Ousmane Dembele

Status
Not open for further replies.

seegoblu

I wonder (and hope) that adding Dembele makes us more attractive to Camavinga next summer.

Abdullah7

I was gutted when we missed on the Robben deal after we took him and his father in a tour with Fergie at Old Trafford. He went to Chelsea instead as they poached every target we sat our sights upon like the infamous Mikel saga.

We could have had him later on his career but Instead we invested nothing close to what we got for Ronaldo and signed the one and only Obertan. Many United fans were not excited at all to even consider the prospect of signing him.

I'd be chuffed, honestly.

Get him on a loan with an option to be permanent and manage him like RvP's first year. I was worried about Persie's record with injuries and was surprised of his outcome delivering the 20th in style without major hindrance.

Super happy as this is about to happen to one of my Muslim brothers even his Arabian name Ousmane is after one of my absolute Idols. I love him already and hope Pogba who's also a devoted Muslim will lead him to the promised land with us.

Rake

This one is probably at an impasse.. They want to sell and we want loan + option to buy (probably).

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
This one is probably at an impasse.. They want to sell and we want loan + option to buy (probably).
The way this window is going we’ll be lucky if we don’t reach an impasse between the words Manchester and United.

Macern

Pee pee pants

Is he credible @Macern
Haven’t heard about him, but again I can’t imagine someone working for Nettavisen making up their own rumours so he probably has some kind of source connected to Solskjær similar to Filtvedt. You rarely see Norwegian journos posting transfer articles from their own sources. Whenever that has happened, there has been a lot of credibility (mostly transfers of Norwegian players).

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If this goes through we have a real talent on our hands. We just have to keep our fingers crossed that he's committed and stays fit.

Ok the other hand I really hope we don't give up on Sancho as he is still the perfect player for our RW.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Haven’t heard about him, but again I can’t imagine someone working for Nettavisen making up their own rumours so he probably has some kind of source connected to Solskjær similar to Filtvedt. You rarely see Norwegian journos posting transfer articles from their own sources. Whenever that has happened, there has been a lot of credibility (mostly transfers of Norwegian players).
Cheers..

ti vu

Koeman's desire to sign Memphis may help push this deal if we're competent with our hand

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
considering Dembele for a years loan (perhaps with option to buy) is fantastic on many fronts:

1. It will really test if BVB genuinely want to keep Sancho or if it makes them blink.

2. If BVB don’t blink, we get a motivated Dembele with a massive point to prove to Barcelona. He doesn’t have to be match fit all the time, just be around to give enough rotation options for our wings.

3. If he does well at United, we suddenly have options @ RW: our negotiating position on Sancho Becomes much stronger with BVB next summer. If that fails we seduce Dembele to stay for longer.

if we can’t get Sancho and land up with Dembele for a year, I think it’s a great solution.

Last edited:

Devil may care

Can't stay fit for 5 minutes, juvenile level of professionalism and doesn't want to come here........What could go wrong! :lol:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Can't stay fit for 5 minutes, juvenile level of professionalism and doesn't want to come here........What could go wrong! :lol:
Exactly. But hey he's got too legs and he's a new signing which is all that matters.

ghagua

Dembele on loan for a year would be great even if we manage to land Sancho. We need competition for places and a weapon on the bench to light the fire under our existing attackers. The main issue with Dembele as others have mentioned is his injury history and questionable attitude, but a year loan, with an option to buy, would be an ideal scenario.

SinNombre

Just to put the numbers to bed, there are 8 months left in this season (assuming it goes as intended).

His wages are 220k/week, which over 8 months, is 7.5m pounds.

United can afford to waste 7.5m if this doesn't pan out in the worst case.

In the best case, you get the player who was considered a generational talent like Mbappe just 3 years back, is still only 22.

KristianMackle

Doubt we'd get him but fantastic signing if we did. He's two footed like Greenwood but better dribbling skills, pace to burn and not a bad scorer.
Some are saying he doesnt want to come but every player you sign needs a bit of convincing. That's how they know they can fit in and they'll be a key part of the team. I think we sign him, Pogba renews as soon as possible.

croadyman

Me too. I think Ousmane is being written off too early. He's still 23 and with folks like Pogba and Martial around him, I think he could hit the heights of Dortmund again. Ole will need to utilize him carefully though. I think we've got a good group of players who support each other. Anyone but seeing Daniel James feature for us. Was dreadful again against Brighton today.
It's a massive gamble as a permanent transfer but if we could sort a loan, find a regime that keeps him fit and get the other Frenchies to keep him in line, he's a potential superstar. It's wildly optimistic to assume we'll get each of those aspects to work in our favour but it wouldn't be the first time we'd found an 'enfant terrible' and given them the platform to maximize their potential.

He's hugely gifted.
Yeah I have always said my two biggest concerns with this guy is can he stay fit for a sustained period of time and how keen is he to come here.

I wouldn't just write him off as others have done already but shouldn't go for him if we get the impression he is being pushed towards us.

Last edited:

croadyman

I’ve watched both Dembele and Sancho play many times.

If I am truly honest, Dembele at his best has been better than Sancho at his best from what I’ve seen. Dembele at Dortmund was fantastic. BUT it’s a high risk and wishful thinking to imagine we are going to get that same player. He was so explosive and electric but the number of muscular leg injuries he’s picked up will surely affect his explosive nature.
Yeah I think this is very much the case too but like you said our chances of seeing the Dortmund version of him looks a long shot due to his injury problems

SmallCaine

it's so funny people throwing the toys out of the pram saying if we sign him they are done or similar stuff. I do wonder if people watch other leagues ( and I mean watch them not google stats and scores) Before Sancho , Dembele was ripping it up at Dortmund hence why Barca bought him . He was the man . It hasn't worked for him at Barca with injury and Barca media scapegoating him ( btw for exactly the same things Sancho has been guilty of , if guilty is the right word . )

so Injury record yes this is a concern , but make no mistake this guy is a serious talent and maybe United would be the right fit . I want Sancho but this guy is also quality .
He could be messi and ronaldo combined in terms of talent but he wouldn't improve us much if he is injured 40 games a season.

Reactions: Fortitude

croadyman

He could be messi and ronaldo combined in terms of talent but he wouldn't improve us much if he is injured 40 games a season.
Yeah I just wish he hadn't been so unlucky with injuries because then most of our fanbase wouldn't have wrote him off already

reelworld

guys, if he's a diligent player who's not riddled by injuries, he's not going to be available for loan or cost 45m.
It's a high risk, high reward gamble. I'd say feck it. Let's roll the dice and get him on loan. Forget Sancho this summer

croadyman

guys, if he's a diligent player who's not riddled by injuries, he's not going to be available for loan or cost 45m.
It's a high risk, high reward gamble. I'd say feck it. Let's roll the dice and get him on loan. Forget Sancho this summer
Think many of our fanbase would have a complete meltdown if that happened, I am intrigued by this loan deal but at the same time terrified he gets an long term injury and we are back to square one.

drmuji

considering Dembele for a years loan (perhaps with option to buy) is fantastic on many fronts:

1. It will really test if BVB genuinely want to keep Sancho or if it makes them blink.

2. If BVB don’t blink, we get a motivated Dembele with a massive point to prove to Barcelona. He doesn’t have to be match fit all the time, just be around to give enough rotation options for our wings.

3. If he does well at United, we suddenly have options @ RW: our negotiating position on Sancho Becomes much stronger with BVB next summer. If that fails we seduce Dembele to stay for longer.

if we can’t get Sancho and land up with Dembele for a year, I think it’s a great solution.
How can a loan player be motivated enough to perform well for the team. Besides what's the point of building for the future if we are going to do such kind of deals.
I thought this was the reason why we were not interested in Gareth Bale in the first place or Ivan Parisic.
Ole has to decide!!!!! Whether he is ready to compromise on his philosophy or send a signal to everyone that we are not the Opportunist FC

SATA

I watch some of his videos after his name came up and he loves putting defenders on their arses. Very unique dribbling ability with both feet. His finishing ought to improve though but Ole can teach him that. I am intrigued if he comes here. Really reminds me of Ronaldo 2006/07 with some of those tricks and wingplay

jackal&hyde

His rejection of Liverpool might have less to do with his undying love for Barca and more to do with not wanting to play second fiddle to Salah and Mane. At United, if fit and ready, the RW is his.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
How can a loan player be motivated enough to perform well for the team. Besides what's the point of building for the future if we are going to do such kind of deals.
I thought this was the reason why we were not interested in Gareth Bale in the first place or Ivan Parisic.
Ole has to decide!!!!! Whether he is ready to compromise on his philosophy or send a signal to everyone that we are not the Opportunist FC
Bayern just won the Treble with two loanees, Coutinho and Perisic, playing big parts. Being on loan makes no difference to a player's motivation. All players want the same thing: to enjoy their football and win games

Ole has to decide? It's not football manager. Ole doesn't decide the whole direction of the club. Do you think we'd have signed just one player so far if he did? The club may have decided Sancho's too expensive and decided on Dembele as a stop gap. IMO, if you are Ole, you take that over nothing.

Loan with obligation to buy if Dembele plays 45 games. There's the deal.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Of all the talks of background checks, great attitude, desire to play for the club, this guy fits none of it.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Dembele as a single player solution: About the most risky option there is. Very likely to leave us in the lurch and put extra demand on others who then have to play in lieu of him, that, or our terrible bench options continue to feature to the chagrin of our manager.

Dembele and Sancho coming in: Ed is hailed a genius who has pulled off the greatest coup of the millenium.

Dembele playing 2 games and then being out for 10-15 at a time is not an unrealistic proposition. The element of risk, given our fallback options, is a gamble we can't soften like clubs who have world class starters already backed by solid, if unspectacular, stand-ins.

Giggs and Robben are very much the mould of electric wingers who had a multitude of injury problems in their younger years, the big difference between them and Dembele is, by comparison, theirs were niggles and tweaks, not massive periods of being out with different injuries across both legs. I'm sure someone can find out, but I'd wager you could combine both of the aforementioned players' injury records up to the age of 23 together and they'd still come out as a fitter player than Dembele, which should give some perspective on how bad this guy has had it and the risk we're taking if reliant on him.

You have to look at it in its entirety and consider what is more likely and then facilitate contingency around that, which is cover for Dembele should he invariably breakdown (that's right: cover for Dembele). Almost as if you have to imagine he's not there and anything you do get out of him is a bonus. If it's as you were + Dembele, it's the same as relying on the players from last season - who we already know aren't good enough and that Ole doesn't trust - in an even more congested and exhausting playing schedule.

Nobody can possibly be surprised if Dembele is out of contention by November if he comes in October; it's contingent with the injury record he has.

By no means would I want Dembele to come here and it all go belly up, but it would be naivety to the point of negligence to not prepare for its likelihood.

Status
Not open for further replies.