Ousmane Dembele

Status
Not open for further replies.

He'sRaldo

@He'sRaldo Talking about the need for a left footed RW
For 37 million we should definitely go for it, Maguire was over twice that amount. In fact that's less expensive than Bruno, AWB, and Maguire.

He would fill a few important holes in the squad: a left-footed attacker (we have only Greenwood), a right winger (we have none), someone who can play equally well on the left and right (he's so two-footed his playstyle doesn't change at all regardless of whichever wing he plays on) and a genuine game changer (we have at most 3 or 4).

I'd say anything below an exorbitant price and we go for it. Barcelona needs to sell apparently, so we should take advantage of that. I'd certainly prefer it over someone like Josh King for 20 mil. In fact I'd prefer him over most options, maybe besides Sane. Toss up between him and Sancho for me.

Last edited:

Pep's Suit

Ridiculously stupid boy. If he moves this summer I can only see loan+option and probably to PSG or Seria A.

Champagne Football

Last thing we need is another bad apple who only is interested in the money. Ole has worked hard to get rid of the bad apples and still has a few more to ditch.

Anyone who thinks we should go for Ousmane Dembele is completely asleep to what Ole is trying to achieve with the Man Utd dressing room.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Apart from the other issues, his confidence is so shot that he needs a slightly lower expectation environment to rehab himself. Might even do well at Dortmund if they move Sancho.

MalcolmTucker

He's immature, very injury prone and inconsistent with the ball but I'd still be excited if he came here.

Red_toad

For 37 million we should definitely go for it, Maguire was over twice that amount. In fact that's less expensive than Bruno, AWB, and Maguire.
Got his dream move to Barca and screwed it up. So now United should buy him as his attitude is suddenly going to change as he’s been forced to move to sunny Manchester?
I’d seri doubt Ole wants a troubled footballer to add to the squad, especially how he’s been saying he only wants players that are committed. Lad is very talented, but there’s lots of reason why Barca want him gone and it very debatable if he’s ever going to get anywhere near his potential.

Rocknrolla69er

I find it hilarious alot have bad attitude blinkers. Why doesnt a players personality become an important factor to people, Fergie and Gill where huge on profiling players personalitys before signing them it was a big part of their success that fell by the wayside when they both left

Reactions: golden_blunder

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
A guy Barca paid €120m for now available for a third of that? Hmm there's only one reason for that.

Would anyway buy a Ferrari if the owner was offering it to you for 5 grand?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Last thing we need is another bad apple who only is interested in the money. Ole has worked hard to get rid of the bad apples and still has a few more to ditch.

Anyone who thinks we should go for Ousmane Dembele is completely asleep to what Ole is trying to achieve with the Man Utd dressing room.
This, sorta. And that's without even going into the concerns about his injury record.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Don't think he's as talented as Mbappe. He has potential, but i haven't seen anything since his Dortmund days that suggests he is going to fulfill it.

I think we should avoid.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Don't think he's as talented as Mbappe. He has potential, but i haven't seen anything since his Dortmund days that suggests he is going to fulfill it.

I think we should avoid.
He was never as talented as Mbappe let alone Neymar or even Messi. His technique was always way too sloppy and inconsistent. Dembele could make a dribbling through four players with incredible ball control in one moment and completely screw up the easiest passes/touches one minute later. Was never going to work at Barca (and I'll always wonder why he wanted to go there so much/they wanted him that badly, it was a very very bad match from the very beginning) but in a more risk taking side that prefers to play the ball forward quickly, he could shine again with lots of space to attack in front of him.

I understand everyone who thinks United should avoid him. On the other hand, Dembele still is a very talented player with a high ceiling and he's still at the beginning of his career. With the right coaching and leadership, he may still end up a world class attacker. He definitely needs a restart of his career and a mentor that leads him on the right track.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Lots of comments about his ‘attitude’ in here. I know the Sport/Catalan magazines went PR smear crazy on it in the last year or two, but is this a widely held opinion on him in France too? @JPRouve @anyone else who is French.

For instance, I don’t remember hearing anything about his ‘attitude’ when he was at Rennes coming through or at Dortmund.

I know he’s a bit of a gaming and junk food lover, but I thought his problems were all injury prone related. (Off the pitch, that is. On the pitch I don’t think his decision making brain moves as quick as his feet).

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Lots of comments about his ‘attitude’ in here. I know the Sport/Catalan magazines went PR smear crazy on it in the last year or two, but is this a widely held opinion on him in France too? @JPRouve @anyone else who is French.

For instance, I don’t remember hearing anything about his ‘attitude’ when he was at Rennes coming through or at Dortmund.

I know he’s a bit of a gaming and junk food lover, but I thought his problems were all injury prone related. (Off the pitch, that is. On the pitch I don’t think his decision making brain moves as quick as his feet).
He doesn't have a bad attitude per se, everyone will tell you that he is one the nicest kid they met. The issue is that he is a kid, he is immature and need guidance which is something that Barcelona didn't/couldn't provide, if they are unhappy they have a point because they are not a nursery but at the same time they should have done their homework and understand that they bought someone that needed development in life and on the pitch.

United Pro

If he's available for £37m it's a bit of a no brainer, but I doubt Barca will sell that low given how much they paid for him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Ole has gone to great lengths to discuss characters of signings.
Love him as a player and would want us to take the punt but Barcelona will not sell for that amount.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
This guy is literally one of the dumbest footballers our there. He can be asked any question and then just stares with a dumb look on his face and after a pause gives a one word answer.

Also to the poster questioning his attitude before Barca, he went on strike at Rennes and disappeared for a while when Salzburg tried to buy him but Rennes refused. He pulled the same trick when trying to leave Bvb for Barca. Besides being dumb himself, he apparantly has no one around him giving him any decent advice or keeping him on the right path.

That said he is still one of the most talented footballers in the world. I just think with his lack of braincells it will be a huge achievement for any coach to help him reach his potential.

JPRouve

Scout
This guy is literally one of the dumbest footballers our there. He can be asked any question and then just stares with a dumb look on his face and after a pause gives a one word answer.

Also to the poster questioning his attitude before Barca, he went on strike at Rennes and disappeared for a while when Salzburg tried to buy him but Rennes refused. He pulled the same trick when trying to leave Bvb for Barca. Besides being dumb himself, he apparantly has no one around him giving him any decent advice or keeping him on the right path.

That said he is still one of the most talented footballers in the world. I just think with his lack of braincells it will be a huge achievement for any coach to help him reach his potential.
That's not what happened though. Rennes refused to have him in the professional group even though he was better than most of their players, at the time he didn't had a professional contract and Salzburg tried to give him his first contract and Rennes were perfectly happy to negotiate with Salzburg but Rennes signed Silvestre as their DOF during that period of time who after watching Dembélé with the reserve convinced the club to not sell him and offer him his first pro contract. Now because Rennes showed no confidence in him, Dembélé wanted to have a paved way out of the club and asked for a gentlemen agreement where the club would let him go for 5m, the club agreed and he signed his first contract, a month later he was starting for the professional team. Rennes realize that he isn't worth 5m but way more than that at this point the club tried to bully him into forfeiting the gentlemen agreement and change agents. They even tried to not respect the gentlemen agreement and negotiate a larger transfer fee.

Rennes tried to shaft a teenager.

Red_toad

His Barca team mates don't appear to like him, there must be a reason for that?
Deschamps has been quoted about how he struggles to adapt to the professional demands of the game, so not just Barca issues.
Went AWOL and when contacted stated he had gastro, club doctor attended his house, found lout of his mates asleep on the sofa's and couldn't find anything wrong with Dembele.
Is well known to enjoy junk food and playstation.

Does this sound like the kind of player Ole would be signing for in excess of 30 million? We could also bring back Ravel and they could be mates....

He'sRaldo

Got his dream move to Barca and screwed it up. So now United should buy him as his attitude is suddenly going to change as he’s been forced to move to sunny Manchester?
I’d seri doubt Ole wants a troubled footballer to add to the squad, especially how he’s been saying he only wants players that are committed. Lad is very talented, but there’s lots of reason why Barca want him gone and it very debatable if he’s ever going to get anywhere near his potential.
I think we have a group with a lot of good attitudes and that can be contagious, as anyone who wants to be a part of the group and fit in would have to try and emulate that as well as possible.

With the likes of Ole as manager, Maguire as captain, and characters such as Rashford, Fred, Scott, AWB, etc, I think we can afford to bring in a very talented young man like Dembele who could possibly grow into a more mature version of himself when surrounded by such guidance.

It's a risk I think we should take for 37 mil especially since as @JPRouve said, he's not a bad character per se, just immature and needing better direction than he got at Barca. The fact that he would fit our playstyle a lot better than Barca's would be an added bonus.

And truth be told, there seems to be a real lack of quality left footed attackers, so it's a great opportunity to pick up one who isn't just left footed, but very two footed, at a discount.

Last edited:

Mark Pawelek

Currently injured with hamstring since 4 Feb. Expected back in August. He also lost half of last year (182 days!) to the same injury. These last two are the 2 longest injury spells of his career. In total he's suffered:
11 : injuries
629 : days lost to injury
97 : matches missed due to injury.

We'd be crazy to get him on the basis of injuries alone. Only half the player but he'll take up a whole squad place. The problem getting players with careers wrecked by injury is they're frozen or regressing. One can't train when injured and muscles and skill atrophy.

He'sRaldo

I find it hilarious alot have bad attitude blinkers. Why doesnt a players personality become an important factor to people, Fergie and Gill where huge on profiling players personalitys before signing them it was a big part of their success that fell by the wayside when they both left
It's less being blinkered, and more acknowledging that there needs to be both context and balance when going after players. Someone like SAF didn't care as much about potential bad attitudes because he trusted his man management skills to bring out the best in them, and I wish Ole and our fans thought the same way.

I think the focus of attitude over all is a bit misguided, attitude isn't the top characteristic to go after and it's only due to the continual emphasis of that charactersitic by Ole that a lot of our fans currently feel that way IMO. Just imagine all the legends and very good players we could have missed out on in the past if we only went after the most squeaky clean players attitude wise, and ignored everything else, especially talent.

Last edited:

He'sRaldo

Currently injured with hamstring since 4 Feb. Expected back in August. He also lost half of last year (182 days!) to the same injury. These last two are the 2 longest injury spells of his career. In total he's suffered:

We'd be crazy to get him on the basis of injuries alone. Only half the player but he'll take up a whole squad place. The problem getting players with careers wrecked by injury is they're frozen or regressing. One can't train when injured and muscles and skill atrophy.
He does get injured quite a bit, reminds me of Robben in that regard.

Matt007a

He does get injured quite a bit, reminds me of Robben in that regard.
Robben was a world beater who was worth the injury troubles because when fit, he was unplayable. Dembele is none of those things unfortunately. I definitely think we should avoid this one at all costs.

He'sRaldo

Robben was a world beater who was worth the injury troubles because when fit he was unplayable. Dembele is none of those things unfortunately. I definitely think we should avoid this one at all costs.
Robben didn't succeed at Real Madrid, his world beater status was only widely acknowledged at Bayern, his final club. That said, there's no guarantee Dembele will reach that level, although he has the potential to come close.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
At that price, he'd be a good gamble. Would take a lot of trust, patience and man managing though.

SAFMUTD

The price would be a bar if we were talking about the Dembele from Dortmund or Rennes.

But anyone suggesting he would be a good option clearly hasnt seen or heard about him at Barca.

His main issue is he’s so injury prone that he’s barely available for the team, but even when he’s been fit he hasnt delivered.

He’s been reported as having a videogame addiction which makes him play all night and go into training all fecked up.

For all the reports Barca was his dream club and he couldn’t even get himself together to achieve that dream, I very much doubt him coming to Manchester would change anything at all.

The way he behave himself also with the Dortmund-Barca saga was really disrespectful, and he’s been quoted to have had problems at the french national team as well. It all points out he’s an rotten apple and will be joining the list of all those wasted talents.

Long story short, there’s a reason why Barca is willing to let go a player that cost them 125M for 30M just after three years.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Sometimes a player needs the right manager and environment.

I'm not saying we should sign him but I can think of examples under Fergie that attitude might have been questioned prior to signing but excelled under him. Of course, that's Fergie and this is Solskjaer. I'm just saying certain players need the right environment, team mates, manager etc.

tenpoless

The feck. Spent almost 2 years of his life being injured.

davidmichael

Absolutely the wrong player and character for us and you only need to look at what Ole said about the type of character he wants in the squad and rather have a whole in the squad instead.

I think Dembele will end up as a higher profile version of Ravel Morrison where he ends up nowhere near filling his potential as a youngster and drifts around Europe for different clubs, he needs to have a team built around his strengths and that isn’t young to happen at Barca or for us but likely at a Lyon or Milan level club.

JPRouve

Scout
Absolutely the wrong player and character for us and you only need to look at what Ole said about the type of character he wants in the squad and rather have a whole in the squad instead.

I think Dembele will end up as a higher profile version of Ravel Morrison where he ends up nowhere near filling his potential as a youngster and drifts around Europe for different clubs, he needs to have a team built around his strengths and that isn’t young to happen at Barca or for us but likely at a Lyon or Milan level club.
Ravel Morrison had issues with justice, Dembélé has never done anything that would put him anywhere close to a version of Ravel Morrison. The closest player would be Sancho.

Rocknrolla69er

It's less being blinkered, and more acknowledging that there needs to be both context and balance when going after players. Someone like SAF didn't care as much about potential bad attitudes because he trusted his man management skills to bring out the best in them, and I wish Ole and our fans thought the same way.

I think the focus of attitude over all is a bit misguided, attitude isn't the top characteristic to go after and it's only due to the continual emphasis of that charactersitic by Ole that a lot of our fans currently feel that way IMO. Just imagine all the legends and very good players we could have missed out on in the past if we only went after the most squeaky clean players attitude wise, and ignored everything else, especially talent.
Im pretty sure some players had attitudes that Fergie wouldnt of gone near with a barge pole, while there are often misunderstood players who let their passion to win boil over who he felt he could manage and, their are also players who are selfishly arrogant amongst other traits he probably decided he couldnt do anything with. No where have i said just sign the most squeeky clean attitudes, but as i say some players are bad eggs who cant function as apart of a team/squad purely because its all about them and they spread rot, some posters do not recognise or register the varietys in attitudes and that yes some can be worked with and some simply cant

Andersons Dietician

His main issue is he’s so injury prone that he’s barely available for the team, but even when he’s been fit he hasnt delivered.
Injuries yes he’s had a nightmare but the rest isn’t true. At one point in his brief injury free spell he was their best player and pulling them through games.

I somehow doubt they are selling for 37mil but if he was available at that price then he‘d be worth the gamble in my opinion But depends on what is happening with Sancho.

Feel he’d fit in quite well with what Ole looks to be trying to build in a playing style. More suited to that than he is Barca’s way of playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.