Ousmane Dembele - Barcelona Player

RikRuud

I have no idea what we base our recruitment on or what Dembele is like, but watching him at Dortmund vs Sancho reminds me of the Grealish (Dembele) vs Maddison (Sancho) debate. The latter two are sort of robotic creators of chances and the former two are a bit flashier but they'd all walk into our team that's for damn sure.
Yep the’d certainly resolve the issue with our right hand side.

RikRuud

The "attitude" problem is that he is childish, everyone will tell you that he is lovely and polite but he needs parenting, one of the issues when he moved to Barcelona was that he was alone with his best friend and his uncle who has the same age when he used to live with his mom.
Yes I can see how that would impact his maturity. Sounds like he just needs to grow up and knuckle down.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It’s only his mental issues that needs sorting out. Talent wise, he is probably on par with Mbappe. That’s how high I rate him.
Not even close to Mbappe. It's typically impossible to divorce mental issues from hampering physical attributes, Dembele is a prime example of that. From laziness to an immature diet, he is replete with mental issues that will alwayas limit his potential. Take the mental issues away, he is still no Mbappe who is clearly a generational talent. Dembele is clearly not one.

Bole Top

We should be monitoring him longterm, a two-footed winger with his combination of agility and creativity would be a massive signing for us to get Rashford and Greenwood finishing opportunities. Could really be a Sneijder/Robben type who flops for Barca/Madrid and can be gotten for good value and then become a worldbeater.
Sneijder and Robben were basically forced out of club and 15 mill. for Sneijder was almost nothing even in those days. I doubt Barca are willing to take a massive loss here so I believe they'd be asking around 70 or 80 mill and honestly, I wouldn't touch him for that money. he's been fairly irrelevant since 2016-2017 season and that season in Dortmund is literally the only reason he's still being rated these days. at the moment, he's closer to Gotze than to a player you'd bet on giving you another 8 or 9 great seasons like Robben. 45-50 mill. or 2 year loan, everything else would be crazy with his injury record.

NoPace

Sneijder and Robben were basically forced out of club and 15 mill. for Sneijder was almost nothing even in those days. I doubt Barca are willing to take a massive loss here so I believe they'd be asking around 70 or 80 mill and honestly, I wouldn't touch him for that money. he's been fairly irrelevant since 2016-2017 season and that season in Dortmund is literally the only reason he's still being rated these days. at the moment, he's closer to Gotze than to a player you'd bet on giving you another 8 or 9 great seasons like Robben. 45-50 mill. or 2 year loan, everything else would be crazy with his injury record.
I could see a very expensive one year loan with a 70-80M type option to buy, and if he's healthy and we can't get Sancho and don't want Ziyech it's tough to see a better option for RW next year. I don't trust us to correctly identify a cheaper option who would be a success here, and the logical Prem options of Brooks (injured himself) or Traore would probably cost pretty close to that number.

Oh god we're going to sign Ryan Fraser on a free even though he's better on the left and we have nobody to finish crosses which is the whole point of having him. I guess I'll talk myself into it with enough substances and hope that the money saved on a winger is used on genuine quality elsewhere.

Apokalips

Not even close to Mbappe. It's typically impossible to divorce mental issues from hampering physical attributes, Dembele is a prime example of that. From laziness to an immature diet, he is replete with mental issues that will alwayas limit his potential. Take the mental issues away, he is still no Mbappe who is clearly a generational talent. Dembele is clearly not one.
Really don't get why this place seems so hell bent on Dembele being Mbappe level.

Look at the shit thrown at both Rashford and Martial whenever they underperform or wear a gold chain or something, but this guy seems to get ratings despite being spoken about poorly by people who work with him and repeatedly injuring himself a while being less productive than our lads, let alone Mbappe.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Please sign him Manchester United

Please, I beg you.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Please sign him Manchester United

Please, I beg you.
We may just be that stupid...just leak a rumour that City want him and get an agent in Woody's ear about having the chance to whip his metaphorical penis out.

wr8_utd

:'(
Coutinho, Griezmann and Dembele for 350m+. Just terrible business from Barca.

Eddy_JukeZ

A Barcelona fan is begging us to sign him and some want him.

We better stay away from Dembele. He has injury woes, is unprofessional and just isn't that good for the risk factor involved.

Handré1990

Would he come here? My first thought was Robben from Real to Bayern. How often does that happen though? Factoring in our own injury woes I wouldn’t count on us getting him fit for purpose.

Eddy_JukeZ

Would he come here? My first thought was Robben from Real to Bayern. How often does that happen though? Factoring in our own injury woes I wouldn’t count on us getting him fit for purpose.
Robben was way better than Dembele at the time of his move.

Robben was actually good for Real before he got tossed out. Dembele never showed that for Barcelona.

wr8_utd

Even though he's inconsistent, I'd definitely take him if he could stay fit but he's just not worth the risk with the amount of injuries he picks up. If his hamstrings and muscles are already such a mess, he's going to be utterly useless some years down the line.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I wasn't his biggest fan before his move to Barca - but he's clearly unsettled & clearly doesn't play the same way the rest of the way that team plays.

If he did move I'm sure he goes up a level to what we are seeing now - it's just how much Barcelona try to get some money back from the original transfer.

The left footed right winger role is too important in football & it isn't exactly countless talent to exactly knock off Dembele - and I'm not his biggest fan either.

Suedesi

My first thought was Mario Balotelli from Inter to... well take your pick

Craig Ward

I saw glimpses and the odd game when he was at Dortmund and he looked to always be on the fringes of a game, then may burst through with his pace, which is excellent but never really had the end product. You could see the talent as he was young, dynamic and exciting. He looked good at Dortmund.

The money for the Barca move shocked me, i thought it was way too high for what was essentially, just raw potential.

I watch Barca now and then and i have to say, every time i've seen Dembele he looks average. Poor touch, poor control, poor decision making, inability to see a pass. He just looks like a very limited footballer. He doesnt use his pace, doesnt link up with teammates and you can really see his team mates frustrations with him. Given his injury record and apparent off field issue's, i'm struggling to see why he is still so sought after, especially by UTD fans?

As a UTD fan, i want quality additions here but this guy for this money would be one of the worst transfer negotiations we could possibly entertain. He'd blow practically all of whatever budget we have and he isn't worth it

mu4c_20le

When I watched him at Rennes when we were first linked he was a mercurial talent, ridiculously gifted and naturally two footed. Shame Barca fecking ruined him.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Abysmal.

Though, I’m still puzzled why Coutinho never worked out for them. He seemed a very good Iniesta-lite replacement. Guess Valverde was too conservative to deploy him centrally - though Busquets and Rakitic’s legs have gone, & Dembele was always injured - hence Coutinho always played out on the left.

Either that, or I overrated Coutinho. I’m not saying he was worth the price (definitely not). I just thought he was a good signing in terms of what they lost with Iniesta.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Coutinho failed because he's mentally weak

From January to November 2018 he was great for them. Then things started going south and he couldn't react.

That said, no, he was never a like for like replacement for Iniesta and the version of barcelona under valverde struggled to make it all work consistently in part due to personnel and in part due to valverde prioritizing results over integrating him

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
As long as it's not obscene money. I'd take the risk. Still think he's an incredible talent.

wr8_utd

Abysmal.

Though, I’m still puzzled why Coutinho never worked out for them. He seemed a very good Iniesta-lite replacement. Guess Valverde was too conservative to deploy him centrally - though Busquets and Rakitic’s legs have gone, & Dembele was always injured - hence Coutinho always played out on the left.

Either that, or I overrated Coutinho. I’m not saying he was worth the price (definitely not). I just thought he was a good signing in terms of what they lost with Iniesta.
He had games there too but he just never worked for Barca. His last half year was particularly awful. He's good at one thing and that's his shooting and he lost even that ability and he's not been much better at Bayern.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
I imagine he must be so frustrating to play with. Always looks incredibly selfish to me and hangs onto the ball for far too long.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Abysmal.

If I was an agent for a highly coveted young attacking player, I might advise my clients to steer clear of Barcelona until Messi retires. No knock on Messi, but fair or unfair, it seems Barcelona is where attacking talents die.

Don't stone me Messi and Barca fans .

Ish

Lights on for Luke
If I was an agent for a highly coveted young attacking player, I might advise my clients to steer clear of Barcelona until Messi retires. No knock on Messi, but fair or unfair, it seems Barcelona is where attacking talents die.

No stoning coming from me :lol:

Yeah, I think the issue has been much bigger than Messi - recruitment has been shambolic. Dembele was probably “unsuited” to their slower, more patient buildups, from the off. They spent a load on Griezmann when they were crying out for some pace on the left - they’ve been too slow and labored thus predictable.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

I think it has more to do with the players they signed. I always said Dembele and Barca were a terrible fit. The system they play gets out the worst of him and his strengthes can't unfold. And while Griezmann as a very technical player generally fits he's playing in a position where they didn't have any need at all, at least not for a grade A solution. Buying him to play him on the left is just silly.

Coutinho is the one I was dead sure would make it at Barca as an Iniesta replacement. Think it had to do with Valverde - who remained in charge FAR too long - and Coutinho himself since he didn't make it at Bayern, too, losing the competition against Thomas Müller and even Leon Goretzka - a player who's at least a tier below him in talent level.

I think they just need to start signing the right attacking players. There are so many talented left wingers out there, they just need to buy one of them. Madrid has Vinicius, Rodrygo and Hazard for that position, Barca only has 17 year old Ansu Fati.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Those who doubt Dembélé's talent haven't seen him play for Rennes, he was really something else. His performances were already going downhill at BVB but still got him a 100m+ move to Barca.

It would be a pity if he never found his top level again because he's one of the most impressive teenagers I've ever seen play.

Needham

Those who doubt Dembélé's talent haven't seen him play for Rennes, he was really something else. His performances were already going downhill at BVB but still got him a 100m+ move to Barca.

It would be a pity if he never found his top level again because he's one of the most impressive teenagers I've ever seen play.
"Did well for a while in the French League" is the Oxford Dictionary definition of Flash in a Pan. Will never forgive him for missing the chance to make it 4 nil against Liverpool in the CL semi. Don't wish him well.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

Disagree about his time at BvB, he was amazing there as well and just confirmed his talent, which is why he got his move. It's just a shame about his professionalism, his diet, his injuries. I think he's one of the most naturally talented player I've ever seen, but I just can't see him living up to it at this point. He still has time to prove otherwise, but I'm not holding my breath. I was looking forward to him and Mbappe dominating the world stage for France over the next decade.

Mettaur

Supports
Liverpool
A Barcelona fan is begging us to sign him and some want him.

We better stay away from Dembele. He has injury woes, is unprofessional and just isn't that good for the risk factor involved.
He is good but almost always injured. He has also been reported to have discipline issues. Huge gamble as Barcelona will be asking for 80 mil plus since they spent 100 mil on him.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
If Barcelona are willing to let him go, then that means they've given up on him changing his diet and professionalism, not his injuries. And as incompetent as Barcelona can be, I don't think he will be straightened out by someone else. Barcelona was his dream club since childhood, and the guy can't be bothered to stop eating junk food and late nights playing with his friend. All of these injuries, while unfortunate, have a lot to do with how he's handled himself.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
Abysmal.

For me that's where Barca screwed up, thinking the Liverpool's talisman was going to be Iniesta's replacement. By they time Countinho was at his peak at Liverpool, he was essentially playing Messi's role. Everything went through him, he's the first player his team mates look up to pass when in posession, and free to shoot-on-sight. Well, he's not going to take over from Messi ain't he?

Neymar was pretty much the same, coming in with same profile as Messi. and now it is Griezmann. Suarez is the wise head here, he took the CF role and he was shining for good part of 4-5 years.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
For me that's where Barca screwed up, thinking the Liverpool's talisman was going to be Iniesta's replacement. By they time Countinho was at his peak at Liverpool, he was essentially playing Messi's role. Everything went through him, he's the first player his team mates look up to pass when in posession, and free to shoot-on-sight. Well, he's not going to take over from Messi ain't he?

Neymar was pretty much the same, coming in with same profile as Messi. and now it is Griezmann. Suarez is the wise head here, he took the CF role and he was shining for good part of 4-5 years.
Even neymar, tbf, during his time there - fitted in like a glove with Messi and Suarez. He only left because he wanted to step out of messis shadow etc.

Andersons Dietician

Weird some of the opinions or things getting spouted as fact. No end product, selfish, only delivered in French Ligue.