Ousmane Dembele

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redcy

The only question mark is whether he can remain fit. When it comes to performances, I think this guy could easily eclipse Martial and Rashford on his given day. I think we've got a really good vibe within the dressing room going with the success we've had as well as Bruno coming in. Our players are actually enjoying their football and I think Dembele is the same sort who needs a little bit of backing and improving his decision making which Ole and his staff could do off the field while Bruno could do on the field. Yes, Sancho would be great to have but trust me if we got Dembele, we wouldn't be settling for someone less.

this is the problem though, his injury and fitness record is atrocious. If the player was fit and uninjured for 3 years we would not even be looking to get a sniff of him. Barca would realsitically only want shut of him if they think he is incapable of returning to that kind of form. Any deal with options to buy or obligations sound like they want rid of him if thats what it came to.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He's not a bad kid, but he's had immaturity issues which I feel he's put behind him now, the rest is just an unfortunate sequence of injuries which was not a common thing for him before.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That's true, did he kick up a fuss at Rennes when Dortmund were linked with him?
Yes, but Rennes didn't respect their agreement and tried to force his hands. Dembélé was ready for first team football when he was 17 years old but Rennes refused to play him until he signs his first professional contract which created tensions, they convinced him to sign the contract by adding a gentleman agreement, which isn't legal, that would see them accept any offers of 5m€. When Dortmund came Rennes rejected the 5m offer and asked for more money from Dortmund which upseted both Dortmund and Dembélé.

pascell

Yes, but Rennes didn't respect their agreement and tried to force his hands. Dembélé was ready for first team football when he was 17 years old but Rennes refused to play him until he signs his first professional contract which created tensions, they convinced him to sign the contract by adding a gentleman agreement, which isn't legal, that would see them accept any offers of 5m€. When Dortmund came Rennes rejected the 5m offer and asked for more money from Dortmund which upseted both Dortmund and Dembélé.
Thanks for the insight.

JPRouve

Scout
He's not a bad kid, but he's had immaturity issues which I feel he's put behind him now, the rest is just an unfortunate sequence of injuries which was not a common thing for him before.
When I saw the documentary about Dembélé and how his mother would do everything for her kids and then see him move to Barcelona with his best friend and his uncle who is one or two years older, I wondered who was going to slap sense into that trio. They seem to be nice kids but there wasn't an ounce of maturity shared between them.

That's why I'm generally against big transfers abroad for young players, people seem to forget that despite all the money and fame we are talking about young people that have little life experience, some have never lived alone, they went from their parents homes to academies where you are tightly monitored. The fact that he treated some of his houses as a teenager room or that he wasn't on top of dealing with adults responsibilities at 19-20 years old isn't surprising and he isn't the only one, that's why some agencies provide concierge, housekeepers, accountants, cooks, fitness coaches and financial planners for their clients because most of them desperately need it.

Edit: And United have that type of employees.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If we can’t get Sancho for reason, Dembouz on a loan is the only one I’d go for. I think he’s been a big victim of a very successful smear campaign by Spanish media in relation to his ‘behaviour’, and a brand new environment with the likes of Pogba and Martial around him could really help realise all that potential he has.

The only genuine (massive, tbf) issue in relation to him is his injury record, so it must be a loan with an option.

I just don’t find any other wing option appealing after Dembele. It really is Sancho or bust for me.

Womp

idiot
I think he could be just as good as Sancho, albeit a different profile of player. Ole has managed to get Martial's head down and a tune out of him, if he could do the same for Dembele, we'd have one of the most talented footballers of his age group. I really am on board with this.

-Supreme-

Considering he has 2 years left on his contract, it’s a no surprise Barcelona want a loan with an obligation to buy.

Do we know how much he earns a week?

Womp

idiot
How much would Barcelona be willing to sell him for? Never seen any price mentioned regarding that
I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a huge hit, especially as his contract is running down and they would clearly have no intention of renewing. It's crazy, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a deal struck around 50m-60, give or take a few million.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Any club would be happy to sell a player who has been injured so often but how could he be nothing but a liability when he won games on his own when Messi and co were toiling.

Spoken like someone who did not watch Dembélé much but when he is fully fit he starts and he is the only player so far that Messi vacates the right for. This player if he can be nursed back to fitness can be devastating but not for us though, rather he went back home to France maybe to Lyon or Marseille.
And you have spoken like a true French patriot wanting him to go back to ‘Lyon’ or ‘Marseille’ :lol:
A player of Dembele’s caliber is just not average enough for the French league. I wouldn’t even want him to go to PSG. He needs to go play in a top top team and become one of the next superstars. Which is why Barca signed him and we might even.

Now back to your post;
1) it doesn’t matter if he won games on his own without Messi as you say (which is not true, it’s a team game and Dembele ain’t no Messi either). The number of games he must’ve helped win shouldn’t be more then a handful considering he’s been injured most of his time at Barca. And all those games or moments don’t matter anymore. Going forward he’s nothing but a liability unless he can avoid injuries for at least half a season and truly help Barca. Specially if he’s needed badly when others are injured and he’s not. Which doesn’t seem very likely at the moment. Since 2 years Barca has just been paying his wages, paying for his surgeries while watching his value depreciate immensely all the way down from 150m. Hence, he’s nothing but a liability that just keeps costing them more and more.

2) Yes I probably haven’t watched Dembele as much as you have but that doesn’t mean I’m not knowledgeable enough to comment on the current situation. And Messi doesn’t vacate the right for him. Do you hear yourself:lol:. Messi probably needs rest or is injured which is why Dembele gets to play RW.

I don’t understand why posters like you have to reply back in a tone where you assume you know it all while totally overlooking other posters views on a situation. It would do you good to consider situations from different aspects so as to broaden your perspectives.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
And you have spoken like a true French patriot wanting him to go back to ‘Lyon’ or ‘Marseille’ :lol:
A player of Dembele’s caliber is just not average enough for the French league. I wouldn’t even want him to go to PSG. He needs to go play in a top top team and become one of the next superstars. Which is why Barca signed him and we might even.

Now back to your post;
1) it doesn’t matter if he won games on his own without Messi as you say (which is not true, it’s a team game and Dembele ain’t no Messi either). The number of games he must’ve helped win shouldn’t be more then a handful considering he’s been injured most of his time at Barca. And all those games or moments don’t matter anymore. Going forward he’s nothing but a liability unless he can avoid injuries for at least half a season and truly help Barca. Specially if he’s needed badly when others are injured and he’s not. Which doesn’t seem very likely at the moment. Since 2 years Barca has just been paying his wages, paying for his surgeries while watching his value depreciate immensely all the way down from 150m. Hence, he’s nothing but a liability that just keeps costing them more and more.

2) Yes I probably haven’t watched Dembele as much as you have but that doesn’t mean I’m not knowledgeable enough to comment on the current situation. And Messi doesn’t vacate the right for him. Do you hear yourself:lol:. Messi probably needs rest or is injured which is why Dembele gets to play RW.

I don’t understand why posters like you have to reply back in a tone where you assume you know it all while totally overlooking other posters views on a situation. It would do you good to consider situations from different aspects so as to broaden your perspectives.
Dembele last season scored important goals, often times without any outside help, to win the game for Barcelona. He was the difference-maker when Messi and co. ran out of ideas, and he did it more than a handful of times that season. He's definitely not a system player, but it's also what's made him someone who can bail them out when the Barca system fails the team. He's a liability when he's injured, but he's a very productive player when he's fit and playing. When you say nothing but a liability, you're going over the top.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Dembele last season scored important goals, often times without any outside help, to win the game for Barcelona. He was the difference-maker when Messi and co. ran out of ideas, and he did it more than a handful of times that season. He's definitely not a system player, but it's also what's made him someone who can bail them out when the Barca system fails the team. He's a liability when he's injured, but he's a very productive player when he's fit and playing. When you say nothing but a liability, you're going over the top.
No I’m not. I get that he’s an amazing player which is why I want us to take a chance on him but from Barca’s perspective he’s more of a liability now then an option to fall back on when Messi & co are injured or out of ideas as you say. He was bought for 150m. Hasn’t really provided a return on that investment, in fact just cost more with all his injuries and no continuous impact on the field. Now he has only two years left on his contract. How do you see Barca getting any value out of him by keeping him for the last two years if his injury record doesn’t improve? Even if it does, the amount of money theyve lost thanks to him will outweigh what they have invested in him.
Had he done enough to help Barca retain the title, we could argue that he’s not that much of a liability to them but he was almost useless the whole season.
They need to cut their losses by letting him go on loan and maybe have him sold later or at least prove enough on loan to justify a new contract and then maybe he could prove his worth. But currently he’s nothing but a liability to them.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
No I’m not. I get that he’s an amazing player which is why I want us to take a chance on him but from Barca’s perspective he’s more of a liability now then an option to fall back on when Messi & co are injured or out of ideas as you say. He was bought for 150m. Hasn’t really provided a return on that investment, in fact just cost more with all his injuries and no continuous impact on the field. Now he has only two years left on his contract. How do you see Barca getting any value out of him by keeping him for the last two years if his injury record doesn’t improve? Even if it does, the amount of money theyve lost thanks to him will outweigh what they have invested in him.
Had he done enough to help Barca retain the title, we could argue that he’s not that much of a liability to them but he was almost useless the whole season.
They need to cut their losses by letting him go on loan and maybe have him sold later or at least prove enough on loan to justify a new contract and then maybe he could prove his worth. But currently he’s nothing but a liability to them.
He didn't cost 150m, but he probably cost around 105m with add-ons that I doubt he's fulfilled. He hasn't provided a return on whatever your concept of 105m should, no, but the stupidest decision would be then to let him go for dirt cheap, or even worse on a loan with option to buy, than actually just stick by him and figure out a way to get him back to his fitness prior to joining Barcelona. It's also unfair for you to say thanks to him, Barcelona are losing money, Dembele doesn't want to be injured, and it's Barcelona's decision to have spent that much because they were pretty much in a daze after PSG's knockout transfer, it's got very little to do with the player, I don't like when people lord over a player's transfer amount over them like they had anything to do with it, or even asked for it.

Letting him go on loan as you suggest is a bad move IMO that is not going to make them better or give them enough to make a difference from their financial predicament. If Barcelona let him go at cut price, I feel it's more to do with the fact that his latest injury is one he's never going to be the same from here on out, which would be a shame. Then again, Barcelona's board is mostly incompetent, so logic doesn't always apply to them.

croadyman

Now you have said that he will probably go on and score the winner against Bayern tomorrow night now

JPRouve

Scout
He didn't cost 150m, but he probably cost around 105m with add-ons that I doubt he's fulfilled. He hasn't provided a return on whatever your concept of 105m should, no, but the stupidest decision would be then to let him go for dirt cheap, or even worse on a loan with option to buy, than actually just stick by him and figure out a way to get him back to his fitness prior to joining Barcelona. It's also unfair for you to say thanks to him, Barcelona are losing money, Dembele doesn't want to be injured, and it's Barcelona's decision to have spent that much because they were pretty much in a daze after PSG's knockout transfer, it's got very little to do with the player, I don't like when people lord over a player's transfer amount over them like they had anything to do with it, or even asked for it.

Letting him go on loan as you suggest is a bad move IMO that is not going to make them better or give them enough to make a difference from their financial predicament. If Barcelona let him go at cut price, I feel it's more to do with the fact that his latest injury is one he's never going to be the same from here on out, which would be a shame. Then again, Barcelona's board is mostly incompetent, so logic doesn't always apply to them.
Can you imagine if they had done that with Jordi Alba, which happened to have the same type of constant muscular injuries when he joined Barcelona?

tjb

I'm not a fan of players being called immature for transfer purposes. The clubs orchestrating the deals are shameless. They want to keep their best players...which is fair. So they promise the player a sale if he signs a new contract with them that runs longer than their current contracts. If the player doesn't agree, he is bashed in the media with pundits spouting nonsense about keeping them in the reserves till they sign, which should also be considered a violation of their contracts. After being forced or persuaded to sign with a promise of sale, the clubs then reneg on their promises on the basis of failure to meet the clubs idea of an ideal valuation. Fining the player if he refuses to play and painting a picture of insolence. Football is a career for a player too, not just the club. If a player feels he can achieve more with another club, his right to those feelings should be respected.This is why players now employ shady agents like Raiola. Why? Because clubs themselves are shady. Look how well Chelsea handled the sale of Hazard or us for Ronaldo.

Clubs also get away with treating players like crap if they don't want them. Ozil for example has been productive in his time for Arsenal. He's not the worst player ever. He signed a deal with Arsenal, which should have guaranteed him at least a spot in the team, especially considering the lack of quality in the side. The game moved on, and attacking midfielder that lack versatility have been shafted for more modern adaptable 10's. Ozil is no longer wanted, so after peppering him with insults on wanting to leave and having some poor performances in big games, the human Ozil is now being pushed on the sale block because he's no longer valuable. Yet fans and the media expect loyalty. Same thing goes for Bale. Getting booed for no reason, being isolated and treated terribly by the club that once blocked moves away for him. If Bale had purposely refused to play because he wanted a move or missed training, he would have been fined and slandered by the fans and media. But now that the no longer want him and have disrespected, they want him to still be positive about the club, while they can be so negative and disrespectful towards him.Yet people want to talk about player power.

He'sRaldo

I'm not a fan of players being called immature for transfer purposes. The clubs orchestrating the deals are shameless. They want to keep their best players...which is fair. So they promise the player a sale if he signs a new contract with them that runs longer than their current contracts. If the player doesn't agree, he is bashed in the media with pundits spouting nonsense about keeping them in the reserves till they sign, which should also be considered a violation of their contracts. After being forced or persuaded to sign with a promise of sale, the clubs then reneg on their promises on the basis of failure to meet the clubs idea of an ideal valuation. Fining the player if he refuses to play and painting a picture of insolence. Football is a career for a player too, not just the club. If a player feels he can achieve more with another club, his right to those feelings should be respected.This is why players now employ shady agents like Raiola. Why? Because clubs themselves are shady. Look how well Chelsea handled the sale of Hazard or us for Ronaldo.

Clubs also get away with treating players like crap if they don't want them. Ozil for example has been productive in his time for Arsenal. He's not the worst player ever. He signed a deal with Arsenal, which should have guaranteed him at least a spot in the team, especially considering the lack of quality in the side. The game moved on, and attacking midfielder that lack versatility have been shafted for more modern adaptable 10's. Ozil is no longer wanted, so after peppering him with insults on wanting to leave and having some poor performances in big games, the human Ozil is now being pushed on the sale block because he's no longer valuable. Yet fans and the media expect loyalty. Same thing goes for Bale. Getting booed for no reason, being isolated and treated terribly by the club that once blocked moves away for him. If Bale had purposely refused to play because he wanted a move or missed training, he would have been fined and slandered by the fans and media. But now that the no longer want him and have disrespected, they want him to still be positive about the club, while they can be so negative and disrespectful towards him.Yet people want to talk about player power.
You're right.

I've always found it funny how fans (working class) side with clubs (huge corporations) over players (fellow working class) in such situations. It seems so backwards to me.

wr8_utd

:'(
Not arsed as much about his character and off the field issues as I am about his his constant injury problems. He can't survive a month without getting injured. Would be a great, low risk option on loan but not sure we can really rely on him at all.

RUCK4444

No chance in hell Ole chooses Dembele as a Sancho backup.

Pathetic attitude, late numerous times to training, forever crocked.

There’s a player in there but Ole won’t be afforded the time to unpick all the boll@x he brings with him.

Next season is a big season for Ole personally, potentially make or break in his time and United Manager. You don’t gamble on this kid in that situation imo. And I was a big fan when he was at Dortmund.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
We need someone. He can play either side. I don’t see us going for him either because I don’t think Ole is a risk taker when it comes to morale and professionalism and I don’t see the glazers risking that much cash especially in these times We were heavily linked while he was in France but Dortmund got there first. I’d take a chance on him but it’s not my job or money on the line. He could represent serious value for money if he turns himself around.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'd actually be quite up for this signing if Sancho can't be done. He'd fit our style well I think, as well as compliment the lads we do have. We'd need to buy an AM though, so the price would have to take that into account.

Icemav

I'd actually be quite up for this signing if Sancho can't be done. He'd fit our style well I think, as well as compliment the lads we do have. We'd need to buy an AM though, so the price would have to take that into account.
We should risk it. Crazy talented. RW. LW. a free spirit on the pitch and we dont have a super rigid system

Womp

idiot
No chance in hell Ole chooses Dembele as a Sancho backup.

Pathetic attitude, late numerous times to training, forever crocked.

There’s a player in there but Ole won’t be afforded the time to unpick all the boll@x he brings with him.

Next season is a big season for Ole personally, potentially make or break in his time and United Manager. You don’t gamble on this kid in that situation imo. And I was a big fan when he was at Dortmund.
He's no more unprofessional than Sancho, who has also come under criticism for being late to training etc. Also, his professionalism doesn't seem to be an issue anymore, with him taking steps to fix his approach as of late.

Only issue would be his injury concerns and how much of that is down to him, rather than Barca's training regimes which are in place to benefit the aging old guard, i'm not so sure.

Just a bit telling that you have a kid without a single professional injury, suddenly a consistent sick note since moving to one club

RUCK4444

He's no more unprofessional than Sancho, who has also come under criticism for being late to training etc. Also, his professionalism doesn't seem to be an issue anymore, with him taking steps to fix his approach as of late.

Only issue would be his injury concerns and how much of that is down to him, rather than Barca's training regimes which are in place to benefit the aging old guard, i'm not so sure.

Just a bit telling that you have a kid without a single professional injury, suddenly a consistent sick note since moving to one club
Yeah listen if I thought we were getting the Dortmund version of Dembele I would be over the moon.

Regards the bold bit, are you suggesting he’s feigning injury because he’s fallen out with his club?
If so I’d be very wary of a purchase.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The injury history is a valid concern, but it's interesting that he did not have a single injury in his professional career up until moving to Barcelona, so I'm really not sure how much of it is down to him. There was a report posted on here, that suggested, he would sprint far less in training given Barca's play style and insistence on passing movements etc. as imposed to how much he sprinted in the game. Given the majority of his injuries are muscular injuries, I think that's a telling sign he's just playing in a team who aren't accustomed to playing/training to his strengths.
About the training, his injury will be worse given that United attackers under Ole is about pace and means you will need to sprint even more. Unlike Barcelona & United, Dortmund might not be as competitive as us & Barcelona. In Barcelona & United, players will need to work their socks off in training to show that you should be playing ahead of other top players. Slagging off means you won't be able to start ahead of others like Rashford & Greenwood.

About the injury record in his career before Barcelona, you could also say the same thing on Owen, how he was never an injury prone in his early years until he started to hit one and permanently become one. Better stay away from this type of player. Injury prone is should be the first thing we need to avoid. No point having big squad with bunch of injury prone players, paying wages on players who struggling to stay fit.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Obviously Sancho is our first choice, but if Dortmund are genuinely not interested in doing a fair deal then we have to move onto a back up. We can't go into next season with no reinforcements.

If we sign him on a loan with an option to buy I think we can't go wrong personally.

Womp

idiot
About the training, his injury will be worse given that United attackers under Ole is about pace and means you will need to sprint even more. Unlike Barcelona & United, Dortmund might not be as competitive as us & Barcelona. In Barcelona & United, players will need to work their socks off in training to show that you should be playing ahead of other top players. Slagging off means you won't be able to start ahead of others like Rashford & Greenwood.

About the injury record in his career before Barcelona, you could also say the same thing on Owen, how he was never an injury prone in his early years until he started to hit one and permanently become one. Better stay away from this type of player. Injury prone is should be the first thing we need to avoid. No point having big squad with bunch of injury prone players, paying wages on players who struggling to stay fit.
I dont necessarily agree. If someone in training does very little high intensity sprints, but is far more intense during games, its going to impact the body far more.

Just look at our team's improved injury record since Ole came in and increased the intensity in training. You will struggle if you don't give your u the opportunity to become accustomed to the intensity.

Womp

idiot
Yeah listen if I thought we were getting the Dortmund version of Dembele I would be over the moon.

Regards the bold bit, are you suggesting he’s feigning injury because he’s fallen out with his club?
If so I’d be very wary of a purchase.
See my post above, I dont think he is faking injuries, he's just in a club, with a training regime that doesn't suit his explosive style at all imo

Godfather

His hamstring injuries are worrying. Could potentially buy another Hargreaves here who couldn't take a shit without pulling his hammies.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I dont necessarily agree. If someone in training does very little high intensity sprints, but is far more intense during games, its going to impact the body far more.

Just look at our team's improved injury record since Ole came in and increased the intensity in training. You will struggle if you don't give your u the opportunity to become accustomed to the intensity.
Our injury record hasn't been improved under Ole, I don't know where you see the injury record improvement. Please give example.

Redcy

The proposed deal appears to be loan with an obligation to buy at 90m euros. Which makes sense from a barca point of view, but I don't see anyone falling for it.

Lots of players start off with not having injuries and then become permanently injured that is way more common than a player suddenly become injury free after being out. He has missed 80 games in 3 years, and its not like he has only had big periods missing, he is on and off injured, so he comes in plays five games and is out again. Loaning him with an option to buy doesn't do anything for Barcelona financially, and if we go in with any other option it would be madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.