Out of their Skin - with Ian Wright - on ITV again tonight

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Ian Wright presents the two part documentary on the history of black players in Britain. Part 1 was on ITV4 tonight, and will presumably be on catch-up soon. Part 2 is on ITV4 at 10pm tomorrow.

Part one's focus was on the pioneers - the first black players to really break into the pro game in England. Players like Viv Anderson, Cyrille Regis through to John Barnes along with some stories I'd forgotten like Paul Canoville. A good mix of interviews, old TV clips (some of it startling for the sheer level of casual racism ) and snippets of match footage.

Part two will apparently bring the story up to the present day.

Worth a watch if you can.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Ian Wright presents the two part documentary on the history of black players in Britain. Part 1 was on ITV4 tonight, and will presumably be on catch-up soon. Part 2 is on ITV4 at 10pm tomorrow.

Part one's focus was on the pioneers - the first black players to really break into the pro game in England. Players like Viv Anderson, Cyrille Regis, along with some I'd forgotten like Paul Canoville. A good mix of interviews, old TV clips (some of it startling for the sheer level of overt racism) and snippets of match footage.

Part two will apparently bring the story up to the present day.

Worth a watch if you can.
Bollocks. Meant to set tape.

Catch up it is.

Reddy Rederson

The first time I remember seeing true racism in action was a rangers game, mark Walters taking a corner and bananas throw at him. Ashamed to be Scottish that day. And for mark it wasn’t the only game he had bananas thrown at him. I remember er he said in an interview that he also had golf balls and darts thrown at him. Disgusting behaviour from Scottish football fans.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
ITV make some great sporting documentaries, miles better than their actual live coverage and highlights.

Racism still lingers at times in the stands but also important to realise the huge steps Football has taken in last 30 years when you look at some of the awful scenes in the 80s when it really was rife.

Needham

Was looking for this online and came across this spat that I don't remember.

So I doubt the series will feature an Ian Wright Stan Collymore interview.

Edit: Anyone know where I can watch the doc apart from on catchup?

Last edited:

Hoof the ball

Was looking for this online and came across this spat that I don't remember.

So I doubt the series will feature an Ian Wright Stan Collymore interview.

Edit: Anyone know where I can watch the doc apart from on catchup?

Collymore is the absolute worst. Taunting Wright, making him out to be an Uncle Tom. Collymore already got in trouble for insinuating that Wright was essentially the modern equivalent of "yessir massir".

FujiVice

The fact it's shunted to itv4 instead of main broadcast tells a story in itself .
ITV4 does all the football stuff. They've only got the rights to certain footage, and these documentaries are an aquired taste because its mostly old stuff.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
The fact it's shunted to itv4 instead of main broadcast tells a story in itself .
I must admit that was my first reaction to it, but ITV4 have run a number of new football documentaries this year like "when English football ruled Europe". So, I'm guessing someone at ITV4 has a budget for it. It's also definitely a post-watershed program - there would have to be a lot more bleeps if it wasn't - and ITV are more of a "I'm a Celebrity" sort of channel when it comes to that timeslot. Still it's certainly a shame it's not on one of the main channels.

Incidentally there's a new Ian Wright article on: https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/ian-wright-earning-my-smile which makes interesting reading. It's not focused on racism as such. It's about the more personal story behind that "discovered at 21" headline and Wright's attitude to his own life story.

SirAF

Ageist
I’ve always liked Ian Wright since I saw his Wright Across America roadtrip series. Give it a watch!

stubie

I’ve always liked Ian Wright since I saw his Wright Across America roadtrip series. Give it a watch!
Each to there own but personally I cannot stand the man, comes across as rather ignorant and from a pundit point of view seems to lack any knowledge outside the top 6

SirAF

Ageist
Each to there own but personally I cannot stand the man, comes across as rather ignorant and from a pundit point of view seems to lack any knowledge outside the top 6
I haven’t heard much from him as a pundit - you are probably (w)right!

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
ITV4 does all the football stuff. They've only got the rights to certain footage, and these documentaries are an aquired taste because its mostly old stuff.
Depends on if the topic is football or racism, really. One, I can get being put on ITV4, but the other, if they really want to inform the masses, must be placed on the channel with maximum receivership.

There'll be a whole generation who have no idea how bad things used to be and this is the kind of program they need to watch to get an insight into the not-so-distant past. By putting it on ITV4, they've ensured the majority won't see it.

I'm pretty sure, say, 10:40pm after the News on ITV1 would still absolutely obliterate ITV4 at its peak time in terms of viewing figures.
I must admit that was my first reaction to it, but ITV4 have run a number of new football documentaries this year like "when English football ruled Europe". So, I'm guessing someone at ITV4 has a budget for it. It's also definitely a post-watershed program - there would have to be a lot more bleeps if it wasn't - and ITV are more of a "I'm a Celebrity" sort of channel when it comes to that timeslot. Still it's certainly a shame it's not on one of the main channels.

Incidentally there's a new Ian Wright article on: https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/ian-wright-earning-my-smile which makes interesting reading. It's not focused on racism as such. It's about the more personal story behind that "discovered at 21" headline and Wright's attitude to his own life story.
Thanks for the link, I'll have a read tonight.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Enjoyable sequence on the England team and Paul Ince in particular. Otherwise it felt like it petered out a bit towards the end of part two. Maybe because I was hoping for a bit more on the experience of current players, and current players (like their predecessors) don't want to be seen as complaining.

I think it was really at its best when it was talking to some of the players who came through on the 70s/80s. Some striking insights and reminders there. Like players saying that the first pro match they'd attended, they went to as a player - because as a kid they wouldn't have dared go the ground, emphasised by the presence of groups like the NF etc openly recruiting there.

Also interesting hearing Wright taking about the Palace owner back in '91 commenting on an interview: "The black players at this club lend the side a lot of skill and flair, but you also need white players in there to balance things up and give the team some brains and some common sense."

We might have moved on from the blanket "black players"/"white players" phrase, and these days we certainly hear more about fast/strong/athletic - but sometimes it's interesting to hear just how some of these stereotypes sound years later. Stereotypes don't wear well.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
i'll have to catch this on catch-up.

John Barnes being in it does put me off, as I can't take his opinion on racism seriously after some frankly ridiculous things he's said in the past around the Suarez/Evra incident and other things.

Needham

Enjoyable sequence on the England team and Paul Ince in particular. Otherwise it felt like it petered out a bit towards the end of part two. Maybe because I was hoping for a bit more on the experience of current players, and current players (like their predecessors) don't want to be seen as complaining.

I think it was really at its best when it was talking to some of the players who came through on the 70s/80s. Some striking insights and reminders there. Like players saying that the first pro match they'd attended, they went to as a player - because as a kid they wouldn't have dared go the ground, emphasised by the presence of groups like the NF etc openly recruiting there.

Also interesting hearing Wright taking about the Palace owner back in '91 commenting on an interview: "The black players at this club lend the side a lot of skill and flair, but you also need white players in there to balance things up and give the team some brains and some common sense."

We might have moved on from the blanket "black players"/"white players" phrase, and these days we certainly hear more about fast/strong/athletic - but sometimes it's interesting to hear just how some of these stereotypes sound years later. Stereotypes don't wear well.
Think that was Ron Noades, remember him once talking in an interview about the Crystal Palace team's "West Indian contingent". Not a great deal of consideration went into pronouncements of that sort then, specially at Palace it seems. Check out Alan Mullery talking about Vince Hilaire in the early 80s from about the 1:40 mark.