Ousmane Dembele - Barcelona Player

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Pique said: 'We have to help him realise that football is a 24-hour thing. And that sometimes it's not just about doing [your job] but also appearing to.'

The club's failure to track him down after a training ground absence was almost comical. Eventually they located the player at home and he excused himself for having missed the session complaining of a stomach bug.

When asked why he had not called to inform the club he said his phone had no battery. A club doctor was sent to his home and according to Diario AS: 'The player had recovered significantly from his stomach problem' when the club official arrived.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Barcelona are going to take a huge hit on him and Coutinho. He will miss the Euros and Deschamps might drop him after that if he can't get his head right.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Barcelona are going to take a huge hit on him and Coutinho. He will miss the Euros and Deschamps might drop him after that if he can't get his head right.
They spent something like 400 million on Dembele, Coutinho and Griezmann ? That's just... mind boggling given the return. They do still have a lot of quality in their team but boy, are they shoddily run.

NYAS

Has 9 assists in his last 6 league games.

An example of what a good coach can do for players who were “finished”.

Gives me some hope with regards to ETH and some of the guys in our squad.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Is he the most two-footed player in history?
Its ridiculous how ambifootrous he is (I don't know the real word for ambidextrous with the feet). Its pretty much impossible to say he has a weaker foot.

TsuWave

I love to see him in form. Guy is a monster and pretty much showing the finger to everyone who wrote him off.

only 24 too

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Think Aubameyang signing has helped rejuvenate both. Both are very good friends & had a great relationship on & off the pitch at Dortmund. Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up the catalyst for him to stay.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Has 9 assists in his last 6 league games.

An example of what a good coach can do for players who were “finished”.

Gives me some hope with regards to ETH and some of the guys in our squad.
His issue is a bit different to our players, Dembele's issues have always been injuries so there was always a hope that his performances would get better once he overcame them (and why Barca still wanted to sign him to a new contract). Can't say the same for our players, who have largely been fit but not performing.

OverratedOpinion

I love to see him in form. Guy is a monster and pretty much showing the finger to everyone who wrote him off.

only 24 too
I don't think many doubted or doubt how good he is, he is just injured so often.

Hopefully he manages to put the injuries behind him, it has been done by players like Robben.

Varun1

His issue is a bit different to our players, Dembele's issues have always been injuries so there was always a hope that his performances would get better once he overcame them (and why Barca still wanted to sign him to a new contract). Can't say the same for our players, who have largely been fit but not performing.
And his attitude!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
And his attitude!
Not really, he was prolific when not injured and he was prolific before joining Barcelona with the same "attitude". Now an interesting insight from Dani Alves is that one of the things that Xavi has brought is more conditioning, he said that at Barcelona they have never trained that hard and that Xavi made them fitter. That's important in the case of Dembélé because it was rumoured that Aspetar thought that Barcelona's training weren't adapted to Dembélé, they would train at low intensity all week and then players like Dembélé would be playing at high intensity during weekends and eventually break.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Seems like
Not really, he was prolific when not injured and he was prolific before joining Barcelona with the same "attitude". Now an interesting insight from Dani Alves is that one of the things that Xavi has brought is more conditioning, he said that at Barcelona they have never trained that hard and that Xavi made them fitter. That's important in the case of Dembélé because it was rumoured that Aspetar thought that Barcelona's training weren't adapted to Dembélé, they would train at low intensity all week and then players like Dembélé would be playing at high intensity during weekends and eventually break.
That's actually a pretty good explanation for his injury problems in Spain.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Curious to see how Xavi fits him and Raphinha (presuming Dembele will be shifted to left wing).

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Curious to see how Xavi fits him and Raphinha (presuming Dembele will be shifted to left wing).

He won't have to fit him anywhere as he won't be available half the games

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
So they called his bluff and he took the reduced wages?
Rumor is he was looking to be Mbappe's replacement at PSG, but once Mbappe stayed, it took away his main option to keep ridiculous wages. His extension is quite short though, only until 2024.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Rumor is he was looking to be Mbappe's replacement at PSG, but once Mbappe stayed, it took away his main option to keep ridiculous wages. His extension is quite short though, only until 2024.
Which was a smart move for all parties.

Dembele has a good season, fully fit? = easy for him to go to PSG/anywhere else to clubs that don’t defer wages as he’s proven himself for a full season and is probably less of a risk

Dembele reverts back to his injury prone ways? = Barcelona only have 1 year left on his contract anyway and can try and let him go for a lesser figure

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Which was a smart move for all parties.

Dembele has a good season, fully fit? = easy for him to go to PSG/anywhere else to clubs that don’t defer wages as he’s proven himself for a full season and is probably less of a risk

Dembele reverts back to his injury prone ways? = Barcelona only have 1 year left on his contract anyway and can try and let him go for a lesser figure
Agreed, smart move by everybody, although I don't even think one season fully fit will ever really erase those fears about his durability, but he's so talented there will be some clubs willing to give him a shot. One thing is for sure, he would not be at the club anymore if it wasn't for Xavi, who's been his biggest supporter, so hopefully he rewards that show of faith with his continued high level performances.

Bobski

I would love to see Dembele have an injury free couple of years, as he is wonderful watch when it is all clicking, such a talent.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He's hopefully going to keep rewarding Xavi with these performances, he wouldn't still be at Barcelona if it weren't for him, and his door to PSG got shut as soon as Mbappe renewed. There's some genuine competition for those wing spots now, but if he stays fit he's a difference maker. This has been an incredible pre-season from him, I hope he keeps it up.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
I would love to see Dembele have an injury free couple of years, as he is wonderful watch when it is all clicking, such a talent.
I still believe he has greater potential than Mbappe. If Dembele can focus and stay injury free, he is a Ballon D'or winner. With Xavi's Positional Play, he is in the best position to now dominate. Hopefully he can keep it up. Minus the aerial ability, he is almost like the reincarnation of Pele.

#00F

Supports
Barca
I still believe he has greater potential than Mbappe. If Dembele can focus and stay injury free, he is a Ballon D'or winner. With Xavi's Positional Play, he is in the best position to now dominate. Hopefully he can keep it up. Minus the aerial ability, he is almost like the reincarnation of Pele.
I doubt his agent also has this level of confidence in him.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I mean he's not, but what you're saying is not totally crazy in the sense that Pele was also very two footed so there is some similarity in the way they both dribble and feint. You're not quite sure which way they are going to turn or which leg they are going to shoot with. But overall, OD's got a looooong way to go before such comparisons are even slightly legitimate.

TsuWave

Still find it crazy a substantial amount of people on this forum turned their nose at trying got him when his deal was running out. Even crazier when you think our options are Rashford or Elanga.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Still find it crazy a substantial amount of people on this forum turned their nose at trying got him when his deal was running out. Even crazier when you think our options are Rashford or Elanga.
To be fair, he is constantly injured, was looking for huge wages and is a racist bellend. not a surprise a lot of people were not too keen.

People wouldn't have wanted Terry or Suarez to sign for them either.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
To be fair, he is constantly injured, was looking for huge wages and is a racist bellend. not a surprise a lot of people were not too keen.

People wouldn't have wanted Terry or Suarez to sign for them either.
Can you keep the conversation about Terry to his own thread?

OK_computer

Supports
Real Madrid
They guy who has 31 goals to his name in five seasons has a greater potential than Mbape and is almost like the reincarnation of Pele? Wtf, you are probably trolling otherwise this has to be the most bizarre thing I have ever read on football forums.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
They guy who has 31 goals to his name in five seasons has a greater potential than Mbape and is almost like the reincarnation of Pele? Wtf, you are probably trolling otherwise this has to be the most bizarre thing I have ever read on football forums.
With regards to the Pele comment, I meant stylistically. In terms of potential compared to Mbappe, yes, I believe he has more potential but his application and professionalism to the game is nowhere that of Mbappe's. The talent gap between them is not big enough to overcome that. Mbappe's dedication to football is up there with Ronaldo, Lewandowski and Moh Salah with regards to how he takes care of himself off the field.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
He is 25 already. As a winger he doesn't have much time left before he lost his explosiveness. He needs to deliver on the pitch quick. His talent is unquestionable.