Ousmane Dembele - Barcelona Player

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It's not his fault Barca conceded 4 goals tonight, c'mon guys use your brains.
Exactly. He missed some ridiculous chances but this Barcelona team should not be conceding 4 goals. They should not have coutinho floating around doing nothing, Suárez failing to press, a lack of concentration etc etc.

One of the best teams in the world on paper should not need a 4 goal lead to get through a tie. It's ridiculous.

Stadjer

Messi can hate himself. He had a great chance in the first half at 1-0 but tried to walk it in.
That chance in the last second that Messi gave to Dembele last week could literally be walked in.

Sure Messi wasnt at his best tonight but if his teammates scored the chances he gifted them Barcelona would be in the final.

Canagel

Is people actually blaming dembele :lol: nothing to do with Valverde tactics or bottling job to concede 4 goals..

Canagel

Ah, the scapegoaters are coming out. Forgetting Dembele has won this team trophies and points this season, but yeah let's go ahead and blame him for missing a couple of chances in the first leg and not say anything about Messi walking about the whole return leg or the other 10 players on the field. Feck off.
Embrassing lot. Barce had just conceded 4 goals.

Bojan11

Good player. But made a big move too early. He was fine at Dortmund for a few years.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
What did he do? Did he even play, I never caught him on the field tbh?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Is that when Alba was one on one with the keeper and passed back to a marked Messi? :lol:
That's the one. Messi wouldn't have been the first player to score a goal while marked

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
This thread :lol:

Bojan11

I didn't see a replay but it did look it at first glance
It was offside but the ref waved play on as Liverpool had the ball. The linesmen are told to call it late as possible with VAR.

Charles Miller

This thread :lol:
Its expected. It always happens. When Barcelona lose an important game many people will pick some player(s) to blame as a preemptive action to avoid criticism on Messi. And its not even that Messi was bad.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Its expected. It always happens. When Barcelona lose an important game many people will pick some player(s) to blame as a preemptive action to avoid criticism on Messi. And its not even that Messi was bad.
Messi was really good. It was only the last 10 minutes or so after the last goal where he totally lost interest and just walked around not bothered at the least:lol: Reminded me a bit of Pogba that action, but I guess Messi is Messi so its fine. He probably thought "come on, do I really have to do this myself again? I do it when I want to, not when you guys want me to. Pieces of shit under my shoe, feck off":lol: Messi is awesome

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
I wonder if Dembele could go to PSG to reunite with Tuchel either this season or the next.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
He looks terrible

ash_86

He would fit a fast free flowing team than a pocession based one.

MadMike

He would fit a team a couple of levels below Barca. He’s just not that good for now. Maybe he’ll get better in a lower pressure environment.

Halal Jalal

Agreed, but it's not just his technique that's too weak for Barca - he fails at absolute basics, like kicking the ball into empty net or completing an easy short pass. Reminds me of our own Fred honestly, no brain at all.

Haven't seen much of him playing for Dortmund, but I imagine he had to decline severely? This isn't a 100 million player, nowhere near.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
It’s a recurring theme that attacking players have been looking half as good for Barcelona as they did for their previous clubs or country. Valverde is to blame, wouldn’t surprise me if the same happens to Griezmann.

They do absolutely nothing as a team to get the best out of Dembele, he’s asked to adapt to the team and their way of playing instead of the other way around and it’s beyond obvious he’s not suited at all to play in a team that plays like Valverde’s Barcelona does. He’s a player for transitions that takes risks, Barcelona are a team that avoids transitions and risks. No crossing, wing play, counters and safe passing to the extreme. He’ll never be at his best in a team with that way of playing

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Not sure if Barca might be willing to let him go for a heavy discount.
That could be very interesting for clubs like PSG, Bayern or Juve. The possibility, that he can rediscover the form, that he showed for Dortmund (and in France?) might be enough to justify a big transfer fee. Obviously its risky business. I'd certainly take him over Coutinho.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I wonder if Dembele could go to PSG to reunite with Tuchel either this season or the next.
That's really awful but in his defence, Barca has absolutely zero attacking patterns. It seems Valverde doesn't give them any instructions in the final third at all.

However, I always said that Demebele is a bad fit for Barca. There are few players I can think of who are less suited to a possession oriented style than Dembele.

I wonder why he fancied Barca that much in the first club. It's like Xavi saying that Mourinho's Inter was his dream team.

IrishRedDevil

Air head.

Hated the guy since he fluffed his lines vs Liverpool at home. He had two good chances to make it 4-0 and 5-0.

ash_86

He would fit a team a couple of levels below Barca. He’s just not that good for now. Maybe he’ll get better in a lower pressure environment.
Yes. Their best bet is to swap dembele +money for Neymar. At Paris he could sync up with Touchel

ash_86

Agreed, but it's not just his technique that's too weak for Barca - he fails at absolute basics, like kicking the ball into empty net or completing an easy short pass. Reminds me of our own Fred honestly, no brain at all.

Haven't seen much of him playing for Dortmund, but I imagine he had to decline severely? This isn't a 100 million player, nowhere near.
Looks like a confidence issue to me. He's good technically. Maybe a coach who he worked with before would help him to get back that confidence is the best bet.

Tony Clifton

Dembeles game is suited to counter attack football so its no surprise he has been a huge flop.
Just a nice way of saying that he’s reliant on his non-technical attributes
Dembele has disappointed in counter-attacking contexts too:

I still blame him for Liverpool advancing to the Champions League final last season. Not Valverde's tactics, not Barca's bottling—Dembele's pathetic finish to that counter-attack is why the scouse pricks advanced. It should've been over right then and there.

Had he scored that sitter gifted to him by Messi, Liverpool wouldn't have done jack shit in the return leg. A potential goal advantage of four compared to the actual three heading back to Wankfield would've been the definite difference.

He has missed similar chances before. Perhaps yet another talent that won't be realised, although not because of technical shortcomings, but rather by mentality issues.

Air head.

Hated the guy since he fluffed his lines vs Liverpool at home. He had two good chances to make it 4-0 and 5-0.
What I'm trying to communicate here, really.

He'll forever be a dickhead in my books…unless he joins us and rips it up for many seasons and somehow makes amends.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Absolutely shattered confidence by the look of him.
I just wonder what could make his confidence low, he just came back from an alright preseason. He should be doing much better than that, I'd go with the poster who said he seems to be lacking basic football skills. He is fast and can dribble past opponents but beyond that, he's very average.

This x10000. I couldn't agree more. His deficiencies have nothing to do with team style of play for me. Counter attack football isn't suddenly gonna make him kick the ball better

Grande

Dembele has disappointed in counter-attacking contexts too:

I still blame him for Liverpool advancing to the Champions League final last season. Not Valverde's tactics, not Barca's bottling—Dembele's pathetic finish to that counter-attack is why the scouse pricks advanced. It should've been over right then and there.

Had he scored that sitter gifted to him by Messi, Liverpool wouldn't have done jack shit in the return leg. A potential goal advantage of four compared to the actual three heading back to Wankfield would've been the definite difference.

He has missed similar chances before. Perhaps yet another talent that won't be realised, although not because of technical shortcomings, but rather by mentality issues.

What I'm trying to communicate here, really.

He'll forever be a dickhead in my books…unless he joins us and rips it up for many seasons and somehow makes amends.
So after all this time, you’ve come to the conclusion that taking a 3-0 lead to Wankfield is a dead in the water project, so Barca’s bottling there and Valverde’s tactics had nothing to do with it?

Surprising conclusion, and I disagree.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
The ingredients are there for him to be a great player. The coaching is a problem both individually and in a tactical context as Ernesto Valverde and Barcelona are not a club any player looking to develop should go to at this moment in time. Based on the reports about him, his professionalism is a major problem. His application in training, his diet, his sleeping habits etc are all hindering his progress and contributing to his injury proneness.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Barca splashed more than 200m on him and Coutinho and their ROI has been total shit. :lol: These 2 should be producing goals/assists left and right but they've been shit.