending instead?

flappyjay

Never mind defending them how many times under Ole have we conceded from our own attacking set piece. I can think of 4 but it could easily be 5 or 6.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Oh, and another. This new guy really earning his wage

Last edited:

ti vu

When I bumped this thread after the Villa game, I think people can argue it's only the first set piece goal we conceded this season (despite evidently we looked shaky already). Now it's undeniable that there is no improvement in this aspect, which is heavily related to coaching (issue).

SER19

We've plenty to complain about these days but this ongoing issue is simply unacceptable. We are absolutely appalling and look vulnerable every time. You wouldn't find it in amateur football and solskjaer should be getting grilled about this by journalists. It's pathetic

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Let Saka completely on his own at the back post from a corner in the first half. Had about 10 minutes to do what he wanted with it just outside our 6 yard box. Luckily he fecked it up.

So they do the exact same fecking thing again in the 96th minute to throw the game. Just how? Absolute fecking Everton level defending.